Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corliss Williamson to retire

Started by batmanfan, September 25, 2007, 08:59:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

batmanfan

The last player on the championship team to still be playing plans to hang i up before the season.  Not a great NBA career, but not damn bad either for a 6-6 PF.

Congrats Corliss, and thanks for everything.

BAT
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

cosmodrum

He had a solid NBA career. No HOFamer, but did contribute consistently for over a decade. Oh, and he's a World Champion and a good guy.

Now THAT's how you represent the Great State of Arkansas.

:razorback:
Go away, batin'

kenton

Congrats.  I remember watching him with my dad during the '94 title game.  I was about 9 or 10.
Hogville is full of winners and smiters.

I'm Kenton Rogers from somewhere in Texas and I APPROVE THIS POST

WMS > RRS
RRS < WMS
WMS = KING

Hogville: IF YOU CAN'T SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW THEN I'M GOING TO DEMEAN YOU BY CALLING THE REPOST POLICE.  Most commonly used phrase on Hogville: Read more.  Post less.  (darn, take your own advice!)

Hollywood_HOGan45

my idol growing up.

favorite all time player

won 6th man of the year and averaged 17 points a game for the Kings in his 4th year.

Final Four MVP and got to the title game again

20 points a game in the championship year.

now that is a winner and a fighter

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: kenton on September 25, 2007, 09:06:50 am
Congrats.  I remember watching him with my dad during the '94 title game.  I was about 9 or 10.
You don't know how old you were in April of 1994? Weird.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

kenton

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on September 25, 2007, 09:44:50 am
Quote from: kenton on September 25, 2007, 09:06:50 am
You don't know how old you were in April of 1994? Weird.

September 2007 - 23
April 1994 - 9.  Turn 10 in July.

Sorry for not being as accurate as I could have been.  You got me.
Hogville is full of winners and smiters.

I'm Kenton Rogers from somewhere in Texas and I APPROVE THIS POST

WMS > RRS
RRS < WMS
WMS = KING

Hogville: IF YOU CAN'T SHOW ME SOMETHING NEW THEN I'M GOING TO DEMEAN YOU BY CALLING THE REPOST POLICE.  Most commonly used phrase on Hogville: Read more.  Post less.  (darn, take your own advice!)

clifflee4mvp

Quote from: batmanfan on September 25, 2007, 08:59:46 am
The last player on the championship team to still be playing plans to hang i up before the season.  Not a great NBA career, but not damn bad either for a 6-6 PF.

Congrats Corliss, and thanks for everything.

BAT

do you have a link for this???
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Razorsharp

I was in school the same time that Corliss was at UofA and he was truely great.  I saw him the other day and he is alot smaller than he was in college.  He will always be the big nasty though.  He  will always represent the best of Arkansas Basketball.
Hire Gus!

razorson

Class act, thanks for the memories Big Nasty.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

artyhog

I was stationed in Fayettiville, NC at Pope AFB when the Hogs beat Duke for the NC title.  I used that a ammo with all the Duke folks that wanted to talk trash.  It got sickening listening to the North Carolina and Duke punks talking about their teams.

Thanks you Corliss and the rest of the '94 National Championship team for making my Century.

I was in Saudi Aribia for teh "95 NC title game.  It was 2:30 am when it started.  Would have loved a victory there as well.

HatfieldHawg

I grew up in Russellville and Corliss was a rockstar ever since he shattered the backboard in 8th grade.  He comes from a great family and was a class act all around and a role model for many Arkansans.  He was the best basketball player this state ever produced.  Congrats Corliss and enjoy that fat NBA pension now that you are retiring after 11 (maybe 12) years. 

ColumbianHog

This is all I could find.  You have to be an insider to read more.  Scroll down to Williamson's pic.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors?&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba%2ffeatures%2frumors

HatfieldHawg

Snoop Hoggy Hog

September 25, 2007, 06:39:45 pm #15 Last Edit: September 25, 2007, 06:50:39 pm by Snoop Hoggy Hog
Quote from: HatfieldHawg on September 25, 2007, 12:04:19 pm
I grew up in Russellville and Corliss was a rockstar ever since he shattered the backboard in 8th grade.  He comes from a great family and was a class act all around and a role model for many Arkansans.  He was the best basketball player this state ever produced.  Congrats Corliss and enjoy that fat NBA pension now that you are retiring after 11 (maybe 12) years. 

That's a pretty bold statement saying "He was the best basketball player this state ever produced". I can think of a few others that were much better. Pippen, Brewer SR, Moncrief...

Smoke on the water

I also saw where he is going to be an assistant at Arkansas Baptist College.  The notice in the courier was from there also.

3kgthog

And we still can't get a '94 championship team reunion. I think we should start an email campaign to Coach Pelphrey and those in the athletic dept. demanding that they honor that team. With Frank on the way out it's high time to quit being petty and let Nolan and his team have center court at Bud Walton for five minutes. It wouldn't kill anyone to put their differences aside for one night.

slopinhogs

thanks for the memories Corlis tell Tyrone hello for me Kelly G's dad :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

joeyself

This part of the Courier article caught my attention:

Former Russellville High School Cyclone, Arkansas Razorback and NBA champion Corliss Williamson will announce his retirement from the NBA during a 1:30 p.m. press conference at the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame in Little Rock on Wednesday, according to a press release sent out Monday by Arkansas Baptist College.

I'll readily admit I don't keep up with Williamson that much, so it may be old new--what's his association with Arkansas Baptist College that it would sending out the presser?

JcS
"Real failure always starts with someone doing something stupid."  Anna Conroy in SLINGS AND ARROWS

jry04

Quote from: joeyself on September 26, 2007, 07:13:36 am
This part of the Courier article caught my attention:

Former Russellville High School Cyclone, Arkansas Razorback and NBA champion Corliss Williamson will announce his retirement from the NBA during a 1:30 p.m. press conference at the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame in Little Rock on Wednesday, according to a press release sent out Monday by Arkansas Baptist College.

I'll readily admit I don't keep up with Williamson that much, so it may be old new--what's his association with Arkansas Baptist College that it would sending out the presser?

JcS

He is taking a job there as an assistant coach.

VoR

Corliss -- as the song goes -- "Thanks for the memories"
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

hillhog

Speaking of the greatest BB player from Arkansas----does anyone on here remember a player from Dover/ Ark Tech  back around 1960 by the name of J P Lovelady?? Tremendous player

HognotinMemphis

Not by a long shot. Sidney Moncrief is the best bball player that the State of Arkansas has ever produced. And the facts back it up. Check out his stats in college AND in the NBA. Sidney was head and shoulders better than Williamson, especially pound for pound. Sidney was shorter, weighed less and played guard and still out-rebounded Corliss in his career at U of A.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Snoop Hoggy Hog

October 03, 2007, 05:13:30 pm #24 Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 05:33:00 pm by Snoop Hoggy Hog
Quote from: MarkinMemphis on October 03, 2007, 01:07:29 pm

Not by a long shot. Sidney Moncrief is the best bball player that the State of Arkansas has ever produced. And the facts back it up. Check out his stats in college AND in the NBA. Sidney was head and shoulders better than Williamson, especially pound for pound. Sidney was shorter, weighed less and played guard and still out-rebounded Corliss in his career at U of A.

Scottie Pippen is the best player the State of Arkansas has ever produced. I'm not saying Scottie is head and shoulders better then Moncrief, but Scottie changed the way the SF position is played. And if you want to go by stats Pippen's are better than Sidney's. Sidney's college numbers are about the same as Pippens, but we all know Pippen's story.

http://www.nba.com/history/players/pippen_bio.html
http://hoopedia.nba.com/index.php/Sidney_Moncrief#Career_Statistics

Scroll to the bottom for both NBA career stats.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/moncrsi01.html
http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=PIPPESC01

Scroll to bottom for both College stats.

clifflee4mvp

Pippen- UCA
Moncrief- UA

UA > UCA

Moncrief > Pippen

Pippen's oppurtunites were opened up because of all the focus on Jordan. Not saying he wasn't a great player, just that when he went to the blazers, rockets, etc he wasn't nearly as good and it wasn't all because of his age.
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

BrooklynRoss

Corliss? I had a bunch of classes with him at the U of A and had to play the bastard 3 times a year in high school. He was a super cool guy, smart, funny, and a monster on the court. I wish him the best.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BrooklynRoss on October 04, 2007, 01:44:53 pm
Corliss? I had a bunch of classes with him at the U of A and had to play the bastard 3 times a year in high school. He was a super cool guy, smart, funny, and a monster on the court. I wish him the best.
He told me he doesn't remember you.