Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Most Significant Miss Ups

Started by PennHOG, April 18, 2005, 11:35:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PennHOG

I would like to start a discussion that will hopefully not turn in the HDN bashing. :P

Name some of the most significant player miss ups that have cost the Hogs a game, championship, etc.  I can think of three right off the bat.

1.  Clint Steorner's fumble against soon to be national champion Tennesee.
2.  Tony Bua's bone headed roughing the passer penalty against Florida in 2003.
2.  Matt Jones fumble against Texas that cost us the game.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

ReturnToDynasty?

Let us not forget Brenden O'Donahoe's 25 yard field goal miss against Tennessee in the 6 overtime game. 

Phat Hawg

Quote from: PennHOG on April 18, 2005, 11:35:11 am
I would like to start a discussion that will hopefully not turn in the HDN bashing. :P

Name some of the most significant player miss ups that have cost the Hogs a game, championship, etc. I can think of three right off the bat.

1. Clint Steorner's fumble against soon to be national champion Tennesee.
2. Tony Bua's bone headed roughing the passer penalty against Florida in 2003.
2. Matt Jones fumble against Texas that cost us the game.

No, let's not bash the 45 year old head coach who makes 1.5 million a year.  Instead why don't we have a thread that bashes the 18-22 kids for their Frank-ups.

This might be the worst idea for a thread ever.

WindyCityHog

Name some of the most significant player miss ups that have cost the Hogs a game, championship, etc. I can think of three right off the bat.

It took all of two replies before this thread did become an HDN-bashing....Such is the world of Razorback football.

Phat Hawg

Quote from: WindyCityHog on April 18, 2005, 12:44:39 pm

It took all of two replies before this thread did become an HDN-bashing....Such is the world of Razorback football.

No, it became a thread pointing out how stupid it is to have a thread that bashes 18 to 22 year old players.

Reading comprehension is fundamental to a successful life.

PennHOG

Quote from: Phat Hawg on April 18, 2005, 12:39:58 pm

No, let's not bash the 45 year old head coach who makes 1.5 million a year. Instead why don't we have a thread that bashes the 18-22 kids for their phreak-ups.

Ok fat hog!  You got a better idea?  I'm getting board from constant the HDN venom!  You'd think he's the antichrist!  GET OVER IT.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Phat Hawg

Quote from: ImHogginIt on April 18, 2005, 12:50:05 pm

Gonna be a long Spring and Summer on here huh ???

Fine, if you think that a thread pointing out the screw-ups of kids who picked Arkansas to play for over other teams is an entertaining and worthwhile topic knock yourself out.

I think it [CENSORED] sucks.

WindyCityHog

I got the original point Phat.....thanks for the advice.  Nice spin....and smite away...Do you ever have anything positive to say?  I've yet to see it.  Who's that trip-trip-tripping on my bridge?......

Phat Hawg

Quote from: PennHOG on April 18, 2005, 12:51:18 pm

Ok fat hog! You got a better idea? I'm getting board from constant the HDN venom! You'd think he's the antichrist! GET OVER IT.

So you're bored with the HDN bashing so you think a player-bashing thread would be better?  Nice work champ.

WindyCityHog

....and who brought the coach into the discussion.....and his $1.5 mil contract?

Phat Hawg

Quote from: WindyCityHog on April 18, 2005, 12:54:32 pm
I got the original point Phat.....thanks for the advice. Nice spin....and smite away...Do you ever have anything positive to say? I've yet to see it. Who's that trip-trip-tripping on my bridge?......

It's not spin, bashing players is **. 

I have never, never, ever bashed a player for their on-field performance.  I have always, and will continue, to give players the benefit of the doubt.  The coaches who coach for Arkansas are grown men making an obscene amount of money and are big boys who can handle the criticism.  That's part of why they make so much money.  The players are 18-22 year old kids who, with very few exceptions, put out 100% effort everytime they put on the Razorback jersey, a jersey they were begged to put on by these very coaches.

If you can't see the difference then you are a [CENSORED] up fan.

PennHOG

OK, I agree that I could have taken a better topic.   But my point is that in many cases I have seen some pretty stupid plays that player have made that cost them the game.  It doesn't matter if a head coach make a zillion dollars.  If his quarterback all but has beaten the national championship team and stumbles over him own feet, is that the coaches fault?

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: Phat Hawg on April 18, 2005, 12:39:58 pm
No, let's not bash the 45 year old head coach who makes 1.5 million a year. Instead why don't we have a thread that bashes the 18-22 kids for their phreak-ups.

FYI, when something goes wrong, the players are to blame too.  the coaches recruit these guys to come in and win ball games for them... they call the plays for them, they put the ball in their hands, and they either execute and come through in the clutch or they fumble, toss a pick, get a late hit, etc. that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do wtih the coaches.

I've witnessed several completely and totally bone-headed plays that I couldn't believe just happened, but two (since they're recent) stick out...  MJ's fumble against Texas (I was standing in the end zone that he fumbled at) and his 45+ yard heave into the end zone against S. Carolina with 15+ seconds left and nobody within 20 yards of him.  these two examples put the blame evenly on the player and the coach... against Texas, I know there's two sides to every coin, but I would've blasted a dive up the gut and kicked the FG to go up and then try and hang on with our defense (which was playing relatively well that night against the supposedly high-powered longhorns).  so that one's on the coach.  the second example was all on MJ.  the defense was playing a super huge prevent defense with 3 rushers and the play before, MJ held it, held it, held it, and then ran for about 30 yards before stepping out of bounds.  so now we're at their 45 or so, and they run the SAME EXACT DEFENSE...  MJ holds it, holds it, holds it, and then [CENSORED] heaves it up for grabs into the end zone....  he could've gotten us down to the 15-20 yard line and we would've had about 10-15 seconds left to win the game.  I couldn't believe it.  my fiance and I drove down to south carolina for that game and I seriously felt like crying after seeing that.

now, with all that said, I'm a HUGE MJ supporter....  he made some bad mistakes but he also blew my mind with his ability.  good luck in the NFL

the blame usually goes on the coach, but the players want the ball, they call for the ball, but they don't always make the play
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Phat Hawg

Quote from: WindyCityHog on April 18, 2005, 12:57:10 pm
....and who brought the coach into the discussion.....and his $1.5 mil contract?

The person who started the thread.  If you'll go back you'll see the coach was mentioned in the original post.

Keep working on that reading comprehension.  A big key is to read every word in the post.

WindyCityHog

April 18, 2005, 01:06:25 pm #14 Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 01:08:03 pm by WindyCityHog
I see your point....

...but pointing out the Hogs greatest disappointments is "bashing 18-22 year olds?....as if they've never happened?  I was heartsick after MJ lost that fumble to Texas last year.....and voiced my opinion about it.  That makes me "screwed up"?  The title is "Miss Ups"....not "Screw Ups".  Your "reading comprehension" remark aside, you brought the coach into the equation.....bashing Nutt.

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining...and he said it hopefully would NOT turn into a HDN bashing.....My point stands.  You're wrong.....Fire away O' Teacher of Life.

Phat Hawg

Quote from: WindyCityHog on April 18, 2005, 01:06:25 pm
I see your point....

...but pointing out the Hogs greatest disappointments is "bashing 18-22 year olds?....as if they've never happened? I was heartsick after MJ lost that fumble to Texas last year.....and voiced my opinion about it. That makes me "screwed up"? The title is "Miss Ups"....not "Screw Ups". Your "reading comprehension" remark aside, you brought the coach into the equation.....bashing Nutt.

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining...

It wasn't "most disappointing games" or "most devastating losses" or "biggest heartbreaks", it was "Name some of the most significant player miss ups that have cost the Hogs a game, championship, etc".

Again, knock yourselves out.

WindyCityHog

Fair enough....even I'll concede you have a point.....but you did interject the HDN-bashing.

idochog

Quote from: Phat Hawg on April 18, 2005, 12:50:04 pm
Quote from: WindyCityHog on April 18, 2005, 12:44:39 pm

No, it became a thread pointing out how stupid it is to have a thread that bashes 18 to 22 year old players.

Reading comprehension is fundamental to a successful life.

Amen, No need to bash the kids.  A better title might include most disappointing losses.  HDN derserves to be bashed until he wins more than 7 regular season games in a 11 game schedule.
I love Jesus!

Phat Hawg

Quote from: WindyCityHog on April 18, 2005, 01:17:34 pm
Fair enough....even I'll concede you have a point.....but you did interject the HDN-bashing.

Please point out in my post where I bashed HDN?  Don't pull up old posts in other threads.  In this thread where do I say he sucks?  Can't coach?  Is a loser?  Makes excuses like others breathe?

CusefaninAR

What about Tony Bua's pass interference call in 2001 at LSU?  If I remember correctly, the Hogs had run off 14 unanswered and were about to get the ball back when he committed the penalty.  In my opinion, the Hogs had that game won until that penalty, which allowed LSU to run out the clock.

CusefaninAR

I've got a feeling this upcoming year will provide plenty of "miss-ups" to discuss.

PennHOG

I was at the cotton bowl in 1990 (wow was it that long ago) .  I believe arkansas fumbled three times inside the Tennessee 10 yard line.  Tennessee just could not stop Arkansas, but they kept giving the ball away when they were just about to score.  Was that Barry Foster?

The_Bionic_Pig

What's the refs name from Alabama that has consistantly screwed us in football games???
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Jim Harris

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 18, 2005, 02:26:13 pm
What's the refs name from Alabama that has consistantly screwed us in football games???

Larry Leatherwood made the holding call on George, calling back Jones's 77-yard run, in the Auburn game 2003.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

arthurhawgerelli

Quinton Caver "missed up" when instead of stealing the ref's silver dollar and leading the team back to the hotel, he called heads before the 2000 Tennessee game.

The Master Of All

It's important to spell words correctly when choosing a title for a topic, Mr. PennHOG.  When I see "Most Significant Miss Ups" I think of a list of beautiful single women, complete with pictures.
Without me, you people would just be confused.

Hoggysoprano

Name some of the most significant  mess ups that have cost the Hogs a game, championship, etc.

The hiring of Houston Nutt

Theolesnort

Coaches bare the ultimate responsibility when it comes to mess ups but players make themselves fair game when they commit personal fouls when the coaches have just told them to let the other team win the fights you just win the game. When a player like Batman after wearing mitts all week in practice to emphasize no holding tells the tv commentator I'm going to hold anyway then goes out and gets two penalty's to start the game don't give me any 18 to 22 year old excuse. Put it this way accountability, what would Reggie have done? A little public criticism would pale in comparison.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.