Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The deal on The Real Deal

Started by mikeirwin, April 16, 2005, 12:01:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

After just one day it looks like a big success.
The crowd at Bud Walton was decent. About 2,500.
One kid waved a sign during the Indianapolis game that read CHOOSE ARKANSAS.
Mike Conley told me Heath faces an uphill fight trying to land Conley Jr. and Greg Oden. A year ago he was right in there. But Heath's shaky job situation may hurt Arkansas chances.
On the other hand it turns out that Fayetteville is an ideal place to hold a big AAU event. At one point tonight there were 10 games going on at the same time within a mile of each other.
That's what the AAU people look for. No long bus rides up and down freeways. Plus one of them told me that Fayetteville was a real friendly place compared to most he's he's been to.
Even the janitor at Bud Walton was doing his part. He came up with up a push cart so the coaches could unload lots of ice and Gatoraid for their teams.
If this becomes an annual event Hog basketball will prosper.

imtad16

Mike, in the recruiting with Conely Jr. and Oden when you say and uphill battle, do you think that means and uphill battle that we can overcome to sign one of them? or an uphill battle that we can just say well forget it? Also do you think the "Real Deal" is helping tug some recruits to the Hogs as we speak. And again assuming Oden and Conely Jr. have a good time this weekend will that help us vault up their list?

Lando Calrissian

Like I said in another thread, I've played in these tournaments (about 6-7 years ago) in Memphis and Dallas...and the facilities we have in NW Ark are FAR superior to ones that those two "bigger" cities.

To me, the simple fact they're playing it here already makes it a success.

The good attendance is a bonus, but in the end it's not something that we should judge the ultimate conclusion of this whole deal on.

They're actually doing it here, and to me that equals positives all the way across the board.

One thing's for sure is that it certainly doesn't hurt.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

Macgyver_Hawg

Mike, what well known coaches have you seen/talked to - or will talk to at this event?

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

pioneerhog

I hope some of these top recruits will see what Arkansas has to offer them and will decide to come to Arkansas. I think haveing these tourney right here at our place should help alot, now we just have to wait and see if Heath can pull any of them in here.

Fatty McGee

If Heath doesn't go after Oden and he signs with someone else, he'll be crucified.  If he does go after Oden and he goes pro, he'll be crucified. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Razorod

I think most of us on this board realize he's either going to be in the NBA or playing college somewhere else. I have no illusions that either Oden or Conley will play their bb at the UA.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

Brett Hitman Hog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 16, 2005, 12:56:50 pm
If Heath doesn't go after Oden and he signs with someone else, he'll be crucified. If he does go after Oden and he goes pro, he'll be crucified.
I disagree ... at this point there are a number of players that are out of reach.  That's the simple fact, if Heath goes after Oden and gets him that's great.  If he goes after Oden and doesn't get him well who would really be surprised?  If we were an elite team it would be different, but we're in the bowels of mediocrity and great recruits won't show up unless they just really have a passion for playing in Fayetteville or for Heath.

Semper Hogelis

You can pretty much count on. Were one goes. The other will follow. Jr. might like to come to the U of A. But I doubt that Oden would. If Oden doesn't turn pro. You will see him and Jr. on the same college team. Hoping the new age limit in the NBA goes through. Not so much for these guy's but for college BB in general. As always. "In my opinion, and I don't know a damn thing".
I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Brett Hitman Hog

The_Bionic_Pig

April 16, 2005, 03:38:04 pm #12 Last Edit: April 16, 2005, 04:53:57 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Quote from: MacGyver_Hawg on April 16, 2005, 10:31:05 am
Mike, what well known coaches have you seen/talked to - or will talk to at this event?

MacGyver Kansas assistant coach Joe Dooley is in the house watching Xavier Keeling. Dooley was also spotted watching Mike Jones from the World Wide Renegades.  Illinois head coach Bruce Weber is  watching Jon Scheyer of the Illinois Warriors.  Coaches' from Arizona, Duke, Georgia Tech, Villanova, UCONN, Louisville, St. John's, Indiana and Stanford were all in the house to watch Lance Thomas in action.  Michigan Coach Tommy Amaker is  watching the Michigan Hurricanes and Tory Jackson and Tom Herzog. Along with Alex Legion, both are playing well.

Also, Coach Roy Williams is in the house watching Wayne Ellington. Tubby Smith and Tom Izzo have spent part of the morning watching the Michigan Hurricanes. Also, Coach Smith has also spent a little time watching the New Jersey on the next court over.

QuoteThanks for the update...
What caliber of players are these guys compared to their Nationwide counterparts?

In total it appears that 50, if not more, coaches' have already made their way to Bud Walton arena for play this morning Hitman ....I would say 75% of the top 150 in the Junior/Sophmore Class
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

hawkeyefan17

I saw an interview with Greg Oden on Cold Pizza last week and he said that Indiana was the favorite. I find that hard to believe.

mikeirwin

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on April 16, 2005, 03:49:55 pm
I saw an interview with Greg Oden on Cold Pizza last week and he said that Indiana was the favorite. I find that hard to believe.
Based on what I've heard I doubt that Conley or Oden will be Razorbacks but they're not the only fish in the pond in this tournament.
Most of the coaches will not talk to the media. They're scared we're gonna ask them to comment on a player and they have no interest in talking about how great Arkansas facilities are. So far Mike Anderson and Tom Izzo are the only coaches who haven't blown us off.

Kodiak

[quote author=mikeirwin
Most of the coaches will not talk to the media. They're scared we're gonna ask them to comment on a player and they have no interest in talking about how great Arkansas facilities are.

And why does that not suprise me????
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Kodiak on April 16, 2005, 05:37:21 pm
[quote author=mikeirwin
Most of the coaches will not talk to the media. They're scared we're gonna ask them to comment on a player and they have no interest in talking about how great Arkansas facilities are.

And why does that not suprise me????

They will probably only comment to their own media outlets/Guru's who will put a positive spin on anything said. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Brett Hitman Hog

QuoteThanks for the update...
What caliber of players are these guys compared to their Nationwide counterparts?

In total it appears that 50, if not more, coaches' have already made their way to Bud Walton arena for play this morning Hitman ....I would say 75% of the top 150 in the Junior/Sophmore Class
Thanks Stewie ... keep us posted on the happenings up there.