Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why did Houston Nutt hire Chris Vaughn?

Started by Hoggysoprano, April 18, 2005, 05:05:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggysoprano

Seems that for the first couple of years our so called "recruiting coordinator" ran under the smokescreen of the "investigation".  Now he's out in the open, tell me one guy this dude has brought in?  One big time player that we can say, hey Vaughn brought that guy in.  Vaughn spent a whole recruiting season in Florida two years ago and came up with no one.  He's a fraud, he can't coach, he can't recruit, Frank already told Houston to tell him to hit the road, why in the hell is still here?  He gripes about Herring and is a detriment to what Herring is doing.  He needs to go so we can hire someone who can do the job.

You people who question why we would hire Malzahn?  Why the hell do we hire this turd Vaughn?

WindyCityHog

Quote from: ROAD HOGG on April 18, 2005, 05:15:33 pm
The bond between Vaughn and Nutt go back to Nutt's 1st season @ Murray State, I believe Vaughn was a player on that team. He moved up to Grad- Asst. and we have been stuck with him ever since.

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!?????

Correct.  Here's Vaughn's bio....

http://www.houstonnutt.com/chris_vaughn.htm

CarolinaHog1176

didn't know he was that anti-herring Larry... got some proof of that or should we just take your word for it?  I'm sure that you won't read about that kind of thing in the paper 'cause their job is to kiss HDN and his staff's asses so that they can continue to get their 15 minutes before practice, but if there's anybody that is around the program and knows a thing or two about this, let us know.  larry if that person turns out to be you, then that's great.  I'm not saying that you're making this stuff up, I'm just saying that if anybody can elaborate on this, I'm all ears
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: CarolinaHog1176 on April 18, 2005, 05:25:15 pm
didn't know he was that anti-herring Larry... got some proof of that or should we just take your word for it? I'm sure that you won't read about that kind of thing in the paper 'cause their job is to kiss HDN and his staff's asses so that they can continue to get their 15 minutes before practice, but if there's anybody that is around the program and knows a thing or two about this, let us know. larry if that person turns out to be you, then that's great. I'm not saying that you're making this stuff up, I'm just saying that if anybody can elaborate on this, I'm all ears

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=19154.msg173334#msg173334

rricha

Why did Houston let Dennis "Dirt" Winston go when he arrived.  Here was a man who played for the Hogs and played several years in the NFL.  I beleive he was to out spoken for HDN.

CarolinaHog1176

wow... vaughn's probably taking some heat for that.  out of our whole coaching staff, who do you think should be the first one to go?  with vaughn being the recruiting coordinator, that's a pretty high-up position to uproot but if that's the way it goes down, then bye bye.
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Jim Harris

Quote from: rricha on April 18, 2005, 05:30:22 pm
Why did Houston let Dennis "Dirt" Winston go when he arrived. Here was a man who played for the Hogs and played several years in the NFL. I beleive he was to out spoken for HDN.

Well, had Danny Ford stayed another year, I was told he apparently was letting Dennis go, too. Not sure why. Just know he was out. Anyway, there just wasn't any room for Dennis anyway on Nutt's first staff with only one spot, the defensive coordinator's position, open when Houston brought all but one of his staff from Boise State. Frank wanted a name defensive coordinator to get the fans pumped, so they brought in Keith Burns off Southern Cal's staff.
Seems that Dennis could teach our linebackers a thing or two about putting the pads to a running back and knocking the crap out of them, huh Rich?
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

rricha

Sometimes coaches need a wake up call I remember when Lou fired Cope and Horton after the 1980 season.  Both of them went on to be head coaches and harold did a real god job at UCA.

muslimsdonteatme

Quote from: Larry the Cable Hog on April 18, 2005, 05:05:08 pm
tell me one guy this dude has brought in?  One big time player that we can say, hey Vaughn brought that guy in. 

Batman Carroll, to name one.  Mark Pierce to name another.  Just because you don't know what Vaughan is bringing to the table does not mean he's bringing nothing.

Jim Harris

Quote from: muslimsdonteatme on April 18, 2005, 06:53:03 pm
tell me one guy this dude has brought in? One big time player that we can say, hey Vaughn brought that guy in.

Batman Carroll, to name one. Mark Pierce to name another. Just because you don't know what Vaughan is bringing to the table does not mean he's bringing nothing.

Markuson brought in Batman. Shibest recruited the hell out of Mark Pierce and brought him in.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

muslimsdonteatme

Quote from: drakehog on April 18, 2005, 07:12:06 pm
tell me one guy this dude has brought in? One big time player that we can say, hey Vaughn brought that guy in.

Batman Carroll, to name one. Mark Pierce to name another. Just because you don't know what Vaughan is bringing to the table does not mean he's bringing nothing.

Markuson brought in Batman. Shibest recruited the hell out of Mark Pierce and brought him in.

Perhaps I'm confused.  Are you saying that Vaughan, as recruiting coordinator, hasn't brought in anyone?
I guess I don't fully understand the role of recruiting coordinator.  Is his job to identify prospects and deploy coaches to go recruit them, or is he actively recruiting hissownself?  Is he responsible for determining what positions to focus upon(obviously that falls upon HDN ultimately)?

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: muslimsdonteatme on April 18, 2005, 07:18:58 pm
Quote from: drakehog on April 18, 2005, 07:12:06 pm

Perhaps I'm confused.

You usually  are

muslimsdonteatme

Quote from: Larry the Cable Hog on April 18, 2005, 07:47:27 pm
You usually are

You have no answer to my question, Otis, so back up and let somebody with a clue weigh in here.

Oklahawg

Missing the commentary--but likely in the bio--is that Vaughn was HDN's first commit at Murray State. Something like that.

Also missing was the glaring need to have a minority coach on the staff.

I don't want to overstate the importance of this because I am not one to offer excuses, but I think one explanation on recruiting is that while coaches have territories the serious lifting is often done in tandem, by the territory coach and the position coach. Thus, Batman was the territory find of Markuson but Vaughn as a defensive coach could have assisted. Note the use of Herring to reel in Graham this year.

HDN has a distinct characteristic that is both a strength, at times, and a weakness, at times:  he likes a staff full of guys he knows and has been around a long time. A familial atmosphere. Kinda of like me with cars--I drive 'em until they won't go, partially because I want to milk every dime of value out of it but also because I hate to go through the process of learning the new idiosyncracies and nuances of another vehicle.

I think HDN is going to learn a lot from his buddy Herring this year. He can learn how to better manage his staff because we are stuck with the lot of them until we produce another big winner. Maybe the occasional moments of brilliance can become more commonplace as a result.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

rricha

did vaughn coach Bua when he played outsie linebacker