Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Most overrated teams in 2009 article

Started by Jborohog09, June 18, 2009, 10:30:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan_no1

THIS...

"Everyone in the SEC West will be better, and Tennessee and South Carolina, also on the schedule, will have improved. Of course, everyone points to the win over Florida as evidence of how good the team was, and will be, but 1) about six things had to happen, from just missed post patterns to a fourth down stop to a missed kick to a blown coverage, to beat the Gators. No excuses, Ole Miss made plays when the Gators didn't, but that was a strange sort of perfect storm upset. 2) Ole Miss lost the two games following the win in Gainesville."
If you're not the lead dog, the view never changes.

MuskogeeHogFan

I think all of the writers had great points, especially in regard to SEC teams. I agree that Ole Miss is over-rated and that "easy schedule" may sneak up and bite them in the proverbial "Hootie". They have two to replace on the O-Line and one of those is the key LT position that protects Snead's backside when throwing. Their defense will be good, but as the writer mentioned, even with all those star players last year, there were a lot of close games. Their defense may keep them in games this year and they will have a good team, but I think we can expect to see things happen during the season that begin to point to their future decline.

Alabama too, is over-rated. They have to replace three O-Linemen and one of those is the key Center position. As maligned as JPW was, he was a pretty fair bus driver who was experienced. Now comes McElroy with RS/Frosh Star Jackson(who is a much better runner than McElroy) breathing down his neck. Combine this with a softer O-Line and the loss of journeyman workhorse RB Glen Coffee, and I think they have less success offensively this year. Like Ole Miss, their defense may keep them in games this year, but when they need that last minute score to win, it may not be there.
Go Hogs Go!

rebelbruiser

June 19, 2009, 07:35:00 am #3 Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 07:53:04 am by rebelbruiser
Quote from: hogfan_no1 on June 19, 2009, 04:46:48 am
THIS...

"Everyone in the SEC West will be better, and Tennessee and South Carolina, also on the schedule, will have improved. Of course, everyone points to the win over Florida as evidence of how good the team was, and will be, but 1) about six things had to happen, from just missed post patterns to a fourth down stop to a missed kick to a blown coverage, to beat the Gators. No excuses, Ole Miss made plays when the Gators didn't, but that was a strange sort of perfect storm upset. 2) Ole Miss lost the two games following the win in Gainesville."

I hate that kind of one sided analysis.  Vanderbilt needed just as many, or more breaks to beat us as we did to beat Florida.  So did South Carolina and Wake Forest.  There are at least 5 or 6 plays in each of those games that had any one of them gone our way, we'd have won each of those games.

You just can't play that game because those bounces go your way some days and they don't on other days.  We were 2-4 in games decided by 7 points or less last year.  That tells me that more of those bounces DIDN'T go our way than did go our way in 2008.  You're rarely going to get all of those bounces to go your way.  Usually you're going to end up no more than 2 games above or below .500 in games decided by 7 points or less.

Also, I hate the "everyone will be better" argument, because it makes the assumption that other teams will be stagnant.  Will Alabama be better?  I don't know.  It'll be hard for them to be better, and honestly I think offensively they'll be worse.  I also don't see where he thinks UT and South Carolina will be improved.  UT had zero offense last year, and this year they have 2 QBs, both of which are awful.  UT is going to play the 2009 season with the sole purpose of trying to sell playing time to 2010 recruits.  South Carolina has 1 QB this year in Garcia, and he's still yet to spend an entire calendar year at South Carolina without a suspension.  Plus, they lost about 4 players early to the NFL draft, and they lost a lot from a defense that was pretty solid for them last year.  I don't see "improved" necessarily.  And again, what says we won't be improved as well?

If you're going to make an analysis, you need to look at both sides of the coin.  Another one I hate that this person didn't do, is when someone only points out the players you lose while ignoring what you return or who will be replacing those players.  I've seen that a handful of times as well.

ETA:  I notice that he's saying we're overrated to be put at No. 5 nationally.  That's difficult to argue, because it's hard not to be overrated if you're saying someone should be Top 5.

RazorChuck

Yes and then there are wanna-be coachs who have a tendency to flop when expectations are high.....

ChicoHog

I like the first 3 guys comments as I am an avid Oregon and USC hater also.  I hope UCLA sneaks up this year but I don't think they are there yet.  Cal should also be pretty good.

cbjagman

How could Ole Misery possibly be overrated? After all, they have the largest recruiting class in NCAA history-at least half a hundred. More importantly, however, is a coach in Hooter Dale that truly "loves the (OM) helmet".

press ham

Quote from: rebelbruiser on June 19, 2009, 07:35:00 am
I hate that kind of one sided analysis.  Vanderbilt needed just as many, or more breaks to beat us as we did to beat Florida.  So did South Carolina and Wake Forest.  There are at least 5 or 6 plays in each of those games that had any one of them gone our way, we'd have won each of those games.

get used to making these types of statement. you lost those games because your coach likes to sit on the lead in the second half. his method will have you losing to or squeaking by inferior opponents.

Iwastherein1969

You just can't play that game because those bounces go your way some days and they don't on other days.  We were 2-4 in games decided by 7 points or less last year.  That tells me that more of those bounces DIDN'T go our way than did go our way in 2008.  You're rarely going to get all of those bounces to go your way.  Usually you're going to end up no more than 2 games above or below .500 in games decided by 7 points or less.

Also, I hate the "everyone will be better" argument, because it makes the assumption that other teams will be stagnant.  Will Alabama be better?  I don't know.  It'll be hard for them to be better, and honestly I think offensively they'll be worse.  I also don't see where he thinks UT and South Carolina will be improved.  UT had zero offense last year, and this year they have 2 QBs, both of which are awful.  UT is going to play the 2009 season with the sole purpose of trying to sell playing time to 2010 recruits.  South Carolina has 1 QB this year in Garcia, and he's still yet to spend an entire calendar year at South Carolina without a suspension.  Plus, they lost about 4 players early to the NFL draft, and they lost a lot from a defense that was pretty solid for them last year.  I don't see "improved" necessarily.  And again, what says we won't be improved as well?

If you're going to make an analysis, you need to look at both sides of the coin.  Another one I hate that this person didn't do, is when someone only points out the players you lose while ignoring what you return or who will be replacing those players.  I've seen that a handful of times as well.

ETA:  I notice that he's saying we're overrated to be put at No. 5 nationally.  That's difficult to argue, because it's hard not to be overrated if you're saying someone should be Top 5.
the window for HOTTY TODDY to finally make the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP game in Atlanta is exactly this season...it will close if the Rebs don't make it in 2009 as Arkansas, Alabama and LSU will all 3 clearly surpass Ole Miss in talent....LSU and Alabama already have and Arkansas with one more recruiting class will do so....take heart Rebelbruiser, after this season its back to fighting it out with MSU and AU for that 4th, 5th and 6th positions as the top 3 will be locked up for years to come
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

BigE_23

Bottom line...even with the most talented team, your coach is going to find a way to lose more close games than win them. Just do your research and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Our team last year was in more close games than just about anyone, but our youth/inexperience was what cost us. Under a quality coach we'll win those close games.

Last year, Ole Mrs. had an experienced team and lost games, because you have a stupid coaching staff that doesn't prepare their players well.

Nutt will win the occasional close game against a top flight team (see Ark vs LSU in 07) but he'll find a way to lose more often than win them.

It used to frustrate me, but now I will delight in seeing it happen to Ole Mrs!

Justifiable Hogicide

Ole` Miss at No. 5?
What a hootie-dale hoot!
You Rebs are going to need truckloads of hoddy toddies to salve the pain the inglorious nutt "family" is going to bring your program.

dddollars

stronguard

Ole Miss won't finish inside the top 15.  They will probably be 3rd or 4th in the SEC W.

Music City Bowl here they come!!!!
If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

MacHog19

If the history of Hootie's teams underachieving holds true, then all the talent in the world won't keep the Rebels from hitting that "nutt-i-ocrity" of a 4-4 SEC season (7-5 overall) and an Independence or Liberty Bowl birth in late December.

Fisticuffs

Yea and if one particular call went are way when Ole Miss came to town, Houston Nutt and one of the best Ole Miss teams in history wouldve lost to one of the worst Arkansas teams in history.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: hogfan_no1 on June 19, 2009, 04:46:48 am
Ole Miss lost the two games following the win in Gainesville.

Which is classic Dork.  There is always a letdown coming with him every season.  The only question is when does it occur.

He'll have people in Mississippi tearing their hair out in short order.

oklahogjr

actually i'm not goin to personally attack nutt for this one....sure he is known to lose games that should be blowouts and win a game or two that he shouldn't....but i think the reality of this overhype belongs to the media.....a team should not have a 9-4 season and then all the sudden be assumed there a top five team......and if you look at the wins and loses(if you are really that great you should in no way even have a close game with vandy much less lose it) for every good win there is a lose that just doesn't make sense......with that said olemiss will be a top 20-25 ranked team at the end of the season and should be sitting about 15th right now instead of 5
lets go bowlin

PorkSoda

June 24, 2009, 01:50:23 pm #17 Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 01:52:11 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: stronguard on June 20, 2009, 02:41:48 pm
Ole Miss won't finish inside the top 15.  They will probably be 3rd or 4th in the SEC W.

Music City Bowl here they come!!!!
This ^^^^^^^^

Ole Miss may have some talent left over for the Orgeron years, but top 5? not even close.  they needed like 12 bad calls to go thier way when they beat us by less than 3 points last year.  This year, OM will be pummeled.  HDN likes to keep the expectations at 6 wins a year, and that is about the best they'll do, give or take a game.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

go hogues

In my opinion, the writer went easy on you guys in regard to your coach.  He could have listed another example known as the Nutt factor.
However, I agree with the writer.  You are ranked in the top 10 because you beat last year's media darlings, the Texas Tech Red raiders.
Enjoy this season, cause it's your last good one for a long, long time.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

3kgthog

Nutt with no expectations = decent season.

Nutt with high expectations = flaming turd in a toilet bowl that is missing a flush handle.

FanWithFacts

If Ole Miss is preseason # 5 and ends the season as # 10 will you guys bash him for not living up to expectations?

alohawg

Quote from: FanWithFacts on June 24, 2009, 09:01:26 pm
If Ole Miss is preseason # 5 and ends the season as # 10 will you guys bash him for not living up to expectations?

Since that will not happen I guess we'll never know. Btw, I  bet 95% of rebel fans would trade coaches with us in a heartbeat.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Landshark

Quote from: alohawg on June 24, 2009, 09:09:02 pm
Btw, I  bet 95% of rebel fans would trade coaches with us in a heartbeat.

Btw, I bet 99.9% of Ole Miss fans would think you were out of your mind for suggesting that.

Here's a fun little project for you:

1) Pick an Ole Miss board...ANY Ole Miss board.

2) Post that insane little notion of yours.

3) See how many "HELL NO." responses you get.

go hogues

Quote from: Landshark on June 24, 2009, 10:20:08 pm
Btw, I bet 99.9% of Ole Miss fans would think you were out of your mind for suggesting that.

All the Ole Miss boards suck.  It's not worth the effort of navigating them.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

jpenrod1

Ohio State is always the most overrated team, and VT.

Landshark

June 24, 2009, 10:29:33 pm #25 Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 10:35:03 pm by Landshark
Quote from: go hogues on June 24, 2009, 10:23:01 pm
All the Ole Miss boards suck.  It's not worth the effort of navigating them.

No, it's not worth finding out that the person who posted the idea that Ole Miss fans would want Petrino over Nutt is completely full of crap.

The ONLY time Ole Miss fans EVER want to see Petrino in Oxford is for his annual arse-kicking by the Rebels.

Fisticuffs

Quote from: Landshark on June 24, 2009, 10:29:33 pm
No, it's not worth finding out that the person who posted the idea that Ole Miss fans would want Petrino over Nutt is completely full of crap.

The ONLY time Ole Miss fans EVER want to see Petrino in Oxford is for his annual arse-kicking by the Rebels.
But how is it annual if we only play in oxford every other year?

Jborohog09

Quote from: Landshark on June 24, 2009, 10:29:33 pm

too bad it will be CBP doing the arse-kicking.

Landshark

Quote from: Fisticuffs on June 24, 2009, 10:57:52 pm
But how is it annual if we only play in oxford every other year?

I almost used the term "biennial", but I didn't want to use words Pig fans might not understand. 

Landshark

Quote from: Jborohog09 on June 24, 2009, 11:02:21 pm
too bad it will be CBP doing the arse-kicking.

Well, so far:

Ole Miss - 1

Petrino - 0

Fisticuffs

Quote from: Landshark on June 24, 2009, 11:04:13 pm
I almost used the term "biennial", but I didn't want to use words Pig fans might not understand. 
I dont understand

Jborohog09

Quote from: Landshark on June 24, 2009, 11:06:42 pm
Well, so far:

Ole Miss - 1

Petrino - 0

you beat one of the worst teams in Arkansas history by two points on a B.S. call.  must be proud.

Landshark

Fisticuffs

I think landshark is a NUTT HUGGER!!!! everybody laugh and point!

Landshark

Quote from: Jborohog09 on June 24, 2009, 11:08:33 pm
you beat one of the worst teams in Arkansas history by two points on a B.S. call.  must be proud.

Yes, very.  The refs were worth every penny we paid for them.

::)

Landshark

Quote from: Fisticuffs on June 24, 2009, 11:12:43 pm
I think landshark is a NUTT HUGGER!!!! everybody laugh and point!

I think you're a 12 year old who should probably be in bed. 

Fisticuffs

Quote from: Landshark on June 24, 2009, 11:14:50 pm
I think you're a 12 year old who should probably be in bed. 
I know you are but what am i? not a nutt hugger thats for sure

Landshark

Quote from: Fisticuffs on June 24, 2009, 11:16:49 pm
I know you are but what am i? not a nutt hugger thats for sure

Thank you for proving my point.

Nutt hugger?  NO.

An OLE MISS fan who (in spite of the opinions expressed here) thinks Houston Nutt is a damn good football coach and is happy as hell to have him in Oxford?  YES.

23-21.

Jborohog09

Quote from: Landshark on June 24, 2009, 11:20:40 pm

Nutt hugger?  NO.

An OLE MISS fan who (in spite of the opinions expressed here) thinks Houston Nutt is a damn good football coach and is happy as hell to have him in Oxford?  YES.

23-21.

rofl.  Houston Nutt a good coach, good one.

Fisticuffs

Quote from: Landshark on June 24, 2009, 11:20:40 pm

Nutt hugger?  NO.

23-21.
So let me get this straight.... you are an Ole Miss fan

Jborohog09

Quote from: Fisticuffs on June 24, 2009, 11:25:50 pm

I could have told u that.

Landshark

Quote from: Jborohog09 on June 24, 2009, 11:23:39 pm
rofl.  Houston Nutt a good coach, good one.

Yep.

From 3-9 to 9-4 in a single season...top 20 (just one spot behind you piggies) recruiting class.

Find a single sports media writer outside Arky that disagrees with me....I dare you.

Landshark

Quote from: Fisticuffs on June 24, 2009, 11:25:50 pm

Nothing gets by you, does it?

::)

Fisticuffs

Quote from: Landshark on June 24, 2009, 11:29:37 pm
Yep.

From 3-9 to 9-4 in a single season...top 20 (just one spot behind you piggies) recruiting class.

Find a single sports media writer outside Arky that disagrees with me....I dare you.

Dont be a puss... triple dog dare him!

Jborohog09

Quote from: Landshark on June 24, 2009, 11:29:37 pm
Yep.

anyone could have won 9 games at OM last year, heck I probably could have won 10 or 11. 

and as far as media is concerned, did u read the link on this thread?

FanWithFacts

I read the link. The teams that were mentioned as overrated were USC, Ohio State, Bama, Ole Miss, Texas, Va Tech, Penn State, Oregon and Boise State. That's not bad company to be keeping.

Preseason rankings don't matter anyway. It's not where you start, it's where you finish. We are all undefeated right now.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Landshark on June 24, 2009, 10:20:08 pm

4. Realize that inbreeding and mental retardation in the state of Mississippi is extremely high.

Fisticuffs

Quote from: FanWithFacts on June 25, 2009, 12:03:16 am
I read the link. The teams that were mentioned as overrated were USC, Ohio State, Bama, Ole Miss, Texas, Va Tech, Penn State, Oregon and Boise State. That's not bad company to be keeping.

Preseason rankings don't matter anyway. It's not where you start, it's where you finish. We are all undefeated right now.
Wow another one?? lol i think its about time ole miss gets their own message board

wachhog

stronguard

If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.