Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intel Report on ESPN.com

Started by Mark_Freeman, July 01, 2009, 12:40:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke Duke

I don't undertand why he has to be great or awful.  The man was a .500 coach.  10 years was plenty long to see, the number show exactly what he was.  He could've done better, he could've done worse.

OM isn't going to be in the cellar.  They're not going to be at the top.  They're going to be around 4th in the West most years.  He'll overacheive when nothing is expected, under acheive when it is.

.500 coach.
I remember I caught tons of hell on this board for saying Peterson was faster than McFadden.  That's one reason I was looking forward to the combine.  If McFadden ran a legit 4.28, you bet he'd be there.

-NWASooner

rebelbruiser

July 02, 2009, 11:31:23 am #51 Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:36:19 am by rebelbruiser
Here is my question.  I keep seeing that Orgeron's recruiting is the only reason we're any good right now, and therefore when those guys are gone, we'll suck.  However, at this point, Nutt's first two recruiting classes, on paper, look better than Orgeron's first two.  When you look back at attrition and qualifiers, Orgeron had one very good class (2006), and two awful classes (2005 and 2007).

Orgeron's first two classes had a grand total of 11 blue chip recruits signed (counting Jerrell Powe only once), combined.  One of those 11 didn't make it to campus.  Another (Powe) didn't make it until the 2008 season after Orgeron was gone, so only 9 were on campus to start Orgeron's 2nd season as head coach.

Compare that with Nutt's first two classes.  He's signed 12 blue chip recruits in his first two signing classes with us combined.  Of those 12, 9 either enrolled last year or have already enrolled for this year, and the other 3 are all looking good academically.  I would expect that of those 12, based on the status of the 3 that are in limbo, that at least 11 will be on the team to start Nutt's 2nd season as head coach, which is 2 more blue chippers than Orgeron brought in during his first two seasons.  Even if all 3 fail to make it, Nutt has already equaled Orgeron in the number of blue chippers enrolled before his second season.

On top of that, Orgeron's third class was a disaster.  He signed 22 total players with 25 scholarships available.  3 of those 22 didn't make it to campus, and another 7 of them either quit, flunked out, or got kicked off before ever suiting up for a 2nd season with the team.  2 of those signees were Juco signees that finished up their eligibility last season.  So, as of the start of our 2009 season, we will have a grand total of 10 players left from Orgeron's 2007 signing class, only 2 of which were blue chippers.  The one saving grace for that class, that didn't really count as part of the signing class, was the fact that Jevan Snead was brought in that off-season.

On another note, our 2008 roster had 12 Orgeron recruited blue chip players on it (counting Snead).  Our 2009 roster will have 10 Orgeron recruited blue chip players on it, and it will have either 11 or 12 Nutt recruited blue chip players on it.

So, based on all of those numbers, I expect us to go through a rebuilding year in 2010 with 6 or 7 wins being a pretty good campaign (assuming Snead leaves for the NFL after this year).  The rebuilding year will be due to the fact that our rising senior class will be made up largely of that nightmare 2007 class, and it will be due also in part to the fact that the majority of Orgeron's one good class (2006) will be gone after this season.  Add to that that we'll probably be breaking in a new QB with some minor growing pains.  However, if Nutt lands another solid recruiting class this year, we should be in for another very good season in 2011.  Maybe not Top 10 or anything, but by 2011 we should be in position to win 8 or 9 games.

donewithdale

Quote from: rebelbruiser on July 02, 2009, 11:31:23 am
Here is my question.  I keep seeing that Orgeron's recruiting is the only reason we're any good right now, and therefore when those guys are gone, we'll suck.  However, at this point, Nutt's first two recruiting classes, on paper, look better than Orgeron's first two.  When you look back at attrition and qualifiers, Orgeron had one very good class (2006), and two awful classes (2005 and 2007).

Orgeron's first two classes had a grand total of 11 blue chip recruits signed (counting Jerrell Powe only once), combined.  One of those 11 didn't make it to campus.  Another (Powe) didn't make it until the 2008 season after Orgeron was gone, so only 9 were on campus to start Orgeron's 2nd season as head coach.

Compare that with Nutt's first two classes.  He's signed 12 blue chip recruits in his first two signing classes with us combined.  Of those 12, 9 either enrolled last year or have already enrolled for this year, and the other 3 are all looking good academically.  I would expect that of those 12, based on the status of the 3 that are in limbo, that at least 11 will be on the team to start Nutt's 2nd season as head coach, which is 2 more blue chippers than Orgeron brought in during his first two seasons.  Even if all 3 fail to make it, Nutt has already equaled Orgeron in the number of blue chippers enrolled before his second season.

On top of that, Orgeron's third class was a disaster.  He signed 22 total players with 25 scholarships available.  3 of those 22 didn't make it to campus, and another 7 of them either quit, flunked out, or got kicked off before ever suiting up for a 2nd season with the team.  2 of those signees were Juco signees that finished up their eligibility last season.  So, as of the start of our 2009 season, we will have a grand total of 10 players left from Orgeron's 2007 signing class, only 2 of which were blue chippers.  The one saving grace for that class, that didn't really count as part of the signing class, was the fact that Jevan Snead was brought in that off-season.

On another note, our 2008 roster had 12 Orgeron recruited blue chip players on it (counting Snead).  Our 2009 roster will have 10 Orgeron recruited blue chip players on it, and it will have either 11 or 12 Nutt recruited blue chip players on it.

So, based on all of those numbers, I expect us to go through a rebuilding year in 2010 with 6 or 7 wins being a pretty good campaign (assuming Snead leaves for the NFL after this year).  The rebuilding year will be due to the fact that our rising senior class will be made up largely of that nightmare 2007 class, and it will be due also in part to the fact that the majority of Orgeron's one good class (2006) will be gone after this season.  Add to that that we'll probably be breaking in a new QB with some minor growing pains.  However, if Nutt lands another solid recruiting class this year, we should be in for another very good season in 2011.  Maybe not Top 10 or anything, but by 2011 we should be in position to win 8 or 9 games.

Your team last season and this season will start almost exclusively Orgeron recruits with the exception of Snead.  Your best players last season and this season will be Orgeron recruits.  That is especially true in your team's strength which is 1. DL and 2. OL.  Nice waste of time with your spin.

Mark_Freeman - Here is your answer to how the media will treat Nutt once Ole Miss declines.  It will be Orgeron's fault for leaving no depth in the upperclassmen.  Then if Nutt stays long enough, it will revert to Ole Miss just can't compete consistently in the SEC.

zark

Nutt is a good short-term coach.  His major downfall is player development.  The blue-chip skill players he recruits regress rapidly after their sophomore year (Nutt coddles).  He has the occasional tweener recruit who takes it upon himself to become a better player.  These recruits are rare due to the type of recruit Nutt attracts.  If you're looking for a playa's coach who likes to ball, rap, grab his nutts and be your buddy, you sign with Nutt, cause after all, it's "Nuttin But Fun".  Players who have the mental aptitude and fortitude to become better usually don't sign with Nutt.  Therefore, after his initial good season, he has a "shocker" when the few players who did what it took to become better (usually lineman) blend with the new skill player blue chippers (usually rb's).  It's a 3 to 4 year cycle.  The Nutt Cycle with the Nutt Blend.

The Hogfather

July 02, 2009, 12:14:58 pm #54 Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 12:17:28 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: donewithdale on July 02, 2009, 11:44:19 am
Your team last season and this season will start almost exclusively Orgeron recruits with the exception of Snead.  Your best players last season and this season will be Orgeron recruits.  That is especially true in your team's strength which is 1. DL and 2. OL.  Nice waste of time with your spin.

Mark_Freeman - Here is your answer to how the media will treat Nutt once Ole Miss declines.  It will be Orgeron's fault for leaving no depth in the upperclassmen.  Then if Nutt stays long enough, it will revert to Ole Miss just can't compete consistently in the SEC.

I believe Snead signed on at Ole Miss while Orgeron was still there, wasn't he?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I would consider him a Orgeron recruit.

Nevermind, found an article to support what I thought:

http://www.olemisssports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2600&ATCLID=730015

The Hogfather

Quote from: Luke Duke on July 02, 2009, 11:06:29 am
I don't undertand why he has to be great or awful.  The man was a .500 coach.  10 years was plenty long to see, the number show exactly what he was.  He could've done better, he could've done worse.

OM isn't going to be in the cellar.  They're not going to be at the top.  They're going to be around 4th in the West most years.  He'll overacheive when nothing is expected, under acheive when it is.

.500 coach.

Precisely.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: donewithdale on July 02, 2009, 11:44:19 am

No kidding.  I had no clue that the upper classmen, and therefore the likely starters for a team, come from previous classes.  Last year we started only a handful of Nutt recruits because THEY WERE ALL 1st YEAR PLAYERS.

My point in all of that was to say that Nutt's recruiting has been as good or better than Orgeron's, which is why I think by 2011, we should be in good shape to compete at a high level in the SEC again.  The argument is that we will fall off the map when Orgeron's players are gone.  Obviously we're pretty good with his players.  My point is that it's lookinig like Nutt's players will be pretty comparable to what he was left.

We will have a rebuilding year in 2010.  That's just the way the numbers are going to work out most likely, because we'll be a young team.  By 2011, we should have a pretty veteran team again, and it's looking like they'll be pretty talented.

As a side note, 23 of the 47 points scored in the Cotton Bowl last year were Houston Nutt signees, despite the fact that our upper classes were all Orgeron recruits, so it's not like the players he's brought in didn't contribute last year.

Out of Nutt's first two classes on the 2009 team, 40 will be true freshman or redshirt freshman, 4 will be sophomores, 2 will be juniors, and 4 will be seniors.  Of course that's not going to be the bulk of our contributors for the 2009 season.  My point is that based on the recruiting classes he's signed, that group of players doesn't look like it'll be much of a drop off from Orgeron's players when they spend a few years in the system.

As a side note, I'll take Nutt's player development over Orgeron's player development every day and twice on Sundays.

zark

QuoteWe will have a rebuilding year in 2010.
These will be frequent.
QuoteBy 2011, we should have a pretty veteran team again
Nutt Cycle.
QuoteAs a side note, 23 of the 47 points scored in the Cotton Bowl last year were Houston Nutt signees,
Nutt Blend.
QuoteAs a side note, I'll take Nutt's player development over Orgeron's player development every day and twice on Sundays.
I'd take a S-10 pickup over a Ford Ranger too. 

Jborohog09

Quote from: zark on July 02, 2009, 12:42:40 pm
These will be frequent.  Nutt Cycle. Nutt Blend.  I'd take a S-10 pickup over a Ford Ranger too. 

I'd go with the Ranger.  :)

FATBACKHAWG

Quote from: ncnd on July 01, 2009, 06:57:10 pm
He had you suckling from his titty for 10 years and that left town with $3.5 million dollars of your money.]

And what a pair of big titties they were!!

rebelbruiser

July 02, 2009, 01:54:34 pm #60 Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:56:55 pm by rebelbruiser
If and when we have a rebuilding year in 2010, that falls squarely on the shoulders of Orgeron, and here is why.

In 2010, our seniors will be the remaining redshirts from the 2006 class (8 players), and the non-redshirts from the 2007 class (6 players).

Our juniors will be the redshirts from 2007 (4 players), and the non-redshirts from the 2008 class (6 players).

So, for 2010, not including any junior college additions, we will have a grand total of 14 scholarship seniors and 10 scholarship juniors.  That's what I'm talking about when I say that there were holes in Orgeron's recruiting.  By not redshirting players often enough and by having classes like the 2007 class, he's leaving us with a really big gap.  We'll be a freshman and sophomore dominated team in 2010.  You don't win a whole lot in the SEC when you are relying on freshmen and sophomores no matter how talented they are.  See our 2006 and 2007 teams.  We had a very talented freshman class in 2006 that became sophomores in 2007.  They went 2-14 in SEC play in their first two years partially because our coaching sucked, but also in large part because they were too young to shoulder the load for an SEC team.

That's also why I say I think we'll be pretty good in 2011 and 2012.  We'll be young in 2010, but we won't lose much before 2011 and 2012.  Plus, as I went over before, Nutt's recruiting so far at Ole Miss, on paper, has been as good or better than Orgeron's.

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginClinton on July 02, 2009, 02:02:23 pm
This is funny.

That is what I thought, too.  Like I've told rebelbruiser before, he is like us after the 1998 season.  Then, reality hit, and somehow Nutt lasted a total of 10 years here.  How he did that, I'll never know....

rebelbruiser

Quote from: HoginClinton on July 02, 2009, 02:02:23 pm
This is funny.

You're right.  We should be demanding 10 wins when we have fewer than 25 juniors and seniors combined in 2010, what am I thinking?

As I said, 6 or 7 wins in 2010 would be a fine season.  I expect us to be pretty good this year, rebuild with a very young team in 2010, and in 2011 and 2012, our young team won't be young anymore.

Also, could you explain which part in particular was so funny?  I'd love to argue with you if you want to bring something to discuss.

cbjagman

Quote from: rebelbruiser on July 02, 2009, 12:18:36 pm
No kidding.  I had no clue that the upper classmen, and therefore the likely starters for a team, come from previous classes.  Last year we started only a handful of Nutt recruits because THEY WERE ALL 1st YEAR PLAYERS.

My point in all of that was to say that Nutt's recruiting has been as good or better than Orgeron's, which is why I think by 2011, we should be in good shape to compete at a high level in the SEC again.  The argument is that we will fall off the map when Orgeron's players are gone.  Obviously we're pretty good with his players.  My point is that it's lookinig like Nutt's players will be pretty comparable to what he was left.

We will have a rebuilding year in 2010.  That's just the way the numbers are going to work out most likely, because we'll be a young team.  By 2011, we should have a pretty veteran team again, and it's looking like they'll be pretty talented.

As a side note, 23 of the 47 points scored in the Cotton Bowl last year were Houston Nutt signees, despite the fact that our upper classes were all Orgeron recruits, so it's not like the players he's brought in didn't contribute last year.

Out of Nutt's first two classes on the 2009 team, 40 will be true freshman or redshirt freshman, 4 will be sophomores, 2 will be juniors, and 4 will be seniors.  Of course that's not going to be the bulk of our contributors for the 2009 season.  My point is that based on the recruiting classes he's signed, that group of players doesn't look like it'll be much of a drop off from Orgeron's players when they spend a few years in the system.

As a side note, I'll take Nutt's player development over Orgeron's player development every day and twice on Sundays.
Well the one thing you mentioned is that we used somewhere around 18 first year/redshirt last season. Several of the reasons: first, we had no QUALITY depth due to the typical nearsighted approach that the Hooter usuallly takes. Secondly, much of the talent we did have the previous year (which we still couldn't "close the deal" for a SEC championship in '06) including three rbs drafted into the NFL were gone and except for Michael Smith, who got worn down as the year went on, we had very little offensive firepower. Let's not even go into the fact that we ranked 12th in the league in most defensive categories. All-in-all the proof was in what was left BP and the staff. I realize, however, that you Ole Misery fans currently have stars in your eyes over the Dale gang down in Oxford. After your miserable records over the past few years I must say I understand that ALMOST ANYHING would be an improvement, including the Hooter.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Supermark101 on July 01, 2009, 04:30:35 pm

I couldn't see ND hiring him. Not even Nutt could worm his way into that.

Notre Dame would not touch a reprobate like Nutt with the proverbial ten foot pole.

SpareRib

Quote from: benthere on July 01, 2009, 03:05:54 pm
He didn't say that he didn't want to read it..he said it sounded like a bunch of scorned women which is not too far from the truth.....we feel scorned and there's nothing we can do about it but hate on Nutt. 

Probably ought to use "I" instead of "We."  ;D

I suspect that there are a passle of folks who don't feel scorned.  As for me, I feel nothing but relief.  The only scorn in my neighborhood is what I direct at Nutt.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

rebelbruiser

Quote from: HoginClinton on July 02, 2009, 02:55:13 pm
Okay, whatever. As bad as Orgeron's recruiiting seemed to be, Nutt was able to win 9 games with it. Nutt has won 9 games 5 times in 12 years as a 1-A coach. Twice with other coaches players, 98 and 08. Only 3 times in the remaining 10 years did he reach 9 wins. This would lead me to believe he had less talent in the years he produced fewer wins, which also happens to be the majority of his career.  He cannot have more talent and be better, and other times have less talent and still be better. I would probably say he is even. As bad as he was, things were coming together for Orgeron. The redshirting comment is filled with irony.

That's just the thing.  I'm not arguing that we'll be competing for SEC titles regularly or that we'll be competing for BCS titles, just that we will be competitive, and I don't see why we wouldn't be based on what I've seen on the field and on the recruiting front.

As for your comment about things coming together for Orgeron, that's assuming the players are nothing but emotionless balls of talent, and you assume that the guy that gathers the talent wins.  That's simply not the case.  Inside the program, it was falling apart.  As I've said before, Orgeron was flat out overworking the players, so that by the time games came around, they head dead legs, and by the end of the season, we were so beat up that we often had to move players from position to position just to fill out a starting 22.

Full contact, 65-play scrimmages the night before a game are not the way to get your team to win.  That's not even mentioning the fact that the team itself was fractured and had essentially quit on him.  Quite a few players said they were planning on quitting or transferring until they found out he was fired, and they decided to stick around another year.  Whether Nutt will work out in the long run or not, I don't know, but I do know that Orgeron would've been lucky to win 6 games last year despite some of the talent we had coming back.

ncnd

Quote from: HoginClinton on July 02, 2009, 03:39:46 pm
It seems you are agreeing that Nutt is a better coach but not a better recruiter. I hate to break the news to you, but that is exactly what we are saying.

But Nutt pulled his best recruiting effort last year ZING!!!

(oh well I guess there's an exception to every rule)

donewithdale

Quote from: ncnd on July 02, 2009, 03:47:59 pm
But Nutt pulled his best recruiting effort last year ZING!!!

(oh well I guess there's an exception to every rule)

Orgeron recruited a higher ranked class to Tennessee. 

ncnd

Quote from: donewithdale on July 02, 2009, 03:56:45 pm
Orgeron recruited a higher ranked class to Tennessee. 

If Hootie was at Tenner he would have pulled in a higher ranked recruiting class than Arkansas based alone on the Tenner name and tradition and 2nd all-time in SEC championships.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

ncnd

Quote from: HoginClinton on July 02, 2009, 03:56:29 pm
So did Arkansas ZING!!! (rolls eyes)

We will find it difficult to find our way inside the Top 25 this year. We may fall within the 25-34 range, as we only have 18-20 scholarships to offer. Most teams within the Top 25 with only 18-20 offers are Miami, Florida, USC, and Notre Dame

Sivad

Quote from: ncnd on July 02, 2009, 05:02:31 pm

If Hootie was at Tenner

Tennessee would never hire Houston Dale Nutt.
The fans would burn the stadium to the ground.

ncnd

Quote from: HoginClinton on July 02, 2009, 05:13:26 pm
If a frog had wings
Quote from: Sivad on July 02, 2009, 06:08:54 pm

That's not the point. The point is that anybody can recruit to Tenner. Hell Kiffie pulled in the #1 player in the nation last year (or did you forget that?).

Hogs12

Quote from: ncnd on July 02, 2009, 06:14:46 pm
That's not the point. The point is that anybody can recruit to Tenner. Hell Kiffie pulled in the #1 player in the nation last year (or did you forget that?).
I agree it should be easy to recruit to Knoxville. I don't think Nutt would have recruited well there. He did pull in the #1 player but Kiffin and that staff are much better recruiters than Coach Nutt will ever be. Not too mention Coach Gran is a very good RB coach.

HawgNa280zx

Quote from: SpareRib on July 02, 2009, 03:05:17 pm
Probably ought to use "I" instead of "We."  ;D

I suspect that there are a passle of folks who don't feel scorned.  As for me, I feel nothing but relief.  The only scorn in my neighborhood is what I direct at Nutt.
My thoughts exactly, sir.
Quote from: Sivad on July 02, 2009, 06:08:54 pm
LOL
It amazes me how Hooter can still stir up the shite here. I for one could care less about the ticking time bomb in Ole Piss. I wish Razorback nation could scrape up the last bit of dignity and self-respect off the mat left by Hoot and move on. Its the only way to start the healing process. Concentrate on the PRESENT admin, people. Our future looks bright. Stop dragging me down with this bulls**t.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: rebelbruiser on July 02, 2009, 12:18:36 pm

Well, I for one, appreciate your input here Bruiser!  You sound like most Hog fans in 1999, though.  Maybe the Ole Miss faithful will get it quicker than we did...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rlamb

To ncnd and rey, you little twerp, nutt kissers, its not that the moron outsmarted us, it was White, Frank and Lindsey who betrayed us to the tune of 3.5

rebelbruiser

Quote from: NolanForAD on July 06, 2009, 01:00:33 am
Uh-oh.  I recognize the symptoms.  Hugger logic has already taken root at Ole Miss.   Keep dreaming up excuses and lowering those expectations, RB.  After a few years, you will be disparaging your own beloved University in a misguided attempt to defend your more-beloved Nutt job.

Today:  Nutt can't win in his THIRD season because of that darned Coach O.
Tomorrow:  Nutt can't win at Ole Miss because you can't recruit to Oxford.
Final stages of the affliction:  If Nutt can't win here, no one can, so why care anymore.  We just suck.

And again, the fact remains that we'll be a freshman and sophomore dominated team in 2010 due in large part to the fact that:

1) we didn't redshirt many players at all from our 2006 class (Orgeron), the would-be 5th year seniors in 2010
2) our 2007 class has only 10 players left due to undersigning and high attrition (Orgeron), those are hte 4th year seniors and 4th year juniors
3) we redshirted a good number of players from the 2008 class (Nutt), so there are will be a limited number of 3rd year juniors on our team in 2010

Here is a break down for what we'll have in 2010:

From 2006 class: 7 fifth year seniors
From 2007 class: 6 fourth year seniors, 4 fourth year juniors
From 2008 class: 6 third year juniors

That's not including Snead who I expect to go pro after this season, and it's not including Jerrell Powe, because it's hard to determine which signing class to count him toward, but he will be a senior in 2010 if he stays.

So, barring more players than Snead leaving early for the NFL, we'll have 14 scholarship seniors and 10 scholarship juniors on our 2010 team not counting any Juco players we add in our coming class.  Facts are facts, and that means we'll have a young team in 2010.  Only an unrealistic fan would expect big things from a team with 14 scholarship seniors and 10 scholarship juniors.  I still expect us to be a 6 or 7 win team in 2010.  By 2011 and 2012, I expect us to be better than a 6 or 7 win team, because we won't be young anymore.  So, by no means am I going to give our coaching staff a pass in 2011 and 2012.  However, not being unreasonable forces me to look at 2010 and realize we're going to be in for a rebuilding year with a young team.

arkyvol

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on July 01, 2009, 11:55:10 pm
Would a Catholic school like ND hire a known Protestant as its football coach?

knute rockne was a lutheran.

Feralhog

Quote from: rebelbruiser on July 02, 2009, 02:08:34 pm
You're right.  We should be demanding 10 wins when we have fewer than 25 juniors and seniors combined in 2010, what am I thinking?

As I said, 6 or 7 wins in 2010 would be a fine season.  I expect us to be pretty good this year, rebuild with a very young team in 2010, and in 2011 and 2012, our young team won't be young anymore.

Also, could you explain which part in particular was so funny?  I'd love to argue with you if you want to bring something to discuss.

If this is an indication of the thought process in Mississippi, Nutt won't need to come beggin for a free pass, you guy's will hand it to him on a silver platter
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

SpareRib

Feral, looks like it'll take them ten years too.  ;D

RB, I respect your team, it's your coach I don't have much use for.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

rebelbruiser

Quote from: SpareRib on July 06, 2009, 09:22:26 am
Feral, looks like it'll take them ten years too.  ;D

RB, I respect your team, it's your coach I don't have much use for.

Honestly, I don't think Nutt will be around Ole Miss for 10 years.  From his comments, I think he's going to be looking for something else eventually.  Our current AD may run him off sooner rather than later.  Pete Boone is an idiot, and he's constantly at odds with Nutt due to his penny-pinching over things like cell phone bills (too many text message joke coming I'm sure) and cheeseburgers.

SpareRib

Quote from: rebelbruiser on July 06, 2009, 10:05:18 am
Honestly, I don't think Nutt will be around Ole Miss for 10 years.  From his comments, I think he's going to be looking for something else eventually.  Our current AD may run him off sooner rather than later.  Pete Boone is an idiot, and he's constantly at odds with Nutt due to his penny-pinching over things like cell phone bills (too many text message joke coming I'm sure) and cheeseburgers.

Agreed.  I believe Nutt will be looking, even if Boone doesn't finish him off sooner.

Hogs12

Quote from: SpareRib on July 06, 2009, 11:43:15 am
Agreed.  I believe Nutt will be looking, even if Boone doesn't finish him off sooner.

I would bet any money that Coach Nutt is already looking for a loaded team.

Sivad

Quote from: arkyvol on July 06, 2009, 07:53:06 am
knute rockne was a lutheran.
Nope.
Knute Rockne, the legendary coach at Notre Dame was baptized a Catholic in 1925, the year after the famous "Four Horsemen" rode into legend.

GuvHog

One would think Pete Boone would learn after making the big mistake of running
David Cutclffe off. He was a good HC and in time I think he would have been very
successful at Ole Miss.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rebelbruiser

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 06, 2009, 02:36:18 pm
One would think Pete Boone would learn after making the big mistake of running
David Cutclffe off. He was a good HC and in time I think he would have been very
successful at Ole Miss.

Cutcliffe's deal, like most coaches, is that he needed good assistants to have success.  He started out at Ole Miss with a really strong staff.  He lost a lot of those coaches to other positions that were promotions for them career-wise.  His problem is that he didn't do a very good job of replacing those assistants.

For what it's worth, I think he currently has a pretty strong staff at Duke, and he'll do well there with that staff.  That's all relative of course.  Getting to 6-6 and a bowl game would be a great job at Duke, and I think he may get there eventually if he can keep a quality staff.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: benthere on July 01, 2009, 02:33:49 pm
Nutt is not only a pretty good coach....he's a tremendous salesman and, so far, experiences the kind of luck that is hard to explain.

ahhhhhhh..........uuuuummmmmmm..........hhhhhmmmmmmmm...........brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

pooop
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

downwitdale

On man, still the fastest text messenger around and frequenting the Sonic Drive-In's I see..... Yup, that's the texticle alright, nothing has changed. That's classic. 

porkurina

Nutt lasted because he did whatever Broyles and Lindsey wanted him to do.  Since Nutt does not have the same job security I'm sure he will not be there for many years. 

But whatever will be, will be......  and karma will be looking Nutt in the face one dark night.

Buff

Our current AD may run him off sooner rather than later. 
Pete Boone is an idiot,

contradictory statements if I've ever seen em

56Hog

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on July 01, 2009, 02:25:27 pm
If I may offer a contrary opinion, Nutt has proven to be a pretty good coach.

Nutt is not a good coach.  Nutt is not a bad coach.  Nutt is an irrelevant coach.

His nearly unprecedented eleven years without an SEC title speaks to that.

The most recent examples of Nutt's "success", wins over eventual NC's LSU and UF only add enphisis to his futility.  No coach has ever done that one before and for good reason:  Usually when you take down an NC contender you at least knock them out of the race.

Whether its a top 10 upset, a seven OT marathon, whatever, with HDN at the helm in the end it amounts to nothing.

Given OM's own record of irrelevance I expect Nutt to muddle through his current recruiting difficulties and survive for an average number of years with predictably mediocre results.

"This is the lesson: never give in, never give in, never, never, never-in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." - Winston Churchill

farmhawg

Motho will be gone after this year.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!