Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama should still go to the NC!!!

Started by conman_7, December 07, 2008, 09:11:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

conman_7

I don't understand how FL is going to jump them. 

They both have 1 loss.....but FL lost to an unranked 8 win team, AL loss to a #4 1 loss team.  By the #'s AL should go...unless you look at it like the SEC championship game is a playoff????

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: conman_7 on December 07, 2008, 09:11:44 am

They both have 1 loss.....but FL lost to an unranked 8 win team, AL loss to a #4 1 loss team.  By the #'s AL should go...unless you look at it like the SEC championship game is a playoff????

Please tell me you are kidding? Bama got beat and got beat at the worst possible time, late in the season. Goodbye NCG, hello Sugar Bowl.
Go Hogs Go!

code red

Yeah it seems like a flited 3 man scramble.  Seems their are unwritten rules to this BS.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

The Lemming

Soccer Dad?

southeasthog

It was stupid when OU lost to KState and still played for the NC and it would be just as stupid to let Bama play for it this year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: code red on December 07, 2008, 09:14:19 am
Yeah it seems like a flited 3 man scramble.  Seems their are unwritten rules to this BS.

This is the inequality of the system. I have always said that ALL of the BCS conferences shoulld either expand and have enough teams to have a Conference CG or none of them should have a Conference CG. The ones that do have them tend to beat up on each other, great controversy is created(Big 12 and now the SEC) and teams like USC waltz into the BCS unscathed. Some rules need to be amended to create a level playing field or severely penalize those that refuse to expand to a 12 team conference.
Go Hogs Go!

idochog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2008, 09:19:40 am
This is the inequality of the system. I have always said that ALL of the BCS conferences shoulld either expand and have enough teams to have a Conference CG or none of them should have a Conference CG. The ones that do have them tend to beat up on each other, great controversy is created(Big 12 and now the SEC) and teams like USC waltz into the BCS unscathed. Some rules need to be amended to create a level playing field or severely penalize those that refuse to expand to a 12 team conference.

I agree, if you are gonna keep the bowls, you need to require all conferences that participate in the national championship to a have 12 team leagues and a championship game. 
I love Jesus!

AirForceHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2008, 09:19:40 am

THis is the truth. I totally agree with you.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

reds10

tell me you're joking???

jkstock04

You're logic makes sense...but you know good and well thats not the way the politics in college football work.  The Big 12 and SEC are held at a higher standard because of their conference championship games....there is just no way they're gonna send the SEC team who lost in the championship game.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hog Waller

When Texas was # 1 and lost they dropped several spots, same with Oklahoma...shouldn't the same apply for poor Bama?  They should of taken care of business so they wouldn't be in this situation.

Brownie Tuggle

See Boys & Girls, late nights at the Meth Lab has you thinking like this. The bright Alabama Fan explains a 11 point loss to Florida should keep them at number 1. His Logic here is somewhat like the Crackhead. In his mind Alabama should not default from the #1 spot. Sad, but true!

HognVA

Florida should jump Bama, but Texas is the school to get screwed. Big 12 needs to address that travesty for the future.

Hog Waller

Quote from: chrisb on December 07, 2008, 10:17:13 am
Florida should jump Bama, but Texas is the school to get screwed. Big 12 needs to address that travesty for the future.

I agree with you to an extent, but there is no way Texas abuses Mizzou the way OU did last night.

CORZRBACKFAN

I'm assuming this is a joke. Head to head trumps anything that happened in any fluke loss earlier in the season. Well, unless you're the Shorthorns! Face it, Alabama choked. They were #1, and they gave up their position. Florida did their job, they are in. Other one loss teams took care of business, so Alabama is out. I do believe there will be a split national champion: Texas will win the AP title IF they win their bowl game.

The BCS is dying a slow, painful death this season, and it pleases me. The potential solution? Arkansas alumnus Jerry Jones throws an insane amount of money at University Presidents when he offers to have the vastly improved Cotton Bowl host the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision Playoff Championship at the end of the 2015 season. Thank ESPN for making it take that long....
-"One has to learn havin' fun is just smilin' through
those changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes. "

-Jimmy Buffett

cbjagman

You have remember that Florida lost to that juggernaut Ole Misery team in September. Besides, there's absolutely nothing to be ashamed about losing to a Hooter Nutt team. Remember that he's liable to be voted NCOY due to his coaching and recruiting prowness. That award would be truly "precious" to him.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: chrisb on December 07, 2008, 10:17:13 am

More of this b.s. Texas IS NOT getting screwed. All they had to do was beat Texas Tech and none of this would have even been an issue. They didn't. Mack Brown voted FOR this tie-breaking procedure, Bob Stoops didn't. See how karma can bite you in the arse? If you want to look at it further, OU has a stronger SOS than Texas. OU has a victory over a ranked BCS opponent away from home, Texas doesn't. OU's margin of victory over conference opponents is greater than that of Texas. I could go on and on and this b.s. of Texas getting screwed is nothing more than just blind hatred for OU or because people are closet Texas fans. I could care less what happens to Texas and as an Arkansas fan, why don't you?
Go Hogs Go!

The Hogfather

All Oklahoma had to do was beat Texas and they wouldn't be getting screwed.....oh, wait!

His argument is basically the same argument as Oklahoma's.  Who cares about head-to-head, Alabama got beat by a higher ranked team, at a neutral site.  Florida got beat at home by a team that is not even ranked by the BCS.

Last night, the Big XII commissioner was pushing for a rematch of Texas/Oklahoma in the NC game.  I say that there is just as much an argument for a rematch of Alabama/Florida rematch in the NC game.

I think that OU/Florida is the match-up that should occur and I think that's what is going to happen.  I also think Florida beats Oklahoma by 10+ points.

judgeroyswine

Quote from: byrsta on December 07, 2008, 10:18:41 am
I agree with you to an extent, but there is no way Texas abuses Mizzou the way OU did last night.

How do you know that?
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

pimphog

Florida was the better team...period.

31to6

No team should play for the NC that did not even win their conference.

That goes for Tejas too.

Niels Boar

Actually the Bama loss torpedoed the Texas claim to the NC game.  Who is the one-loss team with the best loss? Bama.  But it is insane to have UF and Bama play two times in a row on a neutral field or make the SECCG meaningless. 

There should be an 8-team playoff with the conference CGs acting as a de facto first round.  Winner of CCG advances, loser goes to a bowl. No exceptions.  That would put teeth in the CCGs.  Winners of the ACC, SEC, Big 12, Big 10, Big East, and Pac10 CCGs get automatic bids.  If a conference doesn't have a CG, that bid becomes a wildcard. One bid is reserved for the highest ranked mid-major if they are in the top eight in the BCS.  One or possibly two bids are wildcards, assuming all BCS conferences quickly institute CGs.  This year the playoffs would probably be OU, UF, Texas, Va Tech, Penn State, USC, Utah, and Pitt.  Yeah, I know, not necessarily the best eight teams, but Bama had their chance to advance on a neutral field.  It takes most of the politics out of it.  You get there on the field.  The goal is to crown the best team, and UF > Bama.  We already know it isn't Bama.  The FF would probably be OU, Texas, UF, and USC.  Awesome.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The Hogfather on December 07, 2008, 11:01:29 am
All Oklahoma had to do was beat Texas and they wouldn't be getting screwed.....oh, wait!

His argument is basically the same argument as Oklahoma's.  Who cares about head-to-head, Alabama got beat by a higher ranked team, at a neutral site.  Florida got beat at home by a team that is not even ranked by the BCS.

Last night, the Big XII commissioner was pushing for a rematch of Texas/Oklahoma in the NC game.  I say that there is just as much an argument for a rematch of Alabama/Florida rematch in the NC game.

I think that OU/Florida is the match-up that should occur and I think that's what is going to happen.  I also think Florida beats Oklahoma by 10+ points.

Actually, Alabama was beaten by a lower ranked team at a neutral site, same as OU being beaten by Texas. Florida had the loss to Ole Miss but everyone says, "but they are a different team now". Well, it appears that OU is a different team than Texas beat as well, plus the team that beat Texas was brutally beaten by OU. Round and round and round we go. When you lose late in the season, it hurst you more than if you lose early and then gain momentum......it is just how it is.

Bottom line, Bama couldn't get it done to get into the NCG and Texas couldn't "lobby" their way into the NCG. The two best teams at this time will be there........Florida and OU.
Go Hogs Go!

The Hogfather

December 07, 2008, 12:35:53 pm #23 Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 12:38:43 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2008, 12:07:43 pm
Actually, Alabama was beaten by a lower ranked team at a neutral site, same as OU being beaten by Texas. Florida had the loss to Ole Miss but everyone says, "but they are a different team now". Well, it appears that OU is a different team than Texas beat as well, plus the team that beat Texas was brutally beaten by OU. Round and round and round we go. When you lose late in the season, it hurst you more than if you lose early and then gain momentum......it is just how it is.

Bottom line, Bama couldn't get it done to get into the NCG and Texas couldn't "lobby" their way into the NCG. The two best teams at this time will be there........Florida and OU.

I guess you couldn't understand my point.  Alabama has the same argument as OU to get to the NC game.  They lost to a higher ranked opponent than Florida lost to (Ole Miss), even though that loss was to Florida.  Oklahoma lost to a higher ranked opponent than Texas lost to (Texas Tech), even though that team was Texas.

They have very similar arguments.  The only difference is WHEN they lost their games, which shouldn't matter, in my opinion.  I hate that a loss later in the season hurts you more than one at the start of the season.  yeah, you can say that teams should be better at the end of the season, but maybe that's when you happen to play the toughest team on your schedule (Alabama playing Florida).  Whereas, Oklahoma played their toughest opponent early in the season (Texas).

I don't think the best two teams are playing in the National Championship game.  I think the most deserving teams, UNDER THE CURRENT SYSTEM, are playing for the National Championship.  I think Florida is one of the two best teams in the country, but I think Texas is better than Oklahoma, which they already proved by beating them straight-up.

conman_7

First off------I AM NOT A BAMA FAN!!!! 

I was just simply putting #'s out there...I know that OU & FL win be in the NCG!!!

So this is what it should look like:

OU----Lost to # 5 by 10pts * neutral site
FL----Lost to unranked team by 1 * home
Texas----Lost to #7 by 6 pts  *away
AL----Lost to # 4 by 11 * neutral site

If you just picked by the #'s rather than who we think should play...who should go?

Fence Jockey

It will be OK vs Florida when it is all said & done,

But

It should be Florida vs Texas if you really did it the right way. Head to Head play should be the first & foremost factor. Of the top 4 1 lose teams Florida beat Bama head to head & Texas beat OK head to head.

But

Thats not the way it works right now!!!

hogginbama

Ok, lets play the "if" game. If none of these 4 teams would have lost any games at all, how would they be ranked. If memory serves me correct, before any of them lost, Oklahoma was on top, followed by a Florida team, then followed by Texas, and then by Alabama. Not 1-4, but in that order throughout the top 10. So, all we have is a reshuffling of the teams, as they have all played their games and we are back to the spots they were in a few weeks ago. The only ones that haven't made their way back into the shuffle is Penn State.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

eathill5

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2008, 10:52:29 am
More of this b.s. Texas IS NOT getting screwed. All they had to do was beat Texas Tech and none of this would have even been an issue. They didn't. Mack Brown voted FOR this tie-breaking procedure, Bob Stoops didn't. See how karma can bite you in the arse? If you want to look at it further, OU has a stronger SOS than Texas. OU has a victory over a ranked BCS opponent away from home, Texas doesn't. OU's margin of victory over conference opponents is greater than that of Texas. I could go on and on and this b.s. of Texas getting screwed is nothing more than just blind hatred for OU or because people are closet Texas fans. I could care less what happens to Texas and as an Arkansas fan, why don't you?

Actually Texas has a win against a higher ranked opponent than OU and it was away from home. 
Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on December 30, 2010, 02:51:51 am
He is a bad person... I read this thread specifically to say this.
Gus doesn't love Arkansas, you, or Jesus. Only Gus.
Get over it.
Quote from: swoopeshog on January 08, 2011, 09:36:34 pm
guvhog and band geek are both idiots

Kenny Dowell Loggains

some of you out there (not everyone) but some need to understand that the BCS and rankings are done on a "what have you done for me LATELY" basis.  Always has and always will.

NCGatorBait

The GatorNation humbly apologizes for beating Bama yesterday and will allow them to just take UF's spot in the NC game.

98hogs

Your girlfriend made you write this?  Otherwise no one in their right mind

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: eathill5 on December 07, 2008, 01:06:07 pm
Actually Texas has a win against a higher ranked opponent than OU and it was away from home. 

Name that opponent. UTEP? No. Colorado? No. Texas Tech? No, they lost that one. Kansas? No. So please, tell me who this mystery team is because that is total of their "away" games. The OU-Texas game, which as everyone has dwelled on, was a "neutral site" and therefore cannot be considered an away game. So pony up with who that was.
Go Hogs Go!

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: southeasthog on December 07, 2008, 09:18:34 amIt was stupid when OU lost to KState and still played for the NC and it would be just as stupid to let Bama play for it this year.

Maybe, but LSwho lost to us and still play for and won the NC. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on December 07, 2008, 02:38:03 pm
Maybe, but LSwho lost to us and still play for and won the NC. 

Yeah, but had anyone been close to them in terms o competition or points in the BCS, they wouldn't have. Different scenario this year.
Go Hogs Go!

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2008, 02:50:26 pm
Yeah, but had anyone been close to them in terms o competition or points in the BCS, they wouldn't have. Different scenario this year.

I know.  I was trying to point out to southeasthog that similar things have happened before. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

eathill5

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2008, 02:32:46 pm
Name that opponent. UTEP? No. Colorado? No. Texas Tech? No, they lost that one. Kansas? No. So please, tell me who this mystery team is because that is total of their "away" games. The OU-Texas game, which as everyone has dwelled on, was a "neutral site" and therefore cannot be considered an away game. So pony up with who that was.

Oklahoma.  It was at a nuetral site as you mentioned.  That is not a home game
Get over it.

dougieritch

It's all about the time of the year when you lose.  Plus lets face it, Florida beat Bama head to head, so really in my opinion Florida so rightfully go to the NC Game.  Plus I think Florida creates a lot of mismatches for OU, especially if P. Harvin is healthy.

MuskogeeHogFan

December 07, 2008, 03:34:45 pm #37 Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 03:36:25 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: eathill5 on December 07, 2008, 03:08:23 pm
Oklahoma.  It was at a nuetral site as you mentioned.  That is not a home game

Neutral sites do not count(in terms of away games) and how can Oklahoma be ranked higher than Oklahoma? I know you are trying to make a point here(as many closet Texas fans try to) but it just does not work. Sorry. Try again next year.
Go Hogs Go!

eathill5

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on December 07, 2008, 03:34:45 pm
Neutral sites do not count(in terms of away games) and how can Oklahoma be ranked higher than Oklahoma? I know you are trying to make a point here(as many closet Texas fans try to) but it just does not work. Sorry. Try again next year.

Actually I despise Texas.  I think OU should be playing just saying your arguement doesn't hold water.
Get over it.

WHITEPW

the only way this thing works is if 2 BCS teams are undefeated and no one else is

wildhawgs5

What conman said was also said by craig james and doug flutie yesterday. I personally don't want to see florida in the game. I hate them damn near as much as I hate the longhorns.but the big sports networks are wanying tebow to win the heisman, so they will make sure that florida is playing in the n.c. game!

Hoggish1

If your reason is they are the only team capable of giving Florida a game, I'm agreeing.

the donger

Smoke another joint.

Gohawgs 71

Quote from: conman_7 on December 07, 2008, 12:44:20 pm
First off------I AM NOT A BAMA FAN!!!! 

I was just simply putting #'s out there...I know that OU & FL win be in the NCG!!!

So this is what it should look like:

OU----Lost to # 5 by 10pts * neutral site
FL----Lost to unranked team by 1 * home
Texas----Lost to #7 by 6 pts  *away
AL----Lost to # 4 by 11 * neutral site

If you just picked by the #'s rather than who we think should play...who should go?

Are you a Hog fan??  No Hog fan I know would advocate for Bama......screw the Tide, enjoy playing in a Sugar Bowl nobody gives a crap about

pigzwillrise

tell me who bama has beat this year? give me an impressive win over a great team... they dont have many... georgia? well georgia turned out to be not what we thought they were... they beat lsu but so did ole miss and arkansas... they beat clemson, but clemson turned out to be AWFUL... so who has bama beat?? they had their chance against FLA and blew it, IMO

bartonbear

I have to disagree that Bama should still be in the BCS Title game. I'm one of those that believes that if you don't win your conference championship, you have no right to play for the National Title. I don't care if we need a playoff, which we do need, for me only conference champs should have that right. I don't care if there isn't a rule that requires it.

ALLVOL

Quote from: wildhawgs5 on December 07, 2008, 06:12:30 pm
What conman said was also said by craig james and doug flutie yesterday. I personally don't want to see florida in the game. I hate them damn near as much as I hate the longhorns.but the big sports networks are wanying tebow to win the heisman, so they will make sure that florida is playing in the n.c. game!
Florida beat bammer in the SECCG. That settles it. Just like LSU with 2 losses won the SECCG and made it. The reason? The SEC is the best conf and after screwing AUB a few years ago they learned their lesson and it wont happen again. I hate both bammer and the Gayturds but UF won and bammer lost. bammer cannot go to the Nat Title game without winning their onw conf. That would be stupid.

psooie

I think you can make the case for a split title if OU and texas both win but it won't happen, ou would get it...yet, if utah beats bama, utah might have the best case for a split title with the uf/ou winner

Hogsnort

Quote from: psooie on December 08, 2008, 12:13:16 pm
I think you can make the case for a split title if OU and texas both win but it won't happen, ou would get it...yet, if utah beats bama, utah might have the best case for a split title with the uf/ou winner
Utah has a one legged man's chance in kicking Bama's butt , although I have seen some very unorthodox methods of accomplishing such a feat.

pigzwillrise

i view the SECCG as a 2 team playoff in itself... so as far as im concerned bama lost their "playoff" game so why should they get a natl title game