Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Heisman has officially become a joke

Started by GabeMartini, December 10, 2008, 09:58:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawgndaaz

I noticed something pretty rediculous last week during the SEC Champ game.

When Florida got the ball after the first change of possession, a tv timeout was called.. The network played a clip of Tebow and in big bold letters across the screen it read something like:

COMING UP, TIM TEBOW!

Not that I needed any more convincing of the sports media's agenda with Tebow, but come on.. what would be wrong with,
"Coming up, Florida's offense takes the field"

That game was all about  Alabama Vs Tebow, with very little credit given to anyone else on their squad.

Phenomenal One

When Tebow made that speech after the Ole Miss game, he became ESPN and the entire media's golden boy

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PIGINAPOKE

Quote from: Hawgndaaz on December 11, 2008, 02:52:09 pm
I noticed something pretty rediculous last week during the SEC Champ game.

When Florida got the ball after the first change of possession, a tv timeout was called.. The network played a clip of Tebow and in big bold letters across the screen it read something like:

COMING UP, TIM TEBOW!

Not that I needed any more convincing of the sports media's agenda with Tebow, but come on.. what would be wrong with,
"Coming up, Florida's offense takes the field"

That game was all about  Alabama Vs Tebow, with very little credit given to anyone else on their squad.
Tebow drinks Bailys from a shoe.
The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

Eddie Piggard

Tebow is the second coming of Jesus and Archie Griffin!!!

;)
Pray for Obama. Psalms 109:8

GBPackerFan

Quote from: rude1 on December 10, 2008, 10:41:32 pm
Funny how they are changing the rules. When it was Tebow who had the numbers last year and Mcfadden was clearly the best player, it was "you can't ignore the numbers Tebow is putting up". Now that Tebow doesn't have the greatest numbers it's suddenly become about "who is the best player, and leader." The award is meaningless and nothing more than a popularity contest.

Bingo Bango!  Exactly what I was thinking!

KENDALLF

The Heisman has become just like the NBA MVP award its the best player on the best team
My sports world is finally looking up. The Hogs are back, my Texans are improving, and if only the Rangers would get some dang pitching!

PAHawg

The Heisman lost credibility with me a long time ago.  They started picking these QB's with big numbers when the fact is they were surrounded by All American's.  Graham Harrell did more with less.  He should be there along with Michael Crabtree.  I believe Crabtree is the best player hands down.

rizzohoghead

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: solix on December 11, 2008, 10:55:36 am
a system qb is meant to be that you could take a person every year and replace the qb and it would be the same.  if tebow leaves, you can't just throw another guy in and have the same offense.  texas tech, you can, thus a sytem qb

Uh, no. You don't think the Texas Tech coaches have a system in place for their incoming QBs to learn every day they're on the team? You think they tell'm to get on out there and make it happen without precise preperation and coaching?

You think Tebow could step in right now at Texas Tech and put up Harrell-like passing numbers just as easily?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

nwa_razorback_coffee

Don't be so cynical about something so sacred. This is a prestigious award and your charge that money is involved in the selection process is baseless and unfair. You should think more of your fellow man.

I will be back later. I am logging onto Ebay to bid on a new GPS, a camera for my son, and a seat in the U.S. Senate

Rzback

Heisman ain't what it used to be, it's become too political now.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

SteveInArk

Quote from: Mlzhn on December 12, 2008, 05:43:16 am
Heisman ain't what it used to be, it's become too political now.

Too much of anything is bad for you.  24/7 sports by ESPN resulted in big money for them and the advertisers.  It had resulted in too much power and influence.  Political is indeed the word.

We now have a Heisman Trophy selection process that is tainted, at best.  (i.e., voting not based on the principles envisioned for the award.)  I wouldn't go so far as suggesting corrupt, but I sure wouldn't rule that out.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

hoggystyle78

The fact that Harrell didn't even get an invite to NYC for the ceremony is just beyond rediculous. The heisman is a joke, it's a poularity contest now. The best player doesn't win the heisman anymore, just the best players on the "glamour" teams, Fla, Tex, USC etc. That's why I quit watching it on TV after Peyton manning got passed over for Woodson, With the exception of the last 2 years when DMAC went to NYC only to be robbed.

MountieDawg

There are no rules.... There are voters, they vote and and the count the votes and there is a winner...  Was the Maxwell Trophy wrong, was the Remington Trophy wrong last year....  All awards are subjective, even the National Championship until there is a playoff... Everyone gets an opinion and if you had won the Heisman, you would get a vote!!!! 
SEC!

Quote from: ScottFaldon on December 11, 2008, 08:29:47 am
Must be December, because the "Heisman is a joke" posts are happening with regularity.

I suspect if message boards had been around in 1935, people who thought Army's Monk Meyer should have won would have been saying the same thing when Jay Berwanger got the first statue.
Monk Meyer was robbed!

Kenny Dowell Loggains

The validity of the Heisman has become a total sham with all the media coverage.  ESPN may not claim that they have any type of "influence" over the voting... but they pretty much decide who the winner is going to be.  It really sucks that Harell was not invited, but hey, T Tech is not as "Sexy" of a school as FL, TX, or OU... so that is the harsh reality of what the Heisman has become.

MountieDawg

Maybe for all of you that complain about ESPN should quit watching the channel!  The only reason they have 86 channels is because you keep tuning in to all their stuff!  But they do get paid for their opinions and they make good money...  They probably have more access to all that goes on with the players, they get to watch all the practices, set down and talk to the coaches....  Believe it or not, they know more about what goes on than you... 
SEC!

HamHands

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 10, 2008, 11:01:46 pm
Y'all are joking me with all of this outrage, right?

Hey, I'm a cynic. Always have been, so I'll go ahead and tell it like it is.

College football isn't the same game it was 20 or 30 years ago. What used to be games have now become a series of media events fueled by an obscene river of money. Did you know at one time the winner of the Heisman Trophy received a telephone call informing him of the news? Now the finalists get an hour-long show in prime time on a television network devoted exclusively to sports.

Given the current nature of the business, the Heisman Trophy has become as much about which player would put the best face on college football as anything else. Tim Tebow is a marketing guy's dream, followed closely perhaps by Colt McCoy. But a guy named Graham Harrell from Lubbock, Texas? Please. Who wants to buy that? No sparkle in that. No great backstory there.

(BTW...all of you guys who cream your pants over the prospect of watching East Bugtussle play Ichokemychicken U in the Bankrupt Savings and Loan Bowl are contributing to the river of money that helps float the travesty of which you complain.)             

As always, Well said!
One day at a time.

demonHOG1013

The Tim Tebow love affair is off the charts.  He is gonna win it again this year, come back for his senior year and be the first 3 time winner.  He is probably the best college football player this year, even though his numbers are not what they were last year.  Those numbers are down because FL had a running game this year and Tebow didnt have to do it all.  He wasnt the best player last year and won, now that he is the best player its no doubt he will win.  Colt McCoy is a close second, along with Michael Crabtree, then a tie between Sam Bradford and Graham Harrel.

demonHOG1013

PS, the heisman voting has always been biased.  Notre Dame qb's can win the award playing on a 2 win team, its certainly a travesty.