Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Revenues vs. expenses for SEC teams.

Started by JDS, June 01, 2009, 10:41:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JDS

Sortable data from the Columbus Dispatch with all Div 1 teams revenues and expenses.

Found the link in an article on The Wiz of Odds regarding colleges possible twisting federal privacy laws.

Here is the SEC data...Click here.

Very interesting info in both the article and the data.

Banned from Woopig by my brother, Elvis.

No, really.  He is my brother.  I am banned.  Do I need to explain it further?

Hawgon

NWASooner

QuoteWe need to raise our revenues.

That means higher ticket prices.

Most of these SEC schools seem to be breaking even.  Auburn, Georgia, and Florida has good profit margins, though.

For all you Notre Dame haters, they have expenses of $60 million and revenue of $83 million and most of both figures is probably football heavy.  That's a nice 38% margin.  They'll never join a conference.  Why should they?

Lard

Does Vanderbilt really have more football revenue than Ole Piss and Moo U?
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

HogDom

We will probably see a slight increase in revenue with the new student ticket re-selling program. I have changed my opinion on the matter, used to be highly opposed to it, but I had my blinders on. This will help the University.

regi

Quote from: Lard on June 01, 2009, 11:32:22 am

Not hard to believe, Mississippi is a poor state with 3 D1 programs, how much revenue is there for them to have. Their has been talk of State and Ole Piss bolting to be in a more competitive situation, but why leave the gravy train.

pitbull1

They won't leave the SEC!  Both have been here too long.

Razorfox

There is no excuse for Alabama to have two schools with that much more revenue than us.  I know it's a slightly larger state, but not that much more so. 

SpringTxHOG

Be careful for what you ask for.  How does 4-5k sound for football season tickets?  That's what it costs for 4 decent season ticket in Austin w/ Longhorn Foundation dues.

Lard

Quote from: SpringTxHOG on June 01, 2009, 01:31:59 pm
Be careful for what you ask for.  How does 4-5k sound for football season tickets?  That's what it costs for 4 decent season ticket in Austin w/ Longhorn Foundation dues.
Doesn't sound very good....but Texas has been to how many BCS games in the past 10 years?
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

Hornkiller

Quote from: pitbull1 on June 01, 2009, 11:50:14 am
They won't leave the SEC!  Both have been here too long.

For them to leave would probably mean being shown the door by the other 10 schools because we got two better programs to join the SEC. And I'm sure it would be kicking and screaming all the way.

DEVICEHIGH

Quote from: Razorfox on June 01, 2009, 01:09:53 pm
There is no excuse for Alabama to have two schools with that much more revenue than us.  I know it's a slightly larger state, but not that much more so. 
Twice the population.
Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American

Root66

University of Mississippi    Rebels   University, Miss   Expenses $34,769,709.00   Revenue $34,769,709.00

I find this hard to believe. Either they are hiding profits or they are so embarrassed by the money they are losing, they are falsely reporting.

Speedracer

Wow, interesting info.  Thanks for the post!
Like smites bother me.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Razorfox on June 01, 2009, 01:09:53 pm
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on June 01, 2009, 02:16:12 pm
Twice the population.

And a LOT more industry.

Arkansas is farming and forestry.  Sure, Alabama has a lot of that, too, but they have developed more industry over the years than Arkansas.

I used to sell technical, specialty industrial chemicals.  My company had just me in the entire state of Ark.; we had 5 guys in Mobile alone.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Razorfox

Sad, Arkansas needs to get some of the industry that's fleeing the Northeast and Northwest.  Why can't the state seem to get it together when it comes to this stuff?  I'm not from Arkansas, so a history lesson may be in order.   

Hornkiller

Well the growth in NWA has been amazing with Wal-Mart and the vendors, Tyson etc... The companies will sponsor Razorback events but the people moving in have seemed to have a harder time supporting the Razorbacks. At best for a lot of people moving in the Razorbacks are their #2 team behind the team they've always rooted for.

mj4president

Quote from: Razorfox on June 01, 2009, 03:40:47 pm
Sad, Arkansas needs to get some of the industry that's fleeing the Northeast and Northwest.  Why can't the state seem to get it together when it comes to this stuff?  I'm not from Arkansas, so a history lesson may be in order.   

The east and southern parts don't have many people who graduate college let alone high school. There isn't enough qualified people (we don't have many people to start with) to have huge industry.
"Let's do this tonight! Nothing like a legendary night to remember. I'll tell all my grand pups one day about the 3 am walk off home run by Jared Gates." MJ4President just hours before it happened.

GUMLEAFER

Do these figures include all known revenues, even donations to the razorback foundation?

NuttinItUp

June 01, 2009, 04:28:51 pm #19 Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:31:51 pm by NuttinItUp
Wow, the SEC East is bringing in much more bacon than the SEC West.

$391,765,767.00 in revenue and $348,920,958.00  in expenses (total) for the West, and
$462,024,865.00 in revenue and $433,912,000.00 in expenses (total) for the East.

That is approximately 15% more revenue and 20% more in money spent on their program in the SEC East vs the SEC West.

bigdaddyhawg

June 01, 2009, 04:31:12 pm #20 Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 04:32:53 pm by bigdaddyhawg

I'm not really sure why it is.  I know for years a lot of the money was held in only a few hands in this state.

I think in the past Ark. has not aggressively pursued major industry to come here.  I heard a story, don't know if it is true, that one of the Japanese automakers wanted to put a plant somewhere between Pine Bluff and LR, but they could not get the governments involved to give them a tax break to do it.  It went to Tenn. I think.  Like I said, that's what I was told.  I do remember shortly after I was told this info. I read about the company building the plant in another state.

Everyone's also probably heard the Federal Express story -- I'm pretty sure than one is true.  There's not telling how many tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars that cost the state.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

NuttinItUp

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on June 01, 2009, 04:31:12 pm
I'm not really sure why it is.  I know for years a lot of the money was held in only a few hands in this state.

I think in the past Ark. has not aggressively pursued major industry to come here.  I heard a story, don't know if it is true, that one of the Japanese automakers wanted to put a plant somewhere between Pine Bluff and LR, but they could not get the governments involved to give them a tax break to do it.  It went to Tenn. I think.  Like I said, that's what I was told.

Everyone's also probably heard the Federal Express story -- I'm pretty sure than one is true.  There's not telling how many tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars that cost the state.
Yeah, basically how you get more industry to come to your state is lower taxes (even income taxes work to discourage business development if you know anything about economics) and have more business friendly laws. Its a pretty simple formula, actually.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: mj4president on June 01, 2009, 03:51:57 pm
The east and southern parts don't have many people who graduate college let alone high school. There isn't enough qualified people (we don't have many people to start with) to have huge industry.

That's a pretty unfair assumption, don't you think?

If you are basing the fact that Alabama has more industry because they have more qualified/educated preople, then you might want to check Alabama's graduation rate compared to Arkansas and the rest of the nation....

Again, I think you are a little off on your assumption.....

bp

UAfanatic

wow.. Auburn is pocketing 20,000,000, 

that's some rainy day cash..

we're still hand to mouth.. that stinks

FSguy38

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 01, 2009, 04:34:00 pm
Yeah, basically how you get more industry to come to your state is lower taxes (even income taxes work to discourage business development if you know anything about economics) and have more business friendly laws. Its a pretty simple formula, actually.

Education is an issue as well, I think it was Toyota or a subsidiary of Toyota that was looking at the delta a few years ago, and decided against it because they didn't believe they had a large enough pool of qualified or trainable workers in the immediate area to draw from.

arkyvol

chicken plants don't pay as much as car plants.

hogsanity

Because the attitude seems to have always been " We dont need no high falutin factory or technical jobs here, we uns can just get by with farms and chickes and such "

Seriously, Ar has to be one of the most unfriendly states toward business.  It almost seems to physically pain the leaders to consider things like tax breaks or rebates to attract large employers. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: FSguy38 on June 02, 2009, 07:35:51 am
Education is an issue as well, I think it was Toyota or a subsidiary of Toyota that was looking at the delta a few years ago, and decided against it because they didn't believe they had a large enough pool of qualified or trainable workers in the immediate area to draw from.

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2009, 08:26:25 am
Because the attitude seems to have always been " We dont need no high falutin factory or technical jobs here, we uns can just get by with farms and chickes and such "

Seriously, Ar has to be one of the most unfriendly states toward business.  It almost seems to physically pain the leaders to consider things like tax breaks or rebates to attract large employers. 

Both of these posts pretty much sum up the reasons, I believe.  Good posts.

Razorvet

I have heard many members of the older generation and rural Arkansans say they dont want the state to grow.

Ash

What hogsanity and Razorvet said. We have a large population of people that don't want growth. You reap what you sow.

kimjongsqUeAl

Quote from: Razorvet on June 02, 2009, 08:34:32 am
I have heard many members of the older generation and rural Arkansans say they dont want the state to grow.

I have heard that WAY too many times.  We have too many country bumpkins who hate people and want their neighbors to be no closer than 2 miles away.  Welcome to the 21st century ya friggin' hicks!

GO HOGS!!!!!
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

hogfan064

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on June 02, 2009, 08:55:53 am
I have heard that WAY too many times.  We have too many country bumpkins who hate people and want their neighbors to be no closer than 2 miles away.  Welcome to the 21st century ya friggin' hicks!

GO HOGS!!!!!

If you are happy with the way you are living then why would you want change?  These people have lived this way for many years and are happy.  I live in a rural area and love it. It's not that I hate people, it's that I enjoy nature and peace.  My kids and dogs can go outside, play, and make as much noise as they want and I don't have to worry about some neighbor telling me we're being too loud.

If I want to plant something I don't have to ask permission from a homeowners association.  If I want to build a pond on my property I can.  If I want to expand my house, then that's not an issue.  If I want to put a building of some sorts on my property I can. 

There is nothing wrong at all with loving to live in a rural area.

TheGunther

Just like in my town would work for this state.  The problems in Arkansas are nothing a few funerals couldn't fix.  We could possibly lead the way with 'green jobs' (creating solar panels and such) but no one can seem to remove head from ass.
everybody wanna be a bodybuilder, no one wanna lift no heavy ass weight!

hogfan064

Southern Miss is last in CUSA as well.  This is kind of a surprise because Southern Miss is typically one of the better schools in that league and they draw much better than a school like UAB.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: kim_jong_sqUeAl on June 02, 2009, 08:55:53 am

GO HOGS!!!!!

This is absolutely asinine. Hopefully, you were trying to make a joke.

bp

kimjongsqUeAl

Quote from: BorderPatrol on June 02, 2009, 09:53:07 am
This is absolutely asinine. Hopefully, you were trying to make a joke.

bp

If you would read most of my posts you would know that I'm full of $*** .  ;D
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

George S. Pigton

The eastern half of the conf. schools all reside in states with higher population bases and have greater revenue
producing opportunities in the larger cities. 

In the west, Alabama not only has more people and industry, they also have the gulf coast.  How many of you
have spent thousands down there in hotels, bars, and restaurants on orange beach and the like.

\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

Root66

Quote from: Ash on June 02, 2009, 08:44:32 am
What hogsanity and Razorvet said. We have a large population of people that don't want growth. You reap what you sow.

Apparently what you reap is a multi-billion dollar government takeover...with newly printed money and a government named board of directors reporting directly to the el presidente of the country.

Nashville Fan

Going from memory here, but it appears that total revenue is driven by two factors - stadium size and recent winning history.
Pittman or Bust!

cbjagman

Quote from: Lard on June 01, 2009, 11:32:22 am
Well that comes from the more "tradition rich" history of Ole Misery (at according to the Dale).

hogsanity

Quote from: Root66 on June 02, 2009, 11:42:01 am
Apparently what you reap is a multi-billion dollar government takeover...with newly printed money and a government named board of directors reporting directly to the el presidente of the country.

No, what you could have is a state with a wide variety of industries, and one where the thought of $50+ football tickets didn't spark heart attacks statewide.  Just look at Fort Smith.  We sit basically on Intertstae 40, will be very close to I49 whenever that gets done, have a metro population of well over 100K, and are basically held hostage by 2 plants, Whirlpool and Rheem.  With our geographic location, we could have a wide variety of companies, from traditional manufacturing, to service, to tech, to green, to finance. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Root66

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2009, 12:47:35 pm
No, what you could have is a state with a wide variety of industries, and one where the thought of $50+ football tickets didn't spark heart attacks statewide.  Just look at Fort Smith.  We sit basically on Intertstae 40, will be very close to I49 whenever that gets done, have a metro population of well over 100K, and are basically held hostage by 2 plants, Whirlpool and Rheem.  With our geographic location, we could have a wide variety of companies, from traditional manufacturing, to service, to tech, to green, to finance.

What you need is a good Japanese/Korean car company to alight in Fort Smith. Apparently American car companies aren't worth the powder it would take to blow them up. They can't seem to manage themselves.

hogsanity

Quote from: Root66 on June 02, 2009, 02:35:03 pm
What you need is a good Japanese/Korean car company to alight in Fort Smith. Apparently American car companies aren't worth the powder it would take to blow them up. They can't seem to manage themselves.

We could not get a toy car plant here, much less a real one. 

Root66

Quote from: hogsanity on June 02, 2009, 03:40:30 pm
We could not get a toy car plant here, much less a real one.

C'mon now. If Mississippi can get one, you can too. Of course, all the St. Louis area has left is a Government Motors plant that survived the cut out in Wentzville. Both Ford and Chrysler have bid adieu to St. Louis.

Buck Brewer

Quote from: FSguy38 on June 02, 2009, 07:35:51 am

This is not true. The Toyota plant had Marion as a potential sight. Mississippi, that's right, Mississippi, specifically the Tupelo area, got it because Mississippi promised more goodies cause it sure isn't because of a better educated population. Arkansas, for years, has been handicapped by our constitution to go out and basically outbid other states. We finally passed some law a couple of years back that gave the Governor power over a economic development fund. Unfortunately, the recession has put a damper on this. In LR, Gov. Beebe has used this to help capture two windmill manufacturing facilities and an India base steel pipe outfit. Also, Cat will be building a new manufacturing facility here with the help of that fund. The one knock on the Marion car plant site is now air quality. Those truck stops eventually hurt the entire state here cause a car plant like Toyota is infinitely more valuable than a Flying J parking lot full of smack slingers and lot lizards. Toyota has an axle facility in Marion but it was geared for SUV production and hasn't realized it's potential due to the Gas spike. Other than the air quality knock, Marion is ideal due to its rail for this type of facility. THe Toyota truck plant that went to San Antonio was based on marketing, Toyota folks have as much confessed that it had the Texas truck market in mind when they located there instead of Arkansas. Again, it wasn't about education. You people need to stop talking down your state. I will tell you this, our state is much more fiscally sound because we haven't given away the bank to pimp oursleves out like other states.

NWASooner

QuoteAgain, it wasn't about education

It was to a degree.  There's some third party supplier to Toyota that makes axles or something like that.  They have a plant in Eastern Arkansas.  They advised Toyota against building the plant in Marion because of "workforce issues."  Something like 1/3 of people in the Delta region don't have a high school diploma.  The goodies Mississippi and Arkansas were offering were about a wash.

The main problem Arkansas has is that it's much more rural than most states.  Jobs and money have been flowing to the cities and they will into the future.  Money and jobs won't be flowing to rural communities, regardless of where they are.  Arkansas just happens to have a higher percentage of people living in them.

The Arkansas tax code doesn't help, either.

Buck Brewer

I think your misinterpreting that statement. While Marion is in the Delta, it is also included in an MSA of over a million people(Memphis). Workforce issues could also be union friendly, race and perceptions of work ethic. To single out education is wrong especially when it went to a location in Mississippi. This would also contradict Nissan locating just north of Jackson MS. As for the third party supplier, it's a direct subsidiary of Toyota itself.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: hogfan064 on June 02, 2009, 09:40:51 am
If you are happy with the way you are living then why would you want change?  These people have lived this way for many years and are happy.  I live in a rural area and love it. It's not that I hate people, it's that I enjoy nature and peace.  My kids and dogs can go outside, play, and make as much noise as they want and I don't have to worry about some neighbor telling me we're being too loud.

If I want to plant something I don't have to ask permission from a homeowners association.  If I want to build a pond on my property I can.  If I want to expand my house, then that's not an issue.  If I want to put a building of some sorts on my property I can. 

There is nothing wrong at all with loving to live in a rural area.

Hear.  Hear.

Be careful for what you wish for people.  I've lived in nine states, and about 20 different towns or cities.  There's good and bad in both rural and metropolitan areas, but if I had my choice, I'd take the rural every time. 

Unfortunately, as a former Air Force active duty member, and a current Dept. of Defense civilian, there's not a lot of choice.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

humphrey

I might disagree that AR is in better fiscal shape than some other states and I would definately disagree with your assessment of AR not "pimping" out itself in order to attract business.  Remember that money is made by private industry -- NOT the government.  Government only gets its money from the people -- from private industry.  Those are the ones who pay taxes.  The governmetn gets its money from you and me.  We don't get money from them.

Also, addressing the state's needs, like an educated workforce, is not talking down to the state.  If a problem exists, let's talk about it.  Hiding it does not help.

What would help AR more than anything else would be the state government getting out of the way.  For too many years, AR has been run by democrats who like to tax people to death and think that the governmetn needs to provide a tremendous number of services to very small and wide-ranging groups of people.  The state government looks for people to potentially feel sorry for, then tax entrepreneurs to the hilt to give someone else a state highway close to their house.

If we want a case study, let's look at the state with the highest unemployment in the USA -- Michigan.  Under John Engler (gov. from 91-03), MI's tax rate plummeted, businesses were catered to, unemployment dropped to record lows, many governmetn services were privatized, and government revenues over the budget were returned to taxpayers.  Under Jennifer Granholm (gov. from 03-present), taxes have increased to their highest levels ever, unemployment is the highest in the nation, governemtn revenues are at historic lows, and more businesses are leaving MI than ever before.  Businesses have been desparately looking for help to locate in MI, but the gov refuses to help.

Remember that private industry, not governmetn, determines the wealth of the people.  If the government gets in the way of personal property and private industry, the wealth of the people necessarily suffers.

BorderPatrol

Quote from: NWASooner on June 02, 2009, 06:55:21 pm
Something like 1/3 of people in the Delta region don't have a high school diploma.

Pretty strong statement, you got any facts to back that up? Or just hear say?

bp