Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Buffs didn't beat out the Hogs for the SF/SG recruit...

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, April 29, 2009, 11:52:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ham Ham Pigelow

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on April 29, 2009, 02:58:24 pm
Translated "I didn't want to have to sit around & wait for 3 more weeks just to see if a scholarship opened up at Arkansas."
You can't be serious. We got beat out by Colorado.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 29, 2009, 09:02:39 pm
Depth, versatility, & size for his position? The guy only had two years to play.
Funny how no one else in the SEC wanted him for his depth, versatility and size for his position.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on April 29, 2009, 09:50:21 pm
Funny how no one else in the SEC wanted him for his depth, versatility and size for his position.

The same can be said for a lot of kids taken by other SEC schools.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on April 29, 2009, 09:50:21 pm

Nobody has a roster of 13 guys that are 4*'s or better. 

Corkscrew Johnson

Well, given these developments, I hope we don't waste our 13th scholarship on any ole freshmen that will loiter on the roster for 4 years.  I would honestly rather just have 12 players and hopefully land some talent for 2010.  I wasn't enthralled by Johnson or Relphorde but they would at least help balance the classes

ruarealhogfan

Im not sure what the plan is, but I do know we need to have at least 2 open schollies for 2010 & 4 for 2011.

athunt

I hope some of these guys dont turn out to be Clark and Moore but just 2 years older.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

HogBreath

Quote from: athunt on April 29, 2009, 10:19:20 pm
I hope some of these guys dont turn out to be Clark and Moore but just 2 years older.
The new guys will actually contribute to the "we're so young' excuse, if we had hung onto Moore & Clark, they would have hurt the argument, since it woulda been their 2nd season here.  So ..mission accomplished.  WPS!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hogbody

Not sure we will even have any more room after the APR hits.

stronguard

If you don't know, now you know.

Chief Idiot of the Tavern

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

Pork Twain

April 29, 2009, 11:53:22 pm #60 Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 12:00:43 am by BeoPig™
Quote from: 3kgthog on April 29, 2009, 01:19:56 pm
Which begs the question, was he in class the previous days? I almost wish we had host parents like they do at the Air Force Academy. Having seen the practice in person I can say it keeps kids focused and gives them a real home away from home. Lord knows we've had players that could've used an outside party instead of a coach to get through their issues.
I would say that the structure of the Air Force Academy is a little better than your average college.

The bottom of this article shows what Pel is thinking.
http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/258408
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

chiefsfan

Quote from: heathtits on April 29, 2009, 03:58:17 pm
You know I've refrained from opinions as of late and I will continue to do so. I wasn't evaluating the result or effect of losing him, just saying he was heavily interested, visited, and then went AWOL.

Again, I'm not talking about the coaches here either.

While everyone on here seems to love Fayetville.   its nothing particularly exciting for a basketball recruit.   Especially one from the inner city.   

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

chiefsfan

Quote from: Tomhog™ on April 29, 2009, 08:29:37 pm
So if Ron doesn't think he is high major quality, why was Pel and staff pursuing him?

because Ron Crawford is an idiot
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

lovetailgatin

All good answers so far, but I think that we are missing ONE. If we got beat out by Col then it had to be that OSTROM was in charge of his recruting.

Pork Twain

Quote from: HogBreath on April 29, 2009, 11:10:36 pm
The new guys will actually contribute to the "we're so young' excuse, if we had hung onto Moore & Clark, they would have hurt the argument, since it woulda been their 2nd season here.  So ..mission accomplished.  WPS!
I am sure all of these moves are being made just for you
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Hogeyeblind

Quote from: Tomhog™ on April 29, 2009, 08:29:37 pm
So if Ron doesn't think he is high major quality, why was Pel and staff pursuing him?

Maybe "the coach" thinks this staff's evaluation skills are suspect? 

Although I dont know why anyone would think that, I mean look at some of the players they have signed ....Patsatia, McDonald, Payne, Andre Clark, Brandon Moore.........

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hogeyeblind on April 30, 2009, 06:43:13 am
Maybe "the coach" thinks this staff's evaluation skills are suspect? 

Although I dont know why anyone would think that, I mean look at some of the players they have signed ....Patsatia, McDonald, Payne, Andre Clark, Brandon Moore.........
I guess that ranking those guys that hgih caught a lot of people of guard. 

Kevin Bacon

Quote from: Hogeyeblind on April 29, 2009, 06:22:50 pm
Pork - did you hear "the coach" Ron Crawford say on DTS today that it was a blessing that Relphorde is not coming here and when pressed by Rick and Randy he said "because he can't play"

Is this the same Ron Crawford that just a week or two ago was singing the praises of Relphorde as a big man with a three and D???  Remind me to take him with a grain of salt.

BigSexyHog

I will take Coach Pel vs Crawford.  Can't believe he is still around.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Kevin

talent wise pasta was a mistake.

the other players are talented.  2 didn't get it done. moore & clark should have shown more patience and continued to work.

most players today are impatient.

recruiting talent is not the problem, taking chances on character might be.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

The Realist

"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

The Hogfather

cardinalhawg

I was hoping that the Hogs could sign Relphorde.  He appeared to have a good looking shot and release in the video that I watched of him.  I do not know anything about his personality, but after Jason Henry's antics this past season, I was looking at Relphorde as a replacement for Henry.  Henry might have more natural talent, but I would take a little drop off from Henry's talent, if it meant getting a good player, who played more within the team concept.  Alas, I hope Henry is different in a good way for next season.

Arkansas won its biggest games this past season with a player like Marcus Monk being a factor instead of Jason Henry.  If Henry has the right focus, then he will be an asset.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Kevin on April 30, 2009, 08:23:47 am

the other players are talented.  2 didn't get it done. moore & clark should have shown more patience and continued to work.

Perhaps it wasn't their decision.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

aloha_kid

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 29, 2009, 12:48:05 pm
FWIW, Jason Henry was in class today.

Hehehe did you ever watch Chris Rock "Bring the Pain"?

"I take care of my kids." You're supposed to, you dumb (%)@&(*&^$(! What kind of ignorant $h!t is that? "I ain't never been to jail!" What do you want, a cookie?! You're not supposed to go to jail, you low-expectation-having #$#$#!$#$#%^$^@!"

When I heard "Jason Henry was in class today" I thought of the Chris Rock bit.

mhuff

I have been out of pocket for about three weeks. Sounds like alot has happened. Unless Powell and other signees are eligible, we don't have anyone once again that can score. Somebody please respond and convince me that we are going to be better off in that department. Also this new center/PF does not have stats that point in that direction. Thanks

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mhuff on May 01, 2009, 01:51:20 pm
I have been out of pocket for about three weeks. Sounds like alot has happened. Unless Powell and other signees are eligible, we don't have anyone once again that can score. Somebody please respond and convince me that we are going to be better off in that department. Also this new center/PF does not have stats that point in that direction. Thanks

Washington, Fortson, Rotnei, Henry, & Welsh...all can score 10+ points per game on any given night.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 01, 2009, 03:02:59 pm
Washington, Fortson, Rotnei, Henry, & Welsh...all can score 10+ points per game on any given night.

4 out of those 5 averaged 11+ ppg over an entire season.  I am willing to wage that if Henry had played more (not suggesting that he deserved to) he would have made 5 out of 5 averaging 10 or more.  It's possible that Powell & Farmer could join those 5 as well...

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

JackJohnson

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 29, 2009, 11:52:05 am
You guys are so quick to be negative...just Think for a second how a recruit goes from a Arkansas lean all but committed to Colorado?  

It should be pretty easy to figure out their must be some good news concerning (academic's) a former Blue-Devil.  

So i guess the signing of Peterson means we really did lose a recruit to the Buffs??  :puke:

Porkatarian

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 29, 2009, 11:52:05 am
You guys are so quick to be negative...just Think for a second how a recruit goes from a Arkansas lean all but committed to Colorado?  

It should be pretty easy to figure out their must be some good news concerning (academic's) a former Blue-Devil.  

Since we just landed another commitment since this post, it's same to assume that your reasoning is flawed.  Especially when you consider that we're possibly going to have 1 or 2 more roster changes when it's all said and done.

We haven't lost a scholarship yet b/c of the APR, but if certain players were to leave the team right now, we would b/c they are is such poor academic standing. 

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

THE PROBLEM:::::  If the above 5 started and all hit their average of 11 or so that means we would likely score 60 or so for the game and not win.  That sort of sums up last years problem.  No depth and no star power.  Unless you got a couple of 20 point plus players to mix in with the 10 point Guys, you usually lose.  henry getting his head straight means more to Henry than our team.  The man can play at a higher level if he corrects his attitude.  He is screwing up millions of dollars of talent because he acts like an idiot.  Clark and Moore were likely welcomed to leave and except for the balance of the overall team, we may wish they had stayed.  I think both can actually play a bit.  Clark might be a stud by year 3 and maybe Moore too.

Pork Twain

Quote from: JackJohnson on May 09, 2009, 10:08:09 am
So i guess the signing of Peterson means we really did lose a recruit to the Buffs??  :puke:
Could be that this guy will get an academic scholarship for this year and be on a basketball scholarship next year.

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: BeoPig™ on May 11, 2009, 03:26:06 am
Could be that this guy will get an academic scholarship for this year and be on a basketball scholarship next year.

Beo, could all of these academic issues be exactly what scared the s%$# out of Dana Altman??

He sees where his current group of seniors are standing academically, and knows he will not only be head coach but head academic babysitter for the next 2 years as well?

It is starting to make sense why he left after 1 night for half as much pay.

Pel taking this job has a storyline similar to the plot of that Dangerous Minds movie...

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on May 11, 2009, 11:55:13 am
Pel taking this job has a storyline similar to the plot of that Dangerous Minds movie...

this has legs....

from the poster

Pork Twain

Beo, could all of these academic issues be exactly what scared the s%$# out of Dana Altman??

He sees where his current group of seniors are standing academically, and knows he will not only be head coach but head academic babysitter for the next 2 years as well?

It is starting to make sense why he left after 1 night for half as much pay.

I don't think Dana was around long enough to know jack.

HoopS

I've been told before that he was around long enough to realize there were issues.   Perhaps he did see enough.   On the other hand, I've heard it had to do with being told he could staff things the way he wanted, only to have someone else block all of that.

The Hogfather

I'm so glad Dana was/IS such a meow.

gohawgsgo

It looks like that at least the many things that had to happen for us to have any chance to show improvement next season all have a chance to happen.  I think we have a chance to be much better next season.  However, 5-11 is much better than 2-14 and that isn't very good.

Pork Twain

Quote from: HoopS on May 15, 2009, 08:32:00 am
I've been told before that he was around long enough to realize there were issues.   Perhaps he did see enough.   On the other hand, I've heard it had to do with being told he could staff things the way he wanted, only to have someone else block all of that.
I would love to know how that would have been possible several years ago.  Especially since he was only on campus for like a day and he had nothing but seniors on his roster.  Dana was a coward and ran back to his little school.

HoopS

Of all those seniors, none have graduated still.   You don't think it possible he saw the progress, or lack thereof, and realized what that meant going forward?

ruarealhogfan

We are siting here with 14 players & 13 scholarships, imagine if Relphorde chose to "wait it out" & see if a spot opened up for him.  I still don't believe that Colorado beat us for this kid's services, as some stated in this thread, there were circumstances & #'s that pushed him to the Big 12...

stronguard

There was a concerted effort by several "connected" posters to remove JP as coach.  Some of the posters that I trusted the most showed their true colors when things were going rough for our basketball team.  I will not forget those who made false accusations about players leaving, about eligibility, and about lack of attention to recruits who were supposedly waiting at the airport.  It was sickening, and it still is.

"Woke" is a term made up by people who have appointed themselves as intellectually superior as a way to describe themselves in comparison with those whom they deem ignorant.

forrest city joe

Quote from: stronguard on June 26, 2009, 10:23:03 pm
There was a concerted effort by several "connected" posters to remove JP as coach.  Some of the posters that I trusted the most showed their true colors when things were going rough for our basketball team.  I will not forget those who made false accusations about players leaving, about eligibility, and about lack of attention to recruits who were supposedly waiting at the airport.  It was sickening, and it still is.
I for one dont care if you forgive me or not. this man went 2 and 15 in one of the worse confrence in the nation.he has proven nothing here. i stand by everthing i posted until he proves me wrong.and i dont see that happening.

ua_hogs

Quote from: forrest city joe on June 26, 2009, 11:27:06 pm
I for one dont care if you forgive me or not. this man went 2 and 15 in one of the worse confrence in the nation.he has proven nothing here. i stand by everthing i posted until he proves me wrong.and i dont see that happening.

Funny that you assume someone trusted your "knowledge" of the program, I doubt he was referring to you.  Also, forget and forgive are not the same thing, they are in a phrase together, but they don't mean the same thing.

Pork Twain

Who in their right mind would listen to any of your garbage and put any weight behind it.  I am pretty sure you can sleep soundly tonight knowing he was not talking about you.

stronguard

Thank you Beo and ua_hogs for setting our redident narcissist straight.

FCJ, you're an egomaniacal blowhard with access to an audio recording.  You haven't had anything relevant to say in YEARS.  And what you do say carries the weight of fly droppings to me.  I wasn't talking to or about you so GO AWAY.

Carl Lazlo

Wasn't FCJ in love with Pel after the Oklahoma/Tejas victories?

Tomhog™

FCJ did "love" Pel after those victories. But, as a fan with high expectations that were not met. He just happens to believe this program should be tops in the SEC, not the basement. Everyone has tempered their emotions over this and are ready to move on. Please let us all put this to rest or I will move this thread.