Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Poissible DC candidates (based on Auburn's search)

Started by fu-man-soo, January 24, 2008, 06:38:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

resqnu911

felixfan

My vote goes to coach O for recruiting, and Tenuta for no nonsense attitude.  I think either would be a good selection.

linkshog

I'm all for people coming home.  How's about Dick Bumpas?  He'd be my first choice if I were the Decider. As well as Charlie Strong. Sorry can't link very well.

http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/bumpas_dick00.html
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan -

Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.

- Ronald Reagan -

Porkem

I'd like to have OU's Veneables...let's pay him what he deserves.

Orgeron can't come to a SEC West school...per his buyout at Ole Miss.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

ballhog™

Wouldn't it be interesting if Orgeron came here.  I don't know if it would be good but it would be interesting...

Arkansas vs Ole Miss
Arkansas vs South Carolina
Arkansas vs Auburn

would all have some interesting coaching subplots next year.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

Luke Matheson

How bout a mix between Coach O and Muschamp?

It would be great!

"Ya ya ya ya ya Hit that mother.....!"

Shuga Town HEMI

So wait...I thought all of the Arkansas staff was together...we don't have a DC yet?

Luke Matheson

Quote from: Shuga Town HEMI on January 24, 2008, 07:10:03 pm
So wait...I thought all of the Arkansas staff was together...we don't have a DC yet?

Ellis left today for South Carolina

MS Razorback

Didn't the Saints hire Orgeron a couple of days ago?

Luke Matheson

Quote from: MS Razorback on January 24, 2008, 07:11:34 pm

Like that means anything? We had just hired Ellis....

h0gfan6

Quote from: MS Razorback on January 24, 2008, 07:11:34 pm

Yes, but didn't we hire Ellis Johnson a few days ago?  Today, no job is definite.

arkjay19

Shuga Town HEMI

Well at least this gives us something to talk about...no where near as big as the HC search, but still...interesting to see how things turn out.

PigSnort

Why Orgeron?  He wasn't even the DC at USC before he went to OM.

hoggydog

i say wright he is from texas and a great recruiter.

hogfan064

pfrg999

ok I have been in New York City for last week... I didn't have a chance to read Hogville.... What happened to the guy from Mississippi State.... ???  please clue me in
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

pfrg999

Nevermind.... Just found it on another thread.... 
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

FATBACKHAWG

oldman1015

Quote from: Porkem Yung on January 24, 2008, 07:00:00 pm

alot of oklahoma fans would love for us to hire him.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Mrsherm

Quote from: fu-man-soo on January 24, 2008, 06:38:15 pm
Below are some names of candidates that either interviewed for or were linked to the Auburn DC job.  Could be on our radar as well

John Pagano
http://www.chargers.com/team/coaches/john-pagano.htm

John Tenuta
http://ramblinwreck.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tenuta_jon00.html

Ted Roof
http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/roof_ted00.html

Ed Orgeron
http://www.olemisssports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2600&ATCLID=542208
Joe Tresey
http://gobearcats.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tresey_joe00.html

Vic Koenning
http://clemsontigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/koenning_vic00.html

Bobby Jack Wright
http://www.rivals.com/viewcoach.asp?Year=2007&Sport=1&Coach=82

I would like Tenuda, Wright, Koenning, or Roof if we had to pick from that list.
Although most DC's are not directly responsible for recruiting I think it is VERY IMPORTANT to get a guy that has recruited well in the past and would still have a presence in that area.

tigers13

Quote from: linkshog on January 24, 2008, 06:56:30 pm
I'm all for people coming home.  How's about Dick Bumpas?  He'd be my first choice if I were the Decider. As well as Charlie Strong. Sorry can't link very well.

I went to TCU and you don't want anything to do with [CENSORED] Bumpas.  He runs a 4-2-5.  They can barely find 2 good corners and 2 good safeties at AR, how would they be able to put together 5 quality player in the secondary.  That defense would get torched in the SEC, like Utah and Byu (good offenses) does to TCU.

Big_Red_1

Vic Koenning, DC for Clemson is the one.

Last three years Defense has been great.  He's from Oklahoma and coached at Memphis.  Has been a HC at Wyoming.  He's only 48 years old.  He is a good recruiter and coaches both the 3 and 4 man line defensive scheme. 

We can pay more.
I'm fond of pigs.  Dogs look up to us.  Cats look down on us.   Pigs treat us as equals.

Winston Churchill

OFTEN WRONG BUT NEVER IN DOUBT!!!

Slackavelli

JOE FRICKIN' KINES!

Hawgasaurus

Dudley saying that Tracey Rocker may be interested?
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

Bluehorseshoe luvs HOGS

Quote from: Hawgasaurus on January 25, 2008, 10:53:15 am
Dudley saying that Tracey Rocker may be interested?

I could go fo the ROCK

and Linkshog   +1 for the avatar

It's a zero sum game, somebody wins, somebody loses.

A PLAYER, or NOTHING!!!

You need a friend get a HOG.

blueshog2001

dman

I will agree to that, but Orgeron would be a great DC.  ole miss has already paid him off, if that influences anything.

nonoffensiveposter

I agree here. His defenses are tough and he would be able to recruit the hell out of Texas.

press ham

January 25, 2008, 11:18:29 am #30 Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 11:21:57 am by press ham
wish we could have got ron english. at this point we need strong, ogeron, or kines. in that order. this would be a lateral move for strong, so i don't see it happening unless he just wants to come home.

sports rap said he might not be able to come here because of a no-compete clause in his contract. might not matter because he would be leaving the saints(aints) not the rebs. i like ogeron for recruiting reasons, as long as he doesn't do anymore commercials.
tell em bout it jo jo!
yo yo yo futebol!

Hoggish1

[/b]

So let me get this right; we can't get coach O because OldPiss blocked it with a buyout stipulation, but we paid TCTWF an extra $500K when we fired him and didn't block him from the West schools.  Way to go White, enjoy your cush job in the engineering dept.!

press ham

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on January 25, 2008, 11:26:32 am
Ron English would get torched in this conference in my estimation, especially at a place where the DBs aren't up to speed yet.

i think he would do fine. just recruit players, develope a game plan each week, and let your qualified staff coach the players.

hogtusk

Quote from: nonoffensiveposter on January 25, 2008, 11:08:51 am
I agree here. His defenses are tough and he would be able to recruit the hell out of Texas.
Good ole Fort Smith Southside boy.
Life is full of uncertainty, but I could be wrong about that.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

AUSTXHOG

Quote from: Big_Red_1 on January 25, 2008, 10:49:37 am
Vic Koenning, DC for Clemson is the one.

Last three years Defense has been great.  He's from Oklahoma and coached at Memphis.  Has been a HC at Wyoming.  He's only 48 years old.  He is a good recruiter and coaches both the 3 and 4 man line defensive scheme. 

We can pay more.

I agree, the more I read about this guy, the more I like.  Of course it's not my decision, but he should definitely be on the list.  He's from right down the road in Owasso, OK.

arklahoman36

Venables won't  leave except for a HC job.

LSPRazorbac

No to English and hell no to Orgeron.

Just don't understand the fascination with Orgeron.

He was a good D-line coach but unproven at DC.  His recuiting classes were great on paper but mainly because he recruited a lot of players that were not eligible academically.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: press ham on January 25, 2008, 11:18:29 am
wish we could have got ron english. at this point we need strong, ogeron, or kines. in that order. this would be a lateral move for strong, so i don't see it happening unless he just wants to come home.

sports rap said he might not be able to come here because of a no-compete clause in his contract. might not matter because he would be leaving the saints(aints) not the rebs. i like ogeron for recruiting reasons, as long as he doesn't do anymore commercials.
tell em bout it jo jo!
yo yo yo futebol!

This would not be a lateral move for Charlie Strong.  There are only 3-5 jobs in the college game that would be a lateral move for him at this point.  Right now, Florida is without question one of the top five football programs in the country.  We would be kidding ourselves if we said Arkansas was at that level at this point. 

Was Rick Minter a defensive coordinator?  He played football with my dad at Henderson State during the Sporty Carpenter era.  So I know he has Arkansas ties and he did a pretty fair job while at Cincinatti coaching the Bearcats.

averyjack

Quote from: Hoggish1 on January 25, 2008, 11:22:07 am
[/b]

So let me get this right; we can't get coach O because OldPiss blocked it with a buyout stipulation, but we paid TCTWF an extra $500K when we fired him and didn't block him from the West schools.  Way to go White, enjoy your cush job in the engineering dept.!
Is that for DC also, I was thinking that was just for the HC spot. I've never heard of a deal where there was a no compete on that level. Not saying that's not right, just seems like a big stretch.

KY Hog Man

Quote from: averyjack on January 25, 2008, 12:01:23 pm
Is that for DC also, I was thinking that was just for the HC spot. I've never heard of a deal where there was a no compete on that level. Not saying that's not right, just seems like a big stretch.

If he was fired, I don't see how the non-compete clause would become relevant.  The buy-out and non-complete clause are to keep you from leaving a school, not to keep you from getting another job after being fired.

Wu Tang Clan

Quote from: Pel Legs™ on January 25, 2008, 11:26:32 am
Ron English would get torched in this conference in my estimation, especially at a place where the DBs aren't up to speed yet.

Arkansas would  be lucky to get Ron English. However it does not matter who the d coordinator is next year, he will struggle.  There has been some questionable recruiting done by the last staff on defense and there are some big holes on D. 

booogaga

i think i heard wally say of sportswrap that ogeron is still being paid 950,000 per year from ole piss. and if he wants to keep getting paid that he can not go to a sec west school. i can be wrong though.
GO HOGS!

hog_fan

get tentua and be done with it. Apparently him going to LSU fell through

Desperate Hog

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on January 25, 2008, 11:59:10 am
This would not be a lateral move for Charlie Strong.  There are only 3-5 jobs in the college game that would be a lateral move for him at this point.  Right now, Florida is without question one of the top five football programs in the country.  We would be kidding ourselves if we said Arkansas was at that level at this point. 

Was Rick Minter a defensive coordinator?  He played football with my dad at Henderson State during the Sporty Carpenter era.  So I know he has Arkansas ties and he did a pretty fair job while at Cincinatti coaching the Bearcats.
Minter coached at ND for Holtz and that led to the Cincinnati job.  Don't know what happened there.  I thought he was pretty good at ND.
"I've got dozens of friends and the fun never ends that is as long as I'm buying"-Tommy Shaw

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: Desperate Hog on January 25, 2008, 12:47:56 pm
Minter coached at ND for Holtz and that led to the Cincinnati job.  Don't know what happened there.  I thought he was pretty good at ND.

He just got fired after his second stint as DC at Notre Dame.  It wasn't his doing though.  CW couldn't fire the offensive staff because he was the offensive staff.  But ND needed a scapegoat after the horrendous season they had and Minter was the fallguy.  Notre Dame did give up a lot of points, but mostly because their offense had more three and outs than a leopard during the mating season.  I think he would be a superb hire.  He has head coaching experience, fair recruiter, and could possibly open a few recruiting avenues in the Midwest.  Ohio is a hotbed of really, really good football talent.

arklahoman36

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on January 25, 2008, 01:08:35 pm
He just got fired after his second stint as DC at Notre Dame.  It wasn't his doing though.  CW couldn't fire the offensive staff because he was the offensive staff.  But ND needed a scapegoat after the horrendous season they had and Minter was the fallguy.  Notre Dame did give up a lot of points, but mostly because their offense had more three and outs than a leopard during the mating season.  I think he would be a superb hire.  He has head coaching experience, fair recruiter, and could possibly open a few recruiting avenues in the Midwest.  Ohio is a hotbed of really, really good football talent.

He's at best an average recruiter, and while the O did contribute to the defensive woes in '07, Minter didn't do much with the talent on D (or have a staff that brought much in), during any of the three seasons since he returned to ND:

'05 -- 53rd in scoring D, 75th in total D, 36th in forcing TO
'06 -- 67th in scoring D, 65th in total D, 93rd in forced TO
'07 -- 72nd in scoring D, 39th in total D, 49th in forced TO

'05 D recruiting class -- no one above a 3*
'06 D recruiting class-- only 9 of 28 recruits were D players, two 4*, seven 3*
'07 D recruiting class -- 5 D recruits, two 4*

I think it's hard to call him a scapegoat when he he's only had one D finish the season in the Top 40 in total D; hasn't had a class finish in the Top 50 in scoring D; has only fielded one D that finished in the Top 50 in forced TO; and picked up only two 4* D recruits in three seasons.

texas tush hog

Quote from: arklahoman36 on January 25, 2008, 01:49:24 pm
He's at best an average recruiter, and while the O did contribute to the defensive woes in '07, Minter didn't do much with the talent on D (or have a staff that brought much in), during any of the three seasons since he returned to ND:

I think it's hard to call him a scapegoat when he he's only had one D finish the season in the Top 40 in total D; hasn't had a class finish in the Top 50 in scoring D; has only fielded one D that finished in the Top 50 in forced TO; and picked up only two 4* D recruits in three seasons.

When he was hired this time around ND had just graduated 9 seniors off it's defense and the
best player was a junior who turned pro, so he had to replace 10 players off of a defense and
his corners were 4.6 and the d-line was undersized still he slowed down most teams enough
to go 9-2 two years in a row. Two BCS losses to Ohio State and LSU made them 9-3 however
think about what USC did to Reggies defense.  Minter's defense held them to 40 and got fired
with less talent and you guys wanted Reggie as head coach. Minter has an outstanding resume
at Notre Dame in 92 & 93 and 7 years at Ball State before that. His team's record at Notre
Dame was 10-1-1, 11-1, 9-3, 9-3. Look at the overall picture. Probably going to the pros this year though as a linebacker coach if we don't take him.

texas tush hog

Quote from: arklahoman36 on January 25, 2008, 01:49:24 pm

For your info Minter was not at Notre Dame in 2007 was fired after two back to back
BCS  teams and CW brought in his man from the NY Jets for the 2007 season and they
went 3-9.

arklahoman36

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 25, 2008, 10:18:41 pm
For your info Minter was not at Notre Dame in 2007 was fired after two back to back
BCS  teams and CW brought in his man from the NY Jets for the 2007 season and they
went 3-9.

My bad, he fielded two crappy defenses, not three and fielded a staff that picked up two 4* recruits in two seasons for the D.

texas tush hog

January 26, 2008, 09:05:25 am #49 Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:07:12 am by texas tush hog
Quote from: arklahoman36 on January 25, 2008, 11:51:03 pm
My bad, he fielded two crappy defenses, not three and fielded a staff that picked up two 4* recruits in two seasons for the D.

They don't play any Sun Belt teams though. USC every year. Michigan,Penn State, UCLA,
Georgia Tech,Michigan State, their off games are Syracuse and Washington,and Stanford
and the Service acadamies. USC never hung 70 or 50 on them and his first year they had
to have an extra play to beat them on the last play of the game,hell I woiud love to have
been in it the last play instead of down by 40. And they graduated 9 seniors and one of 
their juniors off the defense the year before he got there.Their talent level was way down
I bet CW wished he had him back last year.