Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Matt Hall update

Started by The Recruiting Guy, January 25, 2008, 03:49:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

311Hog

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on January 26, 2008, 01:00:34 pm
You hypocrites can spin what you like.  Boss Williams is still in the league and the only reason Peters is able to play tackle is because that is basically what he did at Arkanas for two years.   The bottom line is that they are pro bowlers.  The offensive line at Arkansas has not been a weakness.  How many pro bowlers is Mike Summers responsible for this year.  Why the hell is Tony Ugoh starting as a rookie on a team that last time I checked passes a lot. 

Answer:   The Tackle that would have started infront of Tony Ugoh retired suddenly and there was no choice but to let him start as a rookie. He has done a pretty good job considering the circumstances i would grant you that, but if you have watched the Colts he got whipped ALOT and it was a weakness of the Colts the entire season.

Fact of the matter is if Hall goes to Ole Piss it will be because he "likes" Coach Markuson, not because the guy is this all world O line coach.  That is the "hook" with Nutt and his chronies, they get players that "like" them and treat them like their buddy.

Every player from Arkansas in the league played out of position on the offensive side of the ball does that not strike a cord with you? it does me.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: 311Hog on January 26, 2008, 01:20:50 pm

Answer:   The Tackle that would have started infront of Tony Ugoh retired suddenly and there was no choice but to let him start as a rookie. He has done a pretty good job considering the circumstances i would grant you that, but if you have watched the Colts he got whipped ALOT and it was a weakness of the Colts the entire season.

Fact of the matter is if Hall goes to Ole Piss it will be because he "likes" Coach Markuson, not because the guy is this all world O line coach.  That is the "hook" with Nutt and his chronies, they get players that "like" them and treat them like their buddy.

Every player from Arkansas in the league played out of position on the offensive side of the ball does that not strike a cord with you? it does me.

I don't care about Nutt, Ole Piss or what players like Nutt. I believe I am talking about offensive lineman.   You don't start in the NFL as an offensive lineman if you suck.  Tony Ugoh was serviceable as a rookie when he was not injured going up against the best players in the world.  If Matt Hall goes to Ole piss it is because he has built a strong relationship with the coaching staff and he is more comfortable playing for them.  Matt Hall's relationship with the coaching staff was never part of my argument.  I am threw with this argument because I have wasted enough time dealing with hypocrites who think every time they hire a new coach he will be able to automatically walk on water and is Mother Theresa.  Petrino was applauded for pulling Devin Thomas offer, but Houston Nutt would have been destroyed for making the same move.  No coach is perfect and Petrino will make moves that will upset many but there will be more method behind his madness than Nutt.     

Razorvet

Nutt would only have recieved criticism for letting a recruit go if he failed to find a suitable replacement. Petrino will face the same standards.

OKhogfan1959

Nutt would have unleashed Chuck, Otis and Trey to bash the kid, just like he did with Slick Shelley. They would question the kids grades and it would have been no big deal. In fact they pulled an offensive linemans offer because he was hurt at camp and didn't practice. His coach was pissed and I don't hear Wu Tang mentioning that?

Fact is Markuson didn't coach Peters. You gave him credit for that. Wrong.
Andrews was an NFL lineman when he was born!

Markuson is not a great oline coach. He will be with Nutt untill he retires. No one has tried to hire him ever.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: LawnHog48 on January 26, 2008, 02:06:38 pm
Nutt would have unleashed Chuck, Otis and Trey to bash the kid, just like he did with Slick Shelley. They would question the kids grades and it would have been no big deal. In fact they pulled an offensive linemans offer because he was hurt at camp and didn't practice. His coach was pissed and I don't hear Wu Tang mentioning that?

Fact is Markuson didn't coach Peters. You gave him credit for that. Wrong.
Andrews was an NFL lineman when he was born!

Markuson is not a great oline coach. He will be with Nutt untill he retires. No one has tried to hire him ever.

And Petrino pulled a scholie from a instae kid in Kentucky who had been a strong commitment for months and provided no explanation to that kid.  That bs happens at every school and every D1 coach pulls offers.  Petrion however performed one of the worst acts ever when he pulled the kids scholarship after he had been committed for a long time.  Arkansas fans blasted that move when he was at Louisville.  It is not like tight ends never work with the offensive line.  No one sees practice, so how in the hell do you know who coached Jason Peters.   Pete Carrol has a whole roster of athletes who were born to be NFL players but no one says that he can not coach or takes any credit away from him.  It is hypocritical to say that the offensive line at Arkansas has been a weakness.  Arkansas has had some solid o linemen, who the majority of were walkons and 2 star lineman.  With that being said no one hates Ole Piss more than me so I hope they fall flat on their face in Mississippi just like every other team in the conference. 

Hawgballz

Quote from: LawnHog48 on January 26, 2008, 11:07:03 am
Cut this kid..His momma has a lot to say about Ole Piss and I say jerk the offer. Let the kid go wallow around with Nutt at Ole Miss. I am sorry but I don't respect anyone who has kept up with Nutt and is interested in sending their kid to play for that kind of person.

I am tired of him and his momma. Not to mention the HS coach who needs to keep his trap shut and not be gossiping!

I think some folks on here should step back and take an objective view of what has occured.  Mrs Hall's comments only came after she received a call from Coach Petrino where he said that Matt was a fool & that he might pull Matt's offer if he took the trip to Ole Piss (per a close family member).  Now I ask you this, how would you have responded to that phone call?  I will go ahead and guess that you would have had a lot worse things to say than she did based upon your over reaction to an Arkansas kid who has always wanted to be a hog taking a few free trips to check things out.  Make no mistake about it, if Matt Hall chooses another school it will be in large part due to the interactions he & his family have had with the current staff.  As it is with several of the Arkansas kids this year and in the past, if they are not hogs then it has to reflect on the current staff.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

The real Hogules

Quote from: Hawgballz on January 26, 2008, 04:04:41 pm
I think some folks on here should step back and take an objective view of what has occured.  Mrs Hall's comments only came after she received a call from Coach Petrino where he said that Matt was a fool & that he might pull Matt's offer if he took the trip to Ole Piss (per a close family member).  Now I ask you this, how would you have responded to that phone call?  I will go ahead and guess that you would have had a lot worse things to say than she did based upon your over reaction to an Arkansas kid who has always wanted to be a hog taking a few free trips to check things out.  Make no mistake about it, if Matt Hall chooses another school it will be in large part due to the interactions he & his family have had with the current staff.  As it is with several of the Arkansas kids this year and in the past, if they are not hogs then it has to reflect on the current staff.

"IF" Matt Hall chooses Markuson as his position coach over almost any other OL coach then the kid is a fool, because Mike Markuson is not a very good OL coach and hasn't proven he can coach anyone up to NFL standards in a decade at Arkansas.

It's to damn bad that Bobby Petrino isn't a friend to the players and tells them the truth as opposed to smooching their 17-18 year old behinds, just to make them feel all warm an fuzzy.

I guess my point is that as a player with loads of "potential" you either want the truth or are unable to handle the truth and want everything handed to you with a candy coating.

I would hope that Matt Hall decides that he wants to be a Razorback and is willing to pay the price and that in the end he is a much better football player for the experience.
There is no doubt that coach Summers is a better OL coach than Markuson and his zone blocking BS and I hope Matt figures this out prior to NSD.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

opineonswine

Rumor is Hall is mad at Ark and going to Ole Miss.

grayhawg

Hate to lose him but if he goes just wish him good luck cause he will need it. WPS

hogsfan4l1fe

Quote from: Wu Tang Clan on January 26, 2008, 01:00:34 pm
You hypocrites can spin what you like.  Boss Williams is still in the league and the only reason Peters is able to play tackle is because that is basically what he did at Arkanas for two years.   The bottom line is that they are pro bowlers.  The offensive line at Arkansas has not been a weakness.  How many pro bowlers is Mike Summers responsible for this year.  Why the hell is Tony Ugoh starting as a rookie on a team that last time I checked passes a lot. 

Is that why we can't pass block to save our ass?

shshark00

Quote from: The real Hogules on January 26, 2008, 04:16:14 pm
"IF" Matt Hall chooses Markuson as his position coach over almost any other OL coach then the kid is a fool, because Mike Markuson is not a very good OL coach and hasn't proven he can coach anyone up to NFL standards in a decade at Arkansas.

It's to damn bad that Bobby Petrino isn't a friend to the players and tells them the truth as opposed to smooching their 17-18 year old behinds, just to make them feel all warm an fuzzy.

I guess my point is that as a player with loads of "potential" you either want the truth or are unable to handle the truth and want everything handed to you with a candy coating.

I would hope that Matt Hall decides that he wants to be a Razorback and is willing to pay the price and that in the end he is a much better football player for the experience.
There is no doubt that coach Summers is a better OL coach than Markuson and his zone blocking BS and I hope Matt figures this out prior to NSD.

Give the man some credit. You can hate Nutt and everyone associated with as much as you like, but he deserves credit for being a very good O-line coach. You can say what you want about Andrews was a stud from birth, but what about Burlsworth? No star, walk-on that became a first day draft pick. That's coaching. You can't give all the credit to the RBs for the past 10 years success in running the ball. And regardless of the amount of passing attempts, they allowed few sacks as well. Yeah, Summers had solid O-lines as well, but he worked with more highly rated recruits than Markuson did too. I'm glad he left with Nutt because we needed a new start, but he was/is a good position coach and deserves some credit.

Demaghog

Wait, someone said earlier that it was Coach Summers, not Petrino who made the comments that have upset Matt. 

Conway4Hogs

Quote from: opineonswine on January 26, 2008, 04:50:36 pm
Adios then...In all seriousness I know a kid can have a bad game but I watched him against Conway this past year and he didn't impress me at all.
It's true he has the frame but so did a guy by the name of Shockley.
Not downing him because he might choose ole piss, Just saying size isn't everything....Give me another #77 to walk on with that kind of heart anytime.

Demaghog

Doesn't sound like our coaches are that high on him. 

Not dissing Matt but he is slow and weak for his frame; he can't even bench press his own bodyweight.

Pure size doesn't get you very far, look out how Loadholtz at OU got owned by WVU's quick defense

bobcat ball

I have seen him play and he needs to be red shirted because if he is not he will not make it he is big but that's about it he is a project for sure.
WOO PIG

Razorvet

Dont trash Matt. He can throw a pancake block against anyone.

shshark00

Quote from: donewithdale on January 26, 2008, 05:17:39 pm
You're claiming Markuson developed Burlsworth?

Yea, it was a bad example. But he has developed many 0-2 star lineman into good, quality players. I'm not claiming he is the best out there, all I'm saying is he definitely isn't the worst and deserves some credit for what he did.

theoutsider

Petrino mishandled the situation.  It sounds he overreacted to Hall visiting Ole Miss. Hall doesn't owe his allegiance to anyone, especially considering Petrino is a completely new coach for Arkansas and Hall originally committed under a different set of coaches. 

What good could have possibly come out of yelling at Hall/his mom?  There's absolutely no possible way Hall would say: "Yes sir, you're absolutely right.  I was wrong to visit Ole Miss."  The best reaction Petrino could have hoped for was Hall to quietly acquiesce; the worst is that he could decommit, which apparently rumors purport. 

The real Hogules

January 26, 2008, 05:41:28 pm #68 Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 05:44:04 pm by The real Hogules
Quote from: shshark00 on January 26, 2008, 05:27:25 pm
Yea, it was a bad example. But he has developed many 0-2 star lineman into good, quality players. I'm not claiming he is the best out there, all I'm saying is he definitely isn't the worst and deserves some credit for what he did.

There is a huge difference in developing OL'men and teaching them max protect, where you actually have the DL outnumbered on "most" plays.
In other words our 7 OL'men against your 3-5 man rush.
Markuson is not a developer of talent and was hated on his first 5-7 years at Arkansas by the majority of Hog fans.
The only thing that made him and his OL look good was the fact that we/Arkansas has had several outstanding RB's over the years and they could find the holes in the DL made by us outnumbering them on the LOS.

I still believe that Matt Hall takes an official to Arkansas next weekend and then will make the decision he feels is in his best interest.
If he choose to attend Ole Myth then I will wish him well and won't dog the kid one single time, because it's his decision and I honestly hope that he's happy with his choice of schools 2-3 years down the road.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

theoutsider

Quote from: donewithdale on January 26, 2008, 05:40:57 pm
So now he yelled at Hall & his mom?

I apologize.  Can you tell me exactly what happened?  Why, exactly, did his mom and him get angry?  Are they just bonkers?

SquidBilly

Quote from: opineonswine on January 26, 2008, 04:50:36 pm

That's not good.  Let's just hope that cooler heads prevail over the next couple of weeks and Matt makes the best decision rather than a bad one out of anger.  Hopefully Eoff will continue to work on him for us.

Hawgballz

Quote from: donewithdale on January 26, 2008, 05:25:21 pm
Would you get it GD right and stop changing it to make it look worse because you are mad at Petrino?  He supposedly told them it was foolish to visit OM and didn't call a recruit a fool. 

Read my post again, DA.  Both him being a fool & the pulling of his scholarship were prefaced on him taking the Ole Piss visit.  Quit jumping the kid's a$$.  He is taking some trips and I still believe he will be a hog.

UAMS_Hog_Fan

Is that why we can't pass block to save our ass?

We gave up only 9 sacks in 2006 (tied for SEC lead)

http://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/06stats/confldrs.htm

We gave up only 13 sacks in 2007 (tied for 2nd in SEC)

http://www.secsports.com/new/sports/fbc/07stats/confldrs.htm

I don't see your arguement???

ntubjr

We did not pass much so we should not have many sacks

linze82

Hard to give up a sack on a draw
smite me bishes

COCHISE

Quote from: linze82 on January 26, 2008, 07:04:39 pm
Hard to give up a sack on a draw
or when your QB is lined up at receiver. ;)

oldhawg

Quote from: UAMS_Hog_Fan on January 26, 2008, 06:40:11 pm

A good stat, but in 2006 we were 10th in passes attempted, and in 2007 we were 7th in passes attempted in the conference.

This is not an indictment of Markuson or the linemen we have had; I am just saying that one stat does not always tell the whole story.

PigTimePlayer

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 26, 2008, 05:51:43 pm
That's not good.  Let's just hope that cooler heads prevail over the next couple of weeks and Matt makes the best decision rather than a bad one out of anger.  Hopefully Eoff will continue to work on him for us.

This was my thought, too.  I would hate for someone who has wanted to be a HOG for as long as Matt has to walk away from that because of one bad experience (if that whole phone call thing is true).  Four years from now (10 years from now, for that matter) Matt will be glad that he was a Razorback much more so than to go to Ole Miss, IMO.
Advice for reading posts on Hogville:  Think about how stupid the average person is.  Then, remember that half of the people are more stupid than that.  So relax and take it easy on 'em.

Razorbacks - Titans - Whoever Plays the Cowboys

Erockster20

Did our tightends run routes or block?

Did our backs go out in the flats or block?

It wasn't our OL that was great, it was MAX PROTECT on every play.

Joe

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Get used to this. That is a good thing. If Matt leaves, so be it, there are bigger and better fish out there.
     Petrino appears to be instituting a high pressure game of recruiting, and I like it. This is what the big time programs do, and we are on our way. If Petrino thinks Matt is Razorback material, go get him! If not, see you later.
      The facts at this point are that Matt is still committed to U of A. Signing Day is right around the corner and we will see all of Petrinos efforts come to fruition at that point. Be patient , my friends! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!    
:razorback: Welcome to the future of Razorback football :razorback:

Cresthog

How can you give up sacks when all you do is run the ball?

Hawgon

This kid sounds like a big baby who got his feelings hurt.  Let him go.  He will never amount to much.

slopinhogs

if there was ever a kid whoi wanted to be a Razorback it's Matt Hall. don't worry about hinm takeing Z trip to moizoo. he's a Hog through and through. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

bjackson

if i am not mistaken wasn't burlsworth a walk on? man i say nutt and company could really judge talent when they saw it. we are lucky the kid even attended the u of a and it wasn't because of nutt and markuson that he did. it was because of his love for the u of a  and that's the only reason.

SquidBilly

Matt Hall needs to be a Hog and some of us on this board need to do a better job of showing him that we want him to be a Hog.  We have Mallett now and a getting a guy like Matt Hall to block his blind side is something we need to do.  Mallett is a pocket passer but what good is that without a pocket.

hawgwash

This comment is not about Matt Hall.  Nor is it about Houston Nutt, who I think is an extremely small human being whose ego was his undoing and I'm incredibly glad he's gone.  This is about Mike Markuson.  I really get tired of posts spewing opinions when the only "fact" is that the poster's hatred for HDN is so great they can't objectively judge anything that had any connection to the man.  The facts do not support the argument that Markuson is not a good OL coach or that his lines couldn't pass block.  A couple of days ago there was a thread in which a poster claimed there were 25 college teams or OL coaches with more NFL starters than Markuson.  He was challenged to name them.  The last I saw he hadn't named one.  You can't minimize his accomplishments by saying the players were big time recruits to begin with unless you look at all other OL coaches and their successful recruits the same way.  You can't say we outnumbered people at the line of scrimmage when most every team we faced had 8 (or more) in the box.  You can't simultaneously argue Peters doesn't count for Markuson because he played tight end but also criticize Nutt for using Peters as a third tackle (which I would certainly agree he was).  I didn't watch practices, but I would bet Peters' blocking drills were largely led by Markuson.  If not, you have to believe his development is due to Shiebest, which I doubt.  You can't say Markuson's pass blocking success was due to keeping backs in to block when our leading receiver was the fullback.

In 2006 we were 2nd in all of Division 1 for fewest sacks allowed per game.  See link below.  And while I can't find the data to support it, I remember hearing we were also extremely high in fewest sacks allowed per pass attempt in 2006.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_teamsacksallowed&site=org

In 2007 were tied with 4 other teams for 5th in all of Division 1 for fewest sacks allowed per game.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teamsacksallowed&site=org

So bash Markuson for being a Nutt crony, or not nice to Gus, or anything you have facts for.  But you can't credibly argue he hasn't been a good on-the-field OL coach.

IronHog

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 26, 2008, 08:52:57 pm
Matt Hall needs to be a Hog and some of us on this board need to do a better job of showing him that we want him to be a Hog.  We have Mallett now and a getting a guy like Matt Hall to block his blind side is something we need to do.  Mallett is a pocket passer but what good is that without a pocket.

We want HALL as a HOG!

howse that?
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Porkahontas

January 26, 2008, 09:44:07 pm #88 Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:46:20 pm by Porkahontas
Quote from: hawgwash on January 26, 2008, 09:27:15 pm
This comment is not about Matt Hall.  Nor is it about Houston Nutt, who I think is an extremely small human being whose ego was his undoing and I'm incredibly glad he's gone.  This is about Mike Markuson.  I really get tired of posts spewing opinions when the only "fact" is that the poster's hatred for HDN is so great they can't objectively judge anything that had any connection to the man.  The facts do not support the argument that Markuson is not a good OL coach or that his lines couldn't pass block.  A couple of days ago there was a thread in which a poster claimed there were 25 college teams or OL coaches with more NFL starters than Markuson.  He was challenged to name them.  The last I saw he hadn't named one.  You can't minimize his accomplishments by saying the players were big time recruits to begin with unless you look at all other OL coaches and their successful recruits the same way.  You can't say we outnumbered people at the line of scrimmage when most every team we faced had 8 (or more) in the box.  You can't simultaneously argue Peters doesn't count for Markuson because he played tight end but also criticize Nutt for using Peters as a third tackle (which I would certainly agree he was).  I didn't watch practices, but I would bet Peters' blocking drills were largely led by Markuson.  If not, you have to believe his development is due to Shiebest, which I doubt.  You can't say Markuson's pass blocking success was due to keeping backs in to block when our leading receiver was the fullback.

In 2006 we were 2nd in all of Division 1 for fewest sacks allowed per game.  See link below.  And while I can't find the data to support it, I remember hearing we were also extremely high in fewest sacks allowed per pass attempt in 2006.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=4&rpt=IA_teamsacksallowed&site=org

In 2007 were tied with 4 other teams for 5th in all of Division 1 for fewest sacks allowed per game.
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=4&rpt=IA_teamsacksallowed&site=org

So bash Markuson for being a Nutt crony, or not nice to Gus, or anything you have facts for.  But you can't credibly argue he hasn't been a good on-the-field OL coach.

Son, you don't give up sacks when you throw the damn ball like 10 times a game. If you're constantly running it and the RB is taking the ball from the QB a second after the snap, it's impossible to get a sack for the defense.

Jason Peters is a non-factor in this argument to me. He became a dominant NFL offensive linemen when he got to the pros.

However, figure out why Shawn Andrews was instantly moved from tackle to guard after being drafted by the Eagles because he had no idea how to properly pass block. After 3 years of learning from a real OL coach, Andrews is poised to go back to tackle, a position he should've been dominant at already with some proper coaching. According to scouts, Shawn couldn't pass-block to save his ass the first couple of seasons at tackle and had to be moved to save McNabb from getting murdered in the backfield. The direct quote I heard was "he wasn't taught to pass block in college."

Name 3 other Razorback players who are doing worth a damn in the NFL on the offensive line from the past 10 years. Tony Ugoh is doing pretty good. Uh.... Bobbie Williams was a former Hog a few years back. I'm at a loss here. Help me out.

Markuson can teach run blocking but don't let the facts get in the way. When you don't pass the ball but like 12 or 14 times a game, it's damn near impossible. I'll bet that you'll notice that teams that utilize a wide open spread offense will have several more sacks over the course of the season. That is one of the things you may realize when you pass the ball 30+ times a game. It's just simple common sense. Think about it.

Sometimes the lack of common sense out there is amazing when you've got someone wanting to throw numbers at you to support (a weak) arguments.

Wingo Hog

January 26, 2008, 09:47:20 pm #89 Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:02:05 pm by Hire Kiffen
Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 26, 2008, 08:52:57 pm
Why do we have to do anything? He has an offer and Petrino is heavily recruiting him. If he doesnt want to be a hog then see ya. The fans shouldnt have to get down on our knees and beg him.

Hogcalla

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 26, 2008, 10:55:49 am
I want this kid, but if Petrino made that call I am backing him. 

Could you please fill us in on what "call" you are talking about?

hawgwash

Quote from: Porkahontas on January 26, 2008, 09:44:07 pm
Son, you don't give up sacks when you throw the damn ball like 10 times a game. If you're constantly running it and the RB is taking the ball from the QB a second after the snap, it's impossible to get a sack for the defense.

Jason Peters is a non-factor in this argument to me. He became a dominant NFL offensive linemen when he got to the pros.

However, figure out why Shawn Andrews was instantly moved from tackle to guard after being drafted by the Eagles because he had no idea how to properly pass block. After 3 years of learning from a real OL coach, Andrews is poised to go back to tackle, a position he should've been dominant at already with some proper coaching. According to scouts, Shawn couldn't pass-block to save his ass the first couple of seasons at tackle and had to be moved to save McNabb from getting murdered in the backfield. The direct quote I heard was "he wasn't taught to pass block in college."

Name 3 other Razorback players who are doing worth a damn in the NFL on the offensive line from the past 10 years. Tony Ugoh is doing pretty good. Uh.... Bobbie Williams was a former Hog a few years back. I'm at a loss here. Help me out.

Markuson can teach run blocking but don't let the facts get in the way. When you don't pass the ball but like 12 or 14 times a game, it's damn near impossible. I'll bet that you'll notice that teams that utilize a wide open spread offense will have several more sacks over the course of the season. That is one of the things you may realize when you pass the ball 30+ times a game. It's just simple common sense. Think about it.

Sometimes the lack of common sense out there is amazing when you've got someone wanting to throw numbers at you to support (a weak) arguments.
Son, which facts are you going to use?  Did we pass 10 times a game, or 12, or 14?  You used each of those in your post.  The FACT is, while we certainly were not a passing offense, we passed 21 times per game in 2006 and 20 times per game in 2007.  And as to who is doing well in the NFL, in addition to Peters, Andrews, and Ugoh, Luigs and Felton will likely be in the NFL soon.  And your argument that it took 3 or 4 years for some of those guys to do well isn't valid.  OL is always the most difficult position to adjust to when you move up, with the possible exception of QB.

IronHog

Quote from: Porkahontas on January 26, 2008, 09:44:07 pm

That pretty much sums it up.  Ugoh, Andrews, and Peters were all freak of nature OL who should have been NFL ready and high first round picks.  Only Andrews was picked early, and he had to change positions and lose (40#'s?) weight to become a NFL player.

Lets throw this out there:  People have questioned DMAC's "vision" but if there is not a hole there what is he to see?

The Hogs offensive line has been out of shape and over reliant on zone blocking during run plays and "max" protect schemes for pass protection over the past 8 years.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Boarcephus

Let me throw in one additional factor for our lofty standings in the "fewest sacks allowed" category....it's called max protection.  When you only have two receivers going out, one to throw the ball, that leaves 8 trying to block 4 or 5 and a qb who has been trained to "throw it to grandma in the 3rd row" if the two are covered, that doesn't lead to a whole lot of sacks.  Also leads to one piss poor passing game.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hawgwash

Don't disagree the passing game was piss poor.  But we didn't have 8 to protect  For one thing, Hillis was the leading receiver last year.  Also, with fewer going out it means easier to cover, so the OL may have to hold their blocks longer.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hawgwash on January 26, 2008, 10:15:26 pm
Don't disagree the passing game was piss poor.  But we didn't have 8 to protect  For one thing, Hillis was the leading receiver last year.  Also, with fewer going out it means easier to cover, so the OL may have to hold their blocks longer.

Let me rephrase that, when Hillis was in the game we had 7 blocking 4 or 5.  I know stats aren't kept but I'd wager Dick led the world in passes attempted/passes thrown into the 3rd row to grandma.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hawgwash

Quote from: Boarcephus on January 26, 2008, 10:20:37 pm
Let me rephrase that, when Hillis was in the game we had 7 blocking 4 or 5.  I know stats aren't kept but I'd wager Dick led the world in passes attempted/passes thrown into the 3rd row to grandma.
Link?  Just kidding.  I don't disagree with that.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hawgwash on January 26, 2008, 10:24:01 pm
Link?  Just kidding.  I don't disagree with that.
LOL!!  +1

hawgwash

+1 back at ya. 

I'm the last person who will defend our passing game the last 8-10 years, especially the last 3 or so.  Its been wretched.  I just want to see arguments with facts, not emotions.  Can't wait to see what we look like next year, and especially the year after that.

Hawgballz

Quote from: Hawgon on January 26, 2008, 08:11:30 pm
This kid sounds like a big baby who got his feelings hurt.  Let him go.  He will never amount to much.

Please get a clue.  He is not rated where he is by accident.