Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Merged: All Chizik to Auburn Threads

Started by iseeredpeople, December 13, 2008, 01:46:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

iseeredpeople

December 13, 2008, 01:46:14 pm Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 07:08:51 pm by Oklahawg
Really ? I mean wow....
I haven't heard this guy mentioned for ANY jobs. Much less a school like Auburn. Swing and a miss...

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=888957

the fix was in from the beginning.

EDIT: Mod merged multiple threads and relabeled the lead post.

Sow’sEar

Rivals.com says its a done deal.  He better be able to compete against God, er, i mean, Saban.

tkhog

He was their defensive coordinator in their undefeated season.

donewithdale

He's just a placeholder until Saban wins a championship, gets bored and leaves in a few seasons.

iseeredpeople

I am not doubting his ability as a d coordinator. He has been the architect of two of the best defenses in college football over the last few years. But his record at iowa state has been less than impressive. This hire is so out of the blue. I suspect that this was a done deal long ago and the "search" was window dressing.

Hawgon

Auburn has hit rock bottom.  Chizik has won 5 games in the last two years and currently has the 76th ranked recruiting class in the country at Iowa State, and that is with 16 committments.

He may turn out to be a great coach at Auburn but just the fact that Auburn would take a guy with a 5-19 record over the last two years speaks volumes.

songofthesword

let me get this straight.

Auburn fires a coach that went undefeated not too long ago.

they had on their staff the future head coach for texas, the feature head coach for the atlanta falcons and an orange bowl winner, and they hire freaking Gene chizik?

could not happen to a more deserving team

Zen_Hog

He's a solid coach. But I guess we can put a W by auburns name next year.

selfexplanatory

Auburn got rid of Tuberville for Gene Chizik?  I thought Jay Jacobs said money wouldn't be an issue in finding a coach?  Only time will tell, but this looks like a bad hire.
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

Torqued pork

As unwatchable as Auburn's offense was I was expecting them to go after an offensive guy.

Hopefully Chizik can at least recruit in-state well enough to weaken the Tide a bit.

newera

Well, there defense will stay solid, but he better find himself an awesome offense coordinator or they will continue down this steep slope.
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

iseeredpeople

December 13, 2008, 02:04:32 pm #11 Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:17:44 pm by iseeredpeople
Just for fun if you want to see what a meltdown (of the non financial variety) looks like:

http://auburn.rivals.com/forum.asp?sid=884&fid=423

seriously, just go peek. it will make your day. if you really want to piss them off post a congratulatory message on their new hire.

rljjr

I thought Gary Patterson was a better option for them, but it's their program.

songofthesword

god himself could not save auburn from the raping that bama will do to them the next 10 years

3kgthog

Auburn and the UA could probably write a pretty helpful hiring instructional manual. AU could do football and we could do basketball. Think of the money that could potentially be made.

Dwight_K_Shrute

This is a prime example why there are claims of racism even when it is not overt.

Look at it on paper.  You have two candidates.  One was a good coordinator, but in his one job as a HC in the weaker division of a BCS conference he took a team that went 7-5 and 4-8 the previous two season and has gone 3-9 then 2-10,  And that was without having to play the top 3 teams in the other division.  He has never beaten an FBS school with a winning record.

The other candidate went to a football graveyard (8 wins in the past 5 years) where the team was 1-10 before he arrived.  He went 2-10, 5-7 with a 5-3 conf record named conf coach of the year.  8-5 this year and in the biggest game of the year, his career, he beat the top team in the conference that was undefeated and nationally ranked.  So he improved the team each year and achieved things that had never ever been achieved at that school.

I don't believe if Chizik is hired over Gill, that it is racially motivated.  It's just plain stupid, but it does lend itself to the belief that their is racism in the process.  What it really says to me is that Lowder or whoever is in charge at Auburn wanted a coach they could control.

Some may have thought that the firing/resignation was a low for Auburn football.  I say it's the hiring of Gene Chizik.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

songofthesword

what gets me about gill is not even they didnt' hire him. it's that they didn't tell him they weren't intersted so he oculd take the syracuse job., it was his to take

Hawgon

This is all a ploy to make the Auburn faithful positively giddy when Col. Pimp Limp steps up to the podium to be announced as Auburn's new coach.  After this scare, he'll look like Bear Bryant.

HamShank

Quote from: Bubbaswinestein on December 13, 2008, 02:00:51 pm
As unwatchable as Auburn's offense was I was expecting them to go after an offensive guy.

Hopefully Chizik can at least recruit in-state well enough to weaken the Tide a bit.

That's the only reason I hoped they landed at least a decent coach, but wow.  This may be the worst hire I've ever seen by a major university (post-1998 UofA, that is).  No.  You know what?  I can't believe I'm saying it, but Nutt would've been a better hire.

Tusks

Chizik was their DC during their undefeated season...went to Texas and was DC during Texas undefeated season and win over USC.

So the guy can coach defense....I don't know anybody could do much at ISU.

He was a hotter coaching commodity after the Texas BCSC than Muschamp.

Good luck to them though.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

songofthesword

well, i'll give gene this. he was wil muschamp before wil muschamp was wil muschamp.

FACT:

teams he coached on went undefeated for 2 straight years. auburn then texas.

and let's put iowa in perspetive. it's freaking iowa. their recruits can't take a team that looks like 55 ronald mcdonalds seriously.

I don't think he's a horrible hire. but I don't think he's TT

songofthesword

Quote from: nutted on December 13, 2008, 02:17:42 pm
Chizik was their DC during their undefeated season...went to Texas and was DC during Texas undefeated season and win over USC.

So the guy can coach defense....I don't know anybody could do much at ISU.

He was a hotter coaching commodity after the Texas BCSC than Muschamp.

Good luck to them though.

lol, we just posted the exact same thing

iseeredpeople

Quote from: songofthesword on December 13, 2008, 02:18:08 pm
well, i'll give gene this. he was wil muschamp before wil muschamp was wil muschamp.

FACT:

and let's put iowa in perspetive. it's freaking iowa. their recruits can't take a team that looks like 55 ronald mcdonalds seriously.

except the previous coach went to 5 straight bowl games before he himself went 4-8 and got "tubbervilled"

Hawgon

Quote from: songofthesword on December 13, 2008, 02:18:39 pm
lol, we just posted the exact same thing

You guys are both wrong.  This is a terrible hire.  Tuberville took a probation gutted Ole Miss and turned it into a winner in three years.  Gill took probably the worst program in college football and won 7 games in his third year, showing improvement in the other two.

There are so many better choices out there.  This is cronyism at its worst.  This hire is reminiscent of our hiring of Nutt because of his Arkansas connections and for no other reason. 

jjfmetal11

Quote from: iseeredpeople on December 13, 2008, 02:04:32 pm
Just for fun if you want to see what a meltdown (of the non financial variety) looks like:

seriously, just go peek. it will make your day. if you really want to piss them off post a congratulatory message on their new hire.

LMFAO!!!!!!!! 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: songofthesword on December 13, 2008, 02:18:08 pm

FACT:

Fact this is about being a HC not a coordinator.

Fact:  2 years before he got to Iowa State they were 11-13.  In his two years they are 5-19.

Fact:  He ended his season on a 10 game losing streak.

Fact:  Some guys are great coordinators but suck as HCs.

Fact:  The best predictor of future success when hiring is past performance.

This isn't a terrible hire.  They need to invent a new word that is 100x's worse than terrible.

Maybe in the not too distant future Websters will have a new word.

chizik:  a decision or event so monumentally terrible that no other word in the English language could be used to describe it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

songofthesword

I just chizik!

seriously,  10 year contract at $3.2M a year, $5M signing bonus, and buyout that is larger than CTT

NWASooner

Did Bama offer to pay the salary if they hired Chizik?

Seriously, they just hired a guy with a 5-19 record.  They fired Tuberville in order to do that?  MAJOR, MAJOR downgrade.

QuoteThis is a prime example why there are claims of racism even when it is not overt.

Exactly.  While I don't think race was the prime motivator here, I find it hard to believe they honestly thought Chizik was more qualified than either Turner Gill or Charlie Strong.

I'll be the entire Auburn fanbase is wanting to jump off a cliff and slit their throats on the way down.

Tusks

I wasn't saying it was a great or even decent hire....I don't care.

I was just pointing out that Chizik has some experience in contributing greatly to championship teams.

I really could care less.

If it were me I would hire Turner Gill and he'd already be on the recruiting trail....but they don't ask or pay me.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tejano Jawg

So, Dwight, what do you REALLY think?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Dwight_K_Shrute

Here is the link to their free scout board.

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=6&f=1010

It's not even funny just plain sad.  Bama will be an uber power and we will all suffer.

rljjr

Quote from: songofthesword on December 13, 2008, 02:34:41 pm
I just chizik!

seriously,  10 year contract at $3.2M a year, $5M signing bonus, and buyout that is larger than CTT

Are you serious on the terms? THAT is insane!!! How do you pay a guy that much who has proven to be an awful head coach? Look at his two years at ISU -- 5 and 19! Really? If that's a fcatual statement then Tigger has gone off the reservation. I don't care if it's hard to recruit or whatever rationalization they have for being terrible. Like Dwight said, the guy they had before that wasn't as bad as Chizik has been.

He may work out in the future, but he isn't worth the money right now.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: iseeredpeople on December 13, 2008, 02:04:32 pm

Indeed, things seem quite spirited over at the Auburn message boards!
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

songofthesword

yep.

imagine you are GC. you are about to get axed at iowa state. you get a call from auburn. hey man  you want a job? sure. okay, we will pay you 5 million to come here and 30 mil over the next 10 years and a fat buyout to coach us...

OKAY!

okay he's a horrible hire. look at this

http://iowastate.rivals.com/commitlist.asp

this makes nutt look like Steve Blake.

HoopS

In fairness to Chizik, what did he inherit at ISU?  I know his wins and loses look terrible, but stop and think about what we've witnessed here and at OM.

CORZRBACKFAN

If this really happens, Auburn dropped the ball big time. Saban will own them if Chizik goes there, and Auburn will sink to levels on par with MSU. This hire would make absolutely no sense. I work with an ISU alum that actually wants the man fired! ISU isn't even a real football program-they're gonna roast this guy in Alabama!
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: songofthesword on December 13, 2008, 02:42:27 pm
yep.

imagine you are GC. you are about to get axed at iowa state. you get a call from auburn. hey man  you want a job? sure. okay, we will pay you 5 million to come here and 30 mil over the next 10 years and a fat buyout to coach us...

OKAY!

okay he's a horrible hire. look at this

http://iowastate.rivals.com/commitlist.asp

this makes nutt look like Steve Blake.

Now that's some funny Chizik.  Then again it is Iowa St.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

rljjr

OK, so I'm a 4-star athlete and I was committed to Auburn under TT. He gets canned and I've been waiting around to see who they hire. Do I stay with Aubbie under Chizik -- a proven sub .500 HC? I think not. Auburn would have been better off going with an unproven, up and coming assistant. After a few minutes of knee-jerk reflection I have to say this is a terrible day for the Tigers and SEC ... but if that's what JJ wants then I'm happy to take the W every year. GO HOGS!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Can you imagine the Iowa St. AD?  Probably had a hard time keeping a straight face when Aub AD called and asked for permission.  I can see him drinking a coke or coffee at his desk and then doing a spit take and thinking "Are you freaking serious, hey I better act like we want to keep him to make them more interested"  "Err well I don't know he's doing such a great job here.  Well I've never been one to hold a coach back, I guess you can talk to him."

Then his call to their Prez.

ISU AD:  "You are not going to believe this Auburn wants to interview Chizik?"
ISU Prez:  "Yeah, yeah sure, very funny"
ISU AD:  "No, I'm serious and I think they want him"
ISU Prez:  "Well act like we really like what his doing here"
ISU AD:  "I did and they took the bait"
ISU Prez:  "Hot damn we must be living right to have this taken care of for us.  Maybe they really do marry their cousins down there"
ISU AD:  "Now we can go after a real coach.  There are alot of proven HC's out there wanting a step up"
ISU Prez:  "Call Gill, I'm sure he's ready to prove Auburn and Nebraska wrong"
ISU AD:  "Will do right after Jethro takes Chizik off our hands"

WMHawgfan

Wow we have made it 37 posts in this thread and nobody has asked if Chizik may possibly bring Gus onboard as his OC. I am amazed. Is everyone asleep today? Surely there needs to be 20 or 30 threads about who his OC is going to be.

songofthesword

Quote from: rlh06 on December 13, 2008, 02:48:43 pm
Now that's some funny Chizik.  Then again it is Iowa St.

I can see it now

"coach shiznat"

"dammit boy! It's chizik!"

Hawgon

Iowa AD does his impersonation of Brerr Rabit,  "No, no Massa Jacob...Pleeeeeez don take ma foozball coach."

Torqued pork

The AU presser to announce Chizik as their next head coach will prollie go something like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CjWbemTNcw

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: WMHawgfan on December 13, 2008, 02:56:05 pm
Wow we have made it 37 posts in this thread and nobody has asked if Chizik may possibly bring Gus onboard as his OC. I am amazed. Is everyone asleep today? Surely there needs to be 20 or 30 threads about who his OC is going to be.

I think they will go the same route they did with their HC search and go in the opposite direction.  I'm thinking Willie McCorvey.

Demaghog

I think Dooley would have been a much better choice than this guy.  This is a big mistake.

Just another good coordinator who can't cut it at head coaching.

songofthesword

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on December 13, 2008, 02:58:58 pm
I think they will go the same route they did with their HC search and go in the opposite direction.  I'm thinking Willie McCorvey.

why stive for being mediacore when you be pathetic?

David Lee

Boardon Hamsay

Nah, no Gus at Auburn.  I wonder if Chizik is friends with Tony Franklin?  ;D

dr_arkansawyer

Goo.  What an epic failure.  This guy is 5-19 in two years at Iowa State.  He went 0-8 in conference this year.  AU is gonna really regret firing, er Tubby resigning. 
We need the iron qualities that go with true manhood. We need the positive virtues of resolution, of courage, of indomitable will, of power to do without shrinking the rough work that must always be done.

Theodore Roosevelt
1858-1919, Twenty-sixth President of the USA

hog_fan

Your a loser who is now pissed no one brought it up

NWASooner

For what it's worth, Iowa State started our 2-0 last season with bold wins against South Dakota State and Kent State.  They finished the season with 10 straight losses.

Good luck with that Tigers, Plainsman, War Eagles, or whatever you call yourselves this week.