Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Celebration" penalty

Started by The UnderHog, September 04, 2005, 01:19:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The UnderHog

The hogs were called for excessive celebration yesterday after a long defensive TD (player I think may have unstapped his chinstraps when he got into the endzone) to me it appeared very very innocuous and he didn't linger down in the endzone, spike the ball, do the chicken dance or anything like it - to be penalized after a really big play like that with just showing an ounce of enthusiasm is beyond me, when I have seen more excessive displays in 5 minutes of watching WVU and Syracuse today - someone makes a routine tackle and they wave their hand in the "no good" signal, they run over and shake their head over a player like "we bad" - pretty much spikes and wagging the head of players in other games yesterday none of these are called, and we do just a little celebrating after a BIG play and score, and they call it on us - it is just not equitable and sucks bad - the refs and the NCAA needs to be a lot more discerning on this - it really is not fair - what can be done about it? - The UnderHog

3kgthog

I thought they gave Vinnett the penalty for raising his arm and celebrating as he went into the endzone.  Either way, the madness has got to stop. He didn't leap into the crowd, dunk over the goalpost, or pull a cellphone from under the goal post pad.

HogDodging

That referee was pulling the flag out just as Vinnett was crossing the goal line.  It was an anticipation call.  The only thing is, Vinnett didn't do anything worthy of the penalty.  It was a bogus call.

Cleve Dean

The ref made the correct call.

This was a point of emphasis during the offseason. The act of "pointing your finger in the air while running towards the endzone" was not specifically mentioned... but from the other criteria stated in the rule below, it certainly falls under their definition of unsportsman like acts.

While I don't necessarily agree with the rule, it wasn't a secret to any coaches... if they haven't informed their players of the strict enforcement of these rules... then it is ultimately thier fault.

Rule 9-2-1-a-1-a
Unsportsmanlike acts. Added listing of examples developed by CCA supervisors of
officials and others to this section to encourage more consistent application of this rule:
"Examples of such acts include, but are not limited to:
--Imitating a slash of the throat;
--Resembling the firing of a weapon;
--Bowing at the waist;
--Punching one's own chest excessively;
--Crossing one's arms in front of the chest;
--Placing one's hand by the ear as if to indicate that the player cannot hear the spectators;
--Diving into the end zone when unchallenged by an opponent;
--Entering the end zone with an unnatural stride (e.g., high stepping);
--Going significantly beyond the end line to interact with spectators;
--Standing over a prone player in a taunting manner;
--Attempting to make the ball spin as it were a top;
--Performing a choreographed act with a teammate(s) (e.g., pretending to take a photo,
falling down in unison); and
--Entering the field of play by coaches or substitutes in protest of officials' calls."

Additionally, the committee added language to the rule that reads: "Spontaneous
celebrating with teammates on the field of play, provided it is not prolonged, taunting or
intended to bring attention to the individual player, is allowed."

Rationale: By providing a list of examples, the committee hopes to assist officials to
consistently enforce this penalty. Also, the committee believes there are some situations
in which celebration penalties are flagged where the celebration was spontaneous and not
excessive or prolonged. This isn't a lessening of the penalty, but a reminder that team
celebrations encouragement should be allowed.

JFHWGBKRIII

Thanks, Cleve.  He did the hands on ears thing.  It was obvious on the replay on the pig screen.

Torqued pork

The NCAA is fighting PETA for the title of the most anal orginization in the nation.

snoutface

Sometimes it's better for me to be quiet and let everybody believe I'm dumb as dirt, than to speak up and prove it.

arkhogdog61

IF YOU CAN"T RUN WITH THE BIG DOGS STAY ON THE PORCH!