Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Alabama vs. Vandy-Who Ya Got?

Started by san1981, September 02, 2007, 03:07:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

san1981

It's in Nashville. This is a toss-up. I don't think Bama will be looking ahead to us. I got Bama 24-21

arkjay19

Bama.  Vandy is a little better and the Tide still has a much better defense.

AirForceHog

I think I'll go with Vandy in this one. Saban has some growing pains in this first SEC showdown for him.
If it turns, burns, banks or rolls, crew chiefs made it happen.

clifflee4mvp

Jay Cutler will tear........wait they don't have Cutler.........nevermind. Bama 27 Vandy 17
Quote from: Cooper on May 25, 2009, 08:52:19 am
I have no idea. I don't know anything about it. I just click the first server on the list, follow some people around and stare in awe at the pets that look like He-Man's battle cat.

Arkansas Football, it's the players running through the "A", hog hats, it's more than 70,000 fans calling WOO PIG SOOIE. Arkansas football, it's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are chosen, they wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks. Together we stand as tall as the tower of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walks and our blood flows Razorback Red. For 100 years, we've been Hog Wild and today we continue the tradition. We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'd take Vandy just because I want to see Bama get upset.  Although a pissed off Saban/Bama team would be the worst thing for us in Tuscaloosa.  Vandy had good offensive numbers last night, albeit against Richmond.  They had 281 passing and 164 rushing in a 41-17 point win.  I wonder if they were holding anything back. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PiggyBack

Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

Hogs4Ever

Bama is psyched and Vandy is Vandy.  Bama will win big...31-13.

camden5r

BamaFreak

This one will be in doubt until the fourth quarter.  Heck, it may even degenerate into a shootout.  Vandy returns 19 starters from last year (the same team that beat UGA.)  This will not be easy, but will give us BAMA fans a better idea of what we can realistically expect from this team.  This past Saturday told us nothing about our team.  Therefore I have to temper my expectations until I see real proof of tangible improvement.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: PorkOpine on September 02, 2007, 03:34:24 pm
Quote from: arkhog9 on September 02, 2007, 03:10:21 pm
Bama.  Vandy is a little better and the Tide still has a much better defense.

WHAT?  Vandy better despite losing their entire offense (Cutler)? 

They lost Cutler 2 years ago.  Newton is better than any qb we have trotted out in awhile.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

WBChogfan

I think Bama wins, but there's nothing I'd like to see more than the $4 million man lose his first SEC game to Vandy.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: san1981 on September 02, 2007, 03:07:56 pm
It's in Nashville. This is a toss-up. I don't think Bama will be looking ahead to us. I got Bama 24-21

Bama          34
Vandy         17

O/U-           51
Go Hogs Go!

VolHogg

Vandy's QB and Coach are better than ours. Vandy in a close one.

wolf24

4 overtimes.  Fianl Tide-34/ Vandy 31.

Sanctified Swine

Vandy wins this game. They have lots of experienced players, a really good QB and they expect to win. Trust me, for Vandy they have a swagger this year. ( I have some good frineds connected with the program and I hear them talk every year, but this year its a bit different. They are confident in what they have this year)

Baseball Hog

vandy is notorious for being very physical especially early in the season, and they do have some great athletes, one being a quaterback.  Vandy by <7.

slopinhogs

i think Vandy will win this one. they aren't reloading the offencive line the guys they have had a lot of playing time last year behind the starters. Vandy has a powerful offence this year. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Bomis Hawg

I think Vandy can hang with Alabama for a while.  That's all they need, just hang in there and make a run late.

Chris Nickson has played well and they have two viable backs now.  And, a guy named Earl.

I think Bama wins.  24-14.

Hogs-n-Roses

Bama 31
Vandy 17

Bama controls the game, Vandy comes back, Bama scores late to make the score look this way.

FootballHog

Vandy.....Bama has no defensive line....Nickson will have over 100 rushing yards.

VandyHog

Vandy.  For those who haven't paid attention, Chris Nickson had better stats in his first year last year than Cutler did in his first year out.  In fact, the Commodores are deep at qb.  The backup was qb for Oklahoma's 5-A state champions two years ago and the third stringer was starter at Arizona two years ago.  Earl Bennett is an All American receiver who will break the SEC receptions record at about the mid point of this year.  We have 17 returning starters and the biggest offensive line in Johnson's tenure as coach.  Both of our running backs are healthy for the first time in two years, plus Nickson is a dual threat qb who can gain serious yardage on the ground. 

All those freshmen and sophomores Vandy has been playing the last two years are now juniors and seniors.  This is the best team I've seen at Vandy since the 82 bowl season. 

Landonhog

VANDY.

Nickson and Bennet will make it happen...  Bama was sloppy yesterday... 

Saban can't play on the defensive line.

If they don't win it will be waaaay to close for Bama's comfort...

(I've spent quite a bit of time trolling the Bama boards...  Lots of people mentioning their "very young" team, etc, etc...)

Fatty McGee

Doesn't 'Bama know they're supposed to be looking forward to having Vandy on the schedule after all those years of having the East powers on it?

At least, that's what Houston told me.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

kRazorback

Bama. Pretty obvious in my opinion. Vandy gets no love, sorry vandy lovers.

Hogs'll roll that tide up in 2 weeks...

You can quote me on that.                         Are you writing any of this down?

BigDPiggie

Bama 3
Vandy 2

Saban fires half his staff then accepts a job 3 days later with the Toronto Argonauts who offer him Beckham money to do Molson ads and spots for the Canadian Tourism Industry.
It's Festivus... for the rest of us!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: kRazorback on September 02, 2007, 08:10:13 pm
Bama. Pretty obvious in my opinion. Vandy gets no love, sorry vandy lovers.

Hogs'll roll that tide up in 2 weeks...

You can quote me on that.                         Are you writing any of this down?

Right. Your enthusiasm is great, your touch with reality, a bit off.
Go Hogs Go!

TMc

I think Bama will win.. always is a tough game for them.. I want Bama to win.. squeak by .. I don't want to play them after a loss.

BigDPiggie

I would just as soon avoid them this year. I guess getting it over with early will be nice, but Saban, although a royal arse, can pretty much improve a team in mere seconds.
It's Festivus... for the rest of us!

bphi11ips

Quote from: FootballHog on September 02, 2007, 06:39:47 pm
Vandy.....Bama has no defensive line....Nickson will have over 100 rushing yards.

Those of you who think Bama has no defensive line are in for a rude awakening.  Bama ALWAYS has a defensive line.  You just don't know their names yet.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

WarEaglePigSooie

They sure havn't had a defensive or offensive line against Auburn the past 5 years ^

monticello_hog

going to be close
vandy will give bama all they want, but bama wins 17-14

jsimpso3

Quote from: BamaFreak on September 02, 2007, 03:39:53 pm
This one will be in doubt until the fourth quarter.  Heck, it may even degenerate into a shootout.  Vandy returns 19 starters from last year (the same team that beat UGA.)  This will not be easy, but will give us BAMA fans a better idea of what we can realistically expect from this team.  This past Saturday told us nothing about our team.  Therefore I have to temper my expectations until I see real proof of tangible improvement.
wait a minute,

did i just read "realistic" from a bama fan,
what is this world coming to.

i'm just kidding bammer, welcome aboard

wincrimson

Not all of us lose to Vandy.  *cough*  Dale  *cough*

Vanderbilt hasn't beaten Alabama in my lifetime.  I'll be able to say that next week, too.

20 in a row, here we come!

skeetmaster24

Stop talking fat man!! You are a liar!!

Porkem

Bama baby!  Vandy is...was...and will always be...the SEC doormat.  They are the underdog in every game they play in the SEC.  But...they are a damn good academic school.   A Vandy degree definitely opens some doors.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

DukeOfPork

Quote from: san1981 on September 02, 2007, 03:07:56 pm

This thread is insane.

Bama will pound Vandy.  Saban will not accept anything less.

VandyHog

VandyHog

A few stats from Saturday night, both teams playing 1-AA opponents:

Passing:

Vandy:  19 of 26 for 284 yards  (10.9 yards per pass)
Bama:   25 of 34 for 262 yards (7.7 yards per pass)

Top Receivers:

Vandy:  Earl Bennett, 13 for 223 yards and 3 touchdowns (Vandy Record) (also had 62 yards in punt returns)
Bama:  D. Hall, 4 for 52 yards and 0 touchdowns.

Rushing:

Vandy:  35 rushes for 162 yards (average rush, 4.6 yards)
Bama:   44 rushes for 313 yards (average rush, 7.1 yards)

Punting:

Vandy:  Average Punt, 41 yards (0 yards in return by Richmond)
Bama:   Average Punt, 40 yards

QB Interceptions:

Vandy:  0  (intercepted Richmond's QB 3 times)
Bama:  0 (intercepted WCU's QB 0 times)

QB Efficiency:

Vandy:  Nickson went 19 of 26 for 284 yards passing and 15 yards rushing, 4 touchdowns.
Bama:  Wilson went 17-25 for 189 yards passing and 17 yards rushing, 0 touchdowns.

HoggySTruman

Bama.......irregardless of what some think ....coaching matters....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: VandyHog on September 03, 2007, 04:28:58 am

Passing:

Bama:   25 of 34 for 262 yards (7.7 yards per pass)

Top Receivers:

Vandy:  Earl Bennett, 13 for 223 yards and 3 touchdowns (Vandy Record) (also had 62 yards in punt returns)

Rushing:

Bama:   44 rushes for 313 yards (average rush, 7.1 yards)

Punting:

Bama:   Average Punt, 40 yards

QB Interceptions:

QB Efficiency:

Vandy:  Nickson went 19 of 26 for 284 yards passing and 15 yards rushing, 4 touchdowns.
Bama:  Wilson went 17-25 for 189 yards passing and 17 yards rushing, 0 touchdowns.

You forgot to mention that there were 12 different receivers that helped account for those 262 yards in receiving at Alabama. That is doing a great job of spreading the ball around. Their passing attack is obviously not anemic.

On the other hand, at Vanderbilt there were only 4 other receivers(aside from Bennett) who accounted for only 61 yards of the total 284 yards. That makes it a lot easier to shut a passing attack down if you can focus on basically one receiver.

At Bama, 5 players accounted for the 313 yards in rushing. At Vandy, 6 players accounted for the 162 yards in rushing.

I think we better give Alabama it's due. They spread the ball around in passing which makes them less predictable(which receiver do you focus on?) and they have depth in the backfield that can produce big rushing numbers.

In fairness, at Arkansas, we had 350 yards rushing that was accounted for by 6 different runners, but 280 of those 350 were accounted for by 2 of our backs(and you know who they are).

In passing, we spread the ball around to 7 different receivers to account for our 157 yards in passing.

In comparing the three teams, you can look at Alabama and see that they are not one dimensional while the same cannot be said for Vandy or Arkansas. If I had to choose, I think I would pick the balanced attack........how about you?
Go Hogs Go!

HoggySTruman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 03, 2007, 06:43:05 am
Quote from: VandyHog on September 03, 2007, 04:28:58 am

Passing:

Bama:   25 of 34 for 262 yards (7.7 yards per pass)

Top Receivers:

Rushing:

Bama:   44 rushes for 313 yards (average rush, 7.1 yards)

Punting:

Bama:   Average Punt, 40 yards

QB Interceptions:

QB Efficiency:

You forgot to mention that there were 12 different receivers that helped account for those 262 yards in receiving at Alabama. That is doing a great job of spreading the ball around. Their passing attack is obviously not anemic.

On the other hand, at Vanderbilt there were only 4 other receivers(aside from Bennett) who accounted for only 61 yards of the total 284 yards. That makes it a lot easier to shut a passing attack down if you can focus on basically one receiver.

At Bama, 5 players accounted for the 313 yards in rushing. At Vandy, 6 players accounted for the 162 yards in rushing.

I think we better give Alabama it's due. They spread the ball around in passing which makes them less predictable(which receiver do you focus on?) and they have depth in the backfield that can produce big rushing numbers.

In fairness, at Arkansas, we had 350 yards rushing that was accounted for by 6 different runners, but 280 of those 350 were accounted for by 2 of our backs(and you know who they are).

In passing, we spread the ball around to 7 different receivers to account for our 157 yards in passing.

In comparing the three teams, you can look at Alabama and see that they are not one dimensional while the same cannot be said for Vandy or Arkansas. If I had to choose, I think I would pick the balanced attack........how about you?

these are great points, very well said...

MDH

Nick will lead Bama to a 66-6 victory.
"Too many people have for too long placed too much confidence and trust in government and not enough in themselves.  Fortunately, many are now becoming aware of the seriousness of the gross mistakes of the past several decades.  The blame is shared by both political parties.  Many Americans now are demanding to hear the plain truth of things and want the demagoguing to stop.  Without this first step, solutions are impossible."  Ron Paul

Bama Possum

September 03, 2007, 08:53:46 am #44 Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 08:55:20 am by Bama Possum
D.J. Hall caught 4 passes. Nick Walker, the Tight End, caught 5.

JPW did not have many passing yards or passing TD's because... :o...Bama's RB's played lights out! Granted it was against WC, but most folks, me included, were expecting to see "Air Bama".

I am taking Bama in this one, and not just because I am a Bama fan. The new offense looks to be VERY potent with no holes. This may be the most powerful offense Alabama has had since the 1970's wishbone teams. This is NOT Mike Shula's offense. Even though Bama hasn't shown all their cards, they have shown enough for me to know that they are less predictable than last year, well led, have better blocking schemes and techniques, are faster and better conditioned, and are capable of a balanced attack. They put up 575 yards of offense and didn't play the starters halfway through the 3rd quarter. They set a new school record in 1st downs! Mike Shula NEVER put up 575 of offense...EVER...in 4 years even against cupcakes. The 4th quarter was spent trying to run out the clock by running the 2nd and 3rd string backs up the middle using 2nd and 3rd string QB's.

Vandy had better have more weapons than Bennett, because the defense isn't thin at corner and safety. Vandy will play hard. They always do, but unless they are on fire and Bama comes out completely flat, Bama wins by 10 at least.

selfexplanatory

I saw a few 3 point games on this thread...

Vegas opens the line Alabama (-3.5)
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

VandyHog

It is going to be a very interesting game.  Personally, I don't think Bama will be able to shut down Nickson and Bennett but we'll see. Bennett is going to break the SEC reception record as a junior for a reason. I'm also interested to see how Vandy does in limiting Bama's running game.  Both teams have good coaches.

VandyHog

Quote from: Bama Possum on September 03, 2007, 08:53:46 am
D.J. Hall caught 4 passes. Nick Walker, the Tight End, caught 5.

JPW did not have many passing yards or passing TD's because... :o...Bama's RB's played lights out! Granted it was against WC, but most folks, me included, were expecting to see "Air Bama".

I am taking Bama in this one, and not just because I am a Bama fan. The new offense looks to be VERY potent with no holes. This may be the most powerful offense Alabama has had since the 1970's wishbone teams. This is NOT Mike Shula's offense. Even though Bama hasn't shown all their cards, they have shown enough for me to know that they are less predictable than last year, well led, have better blocking schemes and techniques, are faster and better conditioned, and are capable of a balanced attack. They put up 575 yards of offense and didn't play the starters halfway through the 3rd quarter. They set a new school record in 1st downs! Mike Shula NEVER put up 575 of offense...EVER...in 4 years even against cupcakes. The 4th quarter was spent trying to run out the clock by running the 2nd and 3rd string backs up the middle using 2nd and 3rd string QB's.

Vandy had better have more weapons than Bennett, because the defense isn't thin at corner and safety. Vandy will play hard. They always do, but unless they are on fire and Bama comes out completely flat, Bama wins by 10 at least.

I think you will find that Vandy has more weapons than Bennett, but he is a pretty dang powerful weapon.  Nickson is a very capable dual threat quarterback who barely ran at all on Saturday night. Like Alabama, they took it a little easy on Richmond during the late stages of the game.  You are going to find that Vandy has a big offensive line and an experienced defense.  This will be a very close game. I believe Vandy will win, but like I said, we will see.

hogman64

AT -4 Alabama is the bet of the week.....I know Vandy has a history of making these games close but Saban will not let that happen, Alabama will win by double digits......John Parker Wilson is better than people realize at this point...... As for week after next, It could get ugly if our secondary doesnt improve alot in two weeks.

AFWarrior83

This game is a tricky one, I want to go with Vandy b/c experience, but I just think BAMA will sqeak it out somehow like we did last year.
Hogville member since 2005.