NIT (not turned down
0 (0%)
Positive record but no postseason
1 (12.5%)
Losing record
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Adam Stokes

September 04, 2005, 04:50:42 pm Last Edit: September 04, 2005, 04:59:09 pm by ajs15razorman
     With the first game of football over, what better time to talk about Razorback Basketball?  With 75 days until action, (if you call portland state action), I'm ready to analyse this years players and opponents.

Team                 Conference           Previous Record       Date

Portland State        Big Sky                      17-9               11/18

Should be an easy win for the hogs, Portland lost two key senoirs and shouldn't be anywhere near the record they had last season.

Maui Invitational            November 21-23

Connecticut         Big East                     25-8                 11/21

Should be a very tough match.  We're not as out of it as many think.  ESPN has them ranked very high this year, but that didn't include Price and Williams arrest for selling stolen laptops.  Price, who is the starting PG, is really the only the good PG the team has.  Talking with some Husky fans, they say their PG situation is worse than ours.  They also lost incoming 5-star recruit Andrew Bynum, and Charlie Villanueva (spelling) to the draft, otherwise they'd be the best team in the country.  They do still have Rudy Gay, who in my opinion will be the best player in the nation, and Josh Boone.  I still think we have a great game in store, don't count us out.

Kansas/Arizona                                           11/22

Both teams are excellent, not to mention Kansas had 4- Mickey D all americans coming on the team.   One being Brandon Rush.  My public enemy number one.  Don't want to say too much until we know who we'll be playing.

Chaminade/Michigan State/Maryland/Gonzaga  11/23

Radford            Big South          10-16           11/26

Not much of a threat, not considered to be one of the top 144 preseason teams this year, don't know much about them, doesn't really matter.

Southern Miss         C-USA       8-17                11/30

They've lost a heckload of seniors, about 40 points a game worth.  I do believe their record will improve because they're entering the watered-down conference known as the C-USA, but will be good practice.  They're ranked 133 on collegehoops.net preseason rankings.

Missouri                   Big 12         16-17            12/02

Will certainly improve upon last year, hardly losing any good players.  We beat them last season with the team we had and should be able to do so again, but they will help our RPI SOS.  Might become a border rivalry if both teams continue to improve.

Texas State             Southland   10-14             12/06

Besides the fact they're playing on my birthday, not much to look forward to.

Missouri State           Ohio Valley   11-14           12/15

We spanked them in football and should do the same in basketball, but it won't hurt our schedule because they are division 1-A in basketball.

Rice                         C - USA       17-12           12/17

We're playing at home so it shouldn't be to much of a struggle.  They've lost over 50 points in starters, including Michael Harris, who alone average just over 20 points a game.  Ranked 101 on college hoops preseason poll.

Texas Tech             Big 12           22-11           12/21

Would feel more confident if it was at home, but the one of the few non-conference game we have on the road ahs to be against the best team on the road.  (Maui is nuetral, not the road)  They lost two good seniors, but that's about it from their sweet-16 run last season.  They're ranked two spots above Arkansas in Andy Katz's preseason rankings, but what does he know anyway?

UT-Pan American   Independents          8-16               12/29

Just a late christmas present from Stan to his team, and easy win.

Western Ill            Mid-Con                  9-17               1/1

What better way to please the BWA fans than an easy win on National Hangover day.

Then comes SEC play, but I haven't gotten a good source on the dates, but the good thing about SEC basketball is we know who and how many time's we'll be playing each team.

Alabama                                             24-8

We play them twice, and I'm pretty sure we can split one of the two games.  They have a great team returning after the Wis-Mil upset the ruined my bracket last March.  They have great guards, but are mediocre on the inside.   Top 16 team on Katz's preseason predictions.

Auburn                                                   14-17

Only a 14-17 season last year, but don't let that fool you.  They are greatly improved and I also think we lost one of two to them, but not both games.  I say a 60% chance of winning both, a 50% of winning one and a 10% chance of losing both.  They have a strong 2005 recruiting class coming in to help with some weaknesses.

Ole Miss                                                 14-17

Same Ole same ole for miss.  We should easily win both games as we did last season.

Miss State                                                22-10

Yawn, they lost Lawrence roberts and some other seniors.  Don't expect too much from Miss St. this year.

LSU                                                        20-10

May have lost Brandon bass, but still have Glen Davis to lead the way, I also think we will split one of two, just from misfortune.  We almost beat them twice last year, if the ref would've gotten the call right.  And we might do so again this year.

Kentucky                                                   28-6

If it hadn't been for a double overtime loss to Michigan State, they would've been in the Final Four last year.  Randolph Morris and Azibuke have been to the NBA draft and possibly back, (how did that turnout?)  Anyway, we should lose since we will be in their house, led by sopjmore Rondo, who led the SEC in steals.

Vandy                                                         20-14

Should have a better team this year after losing to memphis in the NIT semis.  But we are playing them in BWA so it should be a win

Florida                                                       24-8

A still a great team, but we play them at home this year.  They've lost David Lee, but this game will be a toss-up.

Georgia, South Carolina and Tennesse shouldn't matter, they haven't improved any. 

There's the wrap-up.  Expect great things and possibly the leaving of Ronnie Brewer.  I think his NBA stock will be too high to pass at the end of the season.  Modica will exit his slump now that Famutimi is gone, and Steven Hill and Townes will be there to block any shot coming their way.  Hopefully Mccurdy will answer our PG problem, if not our inside men will handle things.

In the end, with maybe two losses at Maui, and a possible loss at TT, our non-conference schedule should be 10-3 in my opinoion.  But with a weakening SEC with all the talent that ran away last year, Ark should be pretty set.

I think our team will get a 7 seed, and make it to the second round of the tourney. 

I also think Heath will survive the season, and stay for a couple more seasons.

In the meantime, let's watch some football.

AJS15Razorman

Bomis Hawg

Great work.  If Arkansas can win 11-12 SEC games, I'll be impressed.  That should be a good mark to strive for.  Although, 20 wins would require an 8-8 in the SEC, imo.  I think they are better than  .500 in the SEC.  Looking forward to that season later.

Definitlely should be a seson where they could land a Top 10 seed.