Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Can someone help me out...

Started by I'M EMBARRASSED, April 15, 2005, 06:14:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I'M EMBARRASSED

I'm at a loss as to why people think Spurrier won't make it in South Carolina.  His name alone will bring in big time recruits, he is in the epicenter of the best area to recruit, southeast,  and he's a good coach.  I'm not asking whether or not you like the guy.  What I am asking is why are people not even giving him a chance.  I, for one, am glad that he wasn't able to take away one of our little rock recruits, but do expect Madre to steal one occassionally. 

Why do I think Spurrier will succeed?  I can only go from my experience watching Florida.  He's always had the collegiate athletes to succeed.  He runs an offense that I love to watch.  I would love to go back to points being factored into the equation, espeically in the BCS.

Now, I'm not saying that I'm a proponent for Spurrier.  I like his schemes.  I don't like the guy.   

jabohog

I like Spurrier. I don't think he will have the kind of success in USC that he had in Florida because of a couple of things. I don't think he can get the kind of athlete that he had at Florida. Quarterback will be a big problem. Unlike the coaches before him, USC may be more successful than them, like beating us on a regular basis, but not the Vols, Bulldogs, Gators, etc. He may elevate USC some but not to a Florida level, especially year in and year out.

Porquemada

It's South Carolina's mascot that should scare off recruits. "Gamecocks" sounds appropriate for a Spurrier-led team though.

Brett Hitman Hog

I can't figure that out either, even ESPN.com has a poll with that as an option right now. I can't stand Steve "Superior."  The was he used to run up the games used to drive me nuts.  I know, point totals factored into the rankings back then, but c'mon.  Why will The Ole Ball Coach make it .. yeah, his name alone will bring in recruits, and yeah SC is in a great place to recruit.  But there is another factor that isn't mentioned.  Lou Holtz.  To build a program up it needs to start some where.  Once it hits a certain point it the bar needs to be raised.  The 'Cocks did pretty well under Holtz, but of course not as high as the AD wanted it go.  Enter Spurrier.  Gradual growth now has a new standard.  He as the program on an "up swing."  Don't be surprised when they start out playing Georgia on a regular basis.  It won't take Steve long there ... and he will get the recruits he wants.  He may not make it with the NFL attitudes, but when it comes to the college game and players he had it down ... and I don't think he has lost it.

abq

Quote from: Pork'n Beans on April 15, 2005, 06:52:23 pm
It's South Carolina's mascot that should scare off recruits. "Gamecocks" sounds appropriate for a Spurrier-led team though.

Like Granny Lou used to say, "Nothing can stop our young cocks. They're as hard as can be and ready to penetrate!"