Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What is going on with Winston?

Started by hog_fan, July 06, 2009, 09:52:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hog_fan

He is one of the few we are waiting on. Oden and Thomas have both been cleared. Crimm and the DE are at AR Baptist taking classes. I believe Henderson has been basically ruled out. Not sure about Leon.

We keep being told he has the GPA required and the ACT score yet we have been rumors for months now he won't make it. We are now being told UA has cleared him, but his High School screwed up so clearing house hasn't cleared him. How could one clear him and not the other if his transcript is wrong.

Seems odd a High school could screw up taking his transcript copying it and mailing it. Per razorback talk .com the lastest rumor is coaching staff is preparing as if they won't have him. Think about it. If his High School made an error and they corrected it the NCAA might look at that and think something is going on.

And is good where are all these rumors coming from?

BigErn

According to his uncle, he is fine but there was just some hang-ups. I understand the anxiety b/c he is arguably the best player in the class but all we can do is wait at this point b/c the best source we have (a family member) says everything is fine.

I am also very worried b/c he would be a HUGE loss to this class but I guess all we can do is wait.

Hawgvillain

July 06, 2009, 10:29:00 am #2 Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:22:41 am by Hawgvillain
I don't know what will happen with Winston but it's probably not accurate to say "it's being reported on RT."  One guy on RT said that he heard a rumor.  None of the mods have commented or confirmed...

Hogbody

hog_fan

Quote from: Hawgvillain on July 06, 2009, 10:29:00 am
I don't know what will happen with Winston but it's probably not accurate to say "it's being reported on RT.  One guy on RT said that he heard a rumor."  None of the mods have commented or confirmed...

Like hogbody said I didn't say it was reported.  I said it was a rumor. Might just be another rumor and nothing to it.

Porkette

I don't believe his uncle hasn't mentioned anything about him being fine in quite a while now. He made the ACT and GPA and was cleared by the UA, but the clearinghouse is different. It's a different step of the process. Hopefully it works out, but there appear to be uncertainties right now and it's a little worrisome.
GO HOGS GO!

Hawgvillain

Fair enough - I just wanted to make sure that "Per RT" didn't get misinterpreted. 

I'm definitely beginning to worry about all the silence from those in the know...

SemperHawg

Should it be a concern that the Mods or people in the "know" aren't touching this thread?

SquidBilly

Quote from: SemperHawg on July 06, 2009, 04:12:35 pm
Should it be a concern that the Mods or people in the "know" aren't touching this thread?

TomHog and the other mods in the recruiting forum don't like to speculate or feed rumors about stuff like this unless they have some hard facts.  They don't believe it to be fair to the kids.  Kobe was last active on here yesterday so when he logs back in and sees this thread he will likely provide more info if he has it.  Until then I'm not worried about it.

Clint Alan

Quote from: SemperHawg on July 06, 2009, 04:12:35 pm

I would say No. There are no insiders when it comes to the NCAA Clearing House. They do it their way, at their pace, and dont really give a darn.

His uncle was on here just over a week ago, and stated everything looked good....I will continue to think that, until something solid comes along to make me believe differently.
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

SemperHawg

Quote from: ATLpiggie on July 06, 2009, 04:17:43 pm
TomHog and the other mods in the recruiting forum don't like to speculate or feed rumors about stuff like this unless they have some hard facts.  They don't believe it to be fair to the kids.  Kobe was last active on here yesterday so when he logs back in and sees this thread he will likely provide more info if he has it.  Until then I'm not worried about it.
Cool man, here's to hoping its just a bunch of people inventing things to worry about over the long hot summer.

Bogustus

Quote from: rubmyHOG on July 06, 2009, 04:18:11 pm
I would say No. There are no insiders when it comes to the NCAA Clearing House. They do it their way, at their pace, and dont really give a darn.

His uncle was on here just over a week ago, and stated everything looked good....I will continue to think that, until something solid comes along to make me believe differently.

Yeah, his uncle said that the high school screwed up his transcipt and they had to fix the problem and resend them (I think that was his basic statement).

Tusks

I hate its up to the NCAA at this point.  I have never seen an organization with less oversight and a complete lack of remorse for their mistakes.

They are worse than the government to cover up their mistakes and pass the buck....plus they have no legal appeal process.

If they decide they dont like Winstons transcript they can punt it without any legal recourse.

I hate them.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

kobe24

he is good has been cleared by the UofA just waiting on the clearinghouse to finish what ever it is they do, but in the mean time  winston is getting bigger and faster he measured 6'0 182 and ran 4.3 the other day, if he is cleared he will have madison job in a week

Oklahawg

I believe Kobe would say that "being his uncle means jack to the NCAA Clearinghouse". Interpretation: anything Kobe tells us is meaningless until the NCAA makes its decision. The NCAA trumps UA/SEC and certainly trumps any HS you care to mention.

Having typed that somewhat sober message, one of the problems with passing through the Clearinghouse has to do with how various High School's classify/label their courses. Let me give you an example from a different perspective, that of certification.

Under No Child Left Behind (NCLB) all classroom teachers are to be "highly qualified" for a school to meet NCLB benchmarks. Here's how one school I used to work for dealt with a course: "Humanities" was being taught by a teacher certified in speech/debate/theater/English. That was fine. For a history teacher to cover the course it was changed to "World Events and Culture". Same textbook. Different description.

What a number of athletes run into is getting enough electives certified. The courses often have to be re-labeled by the HS to meet clearinghouse guidelines. And, the Clearinghouse has been known to rule favorably on a class not meeting their guidelines because the school provided appropriate documentation regarding its "academic rigor".

Finally, some math classes leading up to Algebra I require a specific title to count. Same with science leading up to Biology I. It can be a simple matter of semantics that the school clarifies for the Clearinghouse. It can also be a matter of the school actually changing the course title so that it meets Clearinghouse specifications. That's not as ominous as it sounds - if the school feels its course meets the requirements set forth by the NCAA they can alter the title (usually takes school board action) so that its graduate receives "due credit" for the work completed.

That's a lot of BS to sort through, going both directions.

There are other matters that can impact this. For example, if a teacher changed a core course grade it may require documentation from the school and/or the teacher. And, if the student took coursework in the summer from another HS that can require similar documentation. The final stumbling block I can envision is a co-enrollment situation, where a class is taken for both college credit and HS credit at a nearby college or university.

Then again, it might be an easy answer :)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Zen_Hog

Kobe, how come Winston never ran track? Or if he did, what were his times in events?

kobe24

he doesnt like track but his fastest time was 10.5

Zen_Hog

Quote from: kobe24 on July 06, 2009, 05:39:31 pm
he doesnt like track but his fastest time was 10.5

Dang that is fast especially without training most likely.

lovethosehogs

thanks kobe 24 i can not wait till he is on campus. wps

asparkm

Quote from: kobe24 on July 06, 2009, 05:22:12 pm
he is good has been cleared by the UofA just waiting on the clearinghouse to finish what ever it is they do, but in the mean time  winston is getting bigger and faster he measured 6'0 182 and ran 4.3 the other day, if he is cleared he will have madison job in a week

I hope so... I got tired of Madison getting constantly burned last year.

hog_fan

Quote from: Hawg2011 on July 06, 2009, 07:06:16 pm
I hope he doesn't bring that kinda attitude, it's one thing to be confident in your abilities...and another to be targeting specific players with which to take their job. It's a team sport, not individual.

However, I am glad to hear that Issac "Burnt Toast" Madison can rest some after Winston gets here :D.

I think he said that because Madision is starter at the position he will play. Two different CB position and he is going to play the one Madison holds.

hawgsmellgud

I hope he doesn't bring that kinda attitude, it's one thing to be confident in your abilities...and another to be targeting specific players with which to take their job. It's a team sport, not individual.

However, I am glad to hear that Issac "Burnt Toast" Madison can rest some after Winston gets here :D.

that is just an uncle being proud of his nephew, and doing a little trash talking on his behalf.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

kobe24

he isnt that kind of kid this is me talking so dont take this the wrong way madison plays the feild corner and thats were DW WILL BE PLAYING

blu

We all appreciate you keeping us up to date, and we all look forward to seeing your nephew on the field this fall.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

COCHISE

Personally, I hope every incoming freshman comes in with the attitude and intention of taking the starting job from the current starter.  You can bet your arse Madison has/will step his game up knowing that Darius is on the way and that does help the team.

SquidBilly

If we don't have some freshmen starting this year I will be shocked and disappointed.  We have a few areas where we were awfully undermanned depth and talent wise last year and it showed a lot.  CB is just one of those positions.  If we weren't able to fill those needs in recruiting I don't know what we'll do because if there was an answer on campus last season I'm sure the coaches would've played them.

pigzwillrise

cant wait to see darius picking passes and taking them to the house... he is going to be a very special CB

DezNuttstehsuq

Quote from: lovethosehogs on July 06, 2009, 05:42:05 pm
thanks kobe 24 i can not wait till he is on campus. wps

So Kobe no one has asked.....How pumped are you to see D in action this fall at the flagship breaking heads with the big boys of the SEC....

athunt

Madison got burned more times last year than my thumbs last saturday
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

Carl Lazlo

Broadway and Norton at boundary and field.  With Crim, Gordon, Winston and Madison fighting it out for the nickel and dime spots.

athunt

Quote from: footballmaniac on July 06, 2009, 09:52:58 pm
Broadway and Norton at boundary and field.  With Crim, Gordon, Winston and Madison fighting it out for the nickel and dime spots.

All my buddies on the team have been telling me that Madison has had an outstanding offseason and that David Gordon is a freak.  As much as i dread it, I see Madison as more than just a nickel or dime package corner with the progress he has made this offseason. 

There is definetly going to be some good competition in the cornerback groups this summer and fall!
Woo Pig
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

The real Hogules

I've heard that Mr. Gordon will be getting a look at WR first before he ever is looked at on the defensive side of the football.
Darius Winston will be starting at CB at some point during the season and may open the season if others don't step up their game BIG TIME!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

athunt

kobe24, Has DW been studying the schemes and sets that Robinson likes to run? I dont know if that is an NCAA violation or not to give a playbook to a recruit or someone who isnt cleared yet.
-Reggie Johnson

Zen_Hog

Quote from: athunt on July 06, 2009, 10:11:09 pm
kobe24, Has DW been studying the schemes and sets that Robinson likes to run? I dont know if that is an NCAA violation or not to give a playbook to a recruit or someone who isnt cleared yet.

I think all the new recruits got a playbook the week they signed the LOI.

Country Stylz

Week 3 - DW vs AJ Green.  Week 4 DW vs Julio Jones. Hope he comes in and locks it down like Prime Time!

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: kobe24 on July 06, 2009, 05:22:12 pm

Madison will not give his position up that easy and he will be much better this year.  Issac Madison is better than he is getting credit for. 

SeeingRed13

If you go back and watch some of the highlights from last season, Ramon Broadway really stands out in run support & progressed in his coverage ability (though all corners will go through their ups and downs). I expect for him to have a solid season in what could be a young but talented rotation of DBs.

1longshot

i think that what we will see this year is the evidence of developing depth where in we will see the starters rotated to allow a more aggressive style of play

sivad53

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on July 07, 2009, 01:15:10 am
Madison will not give his position up that easy and he will be much better this year.  Issac Madison is better than he is getting credit for. 
Im sorry but you get credit for what you do on the field and he got burnt big game in game out last year.  Im not saying I hope hes not better, its just hard to believe your argument from what I witnessed out of Madison last year.

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: sivad53 on July 07, 2009, 08:47:58 am
Im sorry but you get credit for what you do on the field and he got burnt big game in game out last year.  Im not saying I hope hes not better, its just hard to believe your argument from what I witnessed out of Madison last year.

QFT

pedrothelion

He started the season rough, but he actually played much better as the year went on.  BP seemed to be encouraged later in year with his play. Also, some of those times he was burned were not totally on him.  There were several times when the safeties were supposed to be helping deep and totally blew their coverage. 

Hogbody

Better safety play will help our corners

gohogsgo006

This.

It was clockwork last year.

WR running down the field w/ ball in his hand = Madison getting burnt

Broadway, OTOH, was exceptional for most the year
Hogville- Where realism somehow equals pessimism

Carl Lazlo

I just think a healthy Norton will compliment Broadway very well.   At only 182 I think Winston is slightly under weight.  He'll get damaged at LOS by Julio Jones and he'll be outmatched by sec running backs.  Around 195 before we put him on the field. 

kobe24

Maniac iam glad your not da coach they want him to play at 190 his whole career so back up dat he ain't a safety how many corner you no are 6'0 195 in the league or college

TechHog

Kobe,  like so many on here, maniac doesn't know much about football....  Corners are mostly cover guys.  NOT run stoppers.   BTW-    We're very excited about having Winston playing for the Razorback!

smun83

I think norton is about 6'0 190.  Tremain Thomas is 6'0 180.  They are in the same range as Darius so I don't see the weight really being a problem.

wholehog92

WR plays more zone coverage than man to man.  Weight on a corner is not a big asset in our scheme.  Speed, quickness, backpedal, hips, eyes, and instincts are all more important than weight in our scheme.  DW has those tools in spades.  He's not really a wallflower in the physicality dept at a projected 190 either.  I agree with Madison needing to improve on the field to maintain playing time.  I also agree that safety play will have to improve to help whoever is at corner.  DW has the tools to start, when that happens will be determined by how fast he picks up the schemes and his work eithic when he thinks no one is watching.  I don't know him other than watching videos, and have no way of knowing how he behaves when no one is watching.  He appears to be well coached and technically excellent in his position for a high schooler.  That indicates high motivation for someone of his talent.  Usually a talented kid will rely on his talent and the techniques are not there.  Not the case with DW.  That's as good an indicator as you can get.  Sometimes, late in a game he will come out of his backpedal sooner than you would like in a college player.  It's like he gets comfortable with what a given reciever is capable of and will come out of the backpedal early.  I hope that tendency goes away in college, but most college dbacks are just as likely to do that.  There are very few QBs and recievers on a college level that can adjust and take advantage of that tendency.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

killamon

Quote from: footballmaniac on July 07, 2009, 10:57:00 am
I just think a healthy Norton will compliment Broadway very well.   At only 182 I think Winston is slightly under weight.  He'll get damaged at LOS by Julio Jones and he'll be outmatched by sec running backs.  Around 195 before we put him on the field. 

lmao!!!