Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Red-White Game Comments

Started by Kilgor, April 16, 2005, 01:20:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kilgor

April 16, 2005, 01:20:45 pm Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 01:32:34 pm by Kilgor
I'll let those with better memories come along behind me and fill in.

Beautiful day!  I guess attendance was about 10,000 - 12,000 but I'm not any better at estimating that sort of thing than Chuck Barrett is. 

Punting may be ok.  Skinner had a few very high good punts, but the real winner at punting was Jeremy Davis.  He was able to put them in a 10 yard circle pretty consistently.

Luigs was back on the line.

Watched Fish catch several kickoffs and he looked pretty shifty.  It wasn't a full contact drill though, so it was hard to tell much.

Poole was back out there, but didn't do much.

Hillis and Dickerson got most of the carries.  Hillis fumbled for a Vickiel Vaughn recovery and return.  He also had several good runs where he bulldozed people, including at least one TD run.

Robert Johnson seemed to want to run first, then throw.

Mortenson had trouble getting away from the rush and threw up a duck that was intercepted for a long return by Randy Kelly.

Two things that really stood out:

Desmond Sims!!!  He's getting to the QB's and finishing the job once there!  I'm excited to see what he can do this year.

Field goal kicking.  We will have many blocked this year because Balsiero just kicks the ball too low.  Also he dinged several off the goal posts and flat out missed several times.  This will be our weakest position and it may cost us a game or two.

Kilgor
Northwest Arkansas gardening and critter raising:

http://www.backyardfreshfoods.com/

Macgyver_Hawg

I pulled into the North End Zone parking lot at 11:25 am.  I was three rows from the stadium when a lady pulls out of a spot to leave.  Folks, it doesn't get any better than that.

Batman, I spotted you from several rows up in a light blue shirt with a cap and shades.  Disappointed you didn't bring the headband.

Monk to Hillis for the TD was great.

I'M EMBARRASSED

Offensive production was poor at best.  Barthel will be our starter.  If not, someone watched a different scrimmage than I did.  He won't be deemed starter based only on this scrimmage, but his production before the scrimmage too.  Monk could be our backup after his touchdown throw.  He seems to play the position better than RJ or Mort.  Matt was on the sidelines and made me wonder what he would be doing in the scrimmage.  I think we will feel his loss in our first game.  Hopefully, Herring's defense will make up for that loss.

Pragmatic PiG

I heard Barthel played vs the 2nd and 3rd team D

If thats true, you can hardly annoit Barthel as the starter based on that

I'M EMBARRASSED

As I said, he won't be our qb based solely on this scrimmage.  He's put up the best numbers thus far, regardless of if it's against 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team.  Let's put him against 1st team and see what he does.

mikeirwin

Barthel and Mortensen looked pretty good until they faced the top defense toward the end. They both got sacked by Desmond Sims. Johnson led the offense to a TD against the ones late in the scrimmage. Johnson had one scramble for a first down. The TD was on second effort from the 11 by Hillis. Nutt said Johnson is the leader coming out of the spring. To me Barthel looked more poised than Johnson or Mortensen even if he did go up against the threes mostly. You can spot a QB when you see one. Any of us can. I'm not saying that Barthel is a can't miss guy but to me he looks more like a QB than the other two.

Biggus Piggus

I hope playing against this style of defense helps the offense to develop faster than it would have otherwise. 
[CENSORED]!

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: hogsrus5 on April 16, 2005, 04:57:22 pm
As I said, he won't be our qb based solely on this scrimmage.  He's put up the best numbers thus far, regardless of if it's against 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team.  Let's put him against 1st team and see what he does.
i'm down for that

I really don't care who the QB is, just want him to succeed

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 16, 2005, 05:12:27 pm
Barthel and Mortensen looked pretty good until they faced the top defense toward the end. They both got sacked by Desmond Sims. Johnson led the offense to a TD against the ones late in the scrimmage. Johnson had one scramble for a first down. The TD was on second effort from the 11 by Hillis. Nutt said Johnson is the leader coming out of the spring. To me Barthel looked more poised than Johnson or Mortensen even if he did go up against the threes mostly. You can spot a QB when you see one. Any of us can. I'm not saying that Barthel is a can't miss guy but to me he looks more like a QB than the other two.

do you think that RJ will come out of August as the #1 or will it be more of 2-headed, or even 3-headed system?

From what I read on the boards and what not, it seems like Barthel is getting a lot of good pub for his play so far, even if RJ is the #1 vs SMS, do you think that Barthel will have a good shot at supplanting him as the starter at some point in the season, or is hdn just too inconsistent  to get a good read on at this point?

The_Bionic_Pig

All 3 QB's will gain immeasurable exsperience -vs- A Herring Blitzing D.   I can't wait to see what Freshman steal playing time away from the present rosters on both sides of the ball.  ;D
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mikeirwin

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on April 16, 2005, 05:59:05 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on April 16, 2005, 05:12:27 pm

do you think that RJ will come out of August as the #1 or will it be more of 2-headed, or even 3-headed system?
From what I understand Johnson looked good in the closed practices. He was unimpressive in the two public scrimmages. He appears to be the opposite of MJ. He doesn't respond well to pressure. I think Nutt will go with him early this fall hoping he'll settle down. I wouldn't be surprised to see Barthel on the field rather quickly if Johnson can't figure out a way to settle down.

Cleve Dean

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on April 16, 2005, 06:21:39 pm
All 3 QB's will gain immeasurable exsperience -vs- A Herring Blitzing D.

Where did you get the impression that Herring's D was a "Blitzing D"?

From day one he has said it will be balanced with the same formation on every play. They will play man, zone, blitz, etc... all from the same formation. But blitzing will not be emphasized.

Kilgor

A Q&A session with then N.C. State defensive coordinator Reggie Herring.

http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/311197.html

" The first question from a fan centered around NC State's exclusive use of man-to-man coverage and constant blitzing, with the fan wondering why it seemed the staff didn't adjust against Miami. Coach Herring responded with a surprising answer, stating that the Wolfpack has used two all-out blitzes only twice this year, with both coming against Miami. He said that to the naked eye it may seem that the Wolfpack is always blitzing and using man coverage, but that's not the case.

NC State utilizes a 'three-deep fire zone' coverage with constant safety help. They use these type of blitzes with zone coverage on the back end to disrupt the running game. What appears to be an all-out blitz really isn't, and safety help should always be there for defenders.

On the play against Miami when the Hurricanes beat NC State deep for a score on a corner route, Coach Herring said the Wolfpack was actually in two-deep coverage but the safety bit on play-action and was out of position to help. Herring remarked that analysts and fans have the impression that NC State uses an all-out blitz/man coverage defense when that's really not the case. The Wolfpack uses a lot of three-deep fire zone coverage that relies on pressure up front from the linebackers with corners showing press coverage but often dropping back into the three-deep fire zone. It's a defense that can be very confusing to opposing offenses and has yielded great success for NC State. "

http://www.wholehogsports.com/story_print.php?paper=adg&storyid=112469

"The defense introduced a zone blitz for the first time this spring and pressured the quarterback occasionally, something Arkansas did little of last season."

http://www. [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/archive/2005/03/15/HarryKing/318715.html

"Arkansas will be in a 4-3 and "look the same on every snap, but we'll fire a bullet from any area." However, there will never been an all-out blitz with no safety unless the other team is inside the 10. Such tactics look good when they work, he said, but can be demoralizing when they fail."

Semper Hogelis

The problem we will have with the whole QB thingy is. Barthel may very well be the best of the three come the fall. But if RJ is named the starter. Barthel, and Mort will be cool with that. But, If someone besides RJ is named the starter. HDN will have a major case of pouting going with RJ. aAa Tavarius Jackson. Hey, I'm with ya guy's. The best man needs to be the one out there. Granted we don't have much to choose from. But I wouldn't put it past HDN to go with RJ even if he isn't the best. I can see it coming. If one of the other two become the man. RJ is off to a directional in Mississippi, or UCA. Etc.....
I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Semper Hogelis on April 16, 2005, 10:19:26 pm
But, If someone besides RJ is named the starter. HDN will have a major case of pouting going with RJ. aAa Tavarius Jackson.

If one of the other two become the man. RJ is off to a directional in Mississippi, or UCA. Etc.....

And you know this how ?

pioneerhog

But, If someone besides RJ is named the starter. HDN will have a major case of pouting going with RJ. aAa Tavarius Jackson.
If this happens they can send him to Herring and I bet he will make him stop pouting.

Kilgor

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on April 16, 2005, 10:40:59 pm

If one of the other two become the man. RJ is off to a directional in Mississippi, or UCA. Etc.....

And you know this how ?

I too would be interested in how you came to say that.

Lando Calrissian

I'll answer for him:  HE DOESN'T KNOW.

Armchair coaches LOVE this time of year, because they get to make ridiculous statements based solely off of baseless speculation.

In regards to RJ, his losing of the starting job (which he may or may not get, who knows) is SOLELY on HIS shoulders.  Honestly, I'm not going to feel sorry for a guy that gets beaten out by 2 guys who have ZERO game experience.

I want the QB that will give us the best chance of winning to start.  Although it wasn't necessarily RJ's job to lose, he was/is still the obvious front-runner.  But I refuse to feel sorry for the QB that is beaten out.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Boarcephus

How highly recruited was Barthel coming out of highschool?   I know we signed him but I am curious how many other offers he had and did baseball scare off other would be suitors?
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

MBAHog

The problem we will have with the whole QB thingy is. Barthel may very well be the best of the three come the fall. But if RJ is named the starter. Barthel, and Mort will be cool with that. But, If someone besides RJ is named the starter. HDN will have a major case of pouting going with RJ. aAa Tavarius Jackson. Hey, I'm with ya guy's. The best man needs to be the one out there. Granted we don't have much to choose from. But I wouldn't put it past HDN to go with RJ even if he isn't the best. I can see it coming. If one of the other two become the man. RJ is off to a directional in Mississippi, or UCA. Etc.....

You obviously have never met Robert Johnson.

Semper Hogelis

I have meet Robert Johnson. I fine young man. I work with the program, not as a university employee though. That has nothing to do with my opinion. I never said he isn't a good kid. Only saying saying that if he isn't the starter after paying his dues, and waiting in the wings behind Matt, there will be a problem. I should have left the post the way I always do. " In my own opinion, and I don't know a damn thing".
I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....