Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Students + Pelphrey...

Started by Sir Squeal-A-Lot, January 06, 2008, 07:44:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squeal-A-Lot

while watching the game lastnight, my wife asked me, "Do you think the players/students like Coach Pelphrey"? this was asked during the moment he (Pel) was VERY upset at a call on the court and he had to jump on a couple of the players!!!

i had no answer, other than, i hope so!!!

i was wondering if you guys had heard any interviews or know some of the students and can share their views on Coach Pelphrey?
beating the yellow laundry on the field seems to be a common practice in the SEC!!!

jgphillips3

I would be interested in hearing from anyone on this, but how could the average student - who isn't on the team - not like Pelphrey?  It's not like high school where he is also the Phy Ed or math teacher.  He is passionate, says the right things and demands the most from their team.  I would think the students would have to be overwhelming fond of Pelphrey pretty much in lock step with the fan base.

Sir Squeal-A-Lot

at the moment my wife asked me if i thought the players liked him, was the moment he was pretty heated and giving atleast ONE player a piece of his mind...

then you hear stuff like, he called a practice at 11pm till 1am on New Years Eve, just to keep the players out of harms way and out of trouble...

as a grown up/parent and a HUGE fan of Razorback ball teams, i LOVE the man!!! he seems to discipline and tries his best to keep our HOGS out of trouble, the best a coach can i guess (there are the exceptions)!!!
but, as fans of the Razorbacks, were glad hes tough on them!!!

we were just wondering if the people (players) that are in touch with him daily, and have to follow his instructions, like him the way we (fans) do!!!
beating the yellow laundry on the field seems to be a common practice in the SEC!!!

gettinpiggywithit

as a student at the U of A...I LOVE PEL. I love his passion. I get pumped every time he gets t'd up because it shows he CARES. Finally some emotion from the sideline. Stan was a nice guy...but as we all know..you have to have FIRE to be successful in the SEC. I can't wait to see what Pel has in store for us in the future, and I know MANY other students who feel the same. GO PEL and GO HOGS!
Let those who do, do. Let those who spew, spew.

awwyeah84

agreed with students loving pel.
i sit on the front row of the student section during basketball games and from what we're seeing, we love the guy. 

Hogphilia

While the players need to respect him and like him personally....I hope they don't like him too much....There needs to be just a little bit of fear if they screw up....That is what Heath never had....They had no respect for him but he was just a nice guy....letting players get away with murder....

Don't think you will ever see Darian Townes storm off the court and go to the showers because he is mad about playing time....Pel would rip his heart out and eat it.

Hawgndaaz

I like him thus far, and so do many of my friends. Most of us are just ready for him to have his own players, that he can coach/train his way from the day they step foot on the Hill.

I have only talked to one player directly about Coach Pel, and it was with Townes sometime late spring/summer. He pretty much said he liked him already but he was very hard and disciplined, and made them run a whole lot. This was back in the summer, but you could tell he was already gaining their confidence.

Porquer4life

Quote from: jommojog on January 06, 2008, 12:24:23 pm
when i was in college eddie sutton was liked by the students. other than winning, he hit the bars as we all know. i'd see him out all the time and he'd talk to anyone.

nolan was liked but not as likable.  nolan had a sense of arrogance when you'd see him in public.  i saw him at numerous restaurants over the years. he and his family always acted like royalty - sortof standoffish.

pel seems like a nice guy to me. winning will bring affection for sure, but he seems like a sociable type.  its tough to be a rock star, however. if he wins, he'll be one.

I hear the Pelphrey's like Penguin Ed's

Throwback1

"So me and the boys were sitting around, trying to decide what to do with all this extra coin, and I said, "I'm gonna hire that texting clown over in Arkansas", and, I, I really underestimated the creepiness." - Pete Boone, Ole Miss AD

Sir Squeal-A-Lot

thanks to everyone that has responded thus far!!!
you guys have answered my question and its good to know!!!
thanks a ton!!!

GO HOGS!!!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I think most of the players like him, but NOT as much or like they liked Heath - which I think is a GREAT thing.

I don't think he cares whether they like him or not, which is good.  There is no doubt they respect him and he gets the most out of them.  This team is much more disciplined than Heath's was, that was evident last night.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

deucea729

Quote from: Porquer4life on January 06, 2008, 03:50:42 pm
I hear the Pelphrey's like Penguin Ed's

I knew I liked that guy for some reason...

MMM mmm.  Love me some Penguin Ed's.

CurlyTail

Quote from: dj shanon on January 06, 2008, 09:37:25 pm
I think most of the players like him, but NOT as much or like they liked Heath - which I think is a GREAT thing.

I don't think he cares whether they like him or not, which is good.  There is no doubt they respect him and he gets the most out of them.  This team is much more disciplined than Heath's was, that was evident last night.

Very well said; I agree completely. It is understandable why they would still be loyal to Stan. But there is absolutely no doubt this team is much more disciplined than last year's. I imagine there were quite a few things that they got away with under Stan that Pel put an end to his first week here.

Bigfoot

I did read where coach Pel was shaking some hands of the fans!

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: Hogphilia on January 06, 2008, 02:48:09 pm
While the players need to respect him and like him personally....I hope they don't like him too much....There needs to be just a little bit of fear if they screw up....That is what Heath never had....They had no respect for him but he was just a nice guy....letting players get away with murder....

Don't think you will ever see Darian Townes storm off the court and go to the showers because he is mad about playing time....Pel would rip his heart out and eat it.
The other side of that is Pel is giving D.T. the time he deserves while still starting Hill.  Both guys are happy.

hawgsav1

Quote from: jommojog on January 06, 2008, 12:24:23 pm
when i was in college eddie sutton was liked by the students. other than winning, he hit the bars as we all know. i'd see him out all the time and he'd talk to anyone.

nolan was liked but not as likable.  nolan had a sense of arrogance when you'd see him in public.  i saw him at numerous restaurants over the years. he and his family always acted like royalty - sortof standoffish.

pel seems like a nice guy to me. winning will bring affection for sure, but he seems like a sociable type.  its tough to be a rock star, however. if he wins, he'll be one.

Nolan was the nicest guy I ever met (I will admit though, I was 7 years old when I met him for the first time that I remember).  I was at youth basketball and I saw him sitting there (he was watching his grandson play) and I just stopped and stood there with my mouth open.  He smiled at me and said "good luck for your game".  Though now I know it wasn't true, back then I thought he was there to watch me play.  I was beaming for days after that.  Very inspirational moment for me.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

dacskc

Quote from: hawgsav1 on January 08, 2008, 05:55:32 pm
Nolan was the nicest guy I ever met (I will admit though, I was 7 years old when I met him for the first time that I remember).  I was at youth basketball and I saw him sitting there (he was watching his grandson play) and I just stopped and stood there with my mouth open.  He smiled at me and said "good luck for your game".  Though now I know it wasn't true, back then I thought he was there to watch me play.  I was beaming for days after that.  Very inspirational moment for me.

How Nolan came across to fans in public probably had a lot to do with which point during his Ark career you met him. At the beginning, and very end of his career, he was taking a lot of heat from some fans.(maybe some deserved and some of it not) Can't say I blame him for being stand-offish. I met him at a function in '95 and found him to be very personable.