Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vanderbilt's defense

Started by Torqued pork, September 05, 2005, 08:40:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Torqued pork

Does anyone know how good Vandy's defense is supposed to be?

pioneerbasketball

I know they gave away quite a few rushing yards against vandy.

Torqued pork

pioneerbasketball

ya..good catch..lol..its labor day and i haven't touched the beer yet.Vandy gave up 274 yards rushing and 198 yards passing. For a total of 472 yards.

Torqued pork

tophawg19

we can run on these guys but they can pass on us should be a good game
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jabohog

Mistakes seem to have killed WF. They had two turnovers, one at the 5 of Vandy plus 65 yards in penalties.
Vandy has an experienced team. If we don't cure the mistakes, they will be hard to beat.

pioneerbasketball

If we can control the game clock and run on them we should have no problem with vandy.

Torqued pork

I hope the Hogs win big, but I would like to see our passing game tested more before the USC game. I know our pass defense will be tested by Vandy's QB.

pioneerbasketball

I figure reggie herring will light them up in practice

RAZ FAN

Light them up indeed. Their butts are probably still on fire from Sat. He got so mad and yelling at one point he punched a hole in the dry erase board, threw it down, and walked off cursing. I got scared and I was a few rows behind the bench. He will get things worked out I sure.

Bomis Hawg

Scouting Vandy's defense.

They have a two good DL, DT Ralph McKenzie and DE Hardley Harrison.  Their line is decent, but you can run on them.  Micah Andrews, who filled in for Barclay, had a huge night.  They gave up 194 per gane last year.  Even though 274 is a bit much even for Vanderbilt, they gave up gave up nearly 270+ in three games last year.  Wake Forest's line averages 287, all over 6'3".  And, most of them have quality game expierence from last year.

I'd say their offensive numbers might equal to Arkansas.  Ben Mauck is a decent QB.  His arm won't beat you, though.  Decent speed.  Their Line and Backs are their man focal point.

Now, Vandy has some solid LB.  First and foremost of that will be Senior Moses Osemwegie.  Guy is awesome.  Kevin Joyce and Jonathan Goff make up the other two.  Osemwegie had 8 tackles, 2 TFL, and 1 sack with a forced fumble.  The other two had 4 tackles apiece.

Their secondary isn't that great.  Andrew Pace and Josh Allen are two decent CBs.  Guys like Reshard Langford, Sean Dixon, Ben Koger, et al, that make up the rest are decent fillers, but they won't survive a the long test of the SEC. 

With that said, Arkansas should move the ball effectively on the ground.  I expect more passing.  They should be able to do it on this team.  I think you can beat the Osemwegie will come on a few blitz packages.  Hopefully, Arkansas will have him scouted well.  Thing thing that should worry you, in my view, is the Linebackers.  They are solid.  This is a team that should be tested deep, or just hammer them on the run.

Jay Cutler and Erik Davis are two Seniors who know each other well.  Good timed passes from Jay, especially to Davis.  I don't think you should worry more now that they beat Wake on the road.  The two RS Frosh corners that started -- Alphonso Smith (3 PBU; 6 tackles) and Kevin Patterson (1 PBU) -- filled in fine.  The FS John Gattis, Jr., got the only INT.  I think our secondary is better talent wise.  They seemed to keep Jeff Jennings in check, which is not a good RB.  The former LB had a 2.9 YPC last year.  He had 43 (5.4) on Saturday, but thats nothing to work up.  Cutler's use of the option might be the only worry to their offensive running game.

I still think Arkansas could easily win by 3 TD.  They will cover the 11-point spread.  Early betters have the line about right.  I think Arkansas needs to shut down the intermediate passing game, Cutler's option game, and find a way to get to Cutler.  On offense, they can run and run all day liekly.  But, I want to test these CBs deep, the LB shouldn't drift to far back.