Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Askew and Curtis talk about Ole Miss

Started by shshark00, January 27, 2008, 02:07:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

shshark00

For those of you that subscribe to Scout.com, they have articles in which they interview Askew and D. Curtis about their trips to Oxford. I know I can't post what's in there but after reading it myself, there is some cause for concern for one of them. If things go bad, I'm glad Alfred Davis committed.

booogaga

thanks for the teaser. ask a mod if you can tell us what was said but not verbatim or just which one sounds bad.
GO HOGS!

COCHISE

January 27, 2008, 02:11:19 pm #2 Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:14:51 pm by 870 RZR
Quote from: booogaga on January 27, 2008, 02:09:50 pm
thanks for the teaser. ask a mod if you can tell us what was said but not verbatim or just which one sounds bad.
Since sshark mentions Davis' commitment, I assume it's Askew that raised concerns.  However, it's probably just a case of two guys that just finished visiting a campus and giving a local reporter their thoughts which are usually favorable toward that school.  I'm not too worried about either of these guys.

Bryan (CHF)

I feel confident from what I've read from multiple sites that both will be hogs. Askew said this morning he was still strongly committed to the Hogs and believed Curtis would be coming along as well. I think both took their visit to Ole Miss as a courtesy to the former staff. Curtis said prior to his visit that he was still committed to Arkansas but was also thinking about Okie State.
Quote from: Doc Holliday
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

shshark00

Quote from: 870 RZR on January 27, 2008, 02:11:19 pm
Since sshark mentions Davis' commitment, I assume it's Askew that raised concerns.

**cough** +1 **cough**

want2be

Quote from: Camden_Hogfan on January 27, 2008, 02:14:03 pm
I feel confident from what I've read from multiple sites that both will be hogs. Askew said this morning he was still strongly committed to the Hogs and believed Curtis would be coming along as well. I think both took their visit to Ole Miss as a courtesy to the former staff. Curtis said prior to his visit that he was still committed to Arkansas but was also thinking about Okie State.

Why does Curtis keeping bringing up Ok State  ???

He told Dennis Johnson that he wanted he a Dennis to be the next great duo on the hill ?

regi

As a courtesy to the former staff that can't take "no" for an answer.

hog_fan

askew said he would lay everything out and decide in two or three days. Hopefully BP wil go visit them Monday or tuesday

hog_fan

Not how it sounded on Scout

regi

Quote from: want2be on January 27, 2008, 02:17:28 pm

Why does Curtis keeping bringing up Ok State  ???

He told Dennis Johnson that he wanted he a Dennis to be the next great duo on the hill ?

Signing day suspense. Askew threw in Texas Tech as a possibility in a recent article as well. Some kids like drama I guess.

Bryan (CHF)

I'm not sure what the fascination with Okie State is.

For regi: Yeah, they have been going 90 to nothing in Camden since they left the Hill.
Why Ed does this mean we're not friends anymore? You know Ed, if I thought you weren't my friend... I just don't think I could bear it!

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: hog_fan on January 27, 2008, 02:18:51 pm
Not how it sounded on Scout
I wouldn't trust any of the sites by themselves. Rivals is reporting the exact opposite.

shshark00

Quote from: Camden_Hogfan on January 27, 2008, 02:20:13 pm
I wouldn't trust any of the sites by themselves. Rivals is reporting the exact opposite.

How can you not trust a quoted interview?

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: shshark00 on January 27, 2008, 02:21:04 pm
How can you not trust a quoted interview?
Rivals has an interview with him as well.

The_Hill

We are going to be just fine with both of them...
John, I was first team All-State. I can put the ball anywhere I want to. I'll make it rain out here.

ballhogger14u

you cannot believe exactly what some of these sites say, they are both still solid commits to the hogs, they did like ole miss better than they thought they would, but they will  be hogs. another sidenote,-ole miss now has 29 commits a 2star linebacker committed today, plus they are going hard after nathan stanley(QB) from oklahoma, nutt is going to have a mess and some pissed off kids on signing day, not good for a first impression

ballhogger14u

you asked how can you not trust a quote from a site, very easy rivals and scout interviewed the same kid and have 2 opposite stories, so obviously one is wrong

bighog77

Also they might sound like they are wavering because they are telling the Ole Miss reporters what then want to hear.

claytongray

Quote from: ballhogger14u on January 27, 2008, 02:36:06 pm
you asked how can you not trust a quote from a site, very easy rivals and scout interviewed the same kid and have 2 opposite stories, so obviously one is wrong

The scout interview was posted by the Ole Miss reporter. I've noticed that dude is very skewed toward the Rebels.

hog_fan

January 27, 2008, 02:44:45 pm #19 Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 03:01:05 pm by hog_fan
Quote from: claytongray on January 27, 2008, 02:42:32 pm
The scout interview was posted by the Ole Miss reporter. I've noticed that dude is very skewed toward the Rebels.

Sure he is. Aren't the Arkansas reporters not skewed towards Arkansas? Also, this interview was a Q and A so not sure how the reporter could twist it unless he is adding statements the player didn't make. Curtis sounds little more solid then Askew. he just wants to play as a freshman. Better chance with hogs then rebels since they will likely get the 5 star rb and Thomas.

They both are done with visits so I bet we know this week.

Bryan (CHF)

Sorry for the delay jumping back in. I had a hungry newborn who had to have milk!

To your point hog_fan, I think you are right on the reporters. Both will report and skew them to their audience. I believe Askew may be doing the same thing. That is why you always have to look at multiple sources on these things. I would say there are more leaning to the Hog side then anywhere else for both of these guys. That being said, in the recruiting world, nothing can be taken for granted.

COCHISE

Yancy Porter always writes his articles with heavy Ole Miss leans,  I wouldn't read too much into what he writes.

booogaga

i read on another website board that curtis made the comment that he wanted to have the jersey number 23 because his high school jersey was 5 and 2+3=5 and he wanted people at arkansas to wear his jersey and didnt want DMACs spotlight. just heresay though.
GO HOGS!

The Realist

Askew's comments in the rivals article say he is def. still committed to Arkansas after the Ole Miss visit.
"We've got chips on our shoulder and really want to go out and show everybody what we can do.  We're not asking for anybody to give us the respect we deserve, but we plan on going out and taking it."
Childs, Gregory.

Clint Alan

I didnt find anything on Curtis, but did find some info on the other kid..........
"It isn't hard to be good from time to time in sports. What's tough is being good every day." - Willie Mays

hogfan160

Quote from: booogaga on January 27, 2008, 03:06:46 pm
i read on another website board that curtis made the comment that he wanted to have the jersey number 23 because his high school jersey was 5 and 2+3=5 and he wanted people at arkansas to wear his jersey and didnt want DMACs spotlight. just heresay though.
I heard he said he wanted to be 5 and make people forget DMAC. Who knows what is true.

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: booogaga on January 27, 2008, 03:06:46 pm
I heard that as well. I guess we will know in a few weeks for sure.

PigDaddyKane

Some things to remember on Scout and Rivals (and any other pay site).

1.  Every local reporter they use will make it sound like everyone is leaning their way.  Its amazing how a leading question can produce these desired results.

2.  They want you to pay your $$$ to read their site, they will always tease you to get your $$$

I for one don't get all that worked up over recruiting until signing day.  Sure, I want us to get the players, I usually read Richard's column's first in the Dem Gaz.  However, hanging on every word and trying to parse statements is a waste of time.

The only person on Hogville without an inside source for Razorback news!

ArKan5a5 KiD

At the Landers Award show Sully made the comment about Curtis that he wont be wearing the #5 at Arkansas and that he was going to start his own legacy with the #23.

Bryan (CHF)

Quote from: PigDaddyKane on January 27, 2008, 03:15:05 pm
Some things to remember on Scout and Rivals (and any other pay site).

1.  Every local reporter they use will make it sound like everyone is leaning their way.  Its amazing how a leading question can produce these desired results.

2.  They want you to pay your $$$ to read their site, they will always tease you to get your $$$

I for one don't get all that worked up over recruiting until signing day.  Sure, I want us to get the players, I usually read Richard's column's first in the Dem Gaz.  However, hanging on every word and trying to parse statements is a waste of time.

Yeap. You hit it! +1

Hawgvillain

Quote from: 870 RZR on January 27, 2008, 03:04:17 pm
Yancy Porter always writes his articles with heavy Ole Miss leans,  I wouldn't read too much into what he writes.
Plus his name is Yancy....

NEA Boss Hog

Who are the 5* rb and Thomas going to Ole Piss?

ArKan5a5 KiD

I still believe that they will both be Hogs come Feb. 6th. I truely believe that they are just taking they're trips for the heck of it and come Feb. 6th they will be sign on the dotted line and we'll be watching them run through that A this year!

Throwback1

"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

ArKan5a5 KiD

Quote from: Throwback1 on January 27, 2008, 07:35:00 pm
Everybody relax.

My thoughts exactly. Hey Throwback1 did you hear about Corey Bailey commiting to Missouri State???

Throwback1

Quote from: thalilcrzydawg on January 27, 2008, 07:44:43 pm
My thoughts exactly. Hey Throwback1 did you hear about Corey Bailey commiting to Missouri State???
yup..heard it Wednesdy night
"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

ArKan5a5 KiD

Well thanks for filling a fellow Camden boy in! I just read it awhile ago on the arkansasvarsity site.

bobcat ball

Curtis said he was going to wear 23 because 2+3=5 and he wanted people to wear 23 and he also said he was trying to get Joe Adams to come over to the good guys.  That was said on Channel 7 the other night after the landers award along with him telling Channel 4 a week or so ago that he would definately be a Hog.  
WOO PIG

ArKan5a5 KiD

Yea i heard Sully say at the Landers Award that Curtis will wear #23 and start a new tradition at Arkansas. Its all good by me b/c he's going to be a All-American in my opinion.

ballhogger14u

surprised that thomas hasn't committed to ole miss yet, he raived about how  great it was and then decommitted from us , whats up with him?

Throwback1

Quote from: thalilcrzydawg on January 27, 2008, 07:48:02 pm
Well thanks for filling a fellow Camden boy in! I just read it awhile ago on the arkansasvarsity site.
lol...sorry

ArKan5a5 KiD

Its aight. Have you heard anything about our other Cardinal players??

Throwback1

ArKan5a5 KiD

Is there anyway you could msg me with a list of who you know has offers from where and what not?? Or post it on here?? I'd love to check it out.

WholeHogSmoker

Quote from: regi on January 27, 2008, 02:17:29 pm
As a courtesy to the former staff that can't take "no" for an answer.

I don't understand that.  They took no plenty of times when they were here. 

Red Dog

Can Curtis and Joe Adams start next year?

Big question .

LeadHog

Quote from: 870 RZR on January 27, 2008, 02:11:19 pm
Since sshark mentions Davis' commitment, I assume it's Askew that raised concerns.  However, it's probably just a case of two guys that just finished visiting a campus and giving a local reporter their thoughts which are usually favorable toward that school.  I'm not too worried about either of these guys.

After reading the articles, I am not concerned.

tbhogfan

I think that sometimes folks read WAY too much into these post weekend interviews.   

Any SEC school is going to have impressive facilities and coaches.  The recruits are shown the red carpet.  Most of these young me are polite and are going to be complimentary of their hosts for a fun weekend.   

Saying you had a good time when you did, and saying you are impressed when you are, does not mean that you are changing your commitment, just that you are honest and polite.

Go Hogs!

HamShank

notreseveredname

It's pretty rare to find comments from recruits who say their visit didn't go well or that they weren't impressed.