Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auburn's Coaching Search

Started by fu-man-soo, December 09, 2008, 11:06:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

donewithdale

Quote from: JoePaul03 on December 09, 2008, 08:49:43 pm
He seems to always be on top of SEC stuff, so that seems plausible

There is a connection there as Dooley's father played at Auburn and coached at Auburn under Jordan.  Could be family connections getting him an opportunity. 

Tim Harris

Paul Johnson has already told them no and Fishers buyout is 5 mill now, it was 2 mil but got changed to 5 mil after he flirted with WVU when Rich rod left.  I'm not sure why the dorks name keeps coming up since he already got the raise he wanted.  Hopefully he isn't dumb enough to think he can get 2 raises in the same offseason.....wait I forgot who I was talking about.  I think more names will keep coming up.  The AD already said it would be next week at the earliest.  If MSU makes a hire quickly and it is the OU OC like rumored then the they will start pressuring even more.

RevEd

Auburn cannot be serious about Nutt.

Surely they have a secret deal set up with a coach who wishes to remain anonymous until after the bowls.

Auburn can't be stupid enough to run off Tubbs without an ace in the hole.

Right?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: hogdiggity on December 09, 2008, 08:36:55 pm
Turner Gill may prove to be an excellent coach with a long career, but I think it is way too early to annoint him the savior of a program.  He reminds me of Stan Heath, he had one good year and a major univ. is ready to jump on the band wagon, possibly for as much the political correctness as the coaching prowess

I think Turner Gill is more than just a PC mention...

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/football/coaches/gill.shtml

In just two seasons, head coach Turner Gill has lifted the Buffalo football program to historic heights and has gained national attention for the Bulls' youthful program – less than a decade into major college football.

During the 2007 season, Gill earned Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year honors after leading the Bulls to five wins - the most in its Division I-A history. The program had won 10 games in its first seven years in I-A, they won half of that total in '07. UB finished with a 5-3 conference record, including a 4-2 mark in the MAC East Division to claim a share of the regular season title. Prior to the 2007 campaign, UB had won eight MAC games total in the previous eight years.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

donewithdale

Quote from: hogdiggity on December 09, 2008, 08:50:10 pm
just rumor at the moment but MSU folks are saying they have hired Wilson from OU

This could be good as he maybe has enough credibility based on OU's season that he can hold Ms St's recruiting class together guaranteeing Nutt will have a crappy class.

Oklahawg

The money Aubbie would save by hiring Gill vs a bigger name (even Hootie) could be spent on top-notch assistants. I'm sure Gill could assemble a staff of hungry coaches who would recruit like fiends. Still gonna be a rough couple of years (where have we heard that before) but I think he's a solid option.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hogdiggity

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 09, 2008, 09:21:20 pm
I think Turner Gill is more than just a PC mention...

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/football/coaches/gill.shtml

In just two seasons, head coach Turner Gill has lifted the Buffalo football program to historic heights and has gained national attention for the Bulls’ youthful program – less than a decade into major college football.

During the 2007 season, Gill earned Mid-American Conference Coach of the Year honors after leading the Bulls to five wins - the most in its Division I-A history. The program had won 10 games in its first seven years in I-A, they won half of that total in ‘07. UB finished with a 5-3 conference record, including a 4-2 mark in the MAC East Division to claim a share of the regular season title. Prior to the 2007 campaign, UB had won eight MAC games total in the previous eight years.

I'm not saying he isn't a good coach, I'm saying I wouldn't bet my successful program on it based on 2 years at UB (lowest of levels of FCS football), if he had done this in 2 years at say.....Baylor, Washington, or another mid major program I would say he is ready for a major shot.  Auburn expects to win and won't give anyone much time to get it going.

Opp-Sooie

Quote from: donewithdale on December 09, 2008, 09:17:59 pm
There is a connection there as Dooley's father played at Auburn and coached at Auburn under Jordan.  Could be family connections getting him an opportunity. 

Forget Dooley -- it won't be him.  This was strictly a courtesy interview. 

And if I'm wrong, I promise you the Auburn Nation will rise up in holy horror and call for Jay Jacobs head on a platter immediately -- and he knows that!

racinghog

The AU boards want nothing to do with Nutt or Sexton. But they do not make the decisions. Funny though that HDN has not come right out and said he is not interested, unless I missed it somewhere.

donewithdale

Gill has rebuilt Buffalo in 3 seasons and has been listed as one of those up and comers going back to asst days at Nebraska.  I'm not sure why Syracuse is even doing a coaching search unless Gill has told them he isn't interested.  They should have already hired him.  Turner Gill's growing rep reminds me of Brian Kelly or how Urban Meyer was talked about 8 or 9 years ago.  I'm not sure Auburn is the right job for him as its a no win situation right now as long as Saban is at Bama. 

hogdiggity

Quote from: donewithdale on December 09, 2008, 09:33:40 pm
Gill has rebuilt Buffalo in 3 seasons and has been listed as one of those up and comers going back to asst days at Nebraska.  I'm not sure why Syracuse is even doing a coaching search unless Gill has told them he isn't interested.  They should have already hired him.  Turner Gill's growing rep reminds me of Brian Kelly or how Urban Meyer was talked about 8 or 9 years ago.  I'm not sure Auburn is the right job for him as its a no win situation right now as long as Saban is at Bama. 

Syracuse does seem to be a better fit for Gill, at least from my eyes.  Aubie will be tough for anyone

donewithdale

Quote from: mhl6493 on December 09, 2008, 09:31:11 pm
Forget Dooley -- it won't be him.  This was strictly a courtesy interview. 

And if I'm wrong, I promise you the Auburn Nation will rise up in holy horror and call for Jay Jacobs head on a platter immediately -- and he knows that!

I don't think they'll hire Dooley.  I'm sure he got an interview because of his family.  I doubt any program would be as stupid as ours was 11 years ago and make someone a legit candidate because of family connections.

elksnort

Quote from: donewithdale on December 09, 2008, 09:33:40 pm
You are probably right. If Gill can compete with Rutgers, Penn State, et cetera and get some players at Syracuse. Someone can win at Syracuse. The old Irish-American (____Mc___) won there, and Pascaloni did also.

donewithdale

Quote from: elksnort on December 09, 2008, 09:38:44 pm
You are probably right. If Gill can compete with Rutgers, Penn State, et cetera and get some players at Syracuse. Someone can win at Syracuse. The old Irish-American won there, and Pascaloni did also.

He certainly already knows the recruiting base in New York and Pa.

I just can't believe Auburn doesn't have something going on behind the scenes with more experienced legit candidates than what has been leaked.  This is all Saban driven.  I can't believe they aren't going to try and outpay Bama. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: donewithdale on December 09, 2008, 09:42:09 pm

I just can't believe Auburn doesn't have something going on behind the scenes with more experienced legit candidates than what has been leaked.  This is all Saban driven.  I can't believe they aren't going to try and outpay Bama.

Might be watching the NFL ranks.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

elksnort

There's nothing Auburn can do about Alabama, if Saban is there and remains a very good recruiter. Auburn beat Saban when he was at LSU a couple of times anyway. Alabama, in this day and age does not have a recruiting advantage over LSU. Maybe Saban could tip the scales over LSU in recruiting, but LSU still has the better base.

Auburn needs to find them a strong coach who can get the best players he can and play hard. Auburn will always be second fiddle to Alabama.

donewithdale

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 09, 2008, 09:48:38 pm
Might be watching the NFL ranks.

That is what I have been thinking.  Wade Phillips will be out of work soon lol.

RevEd

JoePaul03

Quote from: donewithdale on December 09, 2008, 09:42:09 pm

They can't out-pay 'Bama can they?
WCOB, 2003

hogzndogz

Out pay bama? Uuhm not so much. haha, not every school has a "razorback foundation"
WooPigs.

oldman1015

the best christmas present i could get is for auburn to hire hootie. i'll believe that one when i see it.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

donewithdale

Quote from: JoePaul03 on December 09, 2008, 11:28:56 pm
They can't out-pay 'Bama can they?

Why not?  Do you think Auburn's alumni base is poor and they don't produce revenue from that huge stadium and that they don't cash their checks from the SEC?  It would be a matter of if they were willing to for who they would want. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Opp-Sooie

Quote from: donewithdale on December 10, 2008, 11:41:14 am
Why not?  Do you think Auburn's alumni base is poor and they don't produce revenue from that huge stadium and that they don't cash their checks from the SEC?  It would be a matter of if they were willing to for who they would want. 

Auburn has money, but don't forget that a LOT of it is tied up in paying former head coaches and assistants...  Their AD said that money is no object in this search, however.  We'll see.

TLFHAWG

A guest on Sports Talk with Bo said don't be surprised to see Spurrier at Auburn.

elksnort

Paul Finebaum just called Petrino the best coach that Auburn could have considered among those considered, but that he is a "weasel"

When Finebaum (or anyone else) called folks names, what will they think if they are every in the person's company?

TLFHAWG

Quote from: elksnort on December 10, 2008, 03:02:24 pm
Paul Finebaum just called Petrino the best coach that Auburn could have considered among those considered, but that he is a "weasel"

When Finebaum (or anyone else) called folks names, what will they think if they are every in the person's company?
I would put Finebaum in the same catagory as Brando, An Ass.
Quote from: elksnort on December 10, 2008, 03:02:24 pm

AuburnHog

Quote from: hogzndogz on December 09, 2008, 11:43:58 pm
Out pay bama? Uuhm not so much. haha, not every school has a "razorback foundation"

Is AU's Tigers Unlimited not the same thing as the Razorback Foundation?  Both are for Athletic Dept donations right?  AU has the money. 

JoePaul03

Quote from: donewithdale on December 10, 2008, 11:41:14 am

I just figured Bama had a bigger alumni base and more wealthy boosters than Auburn...
WCOB, 2003

N HOG

Quote from: prattville pig on December 09, 2008, 08:28:24 pm
According to Auburn Undercover, the short list is:

Houston Nutt
Turner Gill
Jimbo Fisher
the coach at Georgia Tech

The coach at Georgia Tech would be their best choice. Therefore, I hope they don't pick him.

HornetHog

Quote from: prattville pig on December 09, 2008, 08:28:24 pm
According to Auburn Undercover, the short list is:

Houston Nutt
Turner Gill
Jimbo Fisher
the coach at Georgia Tech

HDN Goes to New University that is a so/so program at best and beats Florida and LSU....  HDN is the only coach that beat #1 LSU the year before.   Auburn still waiting on announcing when all other school are announcing......crucial recruiting time is being wasted.  Only reason and that is Ole Miss is in a bowl game.  I bet the NUTT's are moving East. Just an opinion....
Just as smart as all the other smartarses on here

oldhawg

hogfansince79

Quote from: HornetHog on December 13, 2008, 07:33:44 am
HDN Goes to New University that is a so/so program at best and beats Florida and LSU....  HDN is the only coach that beat #1 LSU the year before.   Auburn still waiting on announcing when all other school are announcing......crucial recruiting time is being wasted.  Only reason and that is Ole Miss is in a bowl game.  I bet the NUTT's are moving East. Just an opinion....

Not the only one...

Kentucky 43 - LSU 37 (triple overtime)

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=272860096
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Dwight_K_Shrute

In an incredible turn of events Gene Chizik is starting to get more and more talk as a serious contender to land this job.  They are already going into full meltdown on their scout board.

How bad would the hire be?  They fired a coach that had the highest winning % in school history for a guy that went 5-19 in two years at I-State.  Hell ISU was 11-13 the two years before he arrived.  So his resume is that he took a mediocre to bad team and made them terrible, and this was in the B12 north.  The front runner with the fans appears to be Turner Gill.  Why in the hell would they take a guy that has proven he sucks as an HC over a guy that rebuilt a program that was the worst in D-1A. 

Of course choosing Chizik might benefit us but in the long run would hurt because a decent to good Auburn helps keep Bama in check.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.