Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Archie Manning

Started by Kinghog1, February 03, 2008, 11:55:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Brand X Hog Fan

Heard Archie's comments on the radio today. I think he said something like, "Never in my wildest dreams!"

Referring back to an earlier post, I didn't see any cut-a-ways to Archie last night either. Surely he was at the game. I was wondering why he was not in the box with Peyton.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

triplepz2003

Quote from: Kinghog1 on February 03, 2008, 11:55:03 pm
Don't you know that he feels sick as CRAP now that his sons have both won a Super Bowl and he hasn't. :puke:

what a freakin De De Deee...
Quote from: CCM on January 21, 2008, 12:51:40 am
From what I've gathered reading Hogville, the outcome most people here want would be for Petrino and Gus to meet in midfield and then just run really fast at each other, causing them to fuze into a single coaching entity: Bobbus Petrahn.

Fear the Bobbus.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: theknighton on February 04, 2008, 02:25:16 pm
Btw, Archie gets so worked up at games that he usually is sick to his stomach watching his sons. If you watched the Packers game, you'd have saw that. He didn't go to the superbowl because he didn't think he could have handled the emotional rollercoaster two years in a row. Peyton was there as you all saw. Now, who wants to wager Peyton was happier for Eli than himself last year? I'd put money on that.

You are kidding! He really couldn't stand the stress? I know I was covering my eyes on the last drive so maybe Archie chose wisely!
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

hogs25

They interviewed Archie after the Super Bowl and Peyton was standing right there behind him.  They never showed during the game but maybe he was just laying low which is hard to believe but he was there. 

Trottsky

It's beyond ludicrous to even consider that Archie felt like crap after seeing a second son in a row win the Super Bowl.

The elation of a proud father is incalculable. (An aside: Eli, whom I had dismissed as a bust, was truly a hero in the 4th quarter. Glory and redemption are his.)

Here, to borrow a well-tortured phrase from Wally Hall, is how Archie must have felt inside: Every organ was swelling with pride.

alohawg

Not to hijack a really important  ::) thread or anything but did anyone else wonder about the 'U of Phoenix' stadium?  ???
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Phoenix_Stadium
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Hog Fan from Camden

I think he is a proud papa right now!

Tylerhog

Quote from: CallMeHog on February 04, 2008, 12:01:25 am
Anyone who is a parent knows the answer to this. A basic parental instict is to want your children to do more in life
than you did. I can gurantee Archie is happier tonight than he could have ever been by winning a superbowl himself.

+1 brotha

BigDrDon

Maybe if Arch had played for someone other than the "AINTS" ,Oilers or Vikes back then he may have won one himself.But it is refreshing to see that there is still a place  in the spotlight for good, wholesome, milk-drinking clean cut familytype people in this world.It proves that you don't have to be a thug to be successful.
You gonna look me dead in the eye,hold a straight face ,and swear to me,that the forward pass is legal?

Throwback1

he had a lot of practice...lol
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

lyon98

Quote from: MB on February 04, 2008, 05:42:15 pm
Eli's best play of the game was type play that made Archie famous back in his days at Ole Miss.  Archie could throw from the scramble better than anybody of his time.

I don't think that Archie was in Fran Tarkenton's cass. Tarkington made the word "scramble" famous.

Tarkenton, Fran (Francis Asbury Tarkenton), 1940–, American football player, b. Richmond. One of football's greatest passing quarterbacks, he established lifetime records (all surpassed by Dan Marino Marino,  in 1995) for most completions (3,686), most yards gained passing (47,003), and most touchdown passes (342) during his career with the Minnesota Vikings (1961–66, 1972–78) and New York Giants (1967–71).
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

Brer Hog

Don't you know that he feels sick as CRAP now that his sons have both won a Super Bowl and he hasn't. :puke:

Who are you Nutty himself?  Seriously, not everyone suffers from arrested development.

Ceba

You obviously have no sons.  I have 2 and I would much rather see them achieve their dreams than me to achieve my selfish dreams.

rupert

I think Archie was the best college quarterback of all time, he was unbelievable scrambling and throwing the ball on the run...he scrambled all over the field against a good ARkansas defense in the Sugar Bowl...he got stuck on lousy pro teams....but he is a class act for sure

SALUTE to Archie Manning

Purple Tiger

Quote from: SpareRib on February 04, 2008, 02:19:03 am
I sure agree with this one.

As an aside, although Archie was a great quarterback, he spent half his career flat on his back because the Saints could never put a line in front of him that could keep the defense off of him.  I have often wondered what he could have done with a solid O line.

Archie was a sidearm passer which negated his 6'3" height.He was never a polished passer like Peyton. Most of his completions were to his backs. What teams in Archie's era would give up their QBs for him?

Throwback1

Archie could throw it from anywhere...he was a GREAT passer.

Manning played for the Saints for ten full seasons, none of them winning. In 1972 he led the league in pass attempts and completions, and led the NFC in passing yards, though the team's record was only 2-11-1. In 1978, he was named the NFC Player Of The Year by UPI after leading the Saints to a 7-9 record. That same year, Archie was also named All-NFC by both the UPI and The Sporting News.

Manning was selected to the Pro Bowl in 1978 and 1979
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

Ex-Trumpet

"Beavis, you Dumbass!!"
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

johnfanman

If my name was Archie Manning right now...I believe I would be talking to needy sperm donors..."So did you see the past two Super Bowls...Yeah that was my Super sperm winning them"...think of the money you could make off of that.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

missippihog

You are obviously not a dad. This is quite possibly the dumbest statement of the year so far.

(If Archie had won a Super Bowl, he would have traded it away in an instant for his sons to win one.)

Right on! He also would have traded every pass he ever completed.
Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

kgr

Yeah, right

This is a picture of my son Peyton holding the SB trophy from last season.
This is a picture of my son Eli holding the SB trophy from this season.

He is just all sick over it I bet.

lyon98

As much as I dislike ole piss and any one that went there, the Manning family is a class group. Eli did sort of stray from the group his first year or so at o.p., but who wouldn't?
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

hogwild6700

Why was this topic even made? Better yet..why has it not been erased?
Two little mice fell in a bucket of cream. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that cream into butter and crawled out. Gentlemen, as of this moment, I am that second mouse.

Calling All Hogs

Come on guys. At some point this is liking piling on a guy. Kinghog1 has stated he didn't mean this the way it sounds so I say cut him a little slack and let's move on.

Brownie Tuggle

It's evident that you don't know much about Archie.  He was one of the toughest College Qb's ever.  Played with a broke arm in a cast while at Ole Miss. He never had any decent help with the Saints (Aints) while in New Orleans, yet he had some good numbers. Finished out his NFL time with the Vikings backing up Kramer and Wilson. He's proud of his boys! Two Superbowl Qb Champs in one Family is something special.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Throwback1 on February 04, 2008, 10:16:48 am
The irony, and the old guys will remember this, I"m not sure Archie wasn't really the most talented Manning of all.

Anyone who ever chased Archie all over the field and before you could catch him rifle a sidearm
bullet to a wide open receiver somewhere 60 yards downfield will testify that Archie was indeed
the best of the three Mannings who played in the NFL . However according to no less an authority
than Archie himself the best of the bunch was former Ole Miss quarterback Cooper Manning his
oldest son whose career was cut short by a spinal cord injury in 1993. Archie,Peyrton, and Eli
will all tell you Cooper was the best of the lot. As for Archie being sick about his two sons
winning Super Bowls and not winning one himself have never met much less known Archie Who.

Throwback1

I think Cooper was a WR., but your post is dead on.

slopinhogs

dad burn it i thought this was a razorback board. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Blue35

Quote from: slopinhogs on February 05, 2008, 10:17:21 pm
dad burn it i thought this was a razorback board. :razorback:
Me too, but I still like Archie. I think that Eli has more Archie in him than Peyton does.

Yoko Oinko

Quote from: MB on February 04, 2008, 05:42:15 pm
Eli's best play of the game was type play that made Archie famous back in his days at Ole Miss.  Archie could throw from the scramble better than anybody of his time.

Lord knows the poor guy had to scramble.  He had NO help for a decade at New Orleans.  He wasn't a quarterback, he was a martyr.  I'm amazed that he isn't in the same condition as Muhammed Ali or Jerry Quarry.  The poor guy spent his career looking out his ear hole.  Bravest QB of his era.
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

lyon98

Cooper was a WR, he was selected to the LA all state team and recruited by TX, OM and others. He never played college football due to back problems.
What Is A Veteran?

Purple Tiger

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 05, 2008, 10:13:50 pm
Anyone who ever chased Archie all over the field and before you could catch him rifle a sidearm
bullet to a wide open receiver somewhere 60 yards downfield will testify that Archie was indeed
the best of the three Mannings who played in the NFL . However according to no less an authority
than Archie himself the best of the bunch was former Ole Miss quarterback Cooper Manning his
oldest son whose career was cut short by a spinal cord injury in 1993. Archie,Peyrton, and Eli
will all tell you Cooper was the best of the lot. As for Archie being sick about his two sons
winning Super Bowls and not winning one himself have never met much less known Archie Who.

Cooper was the weakest Manning. He was not highly recruited. He went to Ole Miss on name alone. Quality guy but not that good of a player.

Purple Tiger

Quote from: lyon98 on February 05, 2008, 10:59:44 pm
Cooper was a WR, he was selected to the LA all state team and recruited by TX, OM and others. He never played college football due to back problems.

He was not highly recruited.

Throwback1

Cooper Archibald Manning, Archie's oldest son, was born in 1974. The only Manning brother not playing professional football, he was a standout wide receiver at the Isidore Newman School. During his senior year he was selected to the all-state team, the same season his brother Peyton started at quarterback as a sophomore.

Cooper was heavily recruited by Division I schools Texas, Virginia and Ole Miss, but was diagnosed with spinal stenosis in 1992, thus ending his football career.

Porquemada

You have to make the playoffs to win the SuperBowl. I may be wrong, but I don't think ol' Arch ever made the playoffs.

Porquemada

As far as Archie not being on tv much during the game, he probably had a truckload of money bet on the under for the number of times Archie Manning would be shown on tv. I believe that was one of the crazy things to bet on for the SB.

Purple Tiger

Quote from: Throwback1 on February 04, 2008, 10:54:32 pm
Archie could throw it from anywhere...he was a GREAT passer.

Manning played for the Saints for ten full seasons, none of them winning. In 1972 he led the league in pass attempts and completions, and led the NFC in passing yards, though the team's record was only 2-11-1. In 1978, he was named the NFC Player Of The Year by UPI after leading the Saints to a 7-9 record. That same year, Archie was also named All-NFC by both the UPI and The Sporting News.

Manning was selected to the Pro Bowl in 1978 and 1979

In '78 and '79 Manning threw flares to Muncie and Galbreath. Joe Ferguson was a better pure passer than Archie. Joe and Bert were sacked more too! Name a NFL team during Archie's era that would trade their QB for Manning.