Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What Final Score Would It Take Against Vandy to Make You Feel Optimistic?

Started by WilsonHog, September 04, 2005, 06:57:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Last year they finished 1-7 in the SEC, and lost three conference games by a total of 9 points against Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Tennessee. However, they also lost to Georgia by 30, LSU by 17, Florida by 17, and South Carolina by 24.

Something along the order of 31-10 would suit me fine, provided that we keep the ball of the ground, avoid penalties, have something resembling a balanced attack, and see marked improvement in the special teams.

In other words, a "clean" 31-10 would give me some reason to believe that we might win 7 or 8 games this year.  There are very few things that I take on faith, and Razorback football sure ain't one of 'em. Given that fact, and given Vandy's performance against Ole Miss and Tennessee last year, I have one more question..........

What would the effect on our program and HDN's future be if we lost to Vandy?

Adam Stokes

A touchdown.  They were 1 and 7 last year, but that means they can only get better.  Some aren't even sure if we will win it, but I think we will, by about 14 points, but a touchdown is all I'm looking for.

Lanny

14 point win, strong showing from the passing game and the defense dominates the line of scrimmage or this is going to be a loooooooooooooooooog season.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Bomis Hawg

I have followed Vandy for a while now.  If  Vandy beats Arkansas, then yes, Broyles should have a long thinking process of him staying or not.

I think the secondary played fairly well last night.  Cutler was throwing at two Frosh against Wake.  I doubt he does that well.  The running game should be shutdown of Vandy.  The intermediate routes will be the hard part, which is what Vandy likes to do.  They'll hit Erik Davis a few times for short gains.

Micah Andrews blew up v. Vandy.  He did have an average of over 6 as a RS Frosh.  Barclay, a 1000 yard rusher, was out due to suspension.  I think Arkansas has a little more in the backfield than they do.  And, the OL should a little better.

Looking at it, I think Arkansas should probably cover the spread.  I'm looking at Arkansas to win 14-21.  If Arkansas wins by less than 7, then I might be wondering about the rest of the year.  I fully expect a good win.  Jay Cutler will not be able to do what he did against Wake. 

35-14?  I'll take that.

WindyCityHog

Optimistic?  One more point than they have.....seriously.....but I don't see where the panic comes from.....

Arkansas 34
Vanderbilt  20

....but that will be enough to have many say the sky is falling.  Such is life as an Arkansas Razorback fan these days.

My beefs?  Special teams mainly.

We have posters using the race card.....we have posters lamenting the lack of a passing game last night (I'll admit that's at least somewhat justified)....We have posters ticked that we ONLY beat a halfassed D1AA team by 32 (although that did beat the spread given by one Hog Bounty Hunter.....the difference DID surpass Mizzou's margin of victory over ASU).....ad nauseum.

What did we really expect?

Next week, Jay Cutler will look sensational.....but that won't be enough to beat the Hogs.  Seriously.  Cutler is a stud.....Vandy ain't.

Best-case scenario.....Hogs barely beat the Commodores.  That way, the "moral victory" over the mighty Trojans won't seem so insignificant....Ain't that right Hog Bounty?

WindyCityHog

Prediction?

The Hogs will rush for 400+ against the Commodores.....and keep Cutler under 300+ passing yards....

RJ will again struggle in the passing game.....

34-20.

HogDodging

As long as we have one more point than the other team, that's all I want.  The most important thing is to look like we actually know what we're doing.
If we play catch up against Vandy, at our place, and manage to eek out a win in the last five minutes of the 4th quarter, that doesn't bode well for a successful season.
Now, if we come out hitting our passes, and making solid tackles, and win going away, I may have to revise my 5-6 prediction to 6-5.

WindyCityHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on September 04, 2005, 08:56:21 pm
As long as we have one more point than the other team, that's all I want. The most important thing is to look like we actually know what we're doing.
If we play catch up against Vandy, at our place, and manage to eek out a win in the last five minutes of the 4th quarter, that doesn't bode well for a successful season.
Now, if we come out hitting our passes, and making solid tackles, and win going away, I may have to revise my 5-6 prediction to 6-5.

A very sunny disposition :D

Arkapigdiesel

If we can win by AT LEAST two TD's I will feel that we may have a chance at a successful year.  If we look so-so and squeak out a victory then things will not be good for the remainder of the season IMO.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 04, 2005, 06:57:57 pm
Last year they finished 1-7 in the SEC, and lost three conference games by a total of 9 points against Ole Miss, Kentucky, and Tennessee. However, they also lost to Georgia by 30, LSU by 17, Florida by 17, and South Carolina by 24.

Something along the order of 31-10 would suit me fine, provided that we keep the ball of the ground, avoid penalties, have something resembling a balanced attack, and see marked improvement in the special teams.

In other words, a "clean" 31-10 would give me some reason to believe that we might win 7 or 8 games this year.  There are very few things that I take on faith, and Razorback football sure ain't one of 'em. Given that fact, and given Vandy's performance against Ole Miss and Tennessee last year, I have one more question..........

Surely White would allow the firing of Nutt....the immediate firing....if we lost to Vandy.

Fletch

I am sticking with my 7-4 prediction but to agree with Windy, I think special teams should be the major concern. There will be at least one game that will be won or lost b/c of special teams.
I feel like $100

WindyCityHog

Quote from: HogInMemphis on September 04, 2005, 09:07:26 pm

Surely White would allow the firing of Nutt....the immediate firing....if we lost to Vandy.

Won't happen.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: WindyCityHog on September 04, 2005, 09:14:34 pm

Won't happen.

Could.

HogInMemphis

Quote from: Fletch on September 04, 2005, 09:07:39 pm
There will be at least one game that will be won or lost b/c of special teams.

Only about 150 people on these boards say that every season. And they're right every season. So, nice original though.

Flatfoot

Johnson look very weak against a inferior opponent last night.  He will have to improve immensely to stack up against SEC opponents.  If RJ can't get the ball down the field then every defense will be putting 8 or 9 in the box to stop the run.  USC will put up 50 on us in a hurry.  Fletch, Windy, and others are right on about the special teams need drastic improvement. 

Shibest was one of my favorite recievers of all time on the hill, but as a coach his special team schemes are questionable.  The high pooch kickoff is the most ridiculous things I have ever seen.  Gives them great field position every time they try this silly thing.  Kick the damn ball off and let your gunners on the outside, with their speed, do the job that they are planned to do.  If everyone gives an honest opinion on here about our special teams, we have not had a SEC caliber special team since Shibest got here and took the job.

We better beat Vandy by two touchdowns and have a 27-10 type of game.  This would give me hope for the future.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

Slacker

" What Final Score Would It Take Against Vandy to Make You Feel Optimistic?"

Man, I don't know.

I don't mind telling you, Vandi is not a given. After last night's performance.

I'm not sure about any of the team.

Not sure about RJ, not sure about AM. Didn't see enough of CB to make a judgement.

We saw  uncharactaristic slippery hands of Hillis and Monk at times. Yet 3 TB's massed 100+ yards. 

The defense looked both great and horrible. The Draw killed us many many many times. I had flash backs of the Bama game the way the draw was working against us. 

Our kicking team sucks.

If we play Vandi  the way we did against Missouri State, it could be grim.

As I've said for several months. Vandi is the litmus test. I honestly don't know what to expect. I do know this. I hope for a win.

[attachment deleted by admin]

WindyCityHog

Ditto Slacker....

Well said.

I am going to refer to Vandy as "Litmus U" all week....

....but that only means we're going to be competitive against USC....which I still beleive.

Oklahawg

I've been tossing about in my own mind how much of our "struggles" vs. MSU were accepted by the coaches so that they could conceal things from Vandy, USC, etc. Penalties? No. Poor kicking and kick coverage? No. Fumbles? Hell, no.

I'm talking about vanilla defense packages, for the most part. Zero passes between the numbers. No screens of any type. Very few misdirections. No waggles with RJ on the corner (what opposing folks will remember from watching MJ last year). No TE worked into the passing scheme. Very pedestrian running package.

Hey, we didn't need anything else to win. We saw lots of folks on the field and learned a lot. We have a solid running game. We have better defensive pursuit and made a pleasing number of plays behind the LOS. We suck when kicking the ball. We have a decent PR in Coe and solid KRs in Hillis and Jones.

Anyone else pleased that the defense made adjustments DURING THE GAME, as opposed to at halftime, if then?

How much more will we be willing to reveal if we can win without it vs. Vandy? I think HDN would take a 17-16 win if he could hold most of the playbook in reserve for another week.

I will watch for:

1. Changes in the defensive rotation. Will Moore move in front of Dacus at MLB? Will the DT rotation get solidified? Are Snider and Sims the DEs who will get the bulk of playing time?
2. Can we limit the 20-yard plays? Can't let a team with questionable talent (compared to the league at large) score on 3-5 play drives courtesy of huge plays.
3. Can we frustrate or pressure Cutler? He's a good QB and if we can get him to adapt his game based on our defense then we can feel good about where Herring is taking the defense.
4. Will we have to open the playbook (more than we did vs MSU) to win?

I think 31-17 is reasonable. Cutler and Co will have more weapons, only to be counteracted by an improved effort #2 by Herring's Heroes. HDN is satisfied with the offensive output and keeps the cloak of secrecy over what we really plan to do. Until USC in week #3.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WindyCityHog

CorningHog

The news being posted was exactly as I figured it would be.  I told my brothers, who both have posted and read things on Hogville, that the Nutt haters would begin howling and saying it is going to be a long season, no QB, passing game sucks, defense sucks.....yadayada.

What is hilarious is the same people that say we sucked and played poorly, also say that if we don't beat Vandy by 21 pts or more, then we truly do suck.

First off, any SEC win is a good one!  Vandy has some good players and experience and they took Tennessee to the final plays last year if I remember correctly and it was a late season game.  They have good talent and execute very well.  Well coached and so on and so on.  Forget predicting a blowout and expecting one.  IF it happens then be "elated" but remember, we have a young team also, more experience than we had last year and a chance to be very good offensively with the defense hopefully getting better each week.  We still look a little suspect at DE's and LB's.  Sims seemed to be very slow to react and was sucked inside a lot guessing the plays and looked half speed while doing so.  Brown was hit and miss too, but they only got burned a few times from what I saw.  The LB's were out of position at times with Pierre Brown doing some nice stuff, Dacus looked good at times and Butu at times but overall I thought the LB's were about a "C".  Randy Kelly looked pathetic at times as well, the effort and desire to get his jersey dirty was evident and he missed at least 2 or 3 easy tackles from poor effort.  IF we have to continue to watch him play like that as our free safety it is sad.  Surely Herring will find another guy for that job.  Vickiel Vaughn played very well, I was impressed with him a lot.  Secondary looked very sharp for the first game as well.

Offensive line, secondary on defense seem our strengths and I will say that I hope that if D Howard is our true starter or 2nd tailback, that he is playing there by earning it.  I thought he ran hard most of the time except for a few "Tiptoeing jaunts" in the first qtr when he seemed satisfied running into our lineman and falling down at first contact.  He certainly seems like 4th string to me behind Hillis, Jones and McFadden.  That is my take after watching 2 scrimmages and 1 game in person.  The receivers need to fight harder when the ball is in the air and quit slowing down on their routes.  The passing game will be much better than what we saw last night.  So everyone needs to calm down.  ONE thing Nutt did last night was just hit the edges on pass routes and he mainly ran the "vanilla" stuff.  I saw a whole lot more creativity and much better execution in the practice I watched and there was lots of stuff that was not shown at all Saturday night.

I hope that we get into a better flow on offense but I know that last night was streaky for a first game and a new QB as well as us not wishing to run everything in our offense.  I am not sure I agree with that since we need to gel quickly with playing USC so soon but Nutt is the HC so I will trust him.  MY thoughts are, throw the majority of the playbook at an opponent and give the next teams defense something to practice for in one week.  BUT.....USC has 2 weeks to practice on us so maybe I agree now that I think about it.  Better to give USC just one week to practice on our stuff.  Plus, let them work on our running game and then as we work in the "screens" and the TE, plus all the different routes I saw this fall in practice will give them "PLENTY" to worry about soon enough after Vandy, IF we use them.

The only concern I had after last night was with our LB's.  I think our DE's will be fine, but Fairchild and Graham need to probably find themselves playing about 1/4 or more as our OLB's.  Fairchild looked good and can react quickly to the play.  It is hard to get a read yet anyway, so after Vandy, we will certainly know a whole lot MORE about these 2005 Hogs!

Liked the Jerseys personally, although my good friend thought we were messing with Razorback Tradition and said we better go back to the old ones.

GO HOGS!

Prediction;  Arkansas 35  Vandy 17

This will be a great test and show us more where we stand.

THEN ITS ON TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Oklahawg

I'd start Jones this week to remind Hillis he can't be fumbling. Howard is #4 in my depth chart. Both Hillis and Jones are options out of the backfield--what a combo to have on the field at once. I didn't recall seeing Poole in the backfield as much as at flanker. Probably his true calling.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Anti-OtisII

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 04, 2005, 10:49:37 pm
I'd start Jones this week to remind Hillis he can't be fumbling. Howard is #4 in my depth chart. Both Hillis and Jones are options out of the backfield--what a combo to have on the field at once. I didn't recall seeing Poole in the backfield as much as at flanker. Probably his true calling.

Well, I heard on the news tonight that C. Moore will be starting in place of W. Dacus after last night so you've already called that one correctly.  Maybe they will listen and give Jones the start against Vandy.  I'm in agreement and think we need to find more offensive schemes to get both Hillis and Jones on the field at the same time.  That is just too much talent to not be on the field for the majority of the offensive plays.  Now if one of them gets hurt, we can fall back on our vanilla offense with Kennedy solely as a blocking FB, but in the time being those guys need to be on the field as much as possible.

BTW, I think we need a 10+ point margin for me to keep some optimism although I will settle for any win at this point.  If predicting a score, I would go with 28-17 Hogs.

Hogger

Quote from: HogInMemphis on September 04, 2005, 09:15:38 pm

Won't happen.

Could.
Quote from: HogInMemphis on September 04, 2005, 09:15:38 pm

Won't happen.

Could.

Not happening.  The last thing you want to do to a football program is to throw a wrecking ball at it in the middle of the season.  Let the season determine the outcome of a coach's head, not a game. 

I'm sorry.  Unless you are an Alabama, Auburn, or Florida in the SEC.  Then crazy shite like that is acceptable.

Reb-87

14 pt difference b/c this will be a good warm up for matt lienhart

Republican Lard

We had several dropped passes.  When you can run the ball, just run the ball all night long.   No need to show any more than you have to on either side of the ball.

I have been posting for years that our kicking game has been awful for years and it was bad again Saturday night. 

prairiehog

I want to see ball control. I want to see no turnovers on offense. I want to see the defense hold them for no big plays. I want to see monk catch a ball over the other teams head. I want to see players act like they have been in a ballgame before, down to business.  :razorback:

texhog

As a Vandy alum, I know this about Vandy.  With their poor football reputation, opponents tend to take them lightly; especially SEC opponents.  If the Hogs don't come out strong, Vandy will play them closely and may even take a lead into the 2nd half.  But inevitably, the Vandy opponent always seems to "wake up" sometime in the 4th quarter when they realize the game is not yet decided.  Once this happens, it usually doesn't take long for them to catch up to and pass Vandy on the scoreboard.  The risk is that the opponent waits too late to "wake up".  This scenario plays out several times each season for Vandy.  And the early SEC opponent is especially vulnerable.  The Hogs had better strap their helmets on and take control early.  Remember, Vandy is able to recruit some good SEC caliber players.  Of course no where as many as the other SEC schools, but it should not be a surprise to anyone if Vandy plays very tough.  They want to prove themselves as worth just as much as any other team. 

hawgfan_18

If our defense dominates i will be very optimistic, because the run game is there and the passing game can only get better, so we should be set.

bigred7987

Vandy either comes to play and they lose barely...i.e. Ole Miss Miss State UT last year or they just go in and get dominated from the beginning.  Jay Cutler is the best throwing QB in the SEC but nobody cares because he plays for Vandy.  If this game is close people shouldnt get scared because thats just the way vandy is...either fight til the end and lose just because they dont know how to win or just get dominated from beginning.  I say Arkansas wins 31-17 with Vandy putting up a fight until the end when we seal it....people will get on here and talk about how bad we are because Vandy hung with us and continue to say that we wont go to a bowl and Nutt and Herring wont do a thing this year...and that RJ needs to be replaced.  oh wait...that happens anyways

three

I agree, Big Red, people will get on here and bad mouth the program after the Vandy game.  Not because it's going to be close, though, but because we will lose.  Missouri State was a very bad team.  I'm 5'10", 195 lbs., I was bigger than their middle linebacker.  He ran by me at halftime on the sidelines, the guys was very small.  These guys were small, slow, and untalented.  And yet, at the end of the third, the game was still in doubt.  Robert Johnson is a sorry QB, yet he's the best on the roster.  Houston Nutt himself has even said if he could, he'd play Mustain today!  How bad do your QBs have to be for you to prefer a high school kid who's not even on campus this season?  The defense was suspect against the run.  Our own ground game looked pheomenal.....against a bad team.  That 80-yd scamper by Felix would have been a 12-yarder against an SEC opponent.  SEC players are bigger, faster, and meaner, you wont rush for 500 yards against an SEC team, and you can't throw, so how will they move the ball?  I admit, during training camp, I was somewhat encouraged with what I saw from RJ, but after Saturday, I've gone from hoping for, and believing in, 7 wins, to praying for 5.
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do, but you don't get anywhere.