Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

keithh1999

I will call and ask him.

What are you talking about? Honestly.
Pig Farmers are cool.

passinghog

You're not the only that was confused by this thread.
Is this supposed to be a positive or negative topic question? Many are confused...

LJHOG

I know the answer.  He and the rest of the staff have evaluated the players currently on the squad.  From there they have developed a list of both immediate and long-term need positions.  Next they have gone about evaluating the available players who fit those needs and assigned a ranking to each.  Now they are in the process of reevaluating that list and offering players they think fit the bill.  At this point I'd say things are going pretty well.

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Razorod

Perhaps--why offer Uekman instead of Mosely when there isn't much difference between the two and by not offering Mosely you alienate Dyer? Other than that, I don't know.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

newera

I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

SquidBilly

He's offerring the best kids available rather than just the best kids from the state of Arkansas.  He is recruiting the way we pay him to do it.  He's not being paid to field an Arkansas high school all star team as some seem to believe he should be.

Razorod

Don't get me wrong. I'm just guessing at the reason for Biggus' question.

doublep

Quote from: Razorod on June 15, 2009, 08:15:45 pm
Perhaps--why offer Uekman instead of Mosely when there isn't much difference between the two and by not offering Mosely you alienate Dyer? Other than that, I don't know.

Maybe they see a large difference between the two.

creecy

Petrino will offer who he thinks is best. U may not see a big difference between mosley and uekman but maybe he does.  When you become coach you can make that call. Until then I trust petrino. 
Freight broker looking for loads, email me!

Razorod

good grief--I'm just trying to answer the question posed at the top of the thread, I've not seen either one play and have no idea who's the better or how much better one is than the other.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Razorod on June 15, 2009, 08:33:09 pm
good grief--I'm just trying to answer the question posed at the top of the thread, I've not seen either one play and have no idea who's the better or how much better one is than the other.

I don't think anyone is attacking you.  I know my post definitely wasn't.  I was simply answering the OP's question also.  There are some on here though that think Petrino should be obligated to offer all of the good Arkansas kids.

ki285

offering the guys he thinks will get us to the next level.  i assume you are talking about the whole dyer situation.  if petrino doesnt think mosley deserves a scholarship he isnt gonna be like auburn and offer him 1 to try and get dyer

The real Hogules

Quote from: Razorod on June 15, 2009, 08:15:45 pm

Seriously though, CBP must see a huge difference in Ukeman's ability over than of Mosley at the TE position, or otherwise he'd offer Mosley to increase his chances of landing a 5 star stud TB like Dyer.

I am sometimes amazed at the level of suspicion some of our fans have towards our coaches and their motives in recruiting, then I remember how our last head coach and his posse conducted themselves and completely understand to an extent................... :o
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Razorod

Quote from: ATLpiggie on June 15, 2009, 08:48:36 pm
I don't think anyone is attacking you.  I know my post definitely wasn't.  I was simply answering the OP's question also.  There are some on here though that think Petrino should be obligated to offer all of the good Arkansas kids.
I didn't feel attacked. I just want to be clear that Im not questioning Petrino. all the fuss is about dyer/mosely so i assumed that's what biggus is getting at. from what i can tell, uekman is regarded by those who have seen them play as a better prospect, but perhaps not by much--especially if you consider that Petrino gave him a time frame to commit in. my suspicion is that IF there is not much difference between the two why not offer the guy who has the relationship with Dyer? Both are from Arkansas, in this case it's not about out-of-state vs. in-state. But, running back is not a high need position for us, so I guess petrino went ahead and went with the TE he felt fit better for him and I'm fine with that. I'm also confident that Petrino will sign a very good back if not dyer.

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 15, 2009, 07:04:57 pm
this year, go right ahead.

What the holy Frank?

Anytime you want to explain to me why you are a HDN fan this year, go right ahead.

What the holy Biggus Piggus.

News flash... We control the kids we recruit these days not the other way around.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

PigWig

Quote from: doublep on June 15, 2009, 08:27:14 pm
Maybe they see a large difference between the two.
Because there is a large difference.  Uekman has the speed, size, and tools to be an SEC player. 

Razorod

Quote from: PigWig on June 15, 2009, 09:03:01 pm
Because there is a large difference.  Uekman has the speed, size, and tools to be an SEC player. 
this is my suspicion as well. auburn is only offering to have a shot at dyer. chizik has to roll the dice to have a shot.

OLDHOG

I have never seen Mosley play, but I know Uekman's aunt and she told me he was playing in a basketball thing last weekend. That suggests to me an athletic player. Maybe that's what Petrino sees?

Kenny Hawgins

i see no reason to start questioning petrino yet.

1) he wasn't left much to work with so i'll give him a pass on last year
2) he has already done a very good job recruiting despite many disadvantages thanks to the previous staff and the national media and has upgraded talent already on campus through a very good strength and conditioning program
3) his history suggests that he knows how to evaluate and develop talent (even players that aren't rated highly) and build a team to fit his players' strengths

as long as we see progress on the field, i see no reason to question what he's doing.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Razorod on June 15, 2009, 09:05:18 pm
this is my suspicion as well. auburn is only offering to have a shot at dyer. chizik has to roll the dice to have a shot.
they offered a lesser rated player from olive branch last year.  i suspect it was to try to get aubrey phillips.  phillips went to fsu and the guy they offered took the scholarship offer from auburn. 
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Bubba's Bruisers

BP certainly understands two facts...

1.  There are still 8 months to NSD.
2.  On NSD, the so-called "package" deal almost never actually occurs.

We'll see.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

MJ2

With Petrino there is a little different dynamic in place.   He has no real ties to AR, and his boss (Jeff Long) is not as linked to any specific alums or donors, so there is not a built in need to recruit as many in state kids.   I don't like it either, but ultimately we all want to win and if his method generates wins, I'm okay.  If it goes the other direction and we're losing in staters and then racking up loses to teams loaded with AR kids, then I'll be ready to Bring Home Gus.  For now, let's let Petrino make his decisions on recruits.

wholehog92

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 15, 2009, 07:04:57 pm
this year, go right ahead.

What the holy Frank?

Getting the best players he can to fill the positions he sees as a weakness on the football depth chart.  Past history has shown him to be proficient at that very task.  What qualifies you to generically question his methods?
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Table Rocker

Football knowledge Petrino has in his big toe > Football knowledge Biggus has in his whole body (you could substitute any of our names here)

beansandtaters

Petrino really reminds me a lot of Tony LaRussa. Both are so cerebral that everything seems to be well thought out and planned. With coaches like them, they often leave themselves open to criticism by untrusting fans because their decisions often do not flow with the mainstream (i.e. offering uekman instead of mosley).  However, as with Cardinal fans and LaRussa, I think we have to sit back and enjoy the ride.  Petrino is an offensive genius. No one questions his football acumen.  He has a plan and is, no doubt, executing it.  I expect to be pleasantly surprised on national signing day with an excellent class.

PigPusher

Petrino and his staff are the experts here and as such I'll bet they know what they are doing.  It might not all be clear to us plebes but there has to be a little trust here.  In the meanwhile I'll defer to the coaches.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

The Hogfather

This thread has to be an attempt to get hits on the website.  I don't think he's being serious.  At least, I hope not.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hawgsmellgud on June 15, 2009, 09:02:00 pm

Anytime you want to explain to me why you are a HDN fan this year, go right ahead.

ROFL!  Intelligent response, that was not.

Let me lay out the bright orange crayon.

1. Very limited scholarships available for 2010 class.
2. First offers go to...players who could be offered in January.

Just because I asked the question doesn't make it a FULL FRONTAL ASSAULT ON ALL HOLY THINGS RAZORBACK.

It's just a question.  Where are the big name recruits?  Is Petrino unable to recruit off the A list yet?  And does anybody understand what is going on with Dyer?

When they recruit a real pro-type left offensive tackle, I'll breathe a sigh of relief.

Good lord.  I guess discussion has gone the way of the dodo around here.  Let's all bow at the altar and place our sacrifices.  Nothing but worship going on here.
[CENSORED]!

311Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 16, 2009, 09:20:06 am

Just because I asked the question doesn't make it a FULL FRONTAL ASSAULT ON ALL HOLY THINGS RAZORBACK.

It's just a question.  Where are the big name recruits?  Is Petrino unable to recruit off the A list yet?  And does anybody understand what is going on with Dyer?

When they recruit a real pro-type left offensive tackle, I'll breathe a sigh of relief.

Good lord.  I guess discussion has gone the way of the dodo around here.  Let's all bow at the altar and place our sacrifices.  Nothing but worship going on here.

Hmm internet melodrama check
early summer stale period  check
each and every scrap of recruiting "news" obsessed over and wild proclaimations made check

Im pretty sure this thread was not created to spark conversation of anything other then the troll variety, it is WAY to soon in the process to be this worked up.

RZRBack_FAN

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on June 15, 2009, 09:10:31 pm
they offered a lesser rated player from olive branch last year.  i suspect it was to try to get aubrey phillips.  phillips went to fsu and the guy they offered took the scholarship offer from auburn. 
Lesser rated by who? Rivals? Scout?

Maybe Peteino had him rated higher on his board. I'm pretty sure he doesn't sit down and read rivals and make his offers based on that.

hoosier

Quote from: LJHOG on June 15, 2009, 07:24:03 pm
I know the answer.  He and the rest of the staff have evaluated the players currently on the squad.  From there they have developed a list of both immediate and long-term need positions.  Next they have gone about evaluating the available players who fit those needs and assigned a ranking to each.  Now they are in the process of reevaluating that list and offering players they think fit the bill.  At this point I'd say things are going pretty well.
I would say this answers all your questions.

DoggtownHog

It kind of seems like Mosley is trying to force the staff to take him if they want Dyer. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I get from the situation. Maybe the staff feels this way too and wants to let kids know who is running the show.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

311Hog

Quote from: DoggtownHog on June 16, 2009, 10:00:14 am
It kind of seems like Mosley is trying to force the staff to take him if they want Dyer. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I get from the situation. Maybe the staff feels this way too and wants to let kids know who is running the show.

i think that is the "internet" effect, i would doubt that Mosley himself is trying to force anything.  Just the "typing heads" on the internets making big deal out of nothing.

disclaimer: my post is totally my opinion

SRFL

Oy vey.  Do you even know the list of offers out? 

Additionally, maybe he is too preoccupied with Walt getting his son a schollie to Aubbie to do any real work. 

Overreact much?

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: SRFL on June 16, 2009, 10:05:33 am
Oy vey.  Do you even know the list of offers out? 

Additionally, maybe he is too preoccupied with Walt getting his son a schollie to Aubbie to do any real work. 

Overreact much?

OK, as long as you're happy, everything's fine.
[CENSORED]!

SRFL

What are you unhappy about?  Do yo know just how cryptic yo are being?  throw down about it at least.  Do you know what offers are out and are you happy about them?

The Hogfather

Then we wouldn't sign them.  In fact, I think they've done a great job in evaluating guys and they are confident in their evaluations.  Confident enough to let these kids commit to us in May and June.  Petrino is a proven commodity.  He can evaluate talent with the best of them.  I am not worried a bit.  Especially, what, 232 days from signing day.

Oklahawg

Biggus, I'll bite.

Are you suggesting that the staff didn't follow through on its self-pronounced ability to recruit vs anyone (last February) and wound up whiffing during the spring eval period? There was a disturbing silence as several top prospects committed elsewhere (Caleb Lavey to Okie State, Joeckel's to A&M, for example) with whom I thought we had a good shot.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pork Twain

Anytime you can REALLY find something to bitch about, go ahead...

Maybe the players that BP and staff have offered are the ones that they want...

Maybe they still have a good shot at many other players out there, but want to to fill their needs now and cherry pick later.  Does that sound like last year to anyone else?

Maybe he knows what he is doing...  Until he proves that Louisville was a fluke and turns out to be another HDN, he will have my faith.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Oliver

I'll bite too Biggus. 

While I still have confidence in Petrino to pull down another great recruiting class for us, there are some things right now that I've noticed are a little concerning.

I'm interested in what you are concerned about and I hope you express those concerns because unlike others around here I'm never hot on the If You Aren't Kissing Coaches A$#es, You Aren't Contributing attitude.

311Hog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on June 16, 2009, 10:38:11 am
I'll bite too Biggus. 

While I still have confidence in Petrino to pull down another great recruiting class for us, there are some things right now that I've noticed are a little concerning.

I'm interested in what you are concerned about and I hope you express those concerns because unlike others around here I'm never hot on the If You Aren't Kissing Coaches A$#es, You Aren't Contributing attitude.

Me either, but 232 days man the recruiting season is barely in it's infancy.  To early for this come back in 4 months.

SRFL

Biggus, who are you comparing us to btw?  Texas?  Aggy?  Aubbie?

Oliver

Quote from: 311Hog on June 16, 2009, 10:40:43 am
Me either, but 232 days man the recruiting season is barely in it's infancy.  To early for this come back in 4 months.

I know.  I'm not ready to jump off a bridge but it's never too early to express concerns. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: 311Hog on June 16, 2009, 10:40:43 am

Can someone tell me where we were as far as our recruiting class goes at this point last year?

hog19911

Which players have you evaluated and decided could have been offered in January?
Big name recruits? It's June i wonder how many big name recruits were committed to us at this time last year? Also what is your definitiion of a real pro type left offensive tackle? Because Oden fits that  bill to me.