Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vandy's Bobby Johnson looks headed to Clemson

Started by HotlantaHog, November 18, 2008, 10:34:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HotlantaHog

http://www.footballrumormill.com/2008/11/17/scoop-bobby-johnson-emerges-at-leader-at-clemson/

``We're told Clemson Athletic Director will continue to interview candidates and that a move in another direction is not out the realm of possibilities. However, a Johnson hire seems more likely than not.''

If you can win at Vandy, you have to be a pretty dang good coach, I think, is the idea.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 18, 2008, 10:34:00 am
http://www.footballrumormill.com/2008/11/17/scoop-bobby-johnson-emerges-at-leader-at-clemson/

``We’re told Clemson Athletic Director will continue to interview candidates and that a move in another direction is not out the realm of possibilities. However, a Johnson hire seems more likely than not.''

If you can win at Vandy, you have to be a pretty dang good coach, I think, is the idea.

If that happens would Vandy hire Gus?  That would be very bad news for Houston (although Johnson has been a thorn in Houston's side anyway) because Vandy is the Rebels' permanent SEC East opponent.  It would be "precious".

okiehawg

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on November 18, 2008, 10:57:49 am
If that happens would Vandy hire Gus?  That would be very bad news for Houston (although Johnson has been a thorn in Houston's side anyway) because Vandy is the Rebels' permanent SEC East opponent.  It would be "precious".

That is a very good hire for Clemson and us.  Arkansas doesn't need Vandy to be competitive.

With Gus, I have said this before about other jobs (specifically the K-State one), why would they want Gus?  He has only been a college coach for three years, he needs more experience to land a major conference job.

The second thing that I also said about the K-State job is, why would Gus want this job if they were crazy enough to give it to him?  Tennesee is hiring a new coach so you know they wil be improved.  It is a no win situation.  There is a reason they haven't been to a bowl game since the 80's and what Bobby Johnson did was amazing and isn't likely to happen again anytime soon.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: okiehawg on November 18, 2008, 11:09:21 am
That is a very good hire for Clemson and us.  Arkansas doesn't need Vandy to be competitive.

With Gus, I have said this before about other jobs (specifically the K-State one), why would they want Gus?  He has only been a college coach for three years, he needs more experience to land a major conference job.

The second thing that I also said about the K-State job is, why would Gus want this job if they were crazy enough to give it to him?  Tennesee is hiring a new coach so you know they wil be improved.  It is a no win situation.  There is a reason they haven't been to a bowl game since the 80's and what Bobby Johnson did was amazing and isn't likely to happen again anytime soon.

Vandy is not going to be able to hire an established head coach and not every top assistant would want that Vandy job.  Therefore, Gus just might be a fit and I believe he would do a very good job there. 

HoopS

Quote from: okiehawg on November 18, 2008, 11:09:21 am

Like it or not, his name is out there and recognized and somebody will eventually try him out.  And if Vandy feels the way you do about it not being likely to happen anytime soon, why not roll the dice on one of the hottest coordiantors currently?

HotlantaHog

I think Gus's first head-coaching job is at Tulsa, when the current coach gets hired by somebody else.

GuvHog

November 18, 2008, 11:23:38 am #6 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:44:42 am by GUVHOG
Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 18, 2008, 10:34:00 am

``We’re told Clemson Athletic Director will continue to interview candidates and that a move in another direction is not out the realm of possibilities. However, a Johnson hire seems more likely than not.''

If Vandy wins out you can bet they're not going to let Johnson go without a fight and that's a
University with very deep Pockets. A person who gets their Degree from Vanderbilt will make a huge amount of money. If the Alumni and boosters want Johnson to stay they'll have no trouble
coming up with more than enough money and perks to make it more than well worth his while.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Hogdomer

Quote from: GUVHOG on November 18, 2008, 11:23:38 am
If Vandy wins out you can bet they're not going to let Johnson go without a fight and that's a
University with very deep Pockets. A person who gets their Degree from Vanderbilt will make a huge amonut of money. If the Alumni and boosters want Johnson to stay they'll have no trouble
coming up with more than enough money and perks to make it more than well worth his while.

Vandy doesn't care that much about football.  Their facilities and tradition are the worst in the conference.  They got rid of their athletic department.  In short, Vandy is one of those "academic schools" and will never get into a bidding war with schools like Clemson for coaches.

HoopS

November 18, 2008, 11:30:34 am #8 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:32:18 am by HoopS
Quote from: GUVHOG on November 18, 2008, 11:23:38 am
University with very deep Pockets. A person who gets their Degree from Vanderbilt will make a huge amonut of money. If the Alumni and boosters want Johnson to stay they'll have no trouble

I can personally confirm the deep pockets comment.   Vandy has, however, lost great coaches before - or at least coaches they felt were great for them.  Dinardo comes to mind.  LSU got him away and he didn't last.  Vandy would have gladly retained him for years, I know this for a fact.  There is always a fear deep in their minds that when they get a good coach, the big powers will pluck him away.  They'll take some pride in that, but will be hurt at the same time.   Clemson would be getting a fine coach in Johnson. 

Quote from: Hogdomer on November 18, 2008, 11:28:57 am
Vandy doesn't care that much about football.  Their facilities and tradition are the worst in the conference.  They got rid of their athletic department.  In short, Vandy is one of those "academic schools" and will never get into a bidding war with schools like Clemson for coaches.

and looking at my post, let me clarify.   I know they have some deep pockets, but like you said, I don't think they'll outbid a Clemson. 

Boardon Hamsay

IF Johnson turns out to be the hire over Muschamp, the Clemson boards will be saturated with "We hired Vandy's coach outrage" threads.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

GuvHog

Quote from: rlh06 on November 18, 2008, 11:37:33 am
IF Johnson turns out to be the hire over Muschamp, the Clemson boards will be saturated with "We hired Vandy's coach outrage" threads.

True, but once Johnson's Clemson teams start kicking some ACC Butt, they'll forget that he was
Vandy's coach.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HotlantaHog

There is a lot of support for Muschamp at Clemson, but BOOM! may well end up at another top job. He could well end up at Knoxville.

okiehawg

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 18, 2008, 11:15:14 am
I think Gus's first head-coaching job is at Tulsa, when the current coach gets hired by somebody else.

I think this or just about any other mid-major job or major coordinator job will be the next stop for Gus.  Not HC for a BCS conference just yet though.

By the way, Clemson is stupid if they don't want Bobby Johnson. 

idochog

I see Bobby Johnson as a similiar coach to Grobe.  He would do well at Clemson IMO
I love Jesus!

okiehawg

Quote from: idochog on November 18, 2008, 11:57:35 am
I see Bobby Johnson as a similiar coach to Grobe.  He would do well at Clemson IMO

I think that is a fair assessment.  He isn't going to be the next great coach but he will be very successful in my opinion.

RazorBassin

Grobe would win the ACC every year at Clemson with that talent.(He has almost done it at Wake)  So, if Bobby Johnson is that type of Coach, watch out ACC.

HoopS

I'll make the same argument for Johnson to Clemson as I did Grobe to us. 

His teams are fundamentally solid.  They play smart ball.  And he does this while being severly restrained by the level of student in the term "student-athlete" he can recruit.   Imagine what he could do with more top-notch quality. 

Like Paul Johnson, he'll be a very good, but not a sexy choice for someone. 

psooie

November 18, 2008, 12:19:02 pm #17 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 12:21:29 pm by psooie
 ;D the carousel is fun to watch...maybe tommy bowden will go to vandy, he did OK at tulane...yeah the vols should make a run at grobe

OTTER

Johnson would be a great hire for Clemson.  There is no doubt he can develop a winner there.  And around, and around, we go; where it all stops, nobody knows!!!!
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

oldfart

bobby johnson has done one h*ll of a job at vandy, if clemson does not hire him someone else surely will.

fu-man-soo

fu-man-soo

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on November 18, 2008, 11:14:54 am
Vandy is not going to be able to hire an established head coach and not every top assistant would want that Vandy job.  Therefore, Gus just might be a fit and I believe he would do a very good job there. 

they hired bobby johnson

Bobby Johnson is as good or better than 60 percent of the SEC coaches.  He would put a winner on the field at Clemson.  Gus should stay away from Vandy even if offered.  Vandy is a little better than Tulsa in football but Vandy plays in a much better conference than C-USA.  He could near always play for the championship at Tulsa but isn't likely to ever break even in the SEC at Vandy.  Places like Vandy are usually coach killers. 

RazorNoles

Quote from: 12247 on November 18, 2008, 09:22:40 pm
Bobby Johnson is as good or better than 60 percent of the SEC coaches.  He would put a winner on the field at Clemson.  Gus should stay away from Vandy even if offered.  Vandy is a little better than Tulsa in football but Vandy plays in a much better conference than C-USA.  He could near always play for the championship at Tulsa but isn't likely to ever break even in the SEC at Vandy.  Places like Vandy are usually coach killers. 

Gus would not be able to recruit the type of players needed for his offense at Vandy....plain and simple.

yraciv

November 18, 2008, 09:34:47 pm #24 Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 09:37:41 pm by yraciv
Quote from: 12247 on November 18, 2008, 09:22:40 pm

Are we sure about that 60 percent?  I don't know if you can conclude that just from his resume.  We've still got Spurrier, Saban, Richt, Petrino, Meyer, Tuberville, and even Fulmer that I think are better then him, definately more proven.  Then we've got a coach like Rich Brooks that I'd put on the same level. Nutt, Croom, and yes Les Miles are the coaches I would put below him.  Thats not a knock because this is the best conference in America.  Johnson still has an overall losing record...even if it is Vandy.  He never won a playoff game at Furman, and this will be his first season to make a bowl.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

PotBelliedPig29

Quote from: yraciv on November 18, 2008, 09:34:47 pm
Are we sure about that 60 percent?  I don't know if you can conclude that just from his resume.  We've still got Spurrier, Saban, Richt, Petrino, Meyer, Tuberville, and even Fulmer that I think are better then him, definately more proven.  Then we've got a coach like Rich Brooks that I'd put on the same level. Nutt, Croom, and yes Les Miles are the coaches I would put below him.  Thats not a knock because this is the best conference in America.  Johnson still has an overall losing record...even if it is Vandy.  He never won a playoff game at Furman, and this will be his first season to make a bowl.

Les Miles has a National Championship. Do not put him in the last tier of SEC coaches. His NC is just as legit as Urban Meyers. 
"I'm very excited to be the head coach at Ole Miss University'' -HDN

"We are too" -Arkansas

hogstuckinaz

you are all wrong gus is going to be offered a job in obama's cabinet.

secretary of department of man-love security

The real Hogules

While I admire the job Bobby johnson has done at Vandy I seriously doubt that he lands the Clemson head coaching gig.

I believe that Clemson is headed in another direction.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

hogfan064

This is just someone guessing.

If Dabo Sweeney wins out he's the next Clemson coach.  Bobby Johnson won't be Clemson's coach.

Razorfox

You know who will be happier about this move than anyone else?  Coach Nutt.  That guy has had a hell of a time beating Vandy since he has been their coach. 

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: fu-man-soo on November 18, 2008, 01:14:32 pm
they hired bobby johnson

I should have more accurately stated that Vandy would not be able to hire an established D-1 Head Coach.  Johnson went to Vandy from Furman.  No knock on the smaller division coaches because I believe there are some very good ones.  However, I just believe that if Johnson leaves Vandy they would be wise to go after a "up and coming" Assistant Coach.

Vandy is a lot like some of the other smaller "stepping-stone" schools in that it's a double edge sword; i.e. if they are successful they are not likely to keep their coach.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: hogfan064 on November 19, 2008, 08:06:47 am
This is just someone guessing.

If Dabo Sweeney wins out he's the next Clemson coach.  Bobby Johnson won't be Clemson's coach.

I think this may end up being right. Terry Don supposedly loves Dabo and would like to hire him if he can. There is a groundswell of support among fans for Dabo too.

hogfan064

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 19, 2008, 09:05:37 am
I think this may end up being right. Terry Don supposedly loves Dabo and would like to hire him if he can. There is a groundswell of support among fans for Dabo too.

Yes, the Tiger fans love the goofy guy. I think he's too immature to be a HC right now, but Tiger fans love his antics.

Beat South Carolina and he'll win lots of fans. Lose to them and he's out the door

Chappeee

Yes, we do have a fist full of good coaches in the SEC but I doubt any of them could have done a better job at Vandy than Bobby Johnson.  I would take him over Nutt, Croom, Miles, Brooks, Fulmer, Richt, and Tuberville.  I see him equal to what Spurrier has done recently and truthfully Petrino too.  I think I'd take Meyer and Saban ahead of him. So yeah, he is right there in the top 40 percent in the SEC.

PorkSoda

Quote from: psooie on November 18, 2008, 12:19:02 pm
;D the carousel is fun to watch...maybe tommy bowden will go to vandy, he did OK at tulane...yeah the vols should make a run at grobe
I'm just glad it was not us this time.  with the names being thrown around last year, I was just waiting for our administration to make a terrible blunder.  They probably would have if petrino didn't want the job so bad.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on November 18, 2008, 11:14:54 am

Good point - but Vandy could be the kiss of death to a promising career.  If I were Gus, I'd hold out for a job with a better prospect for success.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

The Realist

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on November 19, 2008, 05:02:10 pm
Good point - but Vandy could be the kiss of death to a promising career.  If I were Gus, I'd hold out for a job with a better prospect for success.
Gus' system could work at Vandy.  They have athletes. 
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

yraciv

Quote from: PotBelliedPig29 on November 19, 2008, 01:35:33 am
Les Miles has a National Championship. Do not put him in the last tier of SEC coaches. His NC is just as legit as Urban Meyers. 

Kudos on the national championship, but I think Les Miles isn't going to get them back there.  Yeah they keep bringing in talent, but a little better than this year is what you can start to expect in the future.  They'll always be good, but I don't think Miles has it to get them back with his players.  Not to mention that his gambling has almost bit him in the ass multiple times.  Everyone knows that with a good coach, LSU would have beat us last year.  Just my opinion though!

For comparisons sake...  Les Miles is 66-28, 38-24 in conference, and 4-2 in bowl games, with two bcs wins, 1 national championship.    Note that that is 8 years w/ major conference teams.  Urban Meyer also has 8 years, but that was at Bowling Green 2, Utah 2, and Florida 4.  His career record is 78-17, 49-14 in conference, also 4-1 in bowls, 2-1 in bcs games w/ a national championship.  He turned a 5-6 Utah team into 10 wins, and then a perfect season.  He turned Bowling Green around just as quickly.  Miles hasn't done crap compared to Urban Meyer.

Nashville Fan

Bobby will not go anywhere this year. Vandy will pony up the dough. If he has two winning seasons, then there might not be enough money in Nashville to keep him.
Pittman or Bust!

DeltaBoy

I am just watching and Waiting. I predict Gary Patterson at TCU will be richer in FW or somewhere else next fall. He has done too good at TCU in Fort Worth to stay much longer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Doyle Hograves

Quote from: The Realist on November 19, 2008, 05:05:13 pm
Gus' system could work at Vandy.  They have athletes. 

But Vanderbilt is still in the SEC, and we all know Gus's offense will not work in the SEC. ;)
***Proud Champion of the Tavern's March Maddest 2021 Tournament***

Quote from: Throwback1 on May 07, 2008, 02:11:15 pm
topic says "President"..I can assure you he knew what he was typing.

DeltaBoy

If Johnson goes to CU the rest of the ACC better watch their backs.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hognum P.I.

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 20, 2008, 11:03:45 am
I am just watching and Waiting. I predict Gary Patterson at TCU will be richer in FW or somewhere else next fall. He has done too good at TCU in Fort Worth to stay much longer.

I thought K-State had already hired Gary Patterson?
http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/qq95/arkchirodoc/th_Obamastan.jpg

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried!

StewDogg11

He'd be a fool to not go to Clemson; easier to recruit and he wouldn't be handcuffed by the strict Vandy academic requirements.

jackflash

For me Clemson is the best job available. Terry Don may hired from within, but bet he better look outside first.

okiehawg

I still can't believe no one else has hired Johnson.  He has done a great job at Vandy.