Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Latest Ole Miss signee update (as of the end of June)

Started by rebelbruiser, June 29, 2009, 08:56:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

rebelbruiser

June 29, 2009, 08:56:03 am Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:38:06 am by rebelbruiser
Again, since I know many of you are concerned with how our numbers game is going to work, here is an update including grades through first summer session and who has enrolled for second summer session.

Enrolled (21 enrolled, 20 counting toward 2009 class):
Raymond Cotton - 4 star
Craig Drummond - 4 star
Corey Gaines - 4 star
Pat Patterson - 4 star
Rodney Scott - 4 star
D.T. Shackleford - 4 star
Michael Brown - 3 star
Logan Clair - 3 star (December signee counting toward 2008 class)
Jesse Grandy - 3 star
Terrell Grant - 3 star
Joel Kight - 3 star
Ja-Mes Logan - 3 star
Mike Marry - 3 star
Emmanuel McCray - 3 star
Korvic Neat - 3 star
Charles Sawyer - 3 star
Tim Simon - 3 star
Alex Williams - 3 star
Tyler Campbell - 2 star
Aaron Hawkins - 2 star (grayshirt from 2008 class, counts toward 2009 class)
Dele Junaid - 2 star

Expected to enroll in fall (3):
Zaccheus Mason - 3 star
Ryan Campbell - 2 star
Cameron Whigham - 2 star

Borderline (4):
Bobby Massie - 5 star
Darius Barksdale - 4 star
Jamar Hornsby - 4 star (has grades but status is uncertain due to legal issue)
Frank Crawford -3 star

Nonqualifiers (6):
Willie Ferrell - 3 star
Artice Kellam - 3 star
Demarcus Knight - 3 star
Montez Phillips - 3 star
Eric Smiley - 3 star
Stephen Houston - 2 star

Grayshirts/Preferred Walk-ons (4):
Evan Swindall - 3 star
Mike Thomas - 3 star
Gabriel Hunter - 2 star
Andrew Ritter - 2 star (will be a preferred walk-on and will enroll full-time this fall)

I'm sure you can all do the math.  We have 20 players enrolled counting toward the 2009 class.  We have another 3 that are expected to qualify and 4 on the borderline.  If all those players enrolled, we'd have 27 players coming in with 25 spots, which would mean 2 players that were not asked prior to signing would be asked to grayshirt.  To update the borderline players, Massie, Barksdale, and Crawford all have one or two summer classes to pass to be eligible, so it's highly likely that all 3 qualify.  I'm sure we'll get word on the status of these three and their first summer session classes in the near future.  Hornsby is qualified, but he has the legal issue that may keep him from being allowed to enroll.

However, I have a couple rumors on the numbers subject.  First, is with regard to Darius Barksdale and Jamar Hornsby.  The rumor going around is that if Barksdale qualifies, they may cut Hornsby loose due to the legal trouble.  Barksdale and Hornsby play the same position (SS or OLB), and the rumor is that they may be an either/or deal.  If Barksdale doesn't make it, they may take a chance on Hornsby.  We'll see if that's true in the next month or so.  If true, it would mean that at most we'd have 1 player over the limit that would be asked to grayshirt.

The other rumor is with regard to Zaccheus Mason.  Lately, there has been a rumor that he may have trouble with the clearinghouse.  Supposedly he has his classes, but they think they may run into a snag or two.  If so, he may sit out the fall to re-take a class or re-take the ACT with plans of enrolling in the spring.  Effectively, he would become a grayshirt if they run into delays with the clearinghouse.

As a side note, the most blue chip players we ever had enroll from one class under Orgeron was 7.  We already have 6 enrolled from this class, and it's looking like at least 7, maybe 8 blue chips will be enrolled this fall.

rebelbruiser

Quote from: HoginClinton on June 29, 2009, 12:54:44 pm
I had forgotten all about this. This Hornsby news is no shocker.

If the rumor on Hornsby and Barksdale is true, it's a sucky thing to do to Hornsby.  However, as a fan, I'm secretly glad to know that we're considering the "how important is he to winning" factor when looking at discipline.

We'll see in a few months though.  Last I heard they expected Hornsby's charges to be dropped, so if they cut him loose and his charges are dropped, you know it's because they have a replacement in Barksdale.