Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Football predictions

Started by Biggus Piggus, April 16, 2005, 04:18:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Reggie Herring is all about getting 100% of the SEC-caliber athletes on the football field.  He has no patience for having some of the best speed-for-size athletes buried on the offensive depth chart, when he cannot fill his two-deep.  I'm sure he can see the obvious:  Nutt/Wittke have no business trying to run a pro-style passing offense, not with this personnel.  The offense will have to scramble in August simply to assemble the pieces into a working machine.  They will have to try out new tailbacks, a couple of new linemen, find some way to flesh out the receiving corps, and develop a starting quarterback despite spreading practice time among three.  The Razorbacks are not running any sophisticated, deceptive offense this fall.  They're going to hand it off 50 times a game.  If the Hogs find themselves passing 20+ per game, it will be because they are behind all the time.

Herring is the best thing that could have happened to Nutt, shaking up his deteriorating program.  A cage-rattle was the only prayer Nutt had of keeping his job, and he had better hope and pray that it works.  Some big-dollar jock-boosters may not like what they see and hear, but the alternative had zero chance of success.  Herring had better get 100% buy-in and succeed on and off the field, or Nutt's toast.  I hope Nutt understands this.

I wonder how many flip-flops Nutt is going to go through this summer with regard to his offense.  My suggestion is that he and Wittke make a plan for how they are going to use some key freshmen in the offense.  It is the offense playing catch-up now.  If speed is an asset in the backfield, then they had better find a way to get the ball to the backs besides handing it off.  Get them into open space and make the low-risk throw to them.  It's a component that has been missing from the offense for far too long.

Arkansas signed four big guys who all have the potential to be offensive tackles, and this spring you saw why.  Not enough SEC-type tackles around, not even when everyone is healthy.  I would not be surprised to see two-TE sets pretty often, that is, if Nutt/Wittke can come up with enough tight ends.

This recruiting class included eight or nine, tops, who MIGHT be ready to play come September.  That does not mean they won't help in later years, but it does mean they do not have a massive infusion of reserve troops coming.  Getting everyone back from track and back from IR will help a lot, because they simply did not have enough numbers on the Oline this spring.  It was a very back coincidence, hitting a longtime low in spring Oline depth + having to develop a brand new starting QB at the same time.  They did not get a lot done with the QBs, save showing all of them they are not ready.

This fall is going to be very interesting.  No matter what happens, we shouldn't be bored.  We may be amazed, we may be disgusted, but we won't be bored.
[CENSORED]!

pioneerhog

Very good post Biggus, alot of truths spoken in it.

Hoggysoprano

Nutt needs Malzahn, and I'll tell you why.  Remember David Klinger? Andre Ware? these were guys in a gimmick offense that worked at Houston.  They did not have great pro careers but they put up huge numbers at Houston.  We need that kind of offense. We need to Pass Pass Pass.  The SEC is full of great D lineman who have played against the run since they were ten years old, with a no huddle possession control pass offense we could make those dudes suck some serious air by the mid third quarter. WE could wear them down then beat them.

As far as Herring when I read about him or watch him I am reminded of a Bear Bryant story.  Bears defense was getting beat by a out pattern time and time again, he grabbed another D-back and said "Son did you see that?  I want you to stop that from happening again".  The DB started to run on the field and turned and said "I'll do my best". Bear called him back and said "Son sit down, I've already got a guy out there doing his best, I need someone to stop it".  Herring is looking for stoppers.

pioneerhog

Quote from: Larry the Cable Hog on April 16, 2005, 04:26:16 pm
Nutt needs Malzahn, and I'll tell you why. Remember David Klinger? Andre Ware? these were guys in a gimmick offense that worked at Houston. They did not have great pro careers but they put up huge numbers at Houston. We need that kind of offense. We need to Pass Pass Pass. The SEC is full of great D lineman who have played against the run since they were ten years old, with a no huddle possession control pass offense we could make those dudes suck some serious air by the mid third quarter. WE could wear them down then beat them.
I don't see Malzahn jumping to Div.-1 ball as an OC, I'm not trying to take anything from him because he knows his football, I just think that Nutt is to afraid that he wouldn't be able to handle the job and in turn making Nutt look bad.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: pioneerhog on April 16, 2005, 04:33:51 pm
Nutt needs Malzahn, and I'll tell you why. Remember David Klinger? Andre Ware? these were guys in a gimmick offense that worked at Houston. They did not have great pro careers but they put up huge numbers at Houston. We need that kind of offense. We need to Pass Pass Pass. The SEC is full of great D lineman who have played against the run since they were ten years old, with a no huddle possession control pass offense we could make those dudes suck some serious air by the mid third quarter. WE could wear them down then beat them.
I don't see Malzahn jumping to Div.-1 ball as an OC, I'm not trying to take anything from him because he knows his football, I just think that Nutt is to afraid that he wouldn't be able to handle the job and in turn making Nutt look bad.

I think that is the main reason to hire him.  He can handle the job, Nutt needs someone to handle the job.  It will make Nutt look bad if he continues to try and handle it himself.

arntuahog2

I went to the scrimmage today and it was a little hard to get much of a read on anything.  The defense seems to have gotten a read on rushing the passer.  Sims seemed to live up to his newspaper reports about his speed.  Hillis looked pretty good but the rushing game was a little hard to see with the lineman that were banged up.  Barthel looked like he has some field general attributes and threw a good ball.  Mortensen and Johnson both looked good at times too.  The QB situation is hard to analyze by just seeing todays 40 snaps or so. 

One question, and it was probably more indicative of the low numbers we have, but our scrimmage seems to be more of a scrimmage and not a Red/White game.  You see South Carolina and other SEC teams and they make a big deal out of their spring game.  I hope that we can get to the point that our program has 30,000 plus regularly at the spring game too!

I was proud to say that the people at Champions for Kids were very effective with the kids activities and the 7 on 7 stuff that drew so many kids.  I thought they did a wonderful job and it is important that charities like these get supported.  I will take more money next year to support it more.  They could really make this thing something huge if it is not already.

One suggestion I would consider is to move the game to the end for the Razorbacks.  Do all the kids activities and 7 on 7 at the same time with the intent being building the excitement for both adults and kids, the volunteers then could fold up shop and hold a rally and stuff with Hershel Walker types at the very end prior to the kickoff of the game, which could be near dusk, that way you might actually draw a crowd that offers multi facets but more focus on individual stuff and not have too many things going on at once.  However it is done, the kids looked like they enjoyed themselves today!

Way to go to all the volunteers, charities and everyone involved.  That is a huge undertaking for sure!

GO HOGS GO!  Looking forward to the season next year with all the new players and changes!

pioneerhog

Quote from: Larry the Cable Hog on April 16, 2005, 04:45:42 pm

I think that is the main reason to hire him. He can handle the job, Nutt needs someone to handle the job. It will make Nutt look bad if he continues to try and handle it himself.
This is true but think of what kind of heat Nutt, or anyother coach, would get if they hired a high school coach and that coach failed. I am not saying he couldn't handle the job, because I think he can, I'm just saying that Nutt is to afraid of the risk.

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: pioneerhog on April 16, 2005, 04:56:27 pm

I think that is the main reason to hire him. He can handle the job, Nutt needs someone to handle the job. It will make Nutt look bad if he continues to try and handle it himself.
This is true but think of what kind of heat Nutt, or anyother coach, would get if they hired a high school coach and that coach failed. I am not saying he couldn't handle the job, because I think he can, I'm just saying that Nutt is to afraid of the risk.
Nutt is afraid ... but not of the risk because that doesn't seem to be an option.  He's afraid to hand the reigns over to someone else as the OC.  You know the old saying, "There's too many chefs in the kitchen?"  Well that's not the case here.  We have a fry cook ... we need that chef to stir the pot.

Biggus Piggus

I'll defer to HOG 50 on questions about the Oline, but my impression is Markuson prefers to go with five experienced players, and this year he may have the challenge of trying to work in a mix of experienced and inexperienced.  That is if the veteran players can't cut it at one or two positions.
[CENSORED]!

HogInMemphis

I'll cut to the chase:  Defense improves, holds SEC opponents to 20 points on average. Offense is much worse than last year, averages 16 points per game vs. SEC opponents and goes 3-5 again, 5-6 overall and Nutt is released.

I'll print this and see how accurate it is in December.

Semper Hogelis

I get that Larry, Throwing the ball a lot in the SEC with the league defenses being geared to stopping the run. But who among these three will be able to pass,pass,pass without 3-4 INTs per game. I don't disagree. I just don't think we have anyone on campus that can lead a air attack. My opinion, and I don't know a damn thing.
I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Larry the Cable Hog on April 16, 2005, 04:26:16 pmNutt needs Malzahn, and I'll tell you why. Remember David Klinger? Andre Ware? these were guys in a gimmick offense that worked at Houston. They did not have great pro careers but they put up huge numbers at Houston. We need that kind of offense. We need to Pass Pass Pass. The SEC is full of great D lineman who have played against the run since they were ten years old, with a no huddle possession control pass offense we could make those dudes suck some serious air by the mid third quarter. WE could wear them down then beat them.

There you go again with that idiotic Malzhan worship.  There's a reason he's coaching high school ball, and not college, especially not D-1.

Ever occured to you that everytime that Arkansas has tried a "pass pass pass" offense, they've sucked tremendously?  And Malzhan is no Kay Stephenson.  Arkansas is historically a team that runs the ball, and has had its greatest success doing so.

And you say others are stupid and have no credibility.  Ha!

Semper Hogelis

I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....

Brett Hitman Hog

April 17, 2005, 02:41:37 pm #13 Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 02:43:44 pm by The Hitman
Quote from: DR on April 17, 2005, 01:25:24 pm
Quote from: Larry the Cable Hog on April 16, 2005, 04:26:16 pmNutt needs Malzahn, and I'll tell you why. Remember David Klinger? Andre Ware? these were guys in a gimmick offense that worked at Houston. They did not have great pro careers but they put up huge numbers at Houston. We need that kind of offense. We need to Pass Pass Pass. The SEC is full of great D lineman who have played against the run since they were ten years old, with a no huddle possession control pass offense we could make those dudes suck some serious air by the mid third quarter. WE could wear them down then beat them.

There you go again with that idiotic Malzhan worship. There's a reason he's coaching high school ball, and not college, especially not D-1.

Ever occured to you that everytime that Arkansas has tried a "pass pass pass" offense, they've sucked tremendously? And Malzhan is no Kay Stephenson. Arkansas is historically a team that runs the ball, and has had its greatest success doing so.

And you say others are stupid and have no credibility. Ha!
Just because we have ran the ball in the past with great success doesn't mean one day we should not change.  This year, prob. not the year to move away from the run with the inexperienced QBs we have.  But I think the time will come where it would be adventageous to pass more.  Hillis has soft hand ... and can bruise.  McFadden, and others should be able to catch the ball out of the backfield as well.  Monk, Logan, Washington, etc.  The passing game could easily be the focus to win the games ... if we get someone to toss the ball to OUR players.

PigMan

April 17, 2005, 04:11:35 pm #14 Last Edit: April 17, 2005, 05:14:59 pm by PigMan
But too, in the fall we are bringing in some outstanding talent at some positions. This fact alone is going to affect the team chemistry.  This is acknowlegding some will be red shirted but others will play right away due to their ability level.

CusefaninAR

I'm still waiting for Otis Kirk's "greatest walk-on class in Razorback history" to makes its presence felt.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: PigMan on April 17, 2005, 04:11:35 pm
But too, in the fall we are bringing in some outstanding talent at some positions. This fact alone is going to affect the team chemistry.  This is acknowlegding some will be red shirted but others will play right away due to their ability level.

Outstanding talent at some positions, on defense and at tailback.  No receivers, at least not receivers yet.
[CENSORED]!

Porkahontas

Quote from: The Hitman on April 17, 2005, 02:41:37 pm

There you go again with that idiotic Malzhan worship. There's a reason he's coaching high school ball, and not college, especially not D-1.

Ever occured to you that everytime that Arkansas has tried a "pass pass pass" offense, they've sucked tremendously? And Malzhan is no Kay Stephenson. Arkansas is historically a team that runs the ball, and has had its greatest success doing so.

Just because we have ran the ball in the past with great success doesn't mean one day we should not change.  This year, prob. not the year to move away from the run with the inexperienced QBs we have.  But I think the time will come where it would be adventageous to pass more.  Hillis has soft hand ... and can bruise.  McFadden, and others should be able to catch the ball out of the backfield as well.  Monk, Logan, Washington, etc.  The passing game could easily be the focus to win the games ... if we get someone to toss the ball to OUR players.

The passing game will probably become the focus of the game because we're gonna end up being behind quite a bit in games and will be forced to pass a lot to try to play catch-up. The defense is gonna be improved but it'd be a stretch to think they're gonna jump from #100 to the top 20 in the country in one season just with the hiring of a new coach. I'd bet it'll take at least a year for all the players to adjust and get on board with Herring's coaching schemes and such.

In other words, defense will be around 4th or 5th in the SEC, offense is gonna be 10th or 11th. We're gonna fall behind early in a lot of games, go into half-time being down like we did a lot last year, and Nutt is gonna be forced into having the offense coming out firing the ball in the air a hell of a lot to try to get back into the game. If nothing else, it'll be some good experience and repetitions for whoever our QB turns out to be.

It's a thought, but the offense may be so bad next year that, if he's allowed to stick around, Nutt will be forced to hire help on the offensive side of the ball. There's also a lot of people watching closely to see how that fence is gonna hold up with many of the states top prospects looking long and hard at schools other than Arkansas. Malzhan might make sense this year as an assistant, if for nothing else than to add some life into the offense and for the distinct possibility that he may bring 3 or 4 of the top players in the state to Arkansas with him. He may turn out to be a bad hire, but if it doesn't work out, let him go a year later, keep the talent that is brought in, and try someone else with more college experience.

hogwildinhouston

Malzahn as an offensive assistant is a LONG shot at best.  Malzahn as OC is an absolutely laughable concept.  I can just see coaches like Fulmer, Spurrier, Richt, etc absolutely pissing on themselves laughing if we hire a high school coach as an OC.  The last time coaches laughed that hard was when ND hired Gerry Faust.  They all enjoyed the 5 year disasterous experiement.   

Hire an OC?   ABSOLUTELY.   Hire Malzahn as OC?  Where's the nearest bridge.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 17, 2005, 07:55:16 pm

Malzahn as an offensive assistant is a LONG shot at best. Malzahn as OC is an absolutely laughable concept. I can just see coaches like Fulmer, Spurrier, Richt, etc absolutely pissing on themselves laughing if we hire a high school coach as an OC. The last time coaches laughed that hard was when ND hired Gerry Faust. They all enjoyed the 5 year disasterous experiement.

Hire an OC? ABSOLUTELY. Hire Malzahn as OC? Where's the nearest bridge.

Hate to tell you this, but you have no idea what you're talking about.
Here is something for you to ponder.  "It's not so much what folks don't know that causes problems; it's what they do know that ain't so."

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: Larry the Cable Hog on April 17, 2005, 07:59:01 pm

Malzahn as an offensive assistant is a LONG shot at best. Malzahn as OC is an absolutely laughable concept. I can just see coaches like Fulmer, Spurrier, Richt, etc absolutely pissing on themselves laughing if we hire a high school coach as an OC. The last time coaches laughed that hard was when ND hired Gerry Faust. They all enjoyed the 5 year disasterous experiement.

Here is something for you to ponder. "It's not so much what folks don't know that causes problems; it's what they do know that ain't so."

Here is something for you to ponder. "It's not so much what folks don't know that causes problems; it's what they do know that ain't so."

Damn, I'm sorry.  You're right.  High school coaches jump straight to OC/DC positions in the SEC all the time.  I have no clue what I'm talking about.  Coaches who've never won or even played in a state championship game above the AA level consistantly make the leap to coordinator jobs in BCS conferences.  Happens all the time, and is usually successful.

NO ONE that I've read on this board disputes the fact that Nutt needs help with the offense.  He doesn't need HS coaches to help him.  He needs a legit, proven D1 offensive mind.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 17, 2005, 08:09:23 pm

Damn, I'm sorry. You're right. High school coaches jump straight to OC/DC positions in the SEC all the time. I have no clue what I'm talking about. Coaches who've never won or even played in a state championship game above the AA level consistantly make the leap to coordinator jobs in BCS conferences. Happens all the time, and is usually successful.

NO ONE that I've read on this board disputes the fact that Nutt needs help with the offense. He doesn't need HS coaches to help him. He needs a legit, proven D1 offensive mind.

refer to above reply.

hogwildinhouston

refer to above reply.

I've refered to your replys more than I ever should have.

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on April 17, 2005, 08:18:06 pm

refer to above reply.

I've refered to your replys more than I ever should have.

Good for you!! Maybe you will learn something!!

The Master Of All

Malzahn would obviously be the choice to lead the offense for a team in the best conference in America.  Look how many state titles he has won at Springdale.  His teams are consistently more prepared to play than the other schools in the 5A-West, the best football conference in Arkansas high school ball.  The level of play demonstrated by Malzahn's team in football coliseums such as Fayetteville's Harmon Field, Van Buren's Blakemore Field and Springdale's own stadium, complete with a video scoreboard (much like Razorback Stadium's) clearly show that he is ready to make the minor jump from high school coach to SEC offensive coordinator. 
Without me, you people would just be confused.

Oklahawg

The iffy thing about the "pass when behind" plan is the dual-edged issue called
"QB unknown and WR depth missing".

I think the difficulty with our passing game won't be the passing skill as much as the inabilty of someone not named Monk or Washington to create separation, run a decent route and then hold onto the ball. If Baker can't do anything besides a go route then his PT has to be cut.

The same things the 2005 offense needs were needed this year--get the RBs the ball in ways besides a pitch or handoff. Last year they lacked the speed to hit the hole, not to mention the shiftiness to make the one move needed to get into the secondary. This year we'll have that but will need ways to make defenses honest.

Is there a clear-cut "best" QB on this roster? Will the master of planning and long-term thinking figure it out in time to get them the reps needed to be ready by the first play? Two very intriguing questions...
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WilsonHog

I don't know what should happen next fall, but I've got a pretty good idea what will happen.

Early indicators point to Herring's defense being pretty good, and our quarterback will be green as grass.

What is the universal coaching advice given to a quarterback in that situation?

"Son, whatever you do, do not get us beat."

mikeirwin

What reason would that be ? Is there a sign stamped on his forehead that says HIGH SCHOOL ONLY ?

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 17, 2005, 11:22:19 pm

What reason would that be ? Is there a sign stamped on his forehead that says HIGH SCHOOL ONLY ?

Number One: He's not a D-1 caliber coach.  Hell, if he was as good as he was hyped to be, the man would have three AAAAA titles, instead of getting outcoached in the playoffs for the past five or six years.

Number Two: A good coach at the varsity level doesn't necessarily translate into good college coach...ever heard of Gary Faust?

Malzhan's good, but he's not half as good as some make him up to be.

Jim Harris

Quote from: DR on April 17, 2005, 11:26:54 pm

Number One: He's not a D-1 caliber coach. Hell, if he was as good as he was hyped to be, the man would have three AAAAA titles, instead of getting outcoached in the playoffs for the past five or six years.

Number Two: A good coach at the varsity level doesn't necessarily translate into good college coach...ever heard of Gary Faust?

I've heard of Gerry Faust, but I have never heard of Gary Faust. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

you_slaw

could you please stop talkin about these high school coaches and get back to talkin about the razorbacks next year~~
Trying to change the world, with one message at a time!!!

mikeirwin

Number One: He's not a D-1 caliber coach. Hell, if he was as good as he was hyped to be, the man would have three AAAAA titles, instead of getting outcoached in the playoffs for the past five or six years.

Faust became a D-1 head coach in one jump from high school. A head coach at Notre Dame no less. His problem was simple. The high school offense he ran did not translate to the D1 level. Malzahn does not run a mickey mouse offense. Plus no one here has suggested him as the head coach at Arkansas.
I've been around Houston Nutt for 7 years.
I've been around Roy Wittke for 2 years. There is nothing about either one of those guys that convinces me that Malzahan can't do what they do.

mikeirwin

Quote from: you_slaw on April 18, 2005, 12:29:04 am
could you please stop talkin about these high school coaches and get back to talkin about the razorbacks next year~~
If you don't like this thread stop reading it.

HOGLEG

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 18, 2005, 12:51:49 am
[quote author=mikeirwin link=topic=19185.msg173383#msg173383 date=1113798139        There is nothing about either one of those guys that convinces me that Malzahan can't do what they do.
AH-HA! And I think that is why some/most people would rather have the assurance of going with a proven college/pro coach. I'm not trying to dispute the fact that he's a good coach. He is. He's probably one of the best HS coaches in AR. He also acquires some of the best talent. Another example... the LR team Bledsoe played for has had one of the most dominating defenses the last few years... Why didn't they just go get their coach instead of Herring... Because we don't want someone who could "probably" do it. WE WANT THE VERY BEST! IMO the last thing we need is a HS coach. I don't know about ya'll guys, but I'm tired of the up-and-comer, diamond in the ruff's. If we don't have AT LEAST 8 wins, (bowl game included), I say: fire his butt, go out and get the very best HC available. For those that are going to say "why would they come here?". Anything can happen if you break out the checkbook and show 'em enough $love$. Again, I'm not trying to bad mouth Malzahan. But do ya'll think Nutt would say: "I tell ya what Gus...We are just going to scrap my whole playbook. Install all of yours. Then I can stand there on the sidelines at gameday and watch you call all the plays with your little play-callin' tricks."

mikeirwin

Quote from: HOGLEG on April 18, 2005, 04:57:52 am
Quote from: mikeirwin link=topic=19185.msg173383#msg173383 date=1113798139 There is nothing about either one of those guys that convinces me that Malzahan can't do what they do.
/quote]
AH-HA! And I think that is why some/most people would rather have the assurance of going with a proven college/pro coach. I'm not trying to dispute the fact that he's a good coach. He is. He's probably one of the best HS coaches in AR. He also acquires some of the best talent. Another example... the LR team Bledsoe played for has had one of the most dominating defenses the last few years... Why didn't they just go get their coach instead of Herring... Because we don't want someone who could "probably" do it. WE WANT THE VERY BEST! IMO the last thing we need is a HS coach. I don't know about ya'll guys, but I'm tired of the up-and-comer, diamond in the ruff's. If we don't have AT LEAST 8 wins, (bowl game included), I say: fire his butt, go out and get the very best HC available. For those that are going to say "why would they come here?". Anything can happen if you break out the checkbook and show 'em enough $love$. Again, I'm not trying to bad mouth Malzahan. But do ya'll think Nutt would say: "I tell ya what Gus...We are just going to scrap my whole playbook. Install all of yours. Then I can stand there on the sidelines at gameday and watch you call all the plays with your little play-callin' tricks."
So that's your evaluation of Malzahn's offense ? "Play callin' tricks ?" Maybe you need to watch Springdale this season and compare their passing game to Arkansas. Again, some of you guys act like somebody here is calling for Malzahn to be the head coach. What some of us have said and continue to say is that there are rumors that Nutt is gonna hire Malzahn at some point after next season. It may not be Nutt who hires him. It may be the next head coach. As for jumping from a high school head coach to an Arkansas assistant somebody forgot to tell Wilson Matthews that it was a crazy idea.
I know. That was a long time ago and Wilson didn't call plays.
Wilson was just an afterthought.
That's why it's Wilson on the Broyles Award trophy with Frank.

arkcat

This is absurd!!!  No way do you hire a HS coach to be an OC for a major program.  That is one of THE craziest things I have heard on this board.  Maybe a qb coach but remember that hiring a new coach means that that coach would be starting over on any inroads that the other coach had been building on the recruiting trail with other HS coaches...unless he were to recruit Arkansas and maybe Oklahoma where Gus already established his name via reputation.

Theolesnort

This time I'm going to disagree with Biggus and say the recievers are there but and it is a big but  we have no one to get them the ball consistantly. So basically Biggis is right, we have no recievers because they can't prove themselves. If RJ doesn't come back this fall and take control completely, I would be ready to give him to Herring because he is such an athlete that he needs to play some where. Then go with Barthel with mainly running the ball and as the season goes on blend in a lot of play action passes and add the more sophisticated passes as Barthel grows. This will put a lot of pressure on Herring's defense but if anyone can handle it without caving in it will be him. At best we could win 6 or 7.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

rathog1

When did we try a pass pass offense? I must have missed those years.
Hogking 7-09-05
11:42:25 PM
this will be a 1998 type season maybe better

Swino

QuoteWhen did we try a pass pass offense? I must have missed those years.

When Clint Stoerner was the Offensive Coordinater, and then it wasn't really a pass offense, just balanced.

rathog1

Oh! Those years. So 9-2 sucks?
Hogking 7-09-05
11:42:25 PM
this will be a 1998 type season maybe better

The Master Of All

Who's to say that Coach Nutt would want to hire Malzahn?  Most here seem to think that Malzahn would be a positive on some level, maybe with some college experience before making the jump. 

Remember, anyone with the name Nutt is out to get you and is hellbent on destroying any possible success that Razorback football might stumble upon.

Trust the Master on this one.
Without me, you people would just be confused.

Phat Hawg

#1  How the hell do you know?  Do you think your Fantasy Football Championship from 3 years ago gives you the ability to judge coaching talent in the HS ranks?

#2  Under the "no-darn" sherlock category.  No it's no guarantee but I would guess the successful HS coaches who made the transition to college had successful records. 

Basically it boils down to the fact that you've got an issue with Malzahn that has nothing to do with his coaching ability.

Theolesnort

The x and o's of football are not that complicated Hell a physicist at the University could pick it up in a week or two. Would that make him a good coach? Depends on if he can motivate and relate to young people.  Malzahn knows plenty about X's and O's. What he doesn't know he will pick up fast at the next level. What he has and he has it in spades is how to relate to players and motivate and buy in to what he is teaching them. He knows how to push the right buttons on offense just as Reggie knows how to push them on defense. People football is a simple game with just enough sophistication to make it interesting and the coaches that are sucessful are those that can get out of their players more than the players may think is possible. Nutt needs more coaches on staff like Herring and Markuson. Malzhan would be another step in the right direction because the players he works with will buy in to what he is selling.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Jim Harris

Quote from: HogInParaloma on April 18, 2005, 10:27:58 am
I've been around Houston Nutt for 7 years.
I've been around Roy Wittke for 2 years. There is nothing about either one of those guys that convinces me that Malzahan can't do what they do.

Do you know how he would handle the pressure?

calmer than our head coach, who looks like a monkey on acid.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Oklahawg

HS coaches get their break from someone at some time. Might as well be us. I don't think any of us are advocating that Malzahn take over as OC. We may think its a good idea, but we would be stepping on every offensive coach's toes in the process. I think its a big enough step to get him on the staff in some--any--capacity and then see what he can do.

Even if he were the end-all, be-all OC the first year would not be all roses. He would inherit a team with limited WR options--Monk, Washington...and then it drops off quickly, and his system would need at least 4, maybe more, to work well--with talent at RB and OL that strongly suggests at least a 50 percent commitment to running the ball. I bet he could get something done with the TEs. I'm very comfy with giving him Pugh's slot, splitting TE's between Markuson and Shibest and letting Malzahn have a shot at special teams coach.

First things first--an opportunity has to exist. One doesn't as of this morning. That I know of.

At some point I am banking on Herring's enthusiasm and high expectations to spill over and infect others. Those that still dissent may well find themselves moving on very quickly.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Porkahontas

Quote from: drakehog on April 18, 2005, 10:40:18 am

calmer than our head coach, who looks like a monkey on acid.

I was about to ask if you were thinking of Quinn Snyder when you said "monkey on acid" but I now realize you said "acid" instead of "cocaine."

I think Nutt needs to pop a valium before games. It'd do wonders for his composure on the sidelines.

Boarcephus

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 16, 2005, 04:18:58 pm
Herring is the best thing that could have happened to Nutt, shaking up his deteriorating program. A cage-rattle was the only prayer Nutt had of keeping his job, and he had better hope and pray that it works. Some big-dollar jock-boosters may not like what they see and hear, but the alternative had zero chance of success. Herring had better get 100% buy-in and succeed on and off the field, or Nutt's toast. I hope Nutt understands this.

Interesting comment on the "big-dollar jock-boosters" not really liking what they've seen and heard.  I would have thought the people like Lindsey and Tyson (I assume this is who you're referring to) would have loved what this guy is doing and how he's going about doing it.

Just a thought on the Malzahn courtship, I have nothing at all against him and he's evidently quite an offensive mind but so is Wittke.   Bottom line is this, Nutt can hire all the offensive wizards he wants to but as long as he won't let them have the slightest bit of control of "HIS" offense, it's all a moot point.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Jim Harris

Quote from: The Master Of All on April 18, 2005, 06:07:54 pm
Mr. Cable Hog, I am pretty good at baiting a fish, you are definitely correct. If you meant the vulgar kind, you should be informed that the spelling is "masturbation," and I am not "The Mastur of All."

As for your post to Mr. Kilgor, you should be informed that with that type of language you are putting yourself into that elite list of three or four posters.

This reminds me a long-ago quote from Shelby Metcalf, probably during the 1978-79 season when A&M came up to Fayetteville with a pretty talented team but the Hogs kicked their butt. SHelby said that Eddie Sutton "was the master at baiting officials." Probably didn't strike him as to what he'd said, but then again Shelby was a sly one.

WindyCityHog