Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama

Started by thill04, December 03, 2008, 02:16:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thill04

Are they really that good? The only two ranked teams that they have beat are 17 Georgia and 22 Ole Miss. Just a question for all of you to ponder.

tcolinm

We will find out Saturday... my money is on Florida, but Bama is still a really good team. Regardless of what happens saturday, you dont go 12-0 and 8-0 in the SEC without being a darn good team

Hog in MO

I haven't been overly impressed.  I guess we'll find out on Saturday.  They have not looked like a #1 team this year IMO - even though they have won every game.  FL will be their first real test of the year.  My money says the Gators expose the Tide - big time. 

Tripod1

They are not impressive but they just keep winning and until someone beats them I guess they deserve where they are ranked. I personally feel Florida will beat them but who knows? I am afraid they sleeping giant is awake though and I really don't like their snobby fans which will only get worse.

GWFan

December 03, 2008, 02:25:56 pm #4 Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 02:31:09 pm by GWFan
If they play like they did against AU it will be a nice game to watch, but FL still comes out on top.
If AL is playing like they did against Miss St where they had to resort to a bunch of field goals for scores, the FL will simply have fun with them.

thill04

i feel like the media and all of these "experts" treat alabama and notre dame the same, all they have to do is fart and they're in the top ten.

HogTuba

Quote from: thill04 on December 03, 2008, 02:35:17 pm
i feel like the media and all of these "experts" treat alabama and notre dame the same, all they have to do is fart and they're in the top ten.
A 12-0 season in the SEC is no fart.
S-A-S-N-A-K--RA

tcolinm

Quote from: HogTuba on December 03, 2008, 02:46:17 pm

no, thats a full-fledged bowel movement

Ouachihog

Florida by at least 10. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

SILK PURSE

At night, my body becomes an orchestra.
On the dark days, I sit in a dimly lit alcove crushing up 250mg Nuvigil tablets and knitting tiny pink practice jerseys for Mr. Whiskers.  Then I think of the Herringboner Series--back to back fake punt calls in the 2008 Cotton Bowl.  Soon, shrill peals of laughter echo out the window and across the courtyard.

GWFan

Oliver

I find it funny that so many people say the hardest thing to do is go undefeated in the SEC because it's such a tough conference.

The last two teams that did...Auburn and Alabama...Auburn was left out of the National Championship game in favor of 2 other teams and now people are writing off Alabama before they even step on the field against Florida.

BA Hogwild

I think Florida will win and leap into a NC spot
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

Northrock Hog

Clemson was also ranked when Bama beat them not that it makes any difference. I think the Gators win Saturday.
You have 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means you should listen twice as much as you talk.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: thill04 on December 03, 2008, 02:16:57 pm
Are they really that good? The only two ranked teams that they have beat are 17 Georgia and 22 Ole Miss. Just a question for all of you to ponder.

What they seem to be is consistent and tend to not beat themselves. However, if you compare Florida and Alabama you find the following.

Florida            Alabama
Total Offense                   449                 371
Total Defense                   276                 249
INT's Thrown                    3                     6
Fumble's Lost                    8                     9
INT's Gained                     23                   9
Fumbles Gained                  9                    9
Avg Off Pts Scored           46.3                32.1
Avg Def Pts Allowed          12.3                11.5
Red Zone Eff Off               .910                .840
Red Zone Eff Def              .680                 .810
Avg Yds Penalized              59.4                35.2
Quality Wins Vs. BCS           2                     1
Quality Road Wins               2                     1

I just think that Alabama will play tough on defense and try to run the ball to control the game and keep Tebow off the field. But in the end, I see Florida as the better team and they will win the SECCG and go to the NCG.
Go Hogs Go!

Teebow62

I think Bama actually beat 4 or 5 teams that were ranked when they played them. Bama's defense is as good as here is, but I still don't know if they can match Gators with enough points. Nevertheless, you gotta hand it to Saban. Yes, he has awaken the sleeping giant.

TLFHAWG

12-0 in the SEC is the test.  I think BAMA has passed.  The Gators are the next test.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Teebow62 on December 03, 2008, 03:21:10 pm
I think Bama actually beat 4 or 5 teams that were ranked when they played them. Bama's defense is as good as here is, but I still don't know if they can match Gators with enough points. Nevertheless, you gotta hand it to Saban. Yes, he has awaken the sleeping giant.

That's correct, they both played more teams that were ranked when they played them, but I took my results off the current BCS top 25. Clemson is a decent team, but not ranked.
Go Hogs Go!

DuckHawg

They are going to get a good schooling, ala Urban Meyer Gator style this weekend.  It will be a repeat of the Oklahoma - Texas Tech game with Alabama being the Crimson Raiders !   :razorback:

Hog in MO

Quote from: Northrock Hog on December 03, 2008, 03:11:56 pm
Clemson was also ranked when Bama beat them not that it makes any difference. I think the Gators win Saturday.

and we saw how good clemson really was - just like we did with UGA.  so much for preseason polls. 

PIGINAPOKE

The best thing to happen to RRS is the moron will never bunny hop thru the tunnel again !

Why do rednecks call antlers horns? Are the deer woods really different than the Turkey woods? How much is a " Mess" of Crappie?

rzrbaxfan

Is Bama that good?  I say yes.  They are well coached all around, have a balanced offense, a stout D, and a playmaker on special teams.  They are not flashy, but they are not that type of team.  Everyone is ready to hand it over to Fla, but I may be the only one that thinks Fla is in for a suprise. 

I'm rooting for Bama.  3 different SEC teams (2 from the west) in the national title game 3 years in a row should shut up all of the "b12 is better than the SEC" talk for the off season, especially if it's OU that they beat to win it all.

SpasticColon

what you fail to realize that Bama is not a quick strike offense-happy high scoring team.  We are a more physical type ground it out low scoring defensive oriented team.  Our goal is to pound and pound until your team gets tired and wants no more.  Our defense is stop the run first, cover man on man and blitz from different angles which makes it difficult for your offense to maintain long drives.  We are a ball possession, if fact we hold the ball for 10 more than the opposition each game.

If it takes two men to block Cody that will leave an extra man for the rush.  You will not run up the middle and hopefully the linebackers have the gaps filled.  They are also fast enough to keep most backs from reaching the outside.

Fla/bama will be two different styles and in most cases a great defense will stop a great offense

Alabama is a top notch coached team with a bunch or inexperienced, young players and some solid but not great veterans.  Haven't heard, will Harvin play?  If so and if he is 100 percent, Bama is in for a bad day.  Florida screwed the pooch and lost one to an easy foe.  I think they are awake now.  Fla by 14.

DC

Quote from: DuckHawg on December 03, 2008, 03:34:37 pm
They are going to get a good schooling, ala Urban Meyer Gator style this weekend.  It will be a repeat of the Oklahoma - Texas Tech game with Alabama being the Crimson Raiders !   :razorback:

FL may beat AL, but it won't be nearly as bad as the game you just mentioned. AL does have a defense.

hogsndawgs

They've benefited from the fact that the SEC is down this year, but still...you don't go undefeated in this conference, even on a down year unless you are very good. Look at UF for example, they had a slip up at home against OM for goodness sakes. They can run the ball and they play smashmouth defense.

REALTOR Hog

Regardless who wins, I have money on Florida to win the NC and Alabama to win the NC because I am that confident in the SEC.

I also have Alabama to win out right, I can quadruple my money if they win.
- GO HOGS -

wildhogman

Quote from: SpasticColon on December 03, 2008, 06:36:55 pm
what you fail to realize that Bama is not a quick strike offense-happy high scoring team.  We are a more physical type ground it out low scoring defensive oriented team.  Our goal is to pound and pound until your team gets tired and wants no more.  Our defense is stop the run first, cover man on man and blitz from different angles which makes it difficult for your offense to maintain long drives.  We are a ball possession, if fact we hold the ball for 10 more than the opposition each game.

If it takes two men to block Cody that will leave an extra man for the rush.  You will not run up the middle and hopefully the linebackers have the gaps filled.  They are also fast enough to keep most backs from reaching the outside.

Fla/bama will be two different styles and in most cases a great defense will stop a great offense
I remember when Gene Stallings was coaching Bama. They played a great Miami team in the MNC game. Everyone basically gave the game to Miami because they had such a "great" offense. No way Bama could stop them. Anyone remember how that one turned out?
Offense is pretty to watch, thrilling to see a 60 yard TD pass, the spread and everything else. But DEFENSE wins championships, and always will. Yon cant score, you cant win.

Hoggy1

You must be smokin somethin if you think I ain't smokin nothin

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Alabama is this weeks Texas Tech from the Oklahoma game.  They will get destroyed by Florida and lose all credibility and go to like 8 or 9 in the polls.  The worst #1 team I have ever witnessed.  Just wait til JPW has to throw the ball in pressure situations.  Lots of int's for JPW saturday.
Go Hogs! Go Rangers! Go Cowboys! Go Mavs! Go Stars!

idiotghos

Quote from: HOG FAN 4 LIFE on December 04, 2008, 01:42:28 am
The worst #1 team I have ever witnessed.

Georgia was #1 earlier this year and Bama took care of them in Athens, so no.

REALTOR Hog

- GO HOGS -

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Quote from: idiotghos on December 04, 2008, 01:52:30 am
Georgia was #1 earlier this year and Bama took care of them in Athens, so no.
Well okay.  Then the worst #1 team this late in the year.  Rankings that early don't count.

GWFan

December 04, 2008, 02:17:08 am #33 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:25:25 am by GWFan
I can't wait for this Saturday's championship games.  Gonna be good :)

conman_7

I think they are a really good team...they just focus on fundamentals and each guy taking care of his responsibility and not trying to do too much.   They havn't been tested...till saterday!

I think AL Def. will match up against OU better than FL Def., so I hope AL wins saterday and goes on to win the NC!!!

havok

....and playing a ton of Freshmen to boot.  <--that is scary when you consider what that team will be like next year and the years afterward with game experience and maturity.

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Quote from: havok on December 04, 2008, 08:04:51 am
....and playing a ton of Freshmen to boot.  <--that is scary when you consider what that team will be like next year and the years afterward with game experience and maturity.
You still need a quarterback though and Mcelroy is absolutely terrible.

DeltaBoy

Harvey won't be 100% even if he does play.  Nick going to dail up some D that will give Urban nightmares and Tebow lots of Pain.
Tide rolls again 31-21
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorsharptusk

December 04, 2008, 12:27:41 pm #38 Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 12:30:38 pm by razorsharptusk
I see Alabama prevailing in this one.  I don't see it being close either.  Harvin will not be full speed.  That messes with the psych of the other Florida players as well. This guy is a monster when you look at the stats.  They also lose 2 defensive lineman.  Bama has the better defense hands down. And I look for them to score points as well. Arenas will have opportunity to pick off more passes, no one can catch him if he gets loose.  I think JPW will stumble around enough to get some points for the Offense.  The first quarter is going to be an all out war.  Not to mention that Bama is going in the underdog.  We all know how that worked out against Clemson.
GO HOGS!!

BA Hogwild

The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your fears,block out your problems,and score your points when you get your opportunity

donewithdale

Quote from: wildhogman on December 03, 2008, 10:27:05 pm
I remember when Gene Stallings was coaching Bama. They played a great Miami team in the MNC game. Everyone basically gave the game to Miami because they had such a "great" offense. No way Bama could stop them. Anyone remember how that one turned out?
Offense is pretty to watch, thrilling to see a 60 yard TD pass, the spread and everything else. But DEFENSE wins championships, and always will. Yon cant score, you cant win.

My thoughts too.  I was at that Sugar Bowl.  I've seen this from Bama for years.  Its their program's m o especially when they have one of their great teams.  They don't look impressive as far as pretty offense and high scores and some supposed Heisman god qb.  But they are disciplined, solid in the kicking game, play great defense, can run the ball down an opponents throat, qb is experienced and makes the play when necessary, speed and athleticism is underrated vs their opponent, etc.   

From what we have seen from both and all of the speed Florida looks like they have and Tebow, one would think a Florida blowout.  But I've just seen Bama put a foot in the --- of this pansy pretty boy football too many times. 

elksnort

Florida is powerful too. Alabama is very fast also.

This Bama team does remind me of the 1992 team some. Maybe not quite as good, but we'll see.

I know Florida maybe got better as the season went along, but Arkansas was right in the game until middle of the 4th quarter or whenever the drive stopping pick was thrown. Florida, nor Bama has had the real challenge from anyone this year. The SEC is down, as a whole.

want2be

With Bama coming in as a 10point underdog, they should be up for the challenge.......They will win the battle in the trenches and the game may come to special teams and if so Florida will win in tight one.

jamie72921

Bobby Petrino was asked this question within the last couple of days.

On record, he said that Bama was the better of the two teams. Considering he coached against both, I would say that is a pretty ringing endorsement.
Bless your heart

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Everyone realizes that Florida's defense is just as good as Alabama's this year right?

PPG          Yards/G        PassYPG        RushYPG
Alabama        11.5          248.5           174.9              27.1

Florida          12.3           275.7           172.9             31.5

Okay so defense wins championships right?  Now which one.  Keep in mind Florida averages 46.3 PPG and Alabama averages 32.1 PPG.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/stats/byteam?cat1=defense&conference=I-A_all&year=2008

songofthesword

i put alot of thought into this game.

take a step back and look at it, this florida team is not that much different then the one that was last year. talent wise yes they are are better. I think like, alabama, they have taken to a very weak SEC and made change out of paper tigers that were on their schedule.

there is a blue print to beat florida, it's pretty tried and true.  If your front 4 can match up and win the battle fith florida' front 4, then you will be in the game. you might not win it, but you will be in it.

florida stomps holes in teams that have to bring people. they have too many weapons to have to think about blitzing florida.

that's why ole miss was so successful. they couuld rush 4 and drop 7 and get REAL pressure on tebow, make him uncomortable but at the same time, make him have to Throw the ball and not really give him the option to kill you running. he might get a play or two but he's not going to dominate the game.

remember, ole miss played florida tough last year as well. for the exact same reason.

that offense is quick strike but florida is not florida state, georgia or tennessee. alabama has a very, very good, sound defense, coached by what is probably the best defensive coach in football.

I'll go with bama in this one. and no way in hell florida wins by more than a touchdown

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Quote from: songofthesword on December 05, 2008, 01:32:40 am
i put alot of thought into this game.

take a step back and look at it, this florida team is not that much different then the one that was last year. talent wise yes they are are better. I think like, alabama, they have taken to a very weak SEC and made change out of paper tigers that were on their schedule.

there is a blue print to beat florida, it's pretty tried and true.  If your front 4 can match up and win the battle fith florida' front 4, then you will be in the game. you might not win it, but you will be in it.

florida stomps holes in teams that have to bring people. they have too many weapons to have to think about blitzing florida.

that's why ole miss was so successful. they couuld rush 4 and drop 7 and get REAL pressure on tebow, make him uncomortable but at the same time, make him have to Throw the ball and not really give him the option to kill you running. he might get a play or two but he's not going to dominate the game.

remember, ole miss played florida tough last year as well. for the exact same reason.

that offense is quick strike but florida is not florida state, georgia or tennessee. alabama has a very, very good, sound defense, coached by what is probably the best defensive coach in football.

I'll go with bama in this one. and no way in hell florida wins by more than a touchdown
Definitely will take you up on that.

songofthesword

also to add.. I remember watching us play alabama and how helpless i felt. watching florida, without a couple of stupid plays, we are definatly in that game to win it. just g17 to 7 in the 4th quarter. it was 35 - 0 at half time against alabama.

m smith had a field day against florida running the ball. imagine with that bama line can do.

the more i think about it the more i'm liking bama

bamabaseball

yes tripod1 bama is awake so get over it we dont care if you like us are not.

HOG FAN 4 LIFE

Quote from: songofthesword on December 05, 2008, 01:35:54 am
also to add.. I remember watching us play alabama and how helpless i felt. watching florida, without a couple of stupid plays, we are definatly in that game to win it. just g17 to 7 in the 4th quarter. it was 35 - 0 at half time against alabama.

m smith had a field day against florida running the ball. imagine with that bama line can do.

the more i think about it the more i'm liking bama
We shot ourselves in the first half of the bama game.  Do you remember how easily we were moving the ball against them though?  Think about what a Florida offense could do in addition to what we were able to do.  Gotta look at both sides.