Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eldon Thompson

Started by Luke Matheson, July 09, 2009, 12:54:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke Matheson

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:04:59 pm
This went from you trying to explain why in the world your boy Thompson didnt want to play at Arkansas, to you trying to pimp your old High School.....

So, I guess you would agree there is not much difference on where he came from, to where he is now.........

Ill take that as a yes......

You dont get the point. My point was you are trying to say a 2A conference is as stout as a 4A conference which it is not, and I proved that by saying my team played and dominated in that conference and won multiple State Championships since 1990 out of it.

Also, since you want to talk about weight lifting championships, guess who won it this year?

Thats right! ;D

BTW, that 2A conference, even if my school was still in it, would not do worth a flip against the teams in Warrens conference.

Luke Matheson

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:06:27 pm
Dont use that as an excuse on why he chose Tulsa.....

What is your agenda? To pimp Tulsa? Or to make Eldon look better since he chose Tulsa, and make excuses on why he isnt getting an offer from Arkansas?

There is no agenda, it is pure fact that he does not want to play DE. I tell you what, ask Richard Davenport if Arkansas asked him to go to DE or not, then get back to me.

rzbk

Guys, are we really arguing about Rison football?

Rison was a dynasty up until the bumped up a conference, although they have been VERY good there, too.

I grew up HATING Rison. I hated them when I played them, I hated when I covered them, and I don't know but like two people from Rison I get along with - but oh my, to question Rison's greatness in Arkansas football is definitely ignorance at work.

Seriously, some of you need to get your heads out of the hole in Northwest Arkansas or Central Arkansas and realize that there ARE good football programs in the southeast besides Warren.

Clint Alan

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:07:09 pm
You dont get the point. My point was you are trying to say a 2A conference is as stout as a 4A conference which it is not, and I proved that by saying my team played and dominated in that conference and won multiple State Championships since 1990 out of it.

Also, since you want to talk about weight lifting championships, guess who won it this year?

Thats right! ;D

BTW, that 2A conference, even if my school was still in it, would not do worth a flip against the teams in Warrens conference.

And what exactly does 1990 have to do with 2009?

Yes, Im telling you he didnt make THAT BIG OF A JUMP IN ATHLETES when he switched schools/conferences.

And if anything he should have gotten better, and helped his stock by not having to play both ways.......

btw, 4 of the teams in that weak 4A conference, had 5 wins or less last year
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

Clint Alan

Quote from: rzbk on July 09, 2009, 06:10:34 pm
Guys, are we really arguing about Rison football?

Rison was a dynasty up until the bumped up a conference, although they have been VERY good there, too.

I grew up HATING Rison. I hated them when I played them, I hated when I covered them, and I don't know but like two people from Rison I get along with - but oh my, to question Rison's greatness in Arkansas football is definitely ignorance at work.

Seriously, some of you need to get your heads out of the hole in Northwest Arkansas or Central Arkansas and realize that there ARE good football programs in the southeast besides Warren.

This isnt about Rison.....This is about the athletes not being that much better than the conference he came from......

Jethro turned it into a Alma Mater Pump Fest......
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

Luke Matheson

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:12:56 pm
And what exactly does 1990 have to do with 2009?

Yes, Im telling you he didnt make THAT BIG OF A JUMP IN ATHLETES when he switched schools/conferences.

And if anything he should have gotten better, and helped his stock by not having to play both ways.......

btw, 4 of the teams in that weak 4A conference, had 5 wins or less last year

And those 4 teams would have had winning records in the 2A conference you are mentioning. The 8-4A now is the 7-AA East of the 90's. If you are really a 2A fan, you will know what I am talking about.

rzbk

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:06:27 pm
Dont use that as an excuse on why he chose Tulsa.....

What is your agenda? To pimp Tulsa? Or to make Eldon look better since he chose Tulsa, and make excuses on why he isnt getting an offer from Arkansas?

Who said he has an agenda?  He has an agenda no more than you do.  That's a stupid argument, Rubmyhog, and I have a lot of respect for you opinions on here usually.

He can defend a kid he thinks has talent just like you can degrade a kid who you think doesn't.  That's how the world works.

Clint Alan

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:08:01 pm
There is no agenda, it is pure fact that he does not want to play DE. I tell you what, ask Richard Davenport if Arkansas asked him to go to DE or not, then get back to me.

So, you are telling me, that had he agreed to play DE, he would have an offer sitting on his table from Arkansas right now?

When we are chasing 4* DEs across the country?

OK

Luke Matheson

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:14:18 pm
This isnt about Rison.....This is about the athletes not being that much better than the conference he came from......

I only brought the facts of the matter after YOU said Rison didn't do much after 1995. All I did was prove you wrong on the matter, and now you want to try to twist the matter. Had you not made the comment that Rison did not do much after 1995, this would have never been brought up.

Luke Matheson

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:15:43 pm
So, you are telling me, that had he agreed to play DE, he would have an offer sitting on his table from Arkansas right now?

When we are chasing 4* DEs across the country?

OK

No, I am not saying he would have an offer at all, but I am saying that he would be getting serious consideration for an offer and would be getting serious evaluation for an offer.

Clint Alan

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:14:53 pm
And those 4 teams would have had winning records in the 2A conference you are mentioning. The 8-4A now is the 7-AA East of the 90's. If you are really a 2A fan, you will know what I am talking about.

Once again, he didnt move into a superior atheltic conference........

EOT

Luke Matheson

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:17:09 pm
Once again, he didnt move into a superior atheltic conference........

EOT

Do you realize how many D1 players have come out of Warrens conference just in the past 3 years? Honestly?

Clint Alan

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:16:06 pm
I only brought the facts of the matter after YOU said Rison didn't do much after 1995. All I did was prove you wrong on the matter, and now you want to try to twist the matter. Had you not made the comment that Rison did not do much after 1995, this would have never been brought up.

And they didnt......when I was in school, Rison was worried about as much as Woodlawn or Hermitage

rzbk

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:14:18 pm

How can you say athletes aren't better than the conference they came from?

Tell that to someone like that nobody QB at Texas from last year.  Oh yeah, wait what's his name?  He's a nobody because he came from a 2A school.  He'll never make it at the college level.  such a bust. Really?  Seriously?  Get a grip people.

Clint Alan

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:17:54 pm
Do you realize how many D1 players have come out of Warrens conference just in the past 3 years? Honestly?

Do you realize how many players are in the NFL from the 2A conference, from 1999 til now?

Ill hang up and listen......

Luke Matheson

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:18:17 pm
And they didnt......when I was in school, Rison was worried about as much as Woodlawn or Hermitage

OMG, you are seriously misinformed man. Woodlawn was NEVER worried about until the past 3 years when they finally had a winning season, in a 4 team conference.

Luke Matheson

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:19:13 pm
Do you realize how many players are in the NFL from the 2A conference, from 1999 til now?

Ill hang up and listen......

Yes I am, and answer my questions as well.

BTW, I am VERY good friends with one of those NFLers from 2A

philobeddoe

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:07:09 pm

Thats right! ;D

Tried to stay out of it but couldn't help it.  Look at the total points. 

http://recruiting.arkansasonline.com/?p=2199

Clint Alan

Quote from: rzbk on July 09, 2009, 06:18:42 pm
How can you say athletes aren't better than the conference they came from?

Tell that to someone like that nobody QB at Texas from last year.  Oh yeah, wait what's his name?  He's a nobody because he came from a 2A school.  He'll never make it at the college level.  such a bust. Really?  Seriously?  Get a grip people.

I dont think you are following me here.......

I am saying, Thompson, when he made his jump from Bearden, to Warren, did not make that big of a step as far as being in a challenging/athletic gifted conference.....

This is my argument......My argument isnt that 2A teams would run all over 4A teams........My argument is, he came from the most competitive, 2A conference in the state......He played top athletes there, just like he does at Warren, which is a 4A school.....

Do you see what I am saying now?

Luke Matheson

Quote from: philobeddoe on July 09, 2009, 06:22:01 pm
Tried to stay out of it but couldn't help it.  Look at the total points. 

http://recruiting.arkansasonline.com/?p=2199

Good find, and my mistake. It was just 3A they won.

Clint Alan

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:20:00 pm
OMG, you are seriously misinformed man. Woodlawn was NEVER worried about until the past 3 years when they finally had a winning season, in a 4 team conference.

Which is my point........

You really dont catch on very fast do you?

Luke Matheson

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:22:02 pm

I am saying, Thompson, when he made his jump from Bearden, to Warren, did not make that big of a step as far as being in a challenging/athletic gifted conference.....

This is my argument......My argument isnt that 2A teams would run all over 4A teams........My argument is, he came from the most competitive, 2A conference in the state......He played top athletes there, just like he does at Warren, which is a 4A school.....

I have understood what you have been saying all along, and my point is that other than Byran Jones, the talent in the 2A conference does not compare to the talent in the 4A conference. It is a matter of size of the town, and having more kids, just like a 4A conference couldn't compare to a 7A conference because there are more kids to pick from and with more kids you are bound to have more talent.

tulsafan101010

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 05:57:19 pm
BOTTOM LINE

There is not that much difference in the athletic ability of where he came from, to where he went......the competition in the conference he came from, and the one he went to, is not that much different......

LIKE I SAID BEFORE, if anything, he should have gotten better at Warren, because he doesnt have to play BOTH WAYS, like he had to at Bearden....

There is a reason Arkansas didnt offer him......There is a reason Tulsa did.....

Arkansas offered contingent on a position change.

Luke Matheson

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:24:25 pm
Which is my point........

You really dont catch on very fast do you?

What years did you go to school? Answer me that, because Rison, other than 97 and 98 had everyone worried, and those years were due to a coach who didnt give a crap. Once Totty came in, he turned it around in 2 short seasons, and put Rison back into dominance. I've provided the win loss records already.

SquidBilly

Listen if the kid is willing to go to Tulsa just so he doesn't have to play DE then so be it.  However if D1 coaches from the SEC do not think LB is his best position then I think if I were him I'd listen.  Sure Tulsa can promise him a LB spot to get him on campus, they need all the athletes they can get and they have to promise things like that to get the players.  What is Eldon going to do though if he signs with Tulsa and then they ask him to make the switch to DE, quit?  His SEC options won't be there anymore and he may well wind up at DE anyway.

Clint Alan

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:25:11 pm
I have understood what you have been saying all along, and my point is that other than Byran Jones, the talent in the 2A conference does not compare to the talent in the 4A conference. It is a matter of size of the town, and having more kids, just like a 4A conference couldn't compare to a 7A conference because there are more kids to pick from and with more kids you are bound to have more talent.

Bigger=/=Better, Im sorry.........

I will continue to disagree with you.....That 4A conference Warren is in, isnt anything special.......at all.....and is certainly nothing to boast about......

Luke Matheson

Quote from: ATLpiggie on July 09, 2009, 06:27:07 pm
Listen if the kid is willing to go to Tulsa just so he doesn't have to play DE then so be it.  However if D1 coaches from the SEC do not think LB is his best position then I think if I were him I'd listen.  Sure Tulsa can promise him a LB spot to get him on campus, they need all the athletes they can get and they have to promise things like that to get the players.  What is Eldon going to do though if he signs with Tulsa and then they ask him to make the switch to DE, quit?  His SEC options won't be there anymore and he may well wind up at DE anyway.

I asked him, and Coach Hembree asked him that same question. He knows he is taking a chance of that as well.

Clint Alan

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:26:51 pm
What years did you go to school? Answer me that, because Rison, other than 97 and 98 had everyone worried, and those years were due to a coach who didnt give a crap. Once Totty came in, he turned it around in 2 short seasons, and put Rison back into dominance. I've provided the win loss records already.

Clint Alan

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:28:22 pm
I asked him, and Coach Hembree asked him that same question. He knows he is taking a chance of that as well.

So basically, you just went back on your entire days worth of arguing......

rzbk

He played well against players in the 4A, too.  How else would he garner attention?

If that's still not matching up with the point you're trying to make, it's because I'm not going back to read this whole thread - but I'll put it this way:

Eldon jumped to 4A to play for a team that is CONTINUALLY the BIGGEST MATCHUP on every 4A team's calender.  EVERYONE wants a shot at Warren, because they're always so good.  Eldon had to be prepared for an opponent's best shot day in and day out, and Hembree prepared him for that.  Every player has an adjustment period.

Luke Matheson

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 09, 2009, 06:29:21 pm
So basically, you just went back on your entire days worth of arguing......

No, I am saying he realizes there is that chance, but Tulsa has told him they want him at LB, and considering they are going to need to fill their entire LB corp his freshman season, he believed them.

Clint Alan

Quote from: tulsafan101010 on July 09, 2009, 06:26:28 pm
Arkansas offered contingent on a position change.

Im sorry, what?

philobeddoe

DING DING DING!!!!!!!!    This is what it all boils down to.  I wish the kid luck and hope he turns out to be great at whatever position he ends up playing.  Keep in mind that he is just that......A KID.  I don't know about you folks, but my parents and former coaches and teachers look a lot smarter now than they did 20 years ago when I was going into my senior year in high school.

Clint Alan

Quote from: philobeddoe on July 09, 2009, 06:36:34 pm
DING DING DING!!!!!!!!    This is what it all boils down to.  I wish the kid luck and hope he turns out to be great at whatever position he ends up playing.  Keep in mind that he is just that......A KID.  I don't know about you folks, but my parents and former coaches and teachers look a lot smarter now than they did 20 years ago when I was going into my senior year in high school.

I dunno.......I still think Im smarter than my High School English teacher.....

SquidBilly

Eldon also needs to consider what playing DE means.  DeMarcus Ware is a DE/LB and it has served him well.  Eldon may well have had the same type of role at Arkansas.  I remember reading on here about Tank Wright who was recruited at LB a year ago and has now been moved to that hybrid DE/LB position.  Eldon really needs to think long and hard about the DE position.  A good pass rushing DE is more sought after than an OLB which is what Eldon likely would be.

Luke Matheson

Okay, how about this. Lets list the D1, SEC caliber athletes in Junction City's 2A conference, and then Warren's 4A conference

We will list kids who are getting SEC interest, and not just offers.

2A: Byran Jones, Davidell Collins

4A: Antonio Harding, Raheim Alford, Darion Griswold, Grant Gill, Hayden Smith, Eldon Thompson, Aaron Dennis, Tevon Tyson, Trey Daniels, Sage Gasaway,.

I would say the 4A conference is by far more athletic.

If I am missing any, feel free to add them, for both conferences.

Tusks

good luck to ET....seems like a good fit.

he might have made it to the show at DE for the hogs.....but we'll never know.

I'm not a Tulsa fan but he could have done worse.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

TheGerman

Thompson will be a solid player at Tulsa but Arkansas still hasn't even offered Mitchell Roberts yet and he would manhandle Eldon Thompson.

WOODSHOG

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:02:18 pm
Once again, he HAS gotten better at Warren, he just does not want to play DE like Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Auburn asked him to.
He's a good kid from a good family. Don't underestimate his tutelage he received from the Bearden coaches either.

Luke Matheson

Quote from: WOODSHOG on July 09, 2009, 09:24:12 pm
He's a good kid from a good family. Don't underestimate his tutelage he received from the Bearden coaches either.

Agreed 100%

Clint Alan

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 09:32:08 pm
Agreed 100%

ArkVar, we agree to disagree.......Ill leave it at that......

No hard feelings, alright?

rub

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:01:31 pm
I tuck tail and run? You are the one who is yet to answer the question.

Rison

1990 11-3 State Champs

1991 12-0-1 State Champs

1992 7-4

1993 10-3

1994 31-1

1995 15-0 State Champs

1996 8-4

1997 6-6

1998 6-6

1999 8-4-1

2000 14-2 State Champs

2001 9-3

2002 11-1

2003 11-1

2004 14-0 State Champs

Need I go further. Once again, I ask, who is your school, since Rison hasn't done anything?

31 wins in 1994? What a year!!!!

by the way, rzbk, you said you were going to post and then leave this thread. Someone told a fib.......
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

#1 STUNNA

Quote from: ArkVar on July 09, 2009, 06:48:54 pm
Okay, how about this. Lets list the D1, SEC caliber athletes in Junction City's 2A conference, and then Warren's 4A conference

We will list kids who are getting SEC interest, and not just offers.

2A: Byran Jones, Davidell Collins

4A: Antonio Harding, Raheim Alford, Darion Griswold, Grant Gill, Hayden Smith, Eldon Thompson, Aaron Dennis, Tevon Tyson, Trey Daniels, Sage Gasaway,.

I would say the 4A conference is by far more athletic.

If I am missing any, feel free to add them, for both conferences.

Also, Jalen Cobb a SO WR from warren holds a offer from arkansas state, and will probably end up one of the best receivers ever to play at warren.

And Warren alone has probably produced more d1 players than beardans conference since the the year 2000. And the 8-4a usually produces the best athletes in the state year in and year out, and thats even counting the mighty 7a schools.

ListenHereMister

Did Harvill not compete in the State Weightlifting contest?
I saw Matt Hall's brother and Byran Jones, but did not see Harvill.

tulsafan101010

Listen if the kid is willing to go to Tulsa just so he doesn't have to play DE then so be it.  However if D1 coaches from the SEC do not think LB is his best position then I think if I were him I'd listen.

Sort of like how SEC coaches thought that Charles Clay's best position was LB and now he's the top-rated fullback in the 2011 draft class?

KAHog

I don't know which is more sad.  The fact that I actually stayed with this thread or the fact that people are still stuck in high school glory days.

oldman1015

Quote from: tulsafan101010 on July 10, 2009, 09:00:38 am
Sort of like how SEC coaches thought that Charles Clay's best position was LB and now he's the top-rated fullback in the 2011 draft class?
how many fullbacks will be drafted?
Arkansas, the left lane state.

SquidBilly

I'll take top 10 LB money over #1 FB money any day of the week.  FBs do not get paid well in the NFL at all.

Carl Lazlo

A Warren native/ex football player told me Eldon was kindof soft or more precisely "lacks a mean streak."  Whether or not that's completely accurate remains to be seen, imo.  I can say that the person that told me is really close to the situation. 

Oklahawg

The one SEC coach we all chat about regarding Clay didn't think he had a position at UA. Doofus.

Clay might have been enough to turn at least one loss into a win the last two years for UA. His impact at FB would have been that real.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra