Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vick Ballard coming to visit this weekend

Started by Hambunctious, January 31, 2008, 11:28:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hambunctious

January 31, 2008, 11:28:12 pm Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:03:17 am by Hambunctious
If anyone here is from MS, maybe they can enlighten us on this guy.  Evidently, he is coming for a visit.

http://arkansas.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=3376046
I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

NostraHogmus

Is it just me or are we looking at an inordinate number of running backs and wide receivers?  I know, I know - Petrino knows what he is doing (I don't question that) and some will become DBs... stilll.. is it just me?

Hambunctious

February 01, 2008, 12:16:48 am #2 Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:18:36 am by Hambunctious
Nope, it's not just you.  I just hope this doesn't mean that we're losing D. Curtis.

Oh, he was a MS All-Star this year.  I can't find video of him, too bad.
I don't care if others use my avatar, but don't claim it's yours exclusively.

back2back

They've got to be planning on moving him to DB. I just can't see him playing RB at UofA
FTS = Feed the Studs

arklahoman36

Like it or not, Petrino was late to the game this recruiting season -- he's going to have to make reaches and hope they pay off.

antiono hogderas

What other schools are looking at this guy? This is the first time i have heard of this kid. I would assume this is a db recruitn this late in the game.

back2back

for a db his numbers are ok. He'd only need to be a tad bit faster to be a good one.
FTS = Feed the Studs

Hawgballz

Quote from: antiono hogderas on February 01, 2008, 12:54:34 am
What other schools are looking at this guy? This is the first time i have heard of this kid. I would assume this is a db recruitn this late in the game.

Houston & Southern Miss.  Houston is his only D1 offer that I could find.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

VirginiaHog

As far as the comment on the # of RB's and WR's we are recruiting: Most high schools put there best atheletes at RB, WR, and QB. Many times these kids are more suited to play other positions but play these due to a lack of skilled players at their HS. Most of the good, DB's that are actually listed at DB are gone this late in the game. However, there are just as talented (strength and speed) of kids still out there available because they are listed as a 2 or 3 star RB or WR. What I feel Petrino is doing is going after these great athletes and will mold them into other positions.

hawgylandelight

I can't help but think that BP's strategy might be to go after HS RB's because of his short time on the job and limited amount of evaluation.  Most would agree that RB's are usually the best and most versatile athletes.  Just my opine.

OzarkHighs

I feel he is telling them he'll give them a chance at RB, but if they don't make it they can be DB...

The Recruiting Guy

Vic and his dad are on their way to Fayetteville right now.

razorbrass

Could be the same philosophy Broyles had.  Please hear me out.  Broyles would always recruit more quarterbacks than he needed.  His thinking was that most teams at that time put their best athlete at quarterback.  He would then move them to other positions.  That may be what Patrino is thinking.  Get as many good athletes on campus as possible this year and then find where they can contribute or flourish.  Just a thought.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

Randy Lively

I would think that Petrino would never like to hear the name "Vick" again :)

J.A.Y.

Quote from: Randy Lively on February 01, 2008, 09:27:58 am
I would think that Petrino would never like to hear the name "Vick" again :)

Man that is just funny! +1
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

Music City Hog

While there is a ton of RB/WR visiting.  Im more concerned with the number of 1 and 2 stars visiting.  I guess we are just trying to fill the class with warm bodies rather than leave 5 schollies on the table.  You never know when one of these kids blossoms and makes it I guess.

wholehog92

Quote from: VirginiaHog on February 01, 2008, 08:54:40 am
As far as the comment on the # of RB's and WR's we are recruiting: Most high schools put there best atheletes at RB, WR, and QB. Many times these kids are more suited to play other positions but play these due to a lack of skilled players at their HS. Most of the good, DB's that are actually listed at DB are gone this late in the game. However, there are just as talented (strength and speed) of kids still out there available because they are listed as a 2 or 3 star RB or WR. What I feel Petrino is doing is going after these great athletes and will mold them into other positions.

well done and welcome to the board.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

SuthrnFballer15

Quote from: NostraHogmus on February 01, 2008, 12:14:05 am

Is it just me or are we looking at an inordinate number of running backs and wide receivers?  I know, I know - Petrino knows what he is doing (I don't question that) and some will become DBs... stilll.. is it just me?

I think they are going after the athlete/player rather than the position he played in HS.
"If you're attitude is 'I was good yesterday,' you can't do that at Arkansas. Whoever your opponent is, it's a big game. Everything is up for grabs." - Coach Pelphrey

"I'm not really good at being a shifty kind of guy who likes to make moves -- I like to be a straight-line guy and run over somebody if I can."
-Peyton Hillis

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

oldfart

you have to believe that at this point and entering the race late, petrino and his staff are trying to find diamonds in the rough, hate to use that term but it fits here.  we cannot just leave empty scholarships, give them to someone who has shown promise as RB or QB which as many have said in small schools the best athlete plays there.  next year will be different i am sure.

PorkSoda

Also keep in mind, some of these guys haven't been offered scholarships.  They are on official visits and will be waiting in line depending on who BP gets to sign.  Even if we do sign a bunch of RB's and WR's, like others said, he is recruiting athletes.  Look at louisville, he didn't have a bunch of top recruiting classes, he just got guys willing to work their tail off for a spot on the team.  They did pretty good.  I don't think that strategy is will work in the long term in the SEC, but is certainly a good strategy to make the most of this class.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hog_of_the_HILL

Yea most high schools put there best players at either qb(like Kye Staley)
rb and wr and with the amount of time he's got he's getting these athletes to come in here so he can find where to plug them in in the fall
It was worth the wait

Kilgor

Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/