Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All Auburn Coaching searches go here (why do we care?)

Started by hogzndogz, December 10, 2008, 07:31:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogzndogz

Breaking:
For what "sources" are worth...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/91248-steve-spurrier-a-possibilty-for-auburn

They are talking about him non-stop on Auburn blogs..
Saban-Spurrier state, that'd be interesting.
WooPigs.

dhornjr1

Jimmy Sexton working his magic yet again using Auburn to get Spurrier a raise at South Carolina?

hogzndogz

WooPigs.

Table Rocker

I'd still take tubs over spurrier. The sec has caught up to him.

SemperHawg

So Darth Visor turns down Tenn, so he can go to Aubbie, not sure about that one. However, I think that if Auburn were going to go the "up and comer", or coordinator route, with all the pressure from the fanbase, they would have done it by now.  I don't necessarily think its Spurrier, but I still don't think they would have canned Tubby without having something else(another big name)on the line.

Table Rocker

the golfing is way better in SC, he's not going anywhere

hogzndogz

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 10, 2008, 08:11:23 pm
So Darth Visor turns down Tenn, so he can go to Aubbie, not sure about that one. However, I think that if Auburn were going to go the "up and comer", or coordinator route, with all the pressure from the fanbase, they would have done it by now.  I don't necessarily think its Spurrier, but I still don't think they would have canned Tubby without having something else(another big name)on the line.
might be the smartest thing i've heard on Hogville.. VERY good point
WooPigs.

Hoggish1

Sexton?  Superior at Auburn would be a 10 year set back for Tigger.  Bring it on!  ;D

AuburnHog

I think Spurrier and Tennessee have a hate/hate relationship.  He didn't want UT and they didn't want him.......all going back to when Spurrier played at Florida during college.  I don't think he's going to AU but it's for different reasons than why he didn't take the UT position. 

3kgthog

Why would Auburn want The Visor? He's washed up. He hasn't done much at USC-E and I doubt he'd do much at Auburn with Saban to compete with. Spurrier is now just a big mouth that can't decide which QB he wants to play.

rmcchris

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 10, 2008, 08:52:44 pm
Why would Auburn want The Visor? He's washed up. He hasn't done much at USC-E and I doubt he'd do much at Auburn with Saban to compete with. Spurrier is now just a big mouth that can't decide which QB he wants to play.
I respectfully disagree with you about Spurrier.  I don't like him, but in my opinion he is a good coach and winner.  I go to Columbia a lot for business and know one person who is in the know about SC football.  He has told me repeatably that Spurrier has been unhappy at SC.  A few issues I can list are:  1. The university stance on admitting three top recruits two years ago.  Suppier interpreted the rules differently than the university.  Spurrier committed to the players and then was told they would not be admitted.  He was more than furious.  2.  Money.  Facilities we take for granted, they don't have and Spurrier has repeatably questioned their commitment and SC put off planned upgrades.  3.  Spurrier does not like the AD and treats him like the QBs you mention above.

For these reasons and a few more, Spurrier being an Auburn target and being interesting is not surprising at all.  It might happen if his bigger than life ego does not get in the way again! 

GO HOGS GO, I can't wait until 2009!

hogfan064

How can anyone trust the bleacherreport?  Seriously, this site is known for posting these kind of rumors just to get more hits.  Its actually a poor way of reporting "news". 

Spurrier has the #7 recruiting class in the country according to Rivals.  That would be his 2nd top 10 in 3 years.  His team went 7-5 this year, Auburn 5-7.  Why would he leave.

cityhog

wholehog92

Quote from: rmcchris on December 11, 2008, 10:07:25 am
I respectfully disagree with you about Spurrier.  I don't like him, but in my opinion he is a good coach and winner.  I go to Columbia a lot for business and know one person who is in the know about SC football.  He has told me repeatably that Spurrier has been unhappy at SC.  A few issues I can list are:  1. The university stance on admitting three top recruits two years ago.  Suppier interpreted the rules differently than the university.  Spurrier committed to the players and then was told they would not be admitted.  He was more than furious.  2.  Money.  Facilities we take for granted, they don't have and Spurrier has repeatably questioned their commitment and SC put off planned upgrades.  3.  Spurrier does not like the AD and treats him like the QBs you mention above.

For these reasons and a few more, Spurrier being an Auburn target and being interesting is not surprising at all.  It might happen if his bigger than life ego does not get in the way again! 

GO HOGS GO, I can't wait until 2009!

This is my understanding of the USCe situation as well.  In that regard I can see it.  In another I see SS's ego wanting a big season at USCe before he leaves as well.  That is what I have been waiting on before I expect SS to leave.  He may be frustrated enough by now to leave.  It would make an interesting dynamic in Bama for sure.  You also have Satan being know for defense, then the visor as an offense guy.  I like that we were holding the sole offensive genius card in the west in the recruiting area.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

hogsNbeer

Spurrier has already publicly said that he has about 4-5 years left of coaching.  He doesn't want to be around like Joe Pa and Papa Bowden have been...   If he's only going to be around for a handful of years, why on earth would he go somewhere to rebuild again.....   He's lining up another top 10 recruiting class, in what 4 years, I think.... He's not going anywhere.... He's on the verge of having a winner at SC...

josh_sec33

Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

HOGINTENNESSEE

no way. If steve was going to take another job it would have been the Tennessee job. He is an east Tennessee guy an has secretly loved that job, which is why he used to taunt them with statements like you can't spell Citus without UT.

razorsharptusk

December 11, 2008, 04:11:05 pm #17 Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:16:20 pm by razorsharptusk
When will these University's learned to look at Sexton and not give him the time of day.  Seem's he pulls money schemes like this alot. I know it is his job as an agent, but still.  Seem's he is successful at pulling the wool over these needful Universities eyes.

Also, why would they let Mullen go to M State without even trying to interview him for the Auburn job.  True, they may already have someone and they are awaiting the bowl season to get completed before announcing.
GO HOGS!!

SigHog87

Quote from: Table Rocker on December 10, 2008, 08:18:34 pm
the golfing is way better in SC, he's not going anywhere

What about all those Robert Trent Jones golf trails?

KENDALLF

he would have taken the tennesee job if he wanted out of columbia
My sports world is finally looking up. The Hogs are back, my Texans are improving, and if only the Rangers would get some dang pitching!

Bottom line is that the Aub job is a better job than the SC job.  Spurrier could get the Aub job now and likely save the best recruits from Aub and pull the best recruits from the ones he now has coming to SC.  Aub isn't needing a rebuild as much as a facelift.  They have a 7-5 team on campus with the right attitude and coaching.  That is why I can't understand TT leaving.  He could have righted the ship with some old fashion football offense and a bit of a passing game. 

KENDALLF

Quote from: 12247 on December 11, 2008, 04:31:31 pm
Bottom line is that the Aub job is a better job than the SC job.  Spurrier could get the Aub job now and likely save the best recruits from Aub and pull the best recruits from the ones he now has coming to SC.  Aub isn't needing a rebuild as much as a facelift.  They have a 7-5 team on campus with the right attitude and coaching.  That is why I can't understand TT leaving.  He could have righted the ship with some old fashion football offense and a bit of a passing game.

Spurrier said a while back when asked about the Tenn job that he would have been interested in the job a few yrs back but now he plans on stayin in SC until he retires in 4 or 5 yrs. So why would he pass on Tenn and take Aub especially now that Bama owns the state , and didnt TT pretty much get forced to leave
My sports world is finally looking up. The Hogs are back, my Texans are improving, and if only the Rangers would get some dang pitching!

fu-man-soo

Regarding the Auburn rumors, South Carolina head coach Steve Spurrier said today, "Yeah, I heard that. There's nothing to that. Amazing how some of this stuff gets started." He later said, "That one jumped out of nowhere. I know where my future in coaching is, and that's South Carolin

PaleHorse

Hog Database \ Arkansas Razorback Football History

GrantMerrill

hawgsav1

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 10, 2008, 08:11:23 pm

That being said, Tennessee might have welcomed Spurrier's big name and coaching ability, but he spent the better part of a decade poking fun of them and torturing their fanbase.  I think they would have gone with a less polarizing figure. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Oklahawg

I would rather recruit and politic vs Dabo Sweeney and Clemson than Nick Saban and Alabama.

That "4-5 years left" should hurt recruiting to Aubbie more than to USC-E.

I welcome Spurrier to the East. He's good enough to upset someone but not a coach I fear.

Thinking about the Aubbie talentbase, Spurrier is a foolish choice. His offense is what got TT fired (courtesy of Franklin's failed attempt at "modernizing" without changing the personnel). Might as well go get Mike Leach, who I think is better equipped to do a great job at Aubbie.

Peterson from TCU would be my choice. Or Turner Gill.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawgsav1

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 11, 2008, 08:13:16 pm
I would rather recruit and politic vs Dabo Sweeney and Clemson than Nick Saban and Alabama.

That "4-5 years left" should hurt recruiting to Aubbie more than to USC-E.

I welcome Spurrier to the East. He's good enough to upset someone but not a coach I fear.

Thinking about the Aubbie talentbase, Spurrier is a foolish choice. His offense is what got TT fired (courtesy of Franklin's failed attempt at "modernizing" without changing the personnel). Might as well go get Mike Leach, who I think is better equipped to do a great job at Aubbie.

Peterson from TCU would be my choice. Or Turner Gill.

You mean Spurrier to the West?  And Gary Patterson right? ;) 

I'm just teasing.  However, I completely agree with you.  Spurrier looks like he is done as a coach.  He has had solid defenses at South Carolina, but has never managed to get his Fun 'n Gun going.  If I was the Auburn head coach, I would try and pick between Leach, Patterson, or Gill.  I think Leach is a hell of a coach, but unfortunately, Auburn's personnel does not fit a spread offense.  There would be at least 2-3 years of struggle while Leach tried to implement his offense, and frankly, Auburn does not want to play second fiddle to Bama for that long. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

ur

PorkRyan

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawgsav1 on December 11, 2008, 08:23:53 pm
You mean Spurrier to the West?  And Gary Patterson right? ;) 

I'm just teasing.  However, I completely agree with you.  Spurrier looks like he is done as a coach.  He has had solid defenses at South Carolina, but has never managed to get his Fun 'n Gun going.  If I was the Auburn head coach, I would try and pick between Leach, Patterson, or Gill.  I think Leach is a hell of a coach, but unfortunately, Auburn's personnel does not fit a spread offense.  There would be at least 2-3 years of struggle while Leach tried to implement his offense, and frankly, Auburn does not want to play second fiddle to Bama for that long. 

Nice catch!

I must need my nightly meds...
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Rooka

Beaverfever

NWASooner

Muschamp is going nowhere and he's a moron if he does.

Nap

I'd be shocked, SHOCKED I tell you if he were to leave to go ANYWHERE.  He is within a year or two of taking over a solid Texas head coaching position that will soon be vacated by Mack.
I still can't believe that Fuzzy's is gone...

Table Rocker

from the bama board:

"If true, we will see one helluva competitive cheer competition when Ole Miss and Allbarn play"

Sivad

DimWit Danny Nutt to be named successor in waiting at Texas?

NWASooner

Quote from: Nap on December 11, 2008, 10:54:50 pm
I'd be shocked, SHOCKED I tell you if he were to leave to go ANYWHERE.  He is within a year or two of taking over a solid Texas head coaching position that will soon be vacated by Mack.

Bingo.  Mack isn't going to pull a Bowden or Paterno.  He'll probably retire in 2-4.

In related news, I hear that Jimbo Fisher at FSU is upset because he was under the impression that Bowden would retire sometime soon after Fisher went there.  Now, Bowden is showing no signs of leaving and FSU is on the hook for $2.5 million to Fisher is Bowden doesn't retire in the next 2 years.

razorbrass

Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

cityhog

Quote from: Table Rocker on December 11, 2008, 10:48:23 pm
yeah no joke, i'll believe it when i see it. horn fans gettin a little nervous

http://forums.hornfans.com/php/wwwthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=football&Number=5832866&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

interesting from that board... i have heard the same thing from a high up muckety muck

The head of my company is a big Auburn booster, been recognized at midfield and stuff. He joked at our Christmas party last night that Spurrier is their next head coach. This coming from a guy who talked to the AD at Auburn about the firing of the OC.

I hope Muschamp's not gone. I can see where this could be bad info. Fox 10 seems to be the only source of info. Man I hope it is misinfo. Talk about salt on an open wound...

HOGINTENNESSEE

NWASooner

If he was really going to Auburn, don't you think more than just one TV station would be reporting it? 

Auburn is going to have a tough time finding a big time coach because of it's crazy and unrealistic boosters.  Muschamp, if anyone, know this.  He also knows he's sitting on the plum of all college football coaching jobs and he only has to wait a few years.

If he's dumb enough to take the Auburn job then Auburn shouldn't want him.

TrojanHog

I remember the news breaking in to tell me that Tommy Tuberville was our new coach last year, and then again when Jim Grobe had accepted the job, and then again when Bobby Petrino resigned from the Falcons to take the job.

1 out 3, HOORAY NEWS!

Muschamp said no.  Auburn is interviewing head coaches left and right.  Spurrier is the hot rumor, somebody at Fox10 either got really messed with or needed to up the hits on the website to make the sponsors happy.  And considering this story and link is now up at multiple high traffic message boards, they are getting some hits tonight.

Will would be a fool to head back to face his mentor when he can wait for the easiest recruiting job in the country to fall into his lap after a few years of watching another pretty decent head coach work.

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Will not happen.

Texas or second fiddle to Sabans Alabama.  Hmmmm?

heathtits

Seriously, as everyone as said, he'd have to be insane to take the Auburn job. Look how they treated Tubbs, not exactly confidence inspiring, especially for an up and comer.

He could risk his entire coaching credibility by jumping on that crap ship.

He will stay at Texas at least another year.

GiantFoamFingerMak

No one else is reporting this...none of the other news stations/papers.  At least they weren't an hour or two ago.  All of this seems so strangely familiar.
Definition of HDN:  "College football's most aptly-surnamed sideline stalker twitches and fidgets like a snake-handling minister preaching a revival in a circus tent by the river while taking crystal meth and being jabbed in the backside by a cattle prod."

Hog Pharm

ESPN just reported that Auburn will likely name Muschamp its new coach.

spehog

sportscenter just ran the fox 10 report for what it is worth...agree muschamp is an idiot if he leaves to compete with saban
Woo Pig.