Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gators coach says he still has eyes on Irish job

Started by fu-man-soo, December 11, 2008, 04:28:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

fu-man-soo

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20081211/COLUMNISTS0306/81211019/1065/SPORTS

Meyer: "Well, Florida was already in the 11th hour (of negotiations). We'd met twice with (UF athletic director) Jeremy Foley, and my wife . . . we, were very drawn to Florida. Notre Dame is still my dream job. That hasn't changed.

KENDALLF

My sports world is finally looking up. The Hogs are back, my Texans are improving, and if only the Rangers would get some dang pitching!

TrojanHog

Either that is a long range plan to get a raise from Florida or Meyer is a bit of a dummy.  Florida fans are not going to like the sound of that. 

farmhawg

Quote from: TrojanHog on December 11, 2008, 04:37:29 pm
Either that is a long range plan to get a raise from Florida or Meyer is a bit of a dummy.  Florida fans are not going to like the sound of that. 

I don't think they will care as long as he wins.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

songofthesword

meyer could come to the next press conference decked out in FSU gear, with tomohawk chop as his ringtone, and he'd still be adored as the florida coach

fu-man-soo

Quote from: TrojanHog on December 11, 2008, 04:37:29 pm

he is going for his 2nd title, he has them by the short and curlies

MacHog19

"Notre Dame is still my dream job," says Meyer as he puts down his copy of "The Prince" by Machiavelli.  Urban is just borrowing a page out of the Jimmy Sexton playbook for keeping your current bosses on the ropes about your future with veiled references to other colleges that want you or you're interested in.

Sure Urban may want to coach there, but IMO his comments are untimely and inappropriate.  If I was a major Gator contributor, I would be way P.O.'ed at that comment!

3kgthog

It just proves that Urban Meyer really is an idiot. Notre Dame is so far away from being even close to the program that Florida is. He would be a complete buffoon (like Spurrier was) for leaving that place.

El Puerco

Boy, I bet Florida fans are LOVING the sound of that.

Arkapigdiesel

Today's kids want to play in warm weather and look at scantily clad females on the beach, not live in a winter wonderland (South Bend).  Notre lame will NEVER be what they were.  Never.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

jdevers

Notre Dame is virtually always in the top ten recruiting, even with their complete lack of recent success they still pull in recruits from the whole country.  Not saying they are better than Florida, but to say that recruits don't want to play there is kind of goofy.

NWASooner

I'd laugh if Florida called his bluff and said if that's his dream job, then he should take it.

No one seriously thinks he's telling the truth here.  He could have had Notre Dame earlier had he wanted it.  He's just trying to shake more cash out of Florida.  He's looking for Saban level money.

HawgFan26

Quote from: MacHog19 on December 11, 2008, 04:56:17 pm
"Notre Dame is still my dream job," says Meyer as he puts down his copy of "The Prince" by Machiavelli.  Urban is just borrowing a page out of the Jimmy Sexton playbook for keeping your current bosses on the ropes about your future with veiled references to other colleges that want you or you're interested in.

What is he doing reading Machiavelli?  Now I really don't like Urban Meyer.

oldbear

IMO that is just dumb to say. I don't care if you feel that way. Some people need an extra filter between their brains and their mouths.

arklahoman36

If ND shows the cajones to hire a coach that changes the style of O, they'll get even better recruits.
I don't buy the smokescreen that ND can't get recruits because of academic standards being too high.
If you look at who they offer, and who else has offered the same prospects, they're competing with USC, OU, Florida, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, aTm, etc.
Those schools are suppose to be getting players ND can't because of academics, but ND is offering many of the same players.

SpareRib

December 11, 2008, 06:53:44 pm #15 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:55:17 pm by SpareRib
Quote from: fu-man-soo on December 11, 2008, 04:28:55 pm
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20081211/COLUMNISTS0306/81211019/1065/SPORTS

Meyer: "Well, Florida was already in the 11th hour (of negotiations). We'd met twice with (UF athletic director) Jeremy Foley, and my wife . . . we, were very drawn to Florida. Notre Dame is still my dream job. That hasn't changed.

That's really strange.  On the surface, it's so ill advised.  The only two reasons I can think of for his doing it are to either advertise his availability to the Irish or to gouge Florida for more money.  Either way - not much class.

(edit:  Come to think of it, if he wanted to chase Notre Dame, he could have his agent do that, so that only leaves one, doesn't it?)
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

El Puerco

Saying another school is your dream job is not the way to shake cash out of your program.  That's wacky.  You might as well sodomize the Gator mascot at mid-field.  The way to do it is to have your slimeball agent float your name for vacancies.

iseeredpeople

Quote from: Arkapigdiesel on December 11, 2008, 05:49:39 pm
Today's kids want to play in warm weather and look at scantily clad females on the beach, not live in a winter wonderland (South Bend).  Notre lame will NEVER be what they were.  Never.

so do today's adults.

AnthroHog

Well, since Notre Dame is going to dump Weiss more than likely after next season, I'm sure that Urban will be the first coach they contact.

jmark

Meyers sounds a lot like the DORK.  Which helmet does he love? 

"Lovin' all these helmets just messes ya up, ...Chuck."
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

Kilgor

Quote from: fu-man-soo on December 11, 2008, 04:44:45 pm
he is going for his 2nd title, he has them by the short and curlies

Dear Lord,

Please let Bobby Petrino have us by the short curlies by winning a national title and then playing for another 2 years later.

Thanks,

Kilgor
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

farmhawg

Quote from: Kilgor on December 11, 2008, 08:28:23 pm
Dear Lord,

Please let Bobby Petrino have us by the short curlies by winning a national title and then playing for another 2 years later.

Thanks,

Kilgor

Amen.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Beaverfever

How stupid.  Florida and SC are the two best jobs in the country, not ND.  I think he wants money.

Sivad

Urban Meyer at Notre Dame would be a scary thought.
For people who do not like Notre Dame football.

NWASooner

Florida is one of the states I keep reading about that are having money problems.  If they bend over and give him millions, expect some push back from Congress.

Kilgor

Quote from: NWASooner on December 11, 2008, 11:00:13 pm
Florida is one of the states I keep reading about that are having money problems.  If they bend over and give him millions, expect some push back from Congress.

Don't know how it works there, but in Arkansas anything over a relatively modest base pay comes from a private organization called the Razorback Foundation.  So $500,000 or $5,000,000 a year, the state pays the same (about $250,000 or so IIRC).

upperdeck_hawg

in about a month, he'll have 1 more national championship ring than saban or miles. he's just trying to get paid like those two.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

HogFaninMemphis

Yeah I think it was a dumb comment, but I think a good coach like Urban Meyer could do big things at Notre Dame in 3 years.
As some have already said before, Notre Dame brings in recruits easily, even though they're not very good right now.
If Weis has a bad year next year, I would not be at all surprised to see Urban Meyer donning the blue and gold in 2010.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

heathtits

Sure he will leave, why wouldn't he if he wins ANOTHER title at Florida this year. The grass is always greener on the other side, and I mean green.

It's NFL or Notre Dame for him. Think about it, with Tebow leaving either this year or next, and depending on their season next year, why wouldn't one think that it's likely for him to move around?

NWASooner

QuoteDon't know how it works there, but in Arkansas anything over a relatively modest base pay comes from a private organization called the Razorback Foundation.  So $500,000 or $5,000,000 a year, the state pays the same (about $250,000 or so IIRC).

Yes, and if I'm Joe Congressman I'd ask why they can't raise private money to help bail their state out.  If they can raise that much for a football coach, they could certainly be able to raise something for state government.

samurai

Ever been to gainsville its a SWANP not even close to the beach

WilsonHog

Urban Meyer is many things. Dumb or stupid aren't among them.

I assure you he thought about that for awhile before saying it, and did so in a calculated move.

You know what it would mean for you to be Meyer right now? It means that every morning you could wake up, put your feet on the floor, and say, "Hmmmm.....where would I like to coach next? Who's next in line to pay me about $3 or 4 million a year to coach football?"

Talk about a great life.

OneLardAlmighty

I, for one, just became a BIG Charlie Weis and ND fan. 

If Urban Meyer goes to the Irish, well...let's just say that Bobby Petrino's offense would really hum with Florida talent.   

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

oldfart

Quote from: samurai on December 12, 2008, 07:22:28 am
Ever been to gainsville its a SWANP not even close to the beach
maybe not but there are plenty of scantily clad females on campus...

Pissed Pig

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 12, 2008, 07:31:34 am

I assure you he thought about that for awhile before saying it, and did so in a calculated move.

You know what it would mean for you to be Meyer right now? It means that every morning you could wake up, put your feet on the floor, and say, "Hmmmm.....where would I like to coach next? Who's next in line to pay me about $3 or 4 million a year to coach football?"

Talk about a great life.

Agreeance. He placed this comment for two reasons.  I am available for ND job, if you want me.  And "It's gonna cost somebody" Cause I want NFL type money - Five mil for five years.

Luke Duke

I'm already worried that we'll have a great season next year and the Florida job will open up.  Petrino will take it, Mallett will then leave early.

Man, I feel negative this morning.
I remember I caught tons of hell on this board for saying Peterson was faster than McFadden.  That's one reason I was looking forward to the combine.  If McFadden ran a legit 4.28, you bet he'd be there.

-NWASooner

Beaverfever

December 12, 2008, 09:06:22 am #37 Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:08:24 am by Beaverfever

Talk about a great life.
No it was stupid.  He didn't have to make a public comment while preparing for the national championship to get more money.  His money is coming.  He doesn't have to campaign for more money/job opportunities.  If he wanted, at the end of this season he could go anywhere he wanted and make Saban money.  This was an intentional, pre meditated threat against the university of florida.  It was unnecessary and sounds very greedy. 

HamShank

Quote from: SpareRib on December 11, 2008, 06:53:44 pm
That's really strange.  On the surface, it's so ill advised.  The only two reasons I can think of for his doing it are to either advertise his availability to the Irish or to gouge Florida for more money.  Either way - not much class.

(edit:  Come to think of it, if he wanted to chase Notre Dame, he could have his agent do that, so that only leaves one, doesn't it?)

Class?  I will give anyone on this board $1,000,000 if they can provide me with video or published evidence of Urban Meyer EVER showing class.  It's like evidence of Whoopi Goldberg ever being funny.  It's not out there.

AckaBacka

Quote from: OneLardAlmighty on December 12, 2008, 08:26:27 am
I, for one, just became a BIG Charlie Weis and ND fan. 

If Urban Meyer goes to the Irish, well...let's just say that Bobby Petrino's offense would really hum with Florida talent.  
I'd prefer that he would just recruit all that talent up here rather than leave himself, but...

elksnort

Meyer maybe "greedy", but he's not "stupid".

Notre Dame might not have as much talent as some think. The recruiting agencies may bump the stars up on a player knowing that the player is going to ND.

If he wins the NC next month, then what else is there for him at UF? Maybe he feels he can not top it, along with losing Saint Timothy, the next several years might not be as prolific.

Meyer is a Catholic (at least in culture, I think) and he's from Ohio. This usually = loving ND. He would be a hero to go to ND and win big.

Remember, the last 25-30 years, ND can not touch Florida's football program, but prior to this is just the opposite.

Justifiable Hogicide

No doubt about it, Urban Meyer and Notre Dame would be a monster.
The only thing holding ND back would be their significantly higher admission and college course requirement standards.

kingofdequeen

Urban Meyer is EXACTLY the kind of coach that can win at N.Dame.

w/ his offense, if he gets a qb that can run a 4.7, he can go 8-10 wins a season on that schedule in his sleep.

UM at ND would be scary to the big 10 and service academies.

he'd get his ass handed to him in bowl game by SEC...such is life

want2be

Quote from: elksnort on December 12, 2008, 09:31:57 am
Meyer maybe "greedy", but he's not "stupid".

Notre Dame might not have as much talent as some think. The recruiting agencies may bump the stars up on a player knowing that the player is going to ND.

If he wins the NC next month, then what else is there for him at UF? Maybe he feels he can not top it, along with losing Saint Timothy, the next several years might not be as prolific.

Meyer is a Catholic (at least in culture, I think) and he's from Ohio. This usually = loving ND. He would be a hero to go to ND and win big.

Remember, the last 25-30 years, ND can not touch Florida's football program, but prior to this is just the opposite.

Urban is a legend in his own mind..........Florida's media guide last year had more info on him BY FAR than any other school in the country.......He is setting the stage for more money and ND would probably pay 4-5 million to get him........I was hoping that Florida beats Okla in the NC game........NOW, I hope the Sooners stomp Urban's ego. (and I am a Florida grad)

Hoggish1

I wouldn't be so sure of that.  If Notre Lame's holy fathers decided they wanted to pay Meyer more than any other coach and then decided they wanted to relax their academic requirements, which wouldn't hurt their academic standing and legacy in the least, they could get Meyer, I believe they could return to their former greatness and do it rather quickly. 

Hoggish1

Talk about a great life.

It is a great life and the way things are going in college football he could coach at ND in 2010 and be the highest paid coach to start out and each year therafter with a clause that says so.

In reading the article it appears he's saying my kids are soon not to be an issue any more. 

I think he wins his 2nd ring in three years.  Then what, his 3rd in 4?

If he could bring a cutting edge offense to ND and actually do something with all those top 10 classes, like Weis is not, he might rule the college football world.  It's not like he isn't doing it already (until Petrino gets it cranked up).

hogsndawgs

Quote from: Beaverfever on December 11, 2008, 10:25:09 pm
How stupid.  Florida and SC are the two best jobs in the country, not ND.  I think he wants money.

Florida and SC the two best? UF fell off between Spurrier and Meyer; USC was about a .500 team for the 5 or 6 years before Carroll got there. They're among the best, but I wouldn't put them above Alabama, Texas, Michigan, or Notre Dame. I think those 6 jobs are pretty much equal with eachother. If ND would hire a new coach they could see immediate success. They're loaded with top recruits. If Meyer or any other top tier coach were to take over in South Bend I think they'd see immediate success similar to the situation when Meyer got to UF.

JoyDivision

Too bad Petrino doesn't have a clause that keeps him from sec-e schools :-/

iseeredpeople

ND has top rated classes, whether they are any good or not remains to be seen. They are not even a little bit tough. They may have some talent on offense, but it looks to me like that staff was chasing stars and not talent.  Letting Clausen roll up in that Hummer was the first big mistake. I think any team in the SEC could take ND to the woodshed on any given day.

Kilgor

Quote from: NWASooner on December 12, 2008, 07:08:18 am
Yes, and if I'm Joe Congressman I'd ask why they can't raise private money to help bail their state out.  If they can raise that much for a football coach, they could certainly be able to raise something for state government.

If private citizens decide to spend their money on a football coach, you need to STFU and mind your own business.  The state needs to cut it's budget and quit wasting so much of OUR money.