Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coach "National Championship under Destruction" Nutt

Started by HognotinMemphis, February 06, 2008, 02:16:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

never got every in-state player he wanted in 10 years of recruiting at Arkansas. Petrino does it (with signing of Joe Adams) in 2 months on the job.

How did Nutt fail so miserably comparatively speaking? I thought Nutt was a player's coach and a great recruiter? Apparently not all recruits and their families bought Nutt's BS style and tactics.

Petrino comes to Ark in December and in less than 2 months not only holds together what Nutt started but improved upon it by leaps and bounds, including taking Adams away from So Cal. Nutt could never have done that because he can't coach the passing game. Cannot wait for the Ole Miss game next fall to see the boring running attack that Nutt will coach.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

BartIV

Nutt became comfortable at Arkansas and thought he was untouchable.. 
He just went after what he thought he could get and didn't work at anything else.  That is what happens when someone thinks they are untouchable.

SultanofSwine

Tomhog™

Nutt lost out due to poor planning and evaluating on in-state talent.  Nutt also didn't go hard after recruits the in-staters that were sought after by big-time schools (Auburn and USC).  Petrino has no problem going head to head. 

BartIV

Nutt went on the policy of if you were born and raised in Arkansas, you should just want to come to Arkansas and shouldn't have to be recruited.  He wanted people who loved the helmet.

OnYourToes

It is also a philosophy thing.

Nutt = Play not to lose.
Petrino = Play to win.

Nutt wanted to do just enough to win 7-8 games a year and keep his job and make his money.

Petrino wants to excell and expects to win every game he coaches and plans for.  The pay check is nice but that is not his goal at this job, it's winning.
He is not afraid to ge head to head with anyone in the country and after this season heads will be turned to Arkansas as a contender in every since of the word.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

RazorSAE

It's a difference in their mindset.  BP will bust his arse on the recruiting trail and sell kids on why they should want to be Razorbacks, where Nutt didn't want to put forth the effort.

cpohog

I was just sitting here thinking the same thing!

Coach Petrino has accomplished in less than 2 months what the former staff could not do in 10 years.

OnYourToes

Quote from: cpohog on February 06, 2008, 02:25:21 pm
I was just sitting here thinking the same thing!

Coach Petrino has accomplished in less than 2 months what the former staff could not do in 10 years.

So Coach Petrino has done more with less (time) already. ;)

I can't wait to see how far we can go!
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

jgphillips3

Also, this is the difference between a "professional" football coach and a used car salesman.  The dork's days are over.  I am sure he will sneak up and beat us some year, maybe this one, but the last few happy years he will ever have as a D-1 coach are upon him and the permanent slide into obscurity will begin shortly thereafter.  Thank you Petrino for having something to offer quality in-state athletes that will encourage them to stay here and improve our program.

Bigfoot

Quote from: Tomhog™ on February 06, 2008, 02:19:11 pm
Nutt lost out due to poor planning and evaluating on in-state talent.  Nutt also didn't go hard after recruits the in-staters that were sought after by big-time schools (Auburn and USC).  Petrino has no problem going head to head. 
Great point!

OTTER

We are so lucky to be rid of Nutt, golden handcuffs and all, and double lucky to have Petrino.  The new day has arrived and I'm proud to be a Hog fan.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Smolder

Quote from: BartIV on February 06, 2008, 02:18:40 pm
He just went after what he thought he could get and didn't work at anything else.  That is what happens when someone thinks they are untouchable.

I think this is pretty accurate. He got complacent and thought that everyone would be happy witth 7-5 seasons.  He thought that he could never get highly regarded players so he didnt even try.

lovetthog1

FATBACKHAWG

I thought he just recruited players to play hoops with during the offseason

keithh1999

Thank You coach P!! I agree with others here that the new day has arrived... and the HDN "Hooten" days are clearly behind us now.

I am so excited, and can't wait for SPRING FOOTBALL !!
Pig Farmers are cool.

HognotinMemphis

February 06, 2008, 03:15:12 pm #16 Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 03:17:24 pm by HoginMemphis
Quote from: RazorSAE on February 06, 2008, 02:24:19 pm
It's a difference in their mindset.  BP will bust his arse on the recruiting trail and sell kids on why they should want to be Razorbacks, where Nutt didn't want to put forth the effort.

It may partly be an effort issue but I would also say it's partly an IQ issue. Nutt's IQ limits him. Happens in every profession. Just amazing that someone with as low an IQ as Nutt can make nearly $2 million per year coaching in the SEC. My opinion is that Petrino's IQ is at least 30% higher than Nutt's.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Pillsbury on February 06, 2008, 02:31:04 pm
I think this is pretty accurate. He got complacent and thought that everyone would be happy witth 7-5 seasons.  He thought that he could never get highly regarded players so he didnt even try.

If that's true, then he and the former AD were both of the same opinion. And both are now gone!

ConwayHog

Hooty was afraid of getting roasted by the media.  If you never go after them and make up excuses on the way, it's hard to get roasted for losing the kid.

NMMIHog

Quote from: BartIV on February 06, 2008, 02:18:40 pm

This saying was on the wall in our pre-flight room at Ft. Rucker: "Complacency Invites Disaster"

That says it in a NUTTshell!