Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ellis Johnson to South Carolina...

Started by Tomhog™, January 24, 2008, 03:22:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomhog™

Quote from: ATLpiggie on January 24, 2008, 08:46:00 pm
Johnson was DC at Miss State for a while and they weren't pulling in big names.  Just like we did when he was hired, these kids will say Ellis who?  In my opinion he was a good coach but did little for swaying recruiting one way or another.  Just didn't seem to be a dynamic personality.  Probably the reason Spurrier passed on him the first time around.  Now VanGorder on the other hand has been known as a good recruiter so I'm wondering if their is anyone we can cherry pick from South Carolina now that he is gone.  I'll go check.  :)

It's not so much that he was a stellar recruiter, it's the fact that an undetermined DC will bring in X style of defense and philosophy.  Without that gap being filled, recruits may delay committing.

SquidBilly

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 24, 2008, 09:00:58 pm
It's not so much that he was a stellar recruiter, it's the fact that an undetermined DC will bring in X style of defense and philosophy.  Without that gap being filled, recruits may delay committing.

I don't fully agree with that though I suspect it will be a moot point because I believe we will have a DC by this weekend.  Petrino has in mind the style of defense he wants to have here so he can sell the recruits on what the defense will look like from any D-coordinator we hire.  The position coaches can then do the job of selling the recruits on their opportunities in that style.  While Petrino won't be calling defensive plays I also doubt he is going to bring in a guy who wants to run a 3-4 if he wants a guy who runs a 4-3.

claytongray

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 24, 2008, 09:00:58 pm

Petrino will likely explain to recruits that he brought in Johnson because he favored X type of defense and that the new guy would coach a similar style.

steelerfan4life

just 1 more reason too break one off in THE OLE BALL COACH'S A$$

jackflash

I don't see this is a big lost.  Playing time is here for certain positions. We still have a defensive line, defensive backs coach here. Would like a defensive-co who would run 4-3-4, 3-4-4 or 5-2-4 fronts. Why not try and find someone with BP skills on defense. All these fronts can be sound. I would look at the NFL first, after all kids want someone they think can get them to the next level.