Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not impressed with LSU's offense

Started by dishhog10, August 31, 2007, 02:56:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dishhog10

LSU's offense didn't look to good last.   Yes, they did score 45 points.   But it was not due to the offense.   Hester is the slowest running back I've seen LSU line up as the starter in years.    At wideout, they have 1 guy they throw to.    LSU's speed back (cant think of his name) always tried to get to the corner and hardly every made it.    If that is the best running backs they have, they will lose to Virgina Tech next saturday.    The only way LSU scores more than 10 points vs VT next week is if their defense comes up with lots of turnovers again.    It was just the first game, but LSU didn't look like they had much on offense. 
Lets band together and back BP

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Man, you are REALLY going think Dale's offense stinks!  LSU is going to KILL us.

GO TROY BEAT DALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Hawg_Heaven

I agree. That receiver is going to be a good one though.

The Boar War

I think they must have been holding back a lot.  Beamer is a defensive genius.  There was no reason to give him any more film to look at.

Hawg Daddy Cool

Most people are picking LSU high because of their defense.  I didn't watch enough of last night's game to say one way or the other about their offense.  I do know that the Miss State QB threw six picks.  Did the LSU defense force those picks or was the QB just playing bad?

whitecohogg

What a goon!!! Our offense is going to be freaking stout. I agree with the first post, LSU's offense wasn't that great but don't expect that to be the same offense we see the day after Thanksgiving.

dishhog10

Quote from: The Boar War on August 31, 2007, 02:57:33 pm
I think they must have been holding back a lot.  Beamer is a defensive genius.  There was no reason to give him any more film to look at.

LSU fans better hope so.   If not, the SEC West is all of a sudden wide open. 

rzrbckfan426

It was POURING OUTSIDE!!!!  Even backs like Dmac and Felix are a bit slower in the rain.  Quit judging an offense based on one showing under less than ideal conditions.  They limited their playbook.  Why break out all the good plays against a high school team when you have Va. Tech around the corner.

hogsanity

With LSU's DEFENSE, their offense does not have to be impressive, just EFFICIENT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ColumbianHog

It took LSU a while to warm up but they didn't look all that bad.  Definitely not outstanding but not crappy either.  They have more than just Doucet to throw to.  Ladell (sp?) looked pretty good.  And they all block well.  MSU's defense isn't too bad either.  But MSU's offense is horrible...plus LSU's defense is stout.

I think LSU will do fine against VT.  And we will have our hands full with them in November.

dishhog10

Quote from: rzrbckfan426 on August 31, 2007, 03:02:25 pm
It was POURING OUTSIDE!!!!  Even backs like Dmac and Felix are a bit slower in the rain.  Quit judging an offense based on one showing under less than ideal conditions.  They limited their playbook.  Why break out all the good plays against a high school team when you have Va. Tech around the corner.
it didnt start raining till close to half time. 

dishhog10

Quote from: whitecohogg on August 31, 2007, 02:59:07 pm
What a goon!!! Our offense is going to be freaking stout. I agree with the first post, LSU's offense wasn't that great but don't expect that to be the same offense we see the day after Thanksgiving.

This "goon" guarentees all that arkansas has better RB's, full backs, O-line and tight ends than LSU.   I am not saying Arkansas is better than LSU as a team; I am saying that unless LSU was keeping a running back on the bench because they didn't want VT to see him, then they will not win many games due to their offense this year.   LSU's Defense is good enough to make them a title contender, but their offense may keep them from winning it.

rzrbckfan426

Quote from: dishhog10 on August 31, 2007, 03:06:50 pm
Quote from: rzrbckfan426 on August 31, 2007, 03:02:25 pm
it didnt start raining till close to half time. 

Are you kidding me?  It was sprinkling before the game.  I didn't even watch the second half and I know it was pouring in the first quarter.

ck33180

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on August 31, 2007, 02:57:08 pm
Man, you are REALLY going think Dale's offense stinks!  LSU is going to KILL us.

That statement (GO TROY BEAT DALE) only masks you saying "beat the razorbacks".

You are sad. 

cosmodrum

The only reason LSU scored like they did was the inept Bulldog offense. They kept their defense on the field for most of the game, and they eventually wore down. Granted, LSU's defense is pretty damn good, but if MSU had ANY offensive game so the defense could rest, this game could have been a low scoring affair with the Bulldogs coming out on top.

Moot point though, I suppose.
Go away, batin'

HamShank

LSU will look a LOT better than they did last night by Thanksgiving.  Then again, so will we.  We will be no means be undefeated going into the game, but I believe we will beat the Tigers in Baton Rouge this year.

tigerLSU

Quote from: dishhog10 on August 31, 2007, 02:56:11 pm
LSU's offense didn't look to good last.   Yes, they did score 45 points.   But it was not due to the offense.   Hester is the slowest running back I've seen LSU line up as the starter in years.    At wideout, they have 1 guy they throw to.    LSU's speed back (cant think of his name) always tried to get to the corner and hardly every made it.    If that is the best running backs they have, they will lose to Virgina Tech next saturday.    The only way LSU scores more than 10 points vs VT next week is if their defense comes up with lots of turnovers again.    It was just the first game, but LSU didn't look like they had much on offense. 

agree

hester is not impressive at all.Many fans pissed caz Miles giving him the majority of the runs while keeping Kieland Williams (our best RB) on the bench. We hope that this is Miles plan not to open the playbook against VT....KW will start or at least get the majority of the snaps

Quote from: ck33180 on August 31, 2007, 03:15:01 pm

You are sad. 

Oh, it wasn't completely clear to you?  Sorry.  GO TROY BEAT THE RAZORBACKS.

Enjoy watching Dale lead the band.  Hopefully it won't happen, though.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Porkerpower

I mean, they score 45 points, do it in plain vannilla form, and you say they STINK?  Last night you watched the best the SEC has to offer.

LSU scarred me last night.  They might just win it ALL this year.

ballhogger14u

LSU pretty much ran a vanilla offense, I think you will see them get better as they go.  Their defense is the real deal though.  Miss. St. stunk up the place

StoernerJonesFan

LSU will definately be the front runner for the SEC-W, but if they play like that against us...well, ladies and gentlemen we will have the Boot back this season.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Porkerpower on August 31, 2007, 03:28:27 pm
I mean, they score 45 points, do it in plain vannilla form, and you say they STINK?  Last night you watched the best the SEC has to offer.

Just repeat this in your head: "MSU sucks"

I swear it will take the edge off...

a little.
Go away, batin'

dishhog10

Defensively, yes; LSU is good enough to win it all.   But on Offense?  did you not see Hester get through the first hole and then get run down from behind by a DE? Or did you not see the hole close up before Hester could get there?  It looked like he was running in mud.    And at WR, Doucet (sp) is their only threat.   LSU did it keep it simple.   But the 45 points they scored were due to their defense and all the turnovers and the pathetic MSU offense that kept their D on the field all night.    If that is all LSU has on offense they will lose next week to VT.

Realist

they scored 45 with the help from 6 INTERCEPTIONS AND 1 FUMBLE.  
I sure as hell hope they can score 45 points again mississippi state when given 7 turnovers.  It probably should have been 10-0 at half too.  
To further that point, they didn't even have 400 yards of offense.  We had more yards on offense last year vs. LSU then LSU did tonight in that slaughter.  I have never thought Kleiland Williams is a speed back but ESPN wanted to call him that.  Hes a good back yes, but not the barn burner.  They had 50 rushes for 198 yards.  Thats 4 yards a carry.  Not anything special.  And then Matt Flynn had 147 yards passing.  
MVP for LSU was Henig

dishhog10

Quote from: StoernerJonesFan on August 31, 2007, 03:31:46 pm
LSU will definately be the front runner for the SEC-W, but if they play like that against us...well, ladies and gentlemen we will have the Boot back this season.

My thoughts exactly.   Watching LSU last night made me think Ark going back to the SEC title game is very possible.

Richard_white

Again, did anyone see the Auburn and LSU game last year?

AUburn held LSU to 3 points.   How did LSU season turnout for the rest of the year?

LSU defense is one of the best I have seen in many years.

Realist

Quote from: Richard_white on August 31, 2007, 03:40:20 pm

AUburn held LSU to 3 points.   How did LSU season turnout for the rest of the year?

You don't really get tested by Henig and a no name RB. 
McFadden did whatever he wanted last year vs. them 187 yards rushing 36 yards passing.  They have to replace both safeties as well as a couple other positions.   They are good yes, but they are not the Gods ESPN tries to make them out to be.  ESPN has started pimping LSU harder than they did Notre Dame

tigerLSU

Quote from: dishhog10 on August 31, 2007, 03:34:37 pm

Defensively, yes; LSU is good enough to win it all.   But on Offense?  did you not see Hester get through the first hole and then get run down from behind by a DE? Or did you not see the hole close up before Hester could get there?  It looked like he was running in mud.    And at WR, Doucet (sp) is their only threat.   LSU did it keep it simple.   But the 45 points they scored were due to their defense and all the turnovers and the pathetic MSU offense that kept their D on the field all night.    If that is all LSU has on offense they will lose next week to VT.

disagree on Doucet being our only threat

True freshman T.Toliver, who was the top WR out of high school, looked great...B Lafell also looked good..Not worried about our WR.
The only thing makes me nervous is that Miles likes to play Seniors...and WILL bench talented players over seniors..i hope this trend doesn't carry on to the VT game else it'll be a looong night for us

joedirt

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on August 31, 2007, 03:24:41 pm
Quote from: ck33180 on August 31, 2007, 03:15:01 pm

You are sad. 

Oh, it wasn't completely clear to you?  Sorry.  GO TROY BEAT THE RAZORBACKS.

Enjoy watching Dale lead the band.  Hopefully it won't happen, though.

Great post.  And it's not even 4:20 yet.

Richard_white

Quote from: Realist on August 31, 2007, 03:42:45 pm

AUburn held LSU to 3 points.   How did LSU season turnout for the rest of the year?

McFadden did whatever he wanted last year vs. them 187 yards rushing 36 yards passing.  They have to replace both safeties as well as a couple other positions.   They are good yes, but they are not the Gods ESPN tries to make them out to be.  ESPN has started pimping LSU harder than they did Notre Dame

Who cares what ESPN does.  Who they pimp.  They will sell a team full of old ladies if it brings them ratings.  LSU defense is stacked.  They have the best defense in the SEC.  Their defense alone, murdered Miss St.  We will have trouble against LSU and I predict a loss.  It didn't work out well with us last year when we had DMac.

Realist

Quote from: Richard_white on August 31, 2007, 03:50:06 pm

McFadden did whatever he wanted last year vs. them 187 yards rushing 36 yards passing.  They have to replace both safeties as well as a couple other positions.   They are good yes, but they are not the Gods ESPN tries to make them out to be.  ESPN has started pimping LSU harder than they did Notre Dame

Who cares what ESPN does.  Who they pimp.  They will sell a team full of old ladies if it brings them ratings.  LSU defense is stacked.  They have the best defense in the SEC.  Their defense alone, murdered Miss St.  We will have trouble against LSU and I predict a loss.  It didn't work out well with us last year when we had DMac.

But it wasn't because of the reason you just gave of defense was it?  I mean we scored 28 points against them. 

Richard_white

Quote from: Realist on August 31, 2007, 03:51:10 pm
Quote from: Richard_white on August 31, 2007, 03:50:06 pm

But it wasn't because of the reason you just gave of defense was it?  I mean we scored 28 points against them. 

No, it wasn't.  It was lack of passing.  It was special team play.  Is our passing attack better, this year?  Is Monk healthy to play, this year?  How about special team play?  Have we changed ST coach?  Is it going to be better , this year?  How about our defense?  Will it be better than last years? 

Like I said, I predict a loss.  It it won't be because of their defense.

EastexHawg

Quote from: dishhog10 on August 31, 2007, 03:36:29 pm
Quote from: StoernerJonesFan on August 31, 2007, 03:31:46 pm

My thoughts exactly.   Watching LSU last night made me think Ark going back to the SEC title game is very possible.

45-0 indicates LSU is overrated or weak?

Remind me...what was the score when we played Mississippi State last year?

Tammany Tom

Want to know when you are an elite football program?

When you win on the road, in the rain, starting a new QB, beat the spread by 27 points, run only 6 base offensive plays, play straight up defense with very few blitzes & stunts, and shut out your opponent by the score of 45-0 and everyone points out that you weren't very impressive.

You boys and girls forget the most fundamental principal in all of football:

Defense wins championships.

rockbama

I don't care who you play, when you go on the road and win 45-0 in a conference game, first game of the season, YOU ARENT OVERRATED.

I sure as hell hope we "suck" as bad as LSU did last night all year long.

That is all....

rockbama

Quote from: Tammany Tom on August 31, 2007, 04:05:07 pm

When you win on the road, in the rain, starting a new QB, beat the spread by 27 points, run only 6 base offensive plays, play straight up defense with very few blitzes & stunts, and shut out your opponent by the score of 45-0 and everyone points out that you weren't very impressive.

Exactly. Everyone thought Bama sucked during the Gene Stallings era, but all we did was win and win often.

LSU offense doesnt have to be spectacular, all it has to do is not make mistakes and LSU wins going away 9 out of 10 times.

budcampbellfan

If nut was coaching LSU he would have lost that game last nite trying to hide something to trick VT.  Remember the Vandy loss?  Who doesn't?  - hiding McF and Jones from SC.  It worked.  We scored 14 I think.  Of course, they scored 70 but nut is very tricky. 
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: rockbama on August 31, 2007, 04:37:51 pm

Exactly. Everyone thought Bama sucked during the Gene Stallings era, but all we did was win and win often.

LSU offense doesnt have to be spectacular, all it has to do is not make mistakes and LSU wins going away 9 out of 10 times.

All true Alabama fans appreciate the meaning of great defense. Your 1993 and 1979 National Championship teams had two of the best defenses I have ever witnessed. Your offenses both of those years were very mediocre, but those defenses were simply awesome. I went to the game in Tiger Stadium in 1979 when Alabama beat LSU 3-0. That was one great defensive football team.

Too many fans get caught up in the glamour of offense and forget that ugly teams with great D's win more championships than the beautiful, graceful offensive minded football teams.

RazorZach

I don't know about it stinking, but all I kept thinking was how often that tunnel screen is gonna work against Herring's over-aggressive defense. It seems like teams that can really pull that screen off have had a good amount of success against the Hogs over the years. LSU always seems to run it, and then we bite on it and they end up with a score or a big gain. Anyone else noticed this before, or am I crazier than I thought? It seems like I remember Florida making it work too in the SEC Champ. game last year.
"Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

"Is this hotel beeper friendly?" -- Alan from "The Hangover" (and Houston Nutt)

"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." -- Michael Scott, "The Office"

LSU is going to destroy our QB and will probably contain our running game.  I know this much, if they get a lead....if ANY team gets a lead, we are TOAST.

arkbengal

Quote from: NinoHog on August 31, 2007, 05:42:32 pm
Is Lsu's D This Year better than last years. Just a question?

A little soon to say for sure, but probably yes. Eight starters back from last year - lost the safeties and one DE.

JusticeHawg

The only thing I kept thinking was.......very vanilla........kept the same base formations most of the night.....and if anyone remembers their offensive Co....Gary Crowton....you remember when he brought that La Tech team in to Little Rock and almost beat us......they had dozens of formations.   He has had that everywhere he went....as HC at BYU and as OC at Oregon the last few years.   I think Miles just wasn't going to show his hand going into the Va Tech game.   He knows Va Tech has as good if not better D than LSU and he didn't want them having a heads up on what packages he is going to run next week.   Next weeks game is a VERY big game for both Va Tech and LSU as far as National Title implications.    I think Miles was just going to treat it like a high stakes scrimmage.....which he can with a team like MSU.    He didn't do the things that most of the RB's are known for.    Williams is more for between the tackles......Murphy is the outside homerun threat.....and he had them doing the opposite it seemed.   I saw the peach bowl against a very good Miami defense when Flynn started......and I will say they held back last night.    I really think they will try to open it up next week in Tiger Stadium.    It should be one heck of a game.    If LSU doesn't practice on Va Techs punt block though it could be a long night.    Va Tech gets about 10 of those a year it seems.    I think LSU is the class of the West.....and after watching Perilloux (or however you spell it)......he is much faster than Flynn and has better touch it on the ball it appears.......I don't think that the fears of better keep Flynn healthy or the season is shot need to be there.   He was the National player of the year his Sr year........just need to keep him out of casinos and from passing fake $100 ;)

Also its hard to amass 400+ yards offense when  you keep getting turnovers on short fields........I am worried what that team can do when they get the offense opened up and running on all cylinders....
apprehend that scumbag for impersonating a basketball coach!

Tammany Tom

Quote from: JusticeHawg on August 31, 2007, 06:56:53 pm
The only thing I kept thinking was.......very vanilla........kept the same base formations most of the night.....and if anyone remembers their offensive Co....Gary Crowton....you remember when he brought that La Tech team in to Little Rock and almost beat us......they had dozens of formations.   He has had that everywhere he went....as HC at BYU and as OC at Oregon the last few years.   I think Miles just wasn't going to show his hand going into the Va Tech game.   He knows Va Tech has as good if not better D than LSU and he didn't want them having a heads up on what packages he is going to run next week.   Next weeks game is a VERY big game for both Va Tech and LSU as far as National Title implications.    I think Miles was just going to treat it like a high stakes scrimmage.....which he can with a team like MSU.    He didn't do the things that most of the RB's are known for.    Williams is more for between the tackles......Murphy is the outside homerun threat.....and he had them doing the opposite it seemed.   I saw the peach bowl against a very good Miami defense when Flynn started......and I will say they held back last night.    I really think they will try to open it up next week in Tiger Stadium.    It should be one heck of a game.    If LSU doesn't practice on Va Techs punt block though it could be a long night.    Va Tech gets about 10 of those a year it seems.    I think LSU is the class of the West.....and after watching Perilloux (or however you spell it)......he is much faster than Flynn and has better touch it on the ball it appears.......I don't think that the fears of better keep Flynn healthy or the season is shot need to be there.   He was the National player of the year his Sr year........just need to keep him out of casinos and from passing fake $100 ;)

Also its hard to amass 400+ yards offense when  you keep getting turnovers on short fields........I am worried what that team can do when they get the offense opened up and running on all cylinders....

You know your stuff concerning LSU. Very nice post.

LSPRazorbac

LSU's offense didn't look to good last.   Yes, they did score 45 points.   But it was not due to the offense.   Hester is the slowest running back I've seen LSU line up as the starter in years.    At wideout, they have 1 guy they throw to.    LSU's speed back (cant think of his name) always tried to get to the corner and hardly every made it.    If that is the best running backs they have, they will lose to Virgina Tech next saturday.    The only way LSU scores more than 10 points vs VT next week is if their defense comes up with lots of turnovers again.    It was just the first game, but LSU didn't look like they had much on offense. 

Offensive Line looked a little shaky in first half.  But their offense was very vanilla.  It was very apparent they were holding it back so V Tech wouldn't have film.  Offensive Coordinator Gary Crowton is known for really opening an offense up, instead of the conservative play last year.

And Hester is the fullback and actually his stats are very comparable to Hillis I believe.

razornole

sorry dude, I'm not familiar with that sort of situation in the Ozarks.  I thought the hogs were then Miami kicked them, the USC games didn't do it either, Auburn was good, but then well ya know how they play in Nov. Dec.

I thought I once saw it while I lived in Tallahassee
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

hawaiianhogster

LSU scored on every turn over. What offense were you referring to? Miss ST.? Yea they SU%%$#@#$%KED! Funny how their coach doesn't have a trigger finger like Nutt. A good lesson on how not to treat your best QB.

Dugann

I was not too impressed either... still if we can not throw the ball we are screwed this year and for sure vs LSU this year.
By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

linden0722

I agree. That receiver is going to be a good one though.

Wayne Watson

What will you think when they kick our butt..................again?
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

ErieHog

Just watched the game for a 3rd time;  looks like LSU is ok up front, save when they try to pull a guard.  Two or three penalties, and even when the guard made it over, he wasn't taking on a defender, so much as absorbing one.   When they get the wrinkles out of the OL, they'll be salty on O.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."