Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rick Dickson tidbits

Started by riccoar, September 06, 2007, 04:13:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

riccoar

Wally says in his column this morning that Tulane's Rick Dickson could be the name rising to the top.  His column is not up on wholehogsports.com yet.  I'm sure someone will link it later.  FWIW, he is a graduate of Tulsa University.

taintlint

Wally said on the radio a day or two ago that the new AD had 11 letters in his name. Lets see...... "Rick Dickson" or who else has 11 letters......."HOUSTON NUTT"

rtom

houston nutt would be a very poor choice for ad and im sure there is no chance of that happening...think mass defection of donations would occur...i know none of my money would flow to the UofA if he was named ad...dickson of tulane would be a much better choice..the ad needs to be a person that is NOT a coach and one that would not meddle like broyles has done for years

HoggySTruman

Quote from: taintlint on September 06, 2007, 04:22:30 am
Wally said on the radio a day or two ago that the new AD had 11 letters in his name. Lets see...... "Rick Dickson" or who else has 11 letters......."HOUSTON NUTT"
please dont say that

Porkem

Just read Wally's column too.  He seems like as good a choice as any.  Tulane went through a tough time after Katrina and I do remember being impressed by how hard the administration worked hard to help the students.  I still wish we could get Terry Don Phillips...but a Broyles man might be reluctant to pull the trigger on Dale.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: butchdavisisback on September 06, 2007, 06:07:53 am
Just read Wally's column too.  He seems like as good a choice as any.  Tulane went through a tough time after Katrina and I do remember being impressed by how hard the administration worked hard to help the students.  I still wish we could get Terry Don Phillips...but a Broyles man might be reluctant to pull the trigger on Dale.

I seriously doubt Wally knows who it will be.  He's not exactly "in the know" at the BAC. 

I don't know why people think some one outside the program (or not past affiliated with JFB) will be more likely to fire HDN.  Let's say we hire this Tulane guy.  Do you think he is going to fire HDN for anything that might have happened in the past not under his watch?  I doubt it.  He will start him out with a clean slate and evaluate HDN's performance each year like most AD's do with their head coaches. 

My point is, 1.  I doubt Wally knows anything, and 2.  Wake up if you think any NEW AD is going to have a quick trigger when firing a head coach.

hawgalujah

Once a  :razorback:, Always a  :razorback:..Unless you're a Nutt!

Porkem

Yeah I know what you're saying John...the new AD would give Dale a clean slate...to a certain extent.  But, it's like when a repeat offender keeps getting in trouble.  The crimes of the past are factored into the equation as well.  Even though Dale's past shenanigans didn't happen on the new AD's watch...Dale's crime at the time would have a more severe consequence.
Quote from: RzrbkJohn on September 06, 2007, 06:14:22 am

I seriously doubt Wally knows who it will be.  He's not exactly "in the know" at the BAC. 

I don't know why people think some one outside the program (or not past affiliated with JFB) will be more likely to fire HDN.  Let's say we hire this Tulane guy.  Do you think he is going to fire HDN for anything that might have happened in the past not under his watch?  I doubt it.  He will start him out with a clean slate and evaluate HDN's performance each year like most AD's do with their head coaches. 

My point is, 1.  I doubt Wally knows anything, and 2.  Wake up if you think any NEW AD is going to have a quick trigger when firing a head coach.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: butchdavisisback on September 06, 2007, 06:25:27 am
Yeah I know what you're saying John...the new AD would give Dale a clean slate...to a certain extent.  But, it's like when a repeat offender keeps getting in trouble.  The crimes of the past are factored into the equation as well.  Even though Dale's past shenanigans didn't happen on the new AD's watch...Dale's crime at the time would have a more severe consequence.

You are assuming the new AD will view HDN's past as "crimes".

He might not.

Porkem

Frank has the "Broyles" complex, but Rick has "Dickson Street."  He's off to a good start.

Porkahontas

Quote from: opineonswine on September 06, 2007, 06:35:07 am
The apparent new AD is Rick Dickson, a native of Tulsa, Okla.  He attended Bishop Kelley High School and the University of Tulsa.  He was later to become the AD at Tulsa where among other things he hired an up and coming African American basketball coach by the name of Tubby Smith.

After being the AD at Tulsa for 6 years, he moved to Washington State where he was the AD gaining invaluable BCS/PAC 10 experience.  While there his football coach, Mike Price, led Wash State to their first Rose Bowl in like 35 years.

He left Wash State to become the AD at Tulane where the school offered him free tuition for all 4 of his children to attend any school in America.  He weathered (no pun intended) the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and was lauded by many for his tenacity, courage and compassion for student-athletes in that dark day for New Orleans.

He turned down the AD job at TCU while at Wash State and is mentioned, it seems, for nearly every open job over the past few years including Kansas, Texas Tech, SMU and the University of South Florida.

Interestingly, he has experience in firing head coaches with long tenures as he fired the Tulane football coach after 8 years and after he had endured the Katrina aftermath citing his inability to take the program where it needed to be.  He replaced him with Bob Toledo, a name most are familiar with.

He is widely respected in the AD profession and has in total, about 18 years experience.  He has Oklahoma connections obviously, having hired Eddie Sutton assistant at Wash State for example.  He also hired and later had to fire a Tubby Smith assistant for the head coaching job at Tulane.

Wally gives you a bunch of other good info in today's paper.

Now the obvious question...

Does he have any long-standing ties with the bunch of snakes we have up there right now?

Brand X Hog Fan

If he hired Price at WSU, then he pobably also hire Kelvin Sampson there as well which was another great hire for the school.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Melhog

Quote from: opineonswine on September 06, 2007, 06:37:31 am
Quote from: taintlint on September 06, 2007, 04:22:30 am

The 11 letters thing was a total smokescreen by Wally.  He wasn't ready to reveal the name.  The man he was talking about on the radio is/was Rick Dickson.

I hope this is correct. If so, I take back previous posts that said we would hire someone JW could control. If this is the hire, then I was wrong.  I'm glad i was.

NateMan

Eric Cartman

so, i guess the bigger question is....

what do the darksiders think of this move?

"You're breaking my balls."   "Wuteva, I do what I want!"   "Sweeeeeet!"   "Lame"   "Weak"
"You guys, You guys!" (Excited by something he has found) "I will kick you squah in the nuts!"

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: opineonswine on September 06, 2007, 06:38:21 am

Oh the naive thoughts we often have.

What's naiive??  Please share.

Hawgon

I think this could be the perfect hire.  Being from Tulsa, he is familiar with Arkansas athletics and what they should be.  He will already know a good bit about Arkansas tradition and expectations.  On the other hand, he probably doesn't have any obvious ties to any of the current power players over here.  At the same time, he is an experienced administrator in his own right and will not kowtow to Broyles or anyone else.

If this is the hire, then I must apologize a little bit to White.  This would probably be an excellent hire.

HognotinMemphis

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! This would be a fantastic hire for the U of A. Obviously, Broyles and Nutt have zero input on this hire because Dickson is the furthest thing from being a member of the U of A Good Ole Boy club.

This guy can take the U of A to new heights. Chancellor White is doing his job if this is accurate info on the AD situation.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Michaelt

OP, what do you think? Does this rumor have legs??
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Quote from: ballhog24 on September 06, 2007, 08:34:09 am
OP, what do you think? Does this rumor have legs??
Or is it another Gillispie like rumor?

Hawgon

What is the best way to neutralize a silver bullet?  Hire someone immune to it.

Hawgon

Maybe he'll hire Mike Price again.

Hawg_Heaven

So, it looks like this guy is a front-runner according to Wally.

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/200650

RzrbkJohn

Hawg_Heaven

Quote from: RzrbkJohn on September 06, 2007, 08:54:53 am
Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on September 06, 2007, 08:53:42 am

"according to Wally"

Yeah, but Wally doesn't usually put stuff like that in the paper unless he has good sources.

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on September 06, 2007, 08:55:28 am
Quote from: RzrbkJohn on September 06, 2007, 08:54:53 am
Quote from: Hawg_Heaven on September 06, 2007, 08:53:42 am

"according to Wally"

Yeah, but Wally doesn't usually put stuff like that in the paper unless he has good sources.

Or unless he's working on his own personal agenda.

Sorry, just not a big Wally fan.  If he knows who our next AD is, he's in very small company. 

PaleHorse

Dudley Dawson said this on "Bo's Show" about a month ago.
Hog Database \ Arkansas Razorback Football History

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: PaleHorse on September 06, 2007, 08:57:53 am
Dudley Dawson said this on "Bo's Show" about a month ago.

Apparently he's a good fundraiser and showed great leadership after Katrina.  Not sure about his hiring skills.  I can't recall any former Tulane coaches that achieved success.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: opineonswine on September 06, 2007, 06:35:07 am
The apparent new AD is Rick Dickson, a native of Tulsa, Okla.  He attended Bishop Kelley High School and the University of Tulsa.  He was later to become the AD at Tulsa where among other things he hired an up and coming African American basketball coach by the name of Tubby Smith.

After being the AD at Tulsa for 6 years, he moved to Washington State where he was the AD gaining invaluable BCS/PAC 10 experience.  While there his football coach, Mike Price, led Wash State to their first Rose Bowl in 67 years.

He left Wash State to become the AD at Tulane where the school offered him free tuition for all 4 of his children to attend any school in America.  He weathered (no pun intended) the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina and was lauded by many for his tenacity, courage and compassion for student-athletes in that dark day for New Orleans.

He turned down the AD job at TCU while at Wash State and is mentioned, it seems, for nearly every open job over the past few years including Kansas, Texas Tech, SMU and the University of South Florida.

Interestingly, he has experience in firing head coaches with long tenures as he fired the Tulane football coach after 8 years and after he had endured the Katrina aftermath citing his inability to take the program where it needed to be.  He replaced him with Bob Toledo, a name most are familiar with.

He is widely respected in the AD profession and has in total, about 18 years experience.  He has Oklahoma connections obviously, having hired Eddie Sutton assistant at Wash State for example.  He also hired and later had to fire a Tubby Smith assistant for the head coaching job at Tulane.

Wally gives you a bunch of other good info in today's paper.
Wow....great info on Dickson.  Awesome.  Thanks.

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: opineonswine on September 06, 2007, 09:04:15 am
From an article about the search for new AD at Texas Tech:  "When he was a vibrant, 38-year-old from Tulsa, I remember thinking Dickson had the look of  an up and comer. Well, somebody substantiated my hunch. Washington State
gave Dickson the key to its sports world not long after."

OS............you should be this guys agent........

PaleHorse

Wasn't Tulane a step down from WSU?  Why would he do that?
Hog Database \ Arkansas Razorback Football History

Nutts and Bolts

I disagree on both your points.

1.   If you think Wally is not in the know, then you must not know who Wally Hall is... Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a fan of WH but, he IS in the know.

2.   There is not One SMART new AD (IMO) that would come in here and let the dark cloud continue.  The dork is gone.. No, it will not be a "Public" firing but you can bet that Nutt will resign for a new job somewhere else. 
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

ceegar

Maybe he is bringing Toledo w/ him.
Go Hogs. Go Noles.

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on September 06, 2007, 09:32:03 am

1.   If you think Wally is not in the know, then you must not know who Wally Hall is... Don't get me wrong, I am NOT a fan of WH but, he IS in the know.

2.   There is not One SMART new AD (IMO) that would come in here and let the dark cloud continue.  The dork is gone.. No, it will not be a "Public" firing but you can bet that Nutt will resign for a new job somewhere else. 

As far as him being in the know, the way he has either upstaged or alienated himself from the BAC, I don't see how he could be.........at least with them.

I think WHO the AD is will determine if Nutt resigns.  And let be real, he is NOT going to resign if he doesn't have a job to leave to.  What makes you think a new AD won't let the dark cloud continue when the BOT that hires him allows it to continue?  

BartIV

Rick Dickson is the athletic director of Tulane University, USA. Since he took over, Tulane teams have won nine Conference USA Championships. Tulane teams have also advanced to NCAA postseason play 15 times (counting three NCAA Tournament appearances each by the Green Wave women's basketball and men's tennis teams). Tulane also made it to the 2001 College World Series.

Dickson is a graduate of Bishop Kelley High School in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the University of Tulsa. Previously he was athletic director at Washington State University.

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: BartIV on September 06, 2007, 09:42:10 am
Rick Dickson is the athletic director of Tulane University, USA. Since he took over, Tulane teams have won nine Conference USA Championships. Tulane teams have also advanced to NCAA postseason play 15 times (counting three NCAA Tournament appearances each by the Green Wave women’s basketball and men’s tennis teams). Tulane also made it to the 2001 College World Series.

Dickson is a graduate of Bishop Kelley High School in Tulsa, Oklahoma and the University of Tulsa. Previously he was athletic director at Washington State University.

9 championships in what sport?  Water polo?  Arkansas can brag the same (and greater) accomplishments until you find out it's track.

Championships in non-revenue sports are nice to have.

Championships in revenue sports are what raise programs to high levels.

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: donewithdale on September 06, 2007, 09:45:45 am
Quote from: RzrbkJohn on September 06, 2007, 09:39:00 am
Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on September 06, 2007, 09:32:03 am

As far as him being in the know, the way he has either upstaged or alienated himself from the BAC, I don't see how he could be.........at least with them.

I think WHO the AD is will determine if Nutt resigns.  And let be real, he is NOT going to resign if he doesn't have a job to leave to.  What makes you think a new AD won't let the dark cloud continue when the BOT that hires him allows it to continue?  

Why do think this news has to come from the BAC?  Maybe this search is truly being done by White independent of the BAC.  Sources exist outside of the BAC. 

Point taken.  And a great point at that.  Thanks done!

budcampbellfan

Opineonswine is very incouraging.  Thanks. 

I really like the idea that Dickson is good at firing people.  (also seems to have been pretty good at hiring some too.)
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Wayne Watson

Wally did say his name had 11 letters on Sports Rap!   ;)
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

JIHawg

I bet he knows Nolan, with the Tulsa background.

This would be a tremendous hire.  Kudos to John White.

hogwildinhouston

Quote from: JIHawg on September 06, 2007, 10:17:14 am
I bet he knows Nolan, with the Tulsa background.

This would be a tremendous hire.  Kudos to John White.

Absolutely agree.  If Dickson is the choice, then White has made a great hire under pretty intense pressure.  He's also done so in one of the most secretive searches in the history of Arkansas.

Fatty McGee

Dickson also hired Tubby at Tulsa, starting a pretty good run of good bball coaches for them.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: opineonswine on September 06, 2007, 10:52:03 am
Quote from: PaleHorse on September 06, 2007, 09:24:51 am

He left Wash State to become the AD at Tulane where the school offered him free tuition for all 4 of his children to attend any school in America.   And maybe he wanted to be back closer to home.

Swine.......do you know if he has interest in Arkansas?  And what is his pre-AD or pre-admin experience?

Heightshog

The football record since he took over is just awful.  This team has not even been close to the conference championship in one of the worst conferences in division one football.  I'm not going to even bother looking at the basketball record, I'm sure its just as bad.  We can do better than this.

2006  4-8
2005  2-9
2004  5-6
2003  5-7
2002  8-5
2001  3-9
2000  6-5 

RzrbkJohn

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on September 06, 2007, 12:10:03 pm
Quote from: RzrbkJohn on September 06, 2007, 12:01:47 pm
Quote from: MarkinMemphis on September 06, 2007, 11:50:09 am
Quote from: RzrbkJohn on September 06, 2007, 09:44:52 am
Quote from: BartIV on September 06, 2007, 09:42:10 am
Rick Dickson is the athletic director of Tulane University, USA. Since he took over, Tulane teams have won nine Conference USA Championships. Tulane teams have also advanced to NCAA postseason play 15 times (counting three NCAA Tournament appearances each by the Green Wave women’s basketball and men’s tennis teams). Tulane also made it to the 2001 College World Series.

9 championships in what sport?  Water polo?  Arkansas can brag the same (and greater) accomplishments until you find out it's track.

Championships in non-revenue sports are nice to have.

Championships in revenue sports are what raise programs to high levels.
It's Tulane, dork.

Not exactly known for their athletics. It's a well-respected private academic institution.

HOW THE HECK R U GOING TO CALL ME A DORK AND THEN PROVE THE VERY POINT I WAS MAKING????

"Not exactly known for their athletics"................duh.  That's what I was saying.  And now we're hiring a schools AD that, to quote YOU, "is not exactly known for their athletics"

So I guess you are calling yourself a dork?

Guess again. We may have said the same thing, but your intended point and my intended point are exactly opposite one another. You do not understand a simple concept, thus my choosing to address you with the term, "dork".

Well here's another difference.  I choose not to insult people on here that I disagree with on here. 

I think I read that somewhere in the rules.

oldfart

Quote from: opineonswine on September 06, 2007, 10:52:03 am
Quote from: PaleHorse on September 06, 2007, 09:24:51 am

He left Wash State to become the AD at Tulane where the school offered him free tuition for all 4 of his children to attend any school in America.   And maybe he wanted to be back closer to home.

also, if you have ever been to Pullman WA you might understand why anyone would want to leave there at the first opportunity.... Pullman to New Orleans? no comparison!!

abraHAM_lincoln

Quote from: Eric Cartman on September 06, 2007, 07:46:09 am
so, i guess the bigger question is....

what do the darksiders think of this move?

He is not associated in any overt way with Frank and Nutt, so I am willing to give him a chance, and the benefit of the doubt. 

However, being that Frank is going to remain for an "undisclosed" amount of time to help in the transition and oversee stuff, I don't care who we hire... Frank will be the True AD still, and that loser, adolecent pant-load of a coach, nutt will still be here sucking the Fun out of the Razorback football program.

tolerati

I hope it comes true then. Hopefully we will find out very soon.
"Show me a quarterback who isn't cocky, and I'll show you a quarterback who isn't worth a damn." - Darrell Royal

Little Billy Jr.

If it's a choice between you and Wally I'll take Wally. My guess is you are the one who knows nothing. Also if your thought process worked correctly you would know that there is a reason why a new AD is being hired. The old AD allowed a mess to develop. The new AD's first order of business will be to clean up that mess.

PintailKiller

I think he sounds like a good choice and one that doesn't settle for mediocrity.  Tulane has strict admission standards and if you can win in anything there - he should be able to come to Arkansas and return our entire athletic program to a top 10 status.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."