Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where are they now?

Started by bcg_70, April 14, 2005, 01:26:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bcg_70

Maurice Clarrett - last I heard he ran a slow 40 at the combine.  Anyone know what his NFL prospects are?  Personally I think he's a selfish bastard.  He could have had a good career at Ohio State then made a lot money, but he couldn't wait.

Mark Pierce - any chance we'll ever see him play an NFL game?  I'm guessing he's still a free agent.

Do you think Saban will keep Tony Bua and will he get any playing time?  I'd like to see him (Bua) do well. 

PennHOG

Quote from: bcg_70 on April 14, 2005, 01:26:31 pm
Maurice Clarrett - last I heard he ran a slow 40 at the combine. Anyone know what his NFL prospects are? Personally I think he's a selfish bastard. He could have had a good career at Ohio State then made a lot money, but he couldn't wait.

Mark Pierce - any chance we'll ever see him play an NFL game? I'm guessing he's still a free agent.

Do you think Saban will keep Tony Bua and will he get any playing time? I'd like to see him (Bua) do well.

Pierce will never play in the NFL.  He should have never left Arkansas when he did.  Same for many of the other players that left the last couple of years.  Nutt needs to do a better job of convincing these kids to stay and improve their NFL chances.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Hoggysoprano

Quote from: PennHOG on April 14, 2005, 01:36:47 pm
Quote from: bcg_70 on April 14, 2005, 01:26:31 pm
Maurice Clarrett - last I heard he ran a slow 40 at the combine. Anyone know what his NFL prospects are? Personally I think he's a selfish bastard. He could have had a good career at Ohio State then made a lot money, but he couldn't wait.

Mark Pierce - any chance we'll ever see him play an NFL game? I'm guessing he's still a free agent.

Do you think Saban will keep Tony Bua and will he get any playing time? I'd like to see him (Bua) do well.

Pierce will never play in the NFL. He should have never left Arkansas when he did. Same for many of the other players that left the last couple of years. Nutt needs to do a better job of convincing these kids to stay and improve their NFL chances.

I think Pierce had flunked out so he really had no choice, with Hillis coming his carries were numbered.  I would see no reason why Saban wouldn't keep Bua, he is really good on special teams.  I think they are still waiting for Clarett to finish the forty somewhere.

hawgfan_18

seems like the last i heard on pierce was he was trying to make it in arena football, was getting looked at by the dallas desperados.  don't know if he made it.

I'M EMBARRASSED

Pierce burnt too many bridges on and off of the field.  Coach wouldn't have allowed him to come back.  Clarett is likely to be a free agent signee.  He may be picked up in the late rounds, but from what I've heard, he is not likely going to be picked.  I'd be surprised if he did.  You would think that Saban would keep Bua due to what he watched him do in the SEC.  He may not have the size and speed but heart makes up for a lot of that, in my opinion.  I think that Saban will give him another year to prove himself.  If he doesn't make it on special teams, he'll be gone.

Semper Hogelis

Your right on Pierce. He couldn't have came back anyway. Grades. The same for Richardson. Folks were saying he had gotten bad advice about leaving early. He wasn't able to come back for the same reason. Grades. Granted. He prob. quit going to class after he decided he was good enough for the NFL. Not sure on Peterson.
I need a monkey, a football and a bucket of grease. HY coaching search 2019....

rricha

Clarett will play in the nfl if the don't ban him for sueing them

I'M EMBARRASSED

Not to disappoint those of you who have the idea that our collegiate players are going to class and other misconceptions, but I have classes with athletes.  They attend less than I do.  I have been to classes where I have heard their names called out, and they haven't been there yet.  Our athletes are no different than those who are at other schools.  The only issue is that we've been caught recently.  There may not be as many "handshakes" as before, but there are still under-the-table issues.

One positive that I will note is that, after our basketball season, I overheard Olu and Dontelle talking about having to move up to the front of the class.  They haven't moved since then.  One of my classes has about thirty athletes total, mostly football players.  They are rarely there, except for Anthony Brown.  He's always in class.

WindyCityHog

As bad as Clarett showed in the combines.....I bet he still gets drafted.  Not first day.....but someone will take the chance on him.  Any takers?

VT HOG

I heard that Saban has moved Bua back to safety last season he was an OLB. I'm sure he'll keep him. I remember a play that Bua made in the 2002 LSU game that gave MJ the chance for the Miracle on Markham. It was 3rd down and the RB looked like he was going to get a first down that would've iced the game ,but Bua came out of nowhere and pulled him backwards. I'm sure Saban remembers plays like that Bua made against the Tigers.

bcg_70

When I was in school at La Tech I had a class with Willie Roaf, if I remember correctly he came to class once or twice.

Pigheaded

Quote from: Marty Houston's Boy on April 15, 2005, 08:48:44 am
Quote from: hogsrus5 on April 14, 2005, 11:19:45 pm
Not to disappoint those of you who have the idea that our collegiate players are going to class and other misconceptions, but I have classes with athletes. They attend less than I do. I have been to classes where I have heard their names called out, and they haven't been there yet. Our athletes are no different than those who are at other schools. The only issue is that we've been caught recently. There may not be as many "handshakes" as before, but there are still under-the-table issues.

One positive that I will note is that, after our basketball season, I overheard Olu and Dontelle talking about having to move up to the front of the class. They haven't moved since then. One of my classes has about thirty athletes total, mostly football players. They are rarely there, except for Anthony Brown. He's always in class.

Nice to see some reality on this board.......although your post will probably go unnoticed by most, kudos to you for speaking the truth.....Coaches say that they are about a lot of things: academics, morality, right and wrong, fundamentals, teamwork, etc....but how many of them actually "instill" it into their program?  I think we all know a guy on the hill whose kids do the right thing.......in fact, he followed up a guy who actually practiced what he preached....

This is why you see these breaking news stories on ESPN, CNN, FOX etal about these poor mistreated/abused athletes, years later, when they can't get a job because they can't read after spending four years at the University of (fill in the blank). No darn! Try spending some time in the remedial reading classes and then GO TO CLASS. Maybe you'll freaking learn something.

rricha