Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tim Brando comparing Houston Nutt to Nick Saban

Started by Iwastherein1969, July 03, 2009, 09:29:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

kingofdequeen

When I think of SEC head football coaches and consider what most of us believe a HC should stand for, I must put Nutt 12th in the conference.  There are two proven execellent coaches, Saban and Meyer, three that have had great success, Petrino, Richt, and Spurrier, and one who nearly everyone believes is a great coach, Johnson.  Three are new to the SEC as HC and we cannot be sure what will happen there.  Still i would take my chances with an unknown than hire an arrogrant idiot who I do know.  Nutt cannot carry Saban's waterbottle.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: 12247 on July 05, 2009, 01:15:36 pm
When I think of SEC head football coaches and consider what most of us believe a HC should stand for, I must put Nutt 12th in the conference.  There are two proven execellent coaches, Saban and Meyer, three that have had great success, Petrino, Richt, and Spurrier, and one who nearly everyone believes is a great coach, Johnson.  Three are new to the SEC as HC and we cannot be sure what will happen there.  Still i would take my chances with an unknown than hire an arrogrant idiot who I do know.  Nutt cannot carry Saban's waterbottle.

sorry, but nutt > kiffykins, miss st's new sacrificial lamb, and chizik.

Root66

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 05, 2009, 02:03:31 pm
sorry, but nutt > kiffykins, miss st's new sacrificial lamb, and chizik.

nutt may be > than kiffykins, miss st's new sacrificial lamb, and chizik but he still can't carry Saban's water bottle or hang onto Saban's headphone wiring.

hawgfandude

Brando is a fool and a tool.   I just rejoice everyday knowing that nuttless is no longer here and that we have Bobby.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Root66 on July 05, 2009, 03:58:56 pm
nutt may be > than kiffykins, miss st's new sacrificial lamb, and chizik but he still can't carry Saban's water bottle or hang onto Saban's headphone wiring.

no debate on either point.  nutt couldn't unclog Satan's toilet.

Jborohog09

Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 05, 2009, 07:12:22 pm
no debate on either point.  nutt couldn't unclog Satan's toilet.

he couldn't unclog anyone's toliet.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

Brando has been one of, if not the biggest, supporter of HDN and the whole Arkansas fiasco... to bad he has ZERO facts of what actually went down and refuses to listen to the real truth.  He has defended HDN on several occasions on national TV.

psychopig

I used to like Brando but he has proven to be such an ignorant, vindictive tool in his mancrush on Nutt

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Jborohog09 on July 05, 2009, 08:06:02 pm
he couldn't unclog anyone's toliet.

May be why one of the first things Petrino did was have Nutt's old toilet ripped out.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 05, 2009, 09:32:14 pm
May be why one of the first things Petrino did was have Nutt's old toilet ripped out.

haha, maybe so.

Teebow62

Yeah, Saban hasn't and probably won't ever lose to Vandy and Kentucky... AT HOME... with talent to boot.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: Teebow62 on July 06, 2009, 04:26:36 pm
Yeah, Saban hasn't and probably won't ever lose to Vandy and Kentucky... AT HOME... with talent to boot.

Yep, Saban just loses to UAB (while at LSU) and Louisiana-Monroe (while at Alabama), both at home.

I'm not going to back Brando's claim, but Saban has had some WTH type losses despite having the team with significantly more talent.

Good coaches lose games to teams with lesser talent on occasion.  It happens to every coach.  No coach is immune to getting upset.

The one thing I do agree with Brando on is that you can't compare coaches based on accomplishments alone.  Circumstances dictate a lot of things.  It's not fair to compare Bobby Johnson and Urban Meyer on wins alone.  They coach in entirely different circumstances.  If you flipped jobs, Johnson would win more games than Meyer.  I definitely think Saban and Meyer are 1 and 2 in the SEC in no particular order, in terms of being the best coaches in the league regardless of circumstances.  That said, I think you do have to take into account how difficult the job is for a coach when making those comparisons.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 05, 2009, 09:32:14 pm

It was probably a health issue, with both well known alley cats Houston Dale and Danny Nutt having been using that thing.

Iwastherein1969

July 07, 2009, 04:55:15 am #64 Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 04:57:27 am by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: rebelbruiser on July 06, 2009, 10:59:12 pm
Yep, Saban just loses to UAB (while at LSU) and Louisiana-Monroe (while at Alabama), both at home.

I'm not going to back Brando's claim, but Saban has had some WTH type losses despite having the team with significantly more talent.

Good coaches lose games to teams with lesser talent on occasion.  It happens to every coach.  No coach is immune to getting upset.

The one thing I do agree with Brando on is that you can't compare coaches based on accomplishments alone.  Circumstances dictate a lot of things.  It's not fair to compare Bobby Johnson and Urban Meyer on wins alone.  They coach in entirely different circumstances.  If you flipped jobs, Johnson would win more games than Meyer.  I definitely think Saban and Meyer are 1 and 2 in the SEC in no particular order, in terms of being the best coaches in the league regardless of circumstances.  That said, I think you do have to take into account how difficult the job is for a coach when making those comparisons.
its obvious that your whole "belief system" in Hootie is based on one concept, that being that Ole Miss, moreso than Arkansas, can provide HDN with a better opportunity to succeed in the SEC in the long run...as none of us know the future to a certainty, I can only use past performances of Hootie as an indicator of future results, and let me say the following with a substantial amount of confidence, Ole Miss will see Cinderella's carriage turn into the pumpkin it truly is, but this time the Rebs won't have to wait until midnight, the transformation is coming much sooner, as in when Jevan Snead leaves for the NFL
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

rebelbruiser

July 07, 2009, 07:43:18 am #65 Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 07:45:56 am by rebelbruiser
Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on July 07, 2009, 04:55:15 am
its obvious that your whole "belief system" in Hootie is based on one concept, that being that Ole Miss, moreso than Arkansas, can provide HDN with a better opportunity to succeed in the SEC in the long run...as none of us know the future to a certainty, I can only use past performances of Hootie as an indicator of future results, and let me say the following with a substantial amount of confidence, Ole Miss will see Cinderella's carriage turn into the pumpkin it truly is, but this time the Rebs won't have to wait until midnight, the transformation is coming much sooner, as in when Jevan Snead leaves for the NFL

Actually, that's not the case.  I think Arkansas may be a slightly easier job to win at, but not by a whole lot.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both jobs.  I think Arkansas's advantages slightly outweigh ours, but I think overall in the SEC, we rank just behind you in terms of easiest job rankings.

I'm not expecting a bunch of SEC titles.  All I'm expecting is for us to be competitive every year.  That's all I ask.

That said, I don't think you can say we hired the same Houston Nutt that you hired 10 years ago.  People change over time and they learn from their mistakes.  Sometimes they get better, and sometimes they regress with age.  Bobby Bowden, for example, isn't the same Bobby Bowden he was 10 years ago.  He's worse.  On the flip side, I'd say that Mack Brown is a better coach than he was 10 years ago.

For another thing, I know we have an almost entirely different staff than the one that worked with Nutt in 1998.  The variables are not the same for us, not the least of which being that Ole  Miss and Arkansas are two different jobs with different challenges, so I don't see the argument that history will repeat itself.  Things may go better for him at Ole Miss.  They may go worse, but I'm willing to bet it'll be different.

Bottom line, I expect Nutt to give us as much as we are accustomed to and possibly a bit more.  As a program over the last 25 years or so, we've gone to bowl games on average about every other year.  We've been above .500 overall, and we average being just under .500 in league play.  Assuming he stayed 6-8 years, I'd expect him to equal or exceed that, and I think he's capable of that.

RedSatinHog

None of it surprises me at all.  TB has been referring to Nutt as his "Favorite Coach in America" for a rather long time now on his radio program.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

dhornjr1

Quote from: gguillo on July 05, 2009, 08:13:51 pm
Brando has been one of, if not the biggest, supporter of HDN and the whole Arkansas fiasco... to bad he has ZERO facts of what actually went down and refuses to listen to the real truth.  He has defended HDN on several occasions on national TV.

And at every opportunity he gets, he bashes the Mustain, Williams, and Cleveland families for daring to go to Frank Broyles with their concerns about what was going on within the program which their sons had committed their athletic and academic futures.

Brando is a classless, boot licking sh*theel.

Root66

Quote from: rebelbruiser on July 07, 2009, 07:43:18 am

I'm not expecting a bunch of SEC titles.  All I'm expecting is for us to be competitive every year.  That's all I ask.

If that's what you expect, then you hired the wrong coach. 

Sivad

I'm not expecting a bunch of SEC titles. 

Obviously not since you hired the just fired Nutt.

Agent S

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hawgon

Don't forget Brando is a hopeless drunk.  Nutt looks like a lot better coach after a 5th of Jim Beam.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Hawgon on July 07, 2009, 04:34:13 pm

Nutt looks like a lot better coach after a 5th of Jim Beam.

Even then, he still sucks.

cbjagman

The ONLY way that the Hooter and Saban can be compared is that they both coach in the SEC West. Other than that Dale isn't worthy of wiping Nick's rear end.

Hog-O-Licious

July 10, 2009, 01:36:21 am #75 Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:42:31 am by Hog-O-Licious
Actually, that's not the case.  I think Arkansas may be a slightly easier job to win at, but not by a whole lot.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both jobs.  I think Arkansas's advantages slightly outweigh ours, but I think overall in the SEC, we rank just behind you in terms of easiest job rankings.

That said, I don't think you can say we hired the same Houston Nutt that you hired 10 years ago.  People change over time and they learn from their mistakes.  Sometimes they get better, and sometimes they regress with age.  Bobby Bowden, for example, isn't the same Bobby Bowden he was 10 years ago.  He's worse.  On the flip side, I'd say that Mack Brown is a better coach than he was 10 years ago.

For another thing, I know we have an almost entirely different staff than the one that worked with Nutt in 1998.  The variables are not the same for us, not the least of which being that Ole  Miss and Arkansas are two different jobs with different challenges, so I don't see the argument that history will repeat itself.  Things may go better for him at Ole Miss.  They may go worse, but I'm willing to bet it'll be different.

Bottom line, I expect Nutt to give us as much as we are accustomed to and possibly a bit more.  As a program over the last 25 years or so, we've gone to bowl games on average about every other year.  We've been above .500 overall, and we average being just under .500 in league play.  Assuming he stayed 6-8 years, I'd expect him to equal or exceed that, and I think he's capable of that.

ok. i admit it.

that is the most intelligent and least nutt-huggin comment i have ever read from you.  if that's what you are after, you may just get it.  and circumstances are different and he IS one of the luckiest coaches I have ever seen. 

based on our lack of success immediately proceeding his tenure here, you will probably enjoy a similar outcome, just as we did.  years from now you will realize his limitations and wish to move on, hopefully with less colorful fireworks, all though we all like nice explosions.

so good luck.  i would like to be annoyed at your general homerism and love of all things nutty, but you have given a well thought out and concise statement that just may prove to be true.  after ten years of the same ol' stuff though, you will be ready to move on to a higher level.

and i still can't stand the nutter and believe we may just hoist a beer together later with the same opinion of him.
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein." --Joe Theismann

Ugly Uncle

Things I also compare:

1.  My last fart to Old Faithful
2.  My hemoroids to a brick of gold.
3.  George Bush to Winston Churchill.
4.  rotten eggs to my mom's apple pie.
5.  Macy Grey to Beonsay
6.  Derrick Hood to Michael Jordan
7.  Quick sand to a beautiful sunset.

I can make really stupid comparisons all day...and most people with any common sense knows they are stupid.

Feel free to add your own.
Retired Radio Host

Big Papa Satan

July 10, 2009, 02:57:20 am #77 Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 02:59:36 am by Uncle Ivan
8. A runny bowel movement to a steak from Doe's
9. Barack Hussein Obama to Thomas Jefferson
10. Michael Jackson to the Pope
11. Teresa Prewitt to Adriana Lima

Ugly Uncle

Retired Radio Host

Big Papa Satan

cbjagman

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on July 05, 2009, 09:31:16 am
Brando is comparing Houston Nutt to Nick Saban?  That's like comparing Beattle Bailey to Napolean Bonaparte.
Or Gomer Pyle to George Patton...........

Sivad

14. [Nutt] using poison ivy vs. [Saban] using Charmin toilet paper.

kingofdequeen

15. drinking bongwater vs. drinking Louis Tre'

cbjagman

Two things that you fail to realize: First, according to your own Hooter Dale Nutt, OM has greater football tradition and easier to recruit due to its location and the number of high shool (not to mention all the "farm club" jucos in the state). Secondly, NuttBag is too damn dumb and stubborn to learn from his past mistakes.

Sivad

16. [Nutt] the doctor informing you of your fatal disease
                            vs.
     [Saban] you nailing the doctor's nurse.

kingofdequeen

17. [Nutt] Catcher
          vs.
     [Saban] Pitcher

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

kingofdequeen

July 10, 2009, 03:12:05 pm #87 Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 03:15:17 pm by kingofdequeen

vs.

btw...the second girl was involved with this guy:

Big Papa Satan

In Houston Nutt's past, he has shown traits that are very difficult to change.  He has a huge ego.  He cannot accept any failure that he may make or cause to be made and will go to any level to place blame on others.  He disapproves of anyone associated with him to receive honors unles he can be shown as the reason they received those honors.  Example:  I called that play, Brutha.  Yes my players scored the TD but I set them up for success with my play.  Turn it around.  He calls a play everyone on the field knows where it is going.  It fails  and he blames the blocking, running, QB handoff, poor pass blocking but never himself.  He doesn't like assistants to get credit, I mean real credit, for success.   Its OK if he gets credit for setting them up for the success and eventual credit, but no way if they just go out and gain the credit and he is left out.  Its all about Houston.  He lives for the credit.  Having his name mentioned as a possibility for the Auburn job last year was the kind of credit he loves.  Before that it was LSU and Nebraska.  Never mind that Neb had an absolute idiot for an AD and that the LSU thing was just a lighted match that never lit up anything.  Rumors are that Auburn was never at all interested in him but it will go down in History in Nutt's mind that he could have gone had OM not showed its love through money to him.  Houston will fail at OM because he has no choice, his ego will do him in.  Good assistants will leave him if they wish to move up the ladder.  Austin at OM will either replace Nutt or move on if it is obvious he has talent.  Nutt will either encourage him to leave or make it so bad he will leave on his own.  Houston is like a spoiled child.  If his team is successful and he believes anyone is getting to much credit over him, he will blow it all up rather than shut up, thank the help and players and enjoy the ride. 

dhornjr1

Having a bowel movement vs. being on the receiving end of a bowel movement.

Iwastherein1969

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM2x7A8y6yA&feature=related    check out HOOTIE at 3:45 when he told Marcus Harrison, not once but twice.." I called that time out, I called that time out"   typical Hootie
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Road Hog

July 15, 2009, 07:14:46 am #92 Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 02:12:12 pm by Road Hog
I don't know a lot about Saban but I know this: He pulled LSU from the grave to win a National Championship and he left the program strong enough for Les Miles to continue that success. He stunk with the Dolphins but let's look at Spurrier and the Redskins and Petrino with the Falcons. The NFL is a different sport. Now Saban is waking up a sleeping giant and the whole SEC should be concerned about that.
I know a little more about Nutt. Boise St. went from a loser to a mid-major power the year after Nutt left. At Arkansas he took Danny Ford's players to a 9-3 season in '98. (At which time Jackie Sherrill said that he better change it up or the rest of the league would figure him out. They did.) He followed with a respectable 8-4 season in '99, again with Ford's players. 2000 was a 6-6 bust that ended with a 31-14 blowout from UNLV. (That was a long drive home for this Road Hog.) 2001 started off with a slow 1-3 start which turned around when that freak named Matt Jones started playing and he pulled out a 7-5 season for the Hogs. In 2002 and 2003 the Hogs had back to back 9 win seasons but their best plays were broken plays with the freak wearing #9 doing it all on his own. The league learned that if you stop #9, you stop Arkansas. Hence, 5-6 in 2004. 2005 was 4-7 because the head coach didn't know what he had in #5 and #25 until the season was already a bust. 2006 a real offensive mind called the plays and the Hogs reeled off 10 in a row and were sniffing a National Championship. But a let's not play until the game's decided loss to LSU and a Fished up play in the SEC Championship fizzled out a pretty good 10-4 season. For the 2007 season the head coach decided to reward the brilliant offensive play caller by recycling an old coach as co-coordinator and a to be determined on play calling duties. The brilliant offensive mind left. Two extremely talented backs carried the Hogs to an 8-5 season.
Houston knew the cupboards were bare for 2008. The administration knew that he wasn't capable of filling them so, to the delight of Hogville, they parted ways.
Nutt won last season with Coach O's players and he'll probably do well this year. But after that, if the Rebs don't find a freak...

cosmodrum

Quote from: Road Hog on July 15, 2009, 07:14:46 am
I don't know a lot about Saban but I know this: He pulled LSU from the grave to win a National Championship and he left the program strong enough for Les Miles to continue that success. He stunk with the Dolphins but let's look at Spurrier and the Redskins and Petrino with the Falcons. The NFL is a different sport. Now Saban is waking up a sleeping giant and the whole SEC should be concerned about that.
I know a little more about Nutt. Boise St. went from a looser to a mid-major power the year after Nutt left. At Arkansas he took Danny Ford's players to a 9-3 season in '98. (At which time Jackie Sherrill said that he better change it up or the rest of the league would figure him out. They did.) He followed with a respectable 8-4 season in '99, again with Ford's players. 2000 was a 6-6 bust that ended with a 31-14 blow out from UNLV. (That was a long drive home for this Road Hog.) 2001 started off with a slow 1-3 start which turned around when that freak named Matt Jones started playing and he pulled out a 7-5 season for the Hogs. In 2002 and 2003 the Hogs had back to back 9 win seasons but their best plays were broken plays with the freak wearing #9 doing it all on his own. The league learned that if you stop #9, you stop Arkansas. Hence, 5-6 in 2004. 2005 was 4-7 because the head coach didn't know what he had in #5 and #25 until the season was already a bust. 2006 a real offensive mind called the plays and the Hogs reeled off 10 in a row and were sniffing a National Championship. But a let's not play until the game's decided loss to LSU and a Fished up play in the SEC Championship fizzled out a pretty good 10-4 season. For the 2007 season the head coach decided to reward the brilliant offensive play caller by recycling an old coach as co-coordinator and a to be determined on play calling duties. The brilliant offensive mind left. Two extremely talented backs carried the Hogs to an 8-5 season.
Houston knew the cupboards were bare for 2008. The administration knew that he wasn't capable of filling them so, to the delight of Hogville, they parted ways.
Nutt won last season with Coach O's players and he'll probably do well this year. But after that, if the Rebs don't find a freak...

Good post, but I'm not so sure Saban was a bust with the Dolphins. He took a bad Dolphins team and made them a respectable 9-7 team. Of course, they went back to being terrible after he left.
Go away, batin'

Road Hog

Good post, but I'm not so sure Saban was a bust with the Dolphins. He took a bad Dolphins team and made them a respectable 9-7 team. Of course, they went back to being terrible after he left.

Touche