Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is going on with Winston?

Started by hog_fan, July 06, 2009, 09:52:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackntexas

I personally don't understand what all this crap is about. Every one of us was sooo excited about getting DW, now some of you are talking this crap? Personally, I'm stoked to have him, and our incoming class. If he's the best DB, put him on the field. PERIOD.
Quote from: losthawg68 on June 03, 2010, 02:26:15 am
This dude has some superhot friends and his girl is also in the upper echelon of scenery.

TomasPistola

Quote from: razorbackntexas on July 10, 2009, 06:40:35 pm
I personally don't understand what all this crap is about. Every one of us was sooo excited about getting DW, now some of you are talking this crap? Personally, I'm stoked to have him, and our incoming class. If he's the best DB, put him on the field. PERIOD.

I think there is some subtext between Footballmaniac and kobe you might not be picking up on.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

rihog

Quote from: footballmaniac on July 10, 2009, 05:51:52 pm
I only watched one of his games last season.  semifinal 5a.  Lined up on a sophomore and got sucked in by play action, TD.  I'm not debating his coverage skills.  When the ball's in the air and he's close to it, he's good.  It's just everything else that comes with playing football.  The nuances so to speak.  Plus the SEC is alot harder competition than 5a football.  Having said that I hope he proves me wrong and at least makes the all-sec freshman team.

I've watched several of his games from last season, take what I say with a grain of salt, but the kid is big time. DW is very good, better than you are giving him credit for. Nice that you have made your opinion up after only watching one game. At least you are open-minded about things.

My scouting report on DW is this:
Great speed, can cover a lot of ground in a hurry.
Has a nice vert, attacks the ball at the highest point.
Very good coverage skills, for a kid with his exp level.
Like his agility, doesn't appear stiff in the hips, has a nice fluid change of direction movement.
Physcially dominates smaller recievers, will be a little tougher to do in college.

Overall, this is an outstanding prospect that could play for any team in the country. Look for DW to make an immediate impact in the secondary.
Our biggest strength is that we don't have any weaknesses;
Our biggest weakness is that we don't have any strengths. -J. Frank Broyles

throwtheball

July 10, 2009, 08:35:57 pm #103 Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 08:46:21 pm by throwtheball
I actually agree with both of them.  DW appears to be a great corner and I really can't wait to see him play on Saturdays, but he is a true freshman and the SEC is a huge step up from any high school.  So until he gets to the Hill and shows what he can do against SEC caliber players then it's all pure speculation by fans that are wanting him to live up to the hype.

Hopefully he'll be Houston/Carroll/Atwater/Kennedy all rolled into one package and a three time All American.

southeasthog

Quote from: Hawg2011 on July 10, 2009, 08:18:27 pm
Seems like two folks with a personal stake.
LOVE your sig Hawg. One of the best lines in a movie along with. "Yes, it's me. I'm not against you guys. Settle down. I'm just looking for a guy...who calls himself...not yet...

Antonio Banderas-Desperado.

kobe24

July 11, 2009, 07:22:07 am #105 Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:24:15 am by kobe24
maniac it funny you mention that play we were talking about that  play the the other day , they are so short on coaches in helena DW actually coaches the secondary for the cougar on that particular play DC who doesn't know anything about the secondary kept telling DW you have to play the run 1st and DW kept telling him no i have a man in front of me so i have to take care of that 1st so that went on for awhile , so they came with the fake option and DW just let the man run rite by him cause the coach kept telling him to play the run so he prove his point, even tho it cause them a TD the kid knows what he is doing, he isn't your avg HS kid, and i dont even know maniac every since he committed to the hogs last Feb this guy has been bashing him, so he is a DW hater, so that answer your ? if he would've gotten suck in on that weak ass playaction forreal i would've been on his ass but he saw that crap from a mile away, you see yall couldn't get it anymore that nite he gave you that gift

smun83

I think people are getting anxious for Darius to make it to the hill.  If a person's smite ratio is that bad is probably for a reason.  Hey Kobe, how is Darius?  Is he in good spirits while waiting on the NCAA?  I know this can be a nerve-wrecking process for us fans but we have to realize its even more nerve-wrecking for the player.

SPAL

Quote from: kobe24 on July 11, 2009, 07:22:07 am
maniac it funny you mention that play we were talking about that  play the the other day , they are so short on coaches in helena DW actually coaches the secondary for the cougar on that particular play DC who doesn't know anything about the secondary kept telling DW you have to play the run 1st and DW kept telling him no i have a man in front of me so i have to take care of that 1st so that went on for awhile , so they came with the fake option and DW just let the man run rite by him cause the coach kept telling him to play the run so he prove his point, even tho it cause them a TD the kid knows what he is doing, he isn't your avg HS kid, and i dont even know maniac every since he committed to the hogs last Feb this guy has been bashing him, so he is a DW hater, so that answer your ? if he would've gotten suck in on that weak ass playaction forreal i would've been on his ass but he saw that crap from a mile away, you see yall couldn't get it anymore that nite he gave you that gift

Kobe, i am as excited about DW as the next guy. In fact, i think he will have a huge impact on our defense. However, are you saying that DW let a guy get by him on purpose to prove a point to his coach in the semifinals of a state tourney?

Greenhog

Kobe24,

Don't worry bout that guy, and your right he has been a hater since day 1!! We are very lucky your nephew chose to play for Arkansas and he will be an All American before it's said and done! I watched a couple of his games this year and he is the best corner I've ever seen in high school. I have a question how did DW do when he matched against Cruz Williams and Jarius Wright? I watched Jarius play in Warren & would love to have seen him and Darius go at it all night, b/c that kid was also special.

Greenhog

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 11, 2009, 10:28:22 am
Kobe, i am as excited about DW as the next guy. In fact, i think he will have a huge impact on our defense. However, are you saying that DW let a guy get by him on purpose to prove a point to his coach in the semifinals of a state tourney?

No, he is saying that his defensive coordinator was guessing run & kept telling Darius to  bite on the play action b/c he thought it was a run play. Darius wants to play man first & then run, which I think is a smart decision, b/c you don't give up the big play. He wasn't trying to let the guy get by him to prove a point, but when you commit to a run play & it's a bomb that is going to happen.

hog_fan

Any updates? We are around 3 weeks to Fall Practice.

ListenHereMister

Good question.  How long does the NCAA take?

Wild Bill Hog

Anyone doubting DW needs to doubt their own sanity.  The kid is big time.

Zen_Hog

Quote from: ListenHereMister on July 13, 2009, 12:58:04 pm
Good question.  How long does the NCAA take?

Last year it went as far as week 2 of fall practice for Albert Gary for the NCAA to not clear him.

The Hogfather

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on July 11, 2009, 10:28:22 am

Holy crap, he did say that!  That's not good.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Greenhog on July 11, 2009, 10:40:14 am
No, he is saying that his defensive coordinator was guessing run & kept telling Darius to  bite on the play action b/c he thought it was a run play. Darius wants to play man first & then run, which I think is a smart decision, b/c you don't give up the big play. He wasn't trying to let the guy get by him to prove a point, but when you commit to a run play & it's a bomb that is going to happen.

Quote from: kobe24 on July 11, 2009, 07:22:07 am

TomasPistola

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 13, 2009, 01:33:57 pm

I'm not going to be upset at DW doing what his coach told him to do - right or wrong. If the coach told DW to play the run and it caused the guy WR he was covering to score a TD - it's on the coach. Players should do what the coaches tell them to do.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: rihog on July 10, 2009, 06:54:53 pm
I've watched several of his games from last season, take what I say with a grain of salt, but the kid is big time. DW is very good, better than you are giving him credit for. Nice that you have made your opinion up after only watching one game. At least you are open-minded about things.

My scouting report on DW is this:
Great speed, can cover a lot of ground in a hurry.
Has a nice vert, attacks the ball at the highest point.
Very good coverage skills, for a kid with his exp level.
Like his agility, doesn't appear stiff in the hips, has a nice fluid change of direction movement.
Physcially dominates smaller recievers, will be a little tougher to do in college.

Overall, this is an outstanding prospect that could play for any team in the country. Look for DW to make an immediate impact in the secondary.

I do not disagree with this assessment.  That doesn't always translate to production on the next level.  However as I stated I hope it does.

Two things:
I told buck a day or two before the game that the only two players DW had to worry about was Rayford(the soph that caught the td) and Jones.  You don't try to PROVE a coach wrong in a one point state touney game. Later in that same game DW got very lucky in his coverage.  He tipped a pass straight up in the air and Jones almost got under it for what would of been the go ahead TD.  Jones was about a 4.6 forty guy.  So you can make your assumption on what would have happened with a faster kid.  I'm a Monticello fan but, I'm a bigger UA fan and wanted to see Darius shine in the game.  If I'm smarter than a high school coach than that's just sad.  Although I feel like Buck is just making up an excuse for DW.  Any coach in his right mind would not tell a corner to bite on play action.  You've got 7 to 8 guys infront of a corner and  there job is run support.   

Second thing
Most of my bad karma points are from me questioning DW's hype and arguing with posters on here about the no roughing call on our punter two years ago at Bama. (still think he got roughed)  back to the point.  The only other game I've watch DW was his jr. year against monticello.  That's when I watch a 4.7 forty qb run past him and basically control the whole game.  So when Buck gets on here and states that he will take current (enrolled) hogs spots, it make me a little frustrated.  Wait till he proves something then I'll take mine well done. 

bighog77

Quote from: footballmaniac on July 13, 2009, 03:04:34 pm
I do not disagree with this assessment.  That doesn't always translate to production on the next level.  However as I stated I hope it does.

Two things:
I told buck a day or two before the game that the only two players DW had to worry about was Rayford(the soph that caught the td) and Jones.  You don't try to PROVE a coach wrong in a one point state touney game. Later in that same game DW got very lucky in his coverage.  He tipped a pass straight up in the air and Jones almost got under it for what would of been the go ahead TD.  Jones was about a 4.6 forty guy.  So you can make your assumption on what would have happened with a faster kid.  I'm a Monticello fan but, I'm a bigger UA fan and wanted to see Darius shine in the game.  If I'm smarter than a high school coach than that's just sad.  Although I feel like Buck is just making up an excuse for DW.  Any coach in his right mind would not tell a corner to bite on play action.  You've got 7 to 8 guys infront of a corner and  there job is run support.   

Second thing
Most of my bad karma points are from me questioning DW's hype and arguing with posters on here about the no roughing call on our punter two years ago at Bama. (still think he got roughed)  back to the point.  The only other game I've watch DW was his jr. year against monticello.  That's when I watch a 4.7 forty qb run past him and basically control the whole game.  So when Buck gets on here and states that he will take current (enrolled) hogs spots, it make me a little frustrated.  Wait till he proves something then I'll take mine well done. 

Maybe if you dont like a Uncle bragging about his nephew then you should refrain to read his posts.

Choctaw Hog

Footballmanic,

Get over yourself.  Apparently you have an axe to grind about DW and you make it perfectly clear.  You come on here acting like you are some sort of great talent evaluator but you're not and he has nothing to prove, especially to you. 

DW will be a fantastic player at the U of A and (and probably the NFL) and I fully expect him to contribute significantly this year whether it's in a starting role or not.  However, I do think he will be starting sooner rather than later.  There, how's that for an "expert" opinion? 

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: bighog77 on July 13, 2009, 04:34:45 pm
Maybe if you dont like a Uncle bragging about his nephew then you should refrain to read his posts.

Maybe he should refrain from reading mine.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on July 13, 2009, 04:51:08 pm
Footballmanic,

Get over yourself.  Apparently you have an axe to grind about DW and you make it perfectly clear.  You come on here acting like you are some sort of great talent evaluator but you're not and he has nothing to prove, especially to you. 

DW will be a fantastic player at the U of A and (and probably the NFL) and I fully expect him to contribute significantly this year whether it's in a starting role or not.  However, I do think he will be starting sooner rather than later.  There, how's that for an "expert" opinion? 

good for you

Clint Alan

Two things:

Second thing

Stop going after posters, and targeting incoming recruits.......

Its his nephew, he has every right to boast about him, as he should be very proud of everything Darius has accomplished up to this point....He has done nothing but impress so far in his career, so why should his uncle think any differently now?

Hogville is very fortunate to have family members of recruits/players that post here....I dont want to see them run off, because you have an agenda....They bring great info to the board, we otherwise wouldnt get....

So with that, lay off

"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

kobe24

maniac we fina

Two things:

Second thing
[/quote

we finally agree thats the problen we dont have good coaches and they told him to do that so he did, this kid is special and everyone  will see for themselves

jrw11475

big john

cornerback signee Darius Winston is good to go ;D
john goodwin

The Hogfather

Quote from: kobe24 on July 06, 2009, 05:22:12 pm
he is good has been cleared by the UofA just waiting on the clearinghouse to finish what ever it is they do, but in the mean time  winston is getting bigger and faster he measured 6'0 182 and ran 4.3 the other day, if he is cleared he will have madison job in a week

If he does, I will be very impressed.  I doubt he does.  That doesn't mean that I think DW will not be as good as advertised.  But, apparently, Madison is really stepping it up and has an experience edge on DW.  We'll see:

http://nwanews.com/nwat/Sports/78179/

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 13, 2009, 05:43:20 pm
Stop going after posters, and targeting incoming recruits.......

Its his nephew, he has every right to boast about him, as he should be very proud of everything Darius has accomplished up to this point....He has done nothing but impress so far in his career, so why should his uncle think any differently now?

Hogville is very fortunate to have family members of recruits/players that post here....I dont want to see them run off, because you have an agenda....They bring great info to the board, we otherwise wouldnt get....

So with that, lay off

Contrary to popular belief, I do not have an "agenda."