Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eye on Bama at Vandy this week.

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, September 04, 2007, 05:43:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

September 04, 2007, 05:43:15 pm Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 10:30:26 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
With a week off I am sure everyone will be watching with great interest, the Alabama-Vanderbilt game this weekend. This should be a pretty good game as Vanderbilt has shown signs of becoming a competitive team again. It is hard to guage if Alabama or Vandy is on the way back since both played relative "nobodys" last weekend. But on the other hand, as we have recently been educated, perceived "nobody's" can slip up and bite you in your proverbial hindquarters. Still, Bama playing Western Carolina and beating them 52-6 is not something you want to hang your hat on anymore than Vandy taking Richmond to the woodshed to the tune of 41-17. Last week's games produced the following for these two teams:

Alabama:
547 yds of total offense, defensively allowing 247 yards with 171 of those coming through the air.
Vanderbilt:
446 yds of total offense, defensively allowing 310 yards with 161 of those coming through the air.

Since neither of the teams played anyone of real repute it is difficult to guage how far the teams have come, but it could be said that they at least played teams of similar caliber this past week. Is that enough to make a comparison? Ehhh, I'm not sure.

In any case, I think Alabama will have their way with Vanderbilt this coming week to the tune of 31-17. That will set the stage for our showdown the following week.
Go Hogs Go!

slopinhogs

i'm not so sure Bama will take Vandy. i think Vandy wins this one.
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

PorkSoda

Would Saban be on the Hotseat if he lost to Vandy?  I don't think he will let that happen.  it may be close, but I think Bama wins by more than a touchdown
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: slopinhogs on September 04, 2007, 06:06:06 pm
i'm not so sure Bama will take Vandy. i think Vandy wins this one.

I just can't see that happening. Vanderbilt may be resurgent, but Alabama has had good talent even when they had down years. They always have great talent and this year is no exception. They would have beat us last year had their FG kicker not been absolutely atrocious. I just gotta believe that Bama takes this one by about 2 TD's.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PowderHawg on September 04, 2007, 06:21:34 pm
Would Saban be on the Hotseat if he lost to Vandy?  I don't think he will let that happen.  it may be close, but I think Bama wins by more than a touchdown

Saban will not allow Alabama to lose this game.....you are right. But if he did, at this early stage of the relationship between he and Alabama(while the honeymoon is still on), if he did lose, he might be tarred and feathered, but just not run out of town on a rail. :)
Go Hogs Go!

WBOBO

i'm right there with you slopinhogs.  i think it will come down to a critical posession in the fourth qtr,
and could go either way.  i'll side with the home team on this one.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

tophawg19

talent wins football games and that favors bama. vandy has a lot of heart but that only takes you so far. saban has a [2 year pass].
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

booogaga

i want bama to win so they wont be looking for blood when we play them
GO HOGS!

alextuscaloosa

The crazy hole in the wall fans who know nothing about building a football program may get pissed if Alabama doesn't beat Vandy Saturday, but i can take an early season L to vandy if it means we get better as the year goes on and we beat the big boys of the SEC. Its all about progress, something we haven't seen at Bama since Stallings was around.
"I'd like for the people to remember me as a winner, cause I aint never been nothing but a winner."

3kgthog

I'm tellin ya, I think Saban is going to have this team playing above their heads all season. Call it the new coach factor. If Nutt did it at Arkansas in his first year then Saban can do it at Bama in his. The difference is that it won't take Saban 9 years to win a 10th game.

Nashville Fan

Pitch and catch all day long for both sides. It should be a fun game to go to. I might try to get tickets if all of the Bama folks haven't bought them up. Money should be with Bama, but, hearts should be with Vandy. A Bama loss will help the Hogs. You don't want Bama having any momentum this year.
Pittman or Bust!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: alextuscaloosa on September 04, 2007, 08:18:51 pm
The crazy hole in the wall fans who know nothing about building a football program may get pissed if Alabama doesn't beat Vandy Saturday, but i can take an early season L to vandy if it means we get better as the year goes on and we beat the big boys of the SEC. Its all about progress, something we haven't seen at Bama since Stallings was around.

Alex, I hate to say it, but I think progress just slipped up and bit you guys in the butt with the hiring of Saban. Alabama has a lot of talent and they are the "sleeper" in the SEC this year. They will surprise a lot of people, including us, I am afraid.
Go Hogs Go!

wincrimson

Alabama will RACK Vanderbilt.

Seriously, guys, this won't be the "game" everyone is hoping for.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on September 04, 2007, 07:07:37 pm
talent wins football games and that favors bama. vandy has a lot of heart but that only takes you so far. saban has a [2 year pass].

I agree.......Bama has the talent and most of time(excluding this past weekend) that gets it done for you.
Go Hogs Go!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Wincrimson on September 04, 2007, 10:18:43 pm

Kind of like the MSU game last year.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

wincrimson

'Bama has the talent and the heart.

I'm warning everybody, don't center your Saturday around this one if you're looking for a nailbiter.

wincrimson

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 04, 2007, 10:20:26 pm

Totally different situation.

I bet your arm is sore after that reach.

Dwight_K_Shrute

September 04, 2007, 10:23:20 pm #17 Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 10:32:57 pm by Dwight_K_Shrute
Quote from: Wincrimson on September 04, 2007, 10:21:04 pm

I don't think so.  Did anyone on the Bama boards you included predict a loss to Miss State last year?

I think Bama should win, but I don't think it's a stone cold lead pipe lock.

Vandy Beat a decent not great Georgia team last year and played Bama to within 3.  If not for some good fortune they would have beaten 10 win Dale and made him 9 win Dale.  They played Florida within 6.  But as usual petered out at the end of the year.

I would not want the Hogs to be playing Vandy next week. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 04, 2007, 10:23:20 pm
Quote from: Wincrimson on September 04, 2007, 10:21:04 pm

I don't think so.  Did anyone on the Bama boards you included predict a loss to Miss State last year?

I think Bama should win, but I don't think it's a stone cold lead pipe lock.

I agree, Vandy will make a game of it for a while, but Bama is too good overall and see them taking Vandy by about 2 TD's.
Go Hogs Go!

UAFS-Hawg23

What channel is the Vandy Bama game going to be on and what time?

hogman64

Quote from: Wincrimson on September 04, 2007, 10:20:39 pm

I'm warning everybody, don't center your Saturday around this one if you're looking for a nailbiter.

totally agree, Bama is my biggest bet saturday.

wincrimson

Quote from: UAFS-Hawg23 on September 04, 2007, 10:27:26 pm
What channel is the Vandy Bama game going to be on and what time?

Lincoln-Financial at 11:30

VandyHog

Well, since all the Bama fans are talking smack, I'll chime in.  Vandy by 14.  Nickson gets 300 yards passing and 90 on the ground. Bennett scores 3 touchdowns. 

I have news for you, Saban isn't going to go on the field and score for you.  Just ask Jimbo Fisher after what Clemson did to FSU last night. 

You are about to find out what Georgia found out when they took Vandy for granted last year.  Vandy is bowl bound this year and Alabama won't be the team to stop them.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: VandyHog on September 04, 2007, 10:36:40 pm
Well, since all the Bama fans are talking smack, I'll chime in.  Vandy by 14.  Nickson gets 300 yards passing and 90 on the ground. Bennett scores 3 touchdowns. 

I have news for you, Saban isn't going to go on the field and score for you.  Just ask Jimbo Fisher after what Clemson did to FSU last night. 

You are about to find out what Georgia found out when they took Vandy for granted last year.  Vandy is bowl bound this year and Alabama won't be the team to stop them.

+1 for Vandy Smack talk. 

VandyHog

I know, and I usually steer away from it too.  I just got sick of all the "second coming" hoopla about Saban.  The way Bama fans are talking right now I expect him to lay hands on Bear's grave and raise him from the dead at any minute.

wincrimson

A Vanderbilt fan talking smack?  Grab a jacket, Satan!

Get ready for your 20th loss in a row to the Tide.  And, when we arrive in Tuscaloosa-North, have the rent check ready.  We don't want to be kept waiting.

alextuscaloosa

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 04, 2007, 09:57:29 pm

Alex, I hate to say it, but I think progress just slipped up and bit you guys in the butt with the hiring of Saban. Alabama has a lot of talent and they are the "sleeper" in the SEC this year. They will surprise a lot of people, including us, I am afraid.

I'm not sure i follow.

With regards to some of the smack talk , if we've learned anything this past weekend, any team can win on any given Saturday. I think Vandy has a legitimate shot at beating us, but lets look it this way. Some of the most inept coaches in Alabama history didn't lose to Vandy. Dubose and Shula didn't even lose to Vandy, and anyone who football knows that Saban is a better coach than either of those two.

Vandy has some athletes but two i have to guess that Alabama has more weapons on Offense than Vandy does. Defense might be another question, i'm just gonna wait and see on the out come but if i had to guess i'd say that whoever wins will win by less than 10 points.
"I'd like for the people to remember me as a winner, cause I aint never been nothing but a winner."

VandyHog

September 04, 2007, 11:21:16 pm #27 Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:26:49 pm by VandyHog
I honestly think a lot of folks are way underestimating Vandy.  The two teams played a 3 point game last year.  Suddenly a three point win turns into a 21 point win because Saban is coaching there?  I don't think so.  Last year Bama played a Vandy team with a brand new quarterback who was playing in only his second game.  The team has come a long way from then.  Vandy has its biggest offensive line in 20 years, Nickson's stats from last year were better than Cutler's first year stats, Bennett is on the verge of breaking the SEC record for receptions, we have more returning starters than any team in the SEC, an extremely strong secondary, both of our running backs healthy (they were not last year when we played) and a coach who is getting things rolling in Nashville. 

Anyone who thinks this isn't going to be a tight, hardfought game is living in fantasy land.  Bama will open 1-2 with losses to Vandy and Arkansas and then improve as the season goes along.

VandyHog

Quote from: Wincrimson on September 04, 2007, 10:56:15 pm
A Vanderbilt fan talking smack?  Grab a jacket, Satan!

Get ready for your 20th loss in a row to the Tide.  And, when we arrive in Tuscaloosa-North, have the rent check ready.  We don't want to be kept waiting.

LOL  So how are things down in Auburn-West these days?

alextuscaloosa

Quote from: VandyHog on September 04, 2007, 11:21:16 pm
I honestly think a lot of folks are way underestimating Vandy.  The two teams played a 3 point game last year.  Suddenly a three point win turns into a 21 point win because Saban is coaching there?  I don't think so.  Last year Bama played a Vandy team with a brand new quarterback who was playing in only his second game.  The team has come a long way from then.  Vandy has its biggest offensive line in 20 years, Nickson's stats from last year were better than Cutler's first year stats, Bennett is on the verge of breaking the SEC record for receptions, we have more returning starters than any team in the SEC, an extremely strong secondary, both of our running backs healthy (they were not last year when we played) and a coach who is getting things rolling in Nashville. 

Anyone who thinks this isn't going to be a tight, hardfought game is living in fantasy land.  Bama will open 1-2 with losses to Vandy and Arkansas and then improve as the season goes along.

I agree this might be Vandy's best O that we've seen in a LONG time, my only question is if the D gave up that many yards to Richmond, how will they handle a well improved Bama O?

Not smack just a question, i hate smack it only sets you up for failure.

Bryant Disciple

I've watched this same Bama/Vandy movie about 30 times:

The first half is nip-and-tuck, with Vandy coming out surprisingly strong! Vandy scores some points, and maybe even goes to the half with a lead. It's shocking!

In the 3rd quarter, Bama fights back, and scratches out some points.

The teams enter the 4th Quarter with the game still in doubt.... What in the world will happen???

Then Vandy turns the ball over (maybe more than once) ... and Bama pulls away.

---

Note: I am not talking smack, and I realize that this Vandy is not your father's Vandy. However, last year's game pretty much followed the same script. As did the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the...

VandyHog

September 04, 2007, 11:54:42 pm #31 Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 11:57:39 pm by VandyHog
I agree with you on the smack.  I'd much rather talk football, but some people won't let you.  I think Vandy's defense is going to be better than expected. The game was out of reach by the second quarter so I don't think you can put too much into Richmond's yardage.  I will point out that they were a reasonably good 1-AA team.  Last year they beat one D-1A team (ok, it was Duke, but they shut them out). No one all of last year beat them by as many points as Vandy and they were coming off a winning season.

Western Carolina was coming off a 2-9 season and lost last year, among others, to Liberty, Wofford, the Citadel and Elon. Furman beat them 42-7, almost as bad as Alabama did this year and Florida pounded them 62-0 in last year's season opener. The only teams they beat were Eastern Kentucky (by 3) and Chowan.

Considering how the two teams did last year, I would expect Richmond to put up a little more yardage than Western Carolina.

The real question will be whether Alabama can shut down Nickson.  Personally, I question whether they will be able to stop Bennett.  He's played extremely well against some major teams.  If somehow they manage too, then Nickson will take off running or start passing to the backs.  He was our leading rusher last year and barely ran at all against Richmond because he didn't have to. 

VandyHog

Quote from: Bryant Disciple on September 04, 2007, 11:51:50 pm
I've watched this same Bama/Vandy movie about 30 times:

The first half is nip-and-tuck, with Vandy coming out surprisingly strong! Vandy scores some points, and maybe even goes to the half with a lead. It's shocking!

In the 3rd quarter, Bama fights back, and scratches out some points.

The teams enter the 4th Quarter with the game still in doubt.... What in the world will happen???

Then Vandy turns the ball over (maybe more than once) ... and Bama pulls away.

---

Note: I am not talking smack, and I realize that this Vandy is not your father's Vandy. However, last year's game pretty much followed the same script. As did the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the previous year's. And the...

Yeah, a few other teams were able to recite that script until the last two years too. I haven't seen anything that convinces me that Alabama is any better than Tennessee, Arkansas or Georgia. 

alextuscaloosa

Quote from: VandyHog on September 04, 2007, 11:54:42 pm
I agree with you on the smack.  I'd much rather talk football, but some people won't let you.  I think Vandy's defense is going to be better than expected. The game was out of reach by the second quarter so I don't think you can put too much into Richmond's yardage.  I will point out that they were a reasonably good 1-AA team.  Last year they beat one D-1A team (ok, it was Duke, but they shut them out). No one all of last year beat them by as many points as Vandy and they were coming off a winning season.

Western Carolina was coming off a 2-9 season and lost last year, among others, to Liberty, Wofford, the Citadel and Elon. Furman beat them 42-7, almost as bad as Alabama did this year and Florida pounded them 62-0 in last year's season opener. The only teams they beat were Eastern Kentucky (by 3) and Chowan.

Considering how the two teams did last year, I would expect Richmond to put up a little more yardage than Western Carolina.

The real question will be whether Alabama can shut down Nickson.  Personally, I question whether they will be able to stop Bennett.  He's played extremely well against some major teams.  If somehow they manage too, then Nickson will take off running or start passing to the backs.  He was our leading rusher last year and barely ran at all against Richmond because he didn't have to. 

I would think that Coach Saban would put Simeon Castille on Bennentt, and play him man or double all day, and have our fastest most athletic LB spy on Nickson all day long. I don't think we have to shot either down, we just need to make sure we don't let them make too many huge plays, they will make them, limiting them is the key.

VandyHog

From what I could see from the Alabama game this weekend, the only success that Western Carolina had (and I'm the first to admit they didn't have much) was in attacking the Alabama defense exactly where Vandy usually attacks opponents.  WCU was able to pass for 171 yards on Bama.  While I agree that you can't read too much into games against 1-AA opponents (unless you are Michigan!), that tells me that Nickson should be able to pass for some decent yardage.

Castille is a great player, but I think that to contain Bennett it will be necessary to double-team him.  That will open up our other receivers who are pretty good as well.

I expect to see Bama able to run some on Vandy and of course expect your qb to do well.  Vandy's running game was not really shown Saturday because the offensive coordinators wanted to take advantage of the opportunity to tinker with the passing game.  Jennings and Jackson-Garrison are both healthy and are solid backs.  I expect to see them, along with Nickson, get some yards on the ground. 

I would point out too that for Nickson and Bennett, this game carries a lot of emotion.  Both are Alabama kids and will come in seriously fired up to play the Crimson Tide.  Add that to the fact that the game is played in Nashville and, all smack aside, I think Vandy gets the win. 

hogman64

Quote from: hogman64 on September 04, 2007, 10:28:48 pm
Quote from: Wincrimson on September 04, 2007, 10:20:39 pm

totally agree, Bama is my biggest bet saturday.

this is from the same guy that gve you Troy and the over.. Pay attention.

RazorbackNutt

Anyone going to this game??  I think I'm gonna try to go.

VandyHog

I'm afraid it will be tv for me, but at least its on.

Bryant Disciple

I will be in California, so I'm going to try and convince a sports bar somewhere to show it.

I think Vandy will score some points on Alabama for sure. But Bama's offensive line is the best they've had in a long time, and Terry Grant is a rising star at halfback.

Plus, for the first time in years, Alabama's coaching staff will not put the team at a huge disadvantage.

VandyHog

Since it is a LF game, Gameplan should have it so I'm sure you can convince someone to turn it up for you. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: alextuscaloosa on September 04, 2007, 11:05:24 pm
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 04, 2007, 09:57:29 pm

I'm not sure i follow.

With regards to some of the smack talk , if we've learned anything this past weekend, any team can win on any given Saturday. I think Vandy has a legitimate shot at beating us, but lets look it this way. Some of the most inept coaches in Alabama history didn't lose to Vandy. Dubose and Shula didn't even lose to Vandy, and anyone who football knows that Saban is a better coach than either of those two.

Vandy has some athletes but two i have to guess that Alabama has more weapons on Offense than Vandy does. Defense might be another question, i'm just gonna wait and see on the out come but if i had to guess i'd say that whoever wins will win by less than 10 points.

Alex, my point was, progress has arrived, at least in my opinion. Saban is a good coach and not a miracle worker, but you don't have to be a miracle worker when you have the talent in place that I think Alabama has. They have a deep and experienced O-Line, a very good QB in Wilson, decent receivers and they always have a coule of RB's waiting in the wings that are very talented. On defense, the D-Line may be somewhat circumspect, but they have a great group of LB's and the Secondary is one of the best in the SEC. If they can get some solid play out of the D-Line and get a push up front on pass rushes, I think they stand a good chance of hanging with anyone in the SEC any week.

Vanderbilt may be much improved and I realize that they are capable of showing up and taking it to teams when they seem to least expect it, and though they have a great QB and WR, I don't expect them to go down to the wire against Bama.

I will admit that like Bama, Vandy returns their entire O-Line and they are a good group with 2nd Team All SEC players at both tackles. At WR they have Bennett who is an All SEC player the last 2 years(he accounted for 79% of all their receving yards this past week) and George Smith who is a 4.4-40yd guy. Nickson is a great QB. Jackson-Garrison and Jennings seem to be good RB's though they were utlized very little last week in what amounted to little more than a tune up game. They return 8 starters on Defense including 2nd Team All SEC MLB Goff and they are expected to be a better defensive unti this year than last.

Having said that and having given Vandy their "due", I still believe that Bama just has too much talent. Though this is the first year in 58 years that Vandy has had 8 home games, the magic won't be there this weekend and I still say that Bama winds up taking Vandy by about two TD's(13 pts).
Go Hogs Go!

wincrimson

Quote from: VandyHog on September 04, 2007, 11:21:16 pm

It was a 3 point game because of Shula.  He also lost us the Arkansas, Tennessee, and Auburn games from last season alone.  Go watch the review -- it's an embarrassment.

Bama played Vandy with a "brand new QB?"  News flash: Nickson had more experience than John Parker Wilson heading into that game.  Is that your best case for a Vanderbilt-Appalachian State pipedream?

Because of the 3-4 and lack of blitz, Nickson gets very little on the ground.  I recognize that he's a freakish athlete (hell, I had to cover him once), but he won't have any opportunities to run.

Finally, VandyHog, good luck this week!  I've been joking around with you on here but I've always pulled for VU when they're not playing my Tide.  What Bobby Johnson has done there is quite a feat. 

Have a Roll Tide day.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Wow, 'Bama is SOOO lucky to have Vandy on their SEC schedule.....uh....I think I've heard that somewhere before.

Donald Miller

Quote from: PowderHawg on September 04, 2007, 06:21:34 pm
Why would he, our coach wasn't.

Landonhog

I'm going with Vandy or maybe Bama with "Auburn-like finishing luck", to pull out a close one... 

VandyHog

Quote from: Wincrimson on September 05, 2007, 09:42:05 am

It was a 3 point game because of Shula.  He also lost us the Arkansas, Tennessee, and Auburn games from last season alone.  Go watch the review -- it's an embarrassment.

Bama played Vandy with a "brand new QB?"  News flash: Nickson had more experience than John Parker Wilson heading into that game.  Is that your best case for a Vanderbilt-Appalachian State pipedream?

Because of the 3-4 and lack of blitz, Nickson gets very little on the ground.  I recognize that he's a freakish athlete (hell, I had to cover him once), but he won't have any opportunities to run.

Finally, VandyHog, good luck this week!  I've been joking around with you on here but I've always pulled for VU when they're not playing my Tide.  What Bobby Johnson has done there is quite a feat. 

Have a Roll Tide day.

Good luck to you guys too.  I think it will be a fun one.  I honestly don't think Nickson will run much on Alabama either, but only because he'll be able to pass effectively. With Jennings and Jackson-Garrison healthy, the need for him to run as much isn't there. 

Here's to a game with lots of hard-hitting defense, lots of offense and no injuries.

GO DORES!!!

cityhog

Frankly I think it is good for the West for Bama to be good again.  The east has been hogging the show for too long.  I hope Bama beats Vandy.  I also hope Bama finally beats AU this year.  5 in a row is enough.

Nashville Fan

Bama is soft in the belly. D-line is their weakness. Vandy should make them prove they can stop the run early.
Pittman or Bust!