Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wow! Troy's Head Coach inserts foot in mouth...careless comment about slavery!

Started by Porkem, August 28, 2007, 12:53:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkem

Troy head coach Larry Blakeney had this to say about Tracy Rocker:  "Well, I got him out of bondage.  He was in West Alabama.  Have you ever been to Livingston, Alabama?"

And you think Dale says some dumb things?  Can you believe this guy?  A head coach making references to slavery and hurling insults at a town in his own state? 

http://www.gotroytrojans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7222
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

hogchick26

In all honesty, I don't think the coach was making any implication of slavery. I think he was saying that Livingston, AL was hell on earth, and Rocker got away, just like I got away from NE Arkansas another "special" place on earth!
It's a new day in Razorback Nation! Go Hogs!

hog_heaven_2000

Quote from: hogchick26 on August 28, 2007, 01:06:01 pm
In all honesty, I don't think the coach was making any implication of slavery. I think he was saying that Livingston, AL was hell on earth, and Rocker got away, just like I got away from NE Arkansas another "special" place on earth!

Yes, I think that was what he was trying to say. But he used a poor choice of words.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

GTOWNHOG

That's a stretch.  "Bondage" can mean a lot of things.  Just "Google" it and find out...  ;D  You will be directed to some VERY interesting websites. 
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

kcabrozaR

WE EAT SAWDUST WE CRAP LOGS WE AIN'T NOTHING BUT MEAN ASS HOGS
          Do not argue with an idiot, people watching may not notice the difference!

axedawg

Haha...yes I also was able to escaupe' that area!   

heathman

Not the best choice of words but give the guy a break that is not what he meant.

hogchick26

Quote from: axedawg on August 28, 2007, 01:10:07 pm

Feels good, don't it?
It's a new day in Razorback Nation! Go Hogs!

Michaelt

I think it was hilarious; mainly because I have been through Livingston;

It's a LONG reach to try and twist that to say that the coach meant ANYTHING about slavery.......

but long reaches and spinning things that are said to say other things is common place....

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

axedawg

Quote from: hogchick26 on August 28, 2007, 01:14:03 pm
Quote from: axedawg on August 28, 2007, 01:10:07 pm

Feels good, don't it?

No question about it...seemed as if there were waiting lists to procure jobs at fast-food establishments in most of the area, sadly.  I have been in NWA since graduating college in 1992 so evidently I like the area and certainly love my Hogs!! 

Porkem

That's what Imus thought too when he was talking about the Rutgers women's basketball team.  
Quote from: Cooper on August 28, 2007, 01:09:47 pm
I see nothing wrong with that statement.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

HoopHog

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on August 28, 2007, 01:09:13 pm
That's a stretch.  "Bondage" can mean a lot of things.  Just "Google" it and find out...  ;D  You will be directed to some VERY interesting websites. 

HOLY COW!!!  

You just made me pass Coke Zero through the nasal passages!  I must say, I much prefer Coke Zero through the sinuses than I do regular Coke or Diet Coke.

wholehog92

There's a difference between using Nappy Headed Hoes, only one meaning I'm aware of when used as a phrase.  Nappy could have several meanings, Hoes could have several meanings, and even Headed has several meanings.  Nappy Headed Hoe, just one I'm aware of.

Bondage- As was astutely pointed out has some sexual conotations, has a meaning of no hope for escape (as intended) and yes slavery.  Just because Tracy Rocker is black doesn't mean he was talking about slavery.  In fact in this case, I think it says more about a person that reads it that way.  Have you heard someone that read it that way?  It seems pretty clear what was intended to me.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

OTTER

As I understand it, you are supposed to inhale coke, not exhale it!! (Those bubbles do tickle, though)
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Porkem

Cooper...it is a strange double standard.  Coaches who make any kind of racist comments should be held accountable.  Maybe Troy doesn't have a zero tolerance policy, but most universities do.  There are just some things you should not say.
Quote from: Cooper on August 28, 2007, 01:31:40 pm
Quote from: butchdavisisback on August 28, 2007, 01:28:07 pm
That's what Imus thought too when he was talking about the Rutgers women's basketball team.  

This isn't on Imus' level.

slopinhogs

say what?you're in Mississippi bub . Alabama is no different and neither is LA! so if you think we are not segredated just drive to one of these places and dine out. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

HoopHog

Quote from: OTTER on August 28, 2007, 01:37:24 pm
As I understand it, you are supposed to inhale coke, not exhale it!! (Those bubbles do tickle, though)

Well, so the directions say.  Nonehteless, I always tend to be a rule breaker.

cbjagman

Quote from: butchdavisisback on August 28, 2007, 12:53:45 pm
Troy head coach Larry Blakeney had this to say about Tracy Rocker:  "Well, I got him out of bondage.  He was in West Alabama.  Have you ever been to Livingston, Alabama?"

And you think Dale says some dumb things?  Can you believe this guy?  A head coach making references to slavery and hurling insults at a town in his own state? 

Boy, between he and Dale you really get some memorable quotes. Does keep life interesting.........

Cartoon Man

Being in bondage isn't a racial remark.  I preach all the time about being in bondage to sin. If the statement doesn't bother Tracy Rocker, then there is nothing wrong with it. Let's not make a Mountain out of a mole hill.

lrhogfan24

Quote from: butchdavisisback on August 28, 2007, 01:42:37 pm
Cooper...it is a strange double standard.  Coaches who make any kind of racist comments should be held accountable.  Maybe Troy doesn't have a zero tolerance policy, but most universities do.  There are just some things you should not say.

Butch,
I agree...but this wasn't racist.

hogsanity

Quote from: hog_heaven_2000 on August 28, 2007, 01:08:41 pm

Yes, I think that was what he was trying to say. But he used a poor choice of words.

Everything is a poor choice of words to someone.  The word "and' probably hacks someone off.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Porkem

I would think, to a lot of people, this would be offensive to say the least.  What do you think the reaction would be if Saban...or Nutt...or any high profile "white" coach made that kind of remark.  I'm just saying I don't think it is as harmless a comment as many of you think.  We should ask Al Sharpton what he thinks.

The Hog

I think you need to read the rest of the article.

"Well, I got him out of bondage," Blakeney said. "He was in West Alabama. Have you ever been to Livingston, Ala.?

"His wife still loves me for hiring him out of there."

Rocker, now in his fifth year as Arkansas' defensive line coach, still considers Blakeney a mentor who helped shape his views on how a college football coach should act.
Automatic RUN!

Porkem

I give up.  I hope we CRUSH the Troy Tojans!  If they can't compete out there on the field, I hope we KICK THEIR SUNBELT ARSE!!  Now, I'm mad and fired up!  I'm going to go against my own advice and bet on the HOGS!  WOOO PIG SOOOEY!!!  Their coach and their program are TOTAL LOSERS in my book!
Quote from: The Hog on August 28, 2007, 02:29:29 pm

I think you need to read the rest of the article.

“Well, I got him out of bondage,” Blakeney said. “He was in West Alabama. Have you ever been to Livingston, Ala.?

“His wife still loves me for hiring him out of there.”

Rocker, now in his fifth year as Arkansas’ defensive line coach, still considers Blakeney a mentor who helped shape his views on how a college football coach should act.

casken

Quote from: butchdavisisback on August 28, 2007, 02:28:16 pm
I would think, to a lot of people, this would be offensive to say the least.  What do you think the reaction would be if Saban...or Nutt...or any high profile "white" coach made that kind of remark.  I'm just saying I don't think it is as harmless a comment as many of you think.  We should ask Al Sharpton what he thinks.

Too many people ask Al Sharpton already.  Nuff said.  And don't call me racist because I have no racist bone in my body...but if you are attempting to make a point about someone saying questionable stuff, why would you go to one of the masters at it and ask him?   Surely you jest.... Geeee??????????

WPS :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

casken

Quote from: hogsanity on August 28, 2007, 02:20:47 pm
Quote from: hog_heaven_2000 on August 28, 2007, 01:08:41 pm

Everything is a poor choice of words to someone.  The word "and' probably hacks someone off.

"and"...I can't believe you said that!  I HATE that word.  You are soooo insensitive ;)
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

tropical soooiee

Quote from: wholehog92 on August 28, 2007, 01:37:06 pm
There's a difference between using Nappy Headed Hoes, only one meaning I'm aware of when used as a phrase.  Nappy could have several meanings, Hoes could have several meanings, and even Headed has several meanings.  Nappy Headed Hoe, just one I'm aware of.

Bondage- As was astutely pointed out has some sexual conotations, has a meaning of no hope for escape (as intended) and yes slavery.  Just because Tracy Rocker is black doesn't mean he was talking about slavery.  In fact in this case, I think it says more about a person that reads it that way.  Have you heard someone that read it that way?  It seems pretty clear what was intended to me.

See that's where you're wrong. There are very separate and distinctive meanings to that phrase.

The first meaning, as used by Don Imus, is very offensive and derogatory to both women and African Americans and makes light of the struggles of those respective peoples.

The second meaning, as used by every rapper on earth, is an artistic expression and has some kind of cultural relevance I haven't quite figured out yet.

The main way you can tell which meaning someone intends is by how the general public reacts.  :-\

VandyHog

That was in no way a racist comment. If we've reached the point where that is considered racist, we've gone too far down hill.

I believe he was talking about freeing him from the bondage of poverty and no hope. The poverty belt of Alabama is improving, but it was hell on earth for many people. Blakeney has given a lot of talented young kids a chance to break free of that.

If you disagree, you might want to call him up. I've never known him to shy away from talking to someone (or expressing his opinion).

PrepareforGlory

Get a life, losers. This was a joke made by a coach (with a sense of humor) who is very close to Coach Rocker and his wife. Blakeney also happens to be the former head coach at Livingston and also grew up a short drive away. These guys spent half a life together with various teams and have been through many a seedy town. If they had never met it would be one thing. But to make an issue of an inside joke that Blakeney has with the Rocker family- you guys are really digging deep for some kind of motivation. You simply don't know the folks involved or the context of the comments made.

Why measure your words better? PC folks can find negative connotation in just about anything anyway.

Blakeney also doesn't shy away from giving coaching slots to minorities- many of whom leave for more high-profile jobs. Maybe your good ol' boy network can learn from that.

Porkem

Thank you genius.  So, tell me, what qualifies a town as "seedy?"
Quote from: PrepareforGlory on August 28, 2007, 05:15:37 pm
Get a life, losers. This was a joke made by a coach (with a sense of humor) who is very close to Coach Rocker and his wife. Blakeney also happens to be the former head coach at Livingston and also grew up a short drive away. These guys spent half a life together with various teams and have been through many a seedy town. If they had never met it would be one thing. But to make an issue of an inside joke that Blakeney has with the Rocker family- you guys are really digging deep for some kind of motivation. You simply don't know the folks involved or the context of the comments made.

Why measure your words better? PC folks can find negative connotation in just about anything anyway.

Blakeney also doesn't shy away from giving coaching slots to minorities- many of whom leave for more high-profile jobs. Maybe your good ol' boy network can learn from that.

VandyHog

Travel to that part of Alabama and you'll find out really fast.  Run down, trashy, couches in the front yard, old refrigerators used as playground equipment, trucks on blocks.  Much of the area actually is quite beautiful, but there are some seedy places there.

silvertip

Quote from: butchdavisisback on August 28, 2007, 01:42:37 pm
Cooper...it is a strange double standard.  Coaches who make any kind of racist comments should be held accountable.  Maybe Troy doesn't have a zero tolerance policy, but most universities do.  There are just some things you should not say.

There was nothing racist about it. Put your PC radar away or turn down the sensitivity. You're trying to make something out of nothing.

PrepareforGlory

You basically just described Northwest Arkansas before the Wal*Mart money started flowing in!

VandyHog

You may be right!  There are seedy places in every state.  And nice places in every state. It has nothing to do with the race of the people living there but everything to do with little things like caring enough about where you live to actually pick up the trash.

Rocky&Boarwinkle

Quote from: PrepareforGlory on August 28, 2007, 05:30:54 pm
You basically just described Northwest Arkansas before the Wal*Mart money started flowing in!

Or North Central Arkansas to this day.   ;)

weresoclose

:puke:

Well if anybody had ever been to Livingston, you would know what he's talking about.  I don't think black people are allowed on the golf course there.  The n-word is used just like any other, and OPEN racism is the norm -- THE NORM.  I have never witnessed so as much widespread ignorance as I did in West and South Alabama.    I was thankful to be from Arkansas when I was there.  

To make a reference like that is sadly appropriate.

Michaelt

Quote from: butchdavisisback on August 28, 2007, 05:26:45 pm
Thank you genius.  So, tell me, what qualifies a town as "seedy?"

Take a drive around your town, I'm sure most towns and cities around have some seediness to them.

You drive off South Road or Graham Road here in town, and you get into some very seedy, somewhat scary areas...
there is one area of about three streets, if the police are ever called there, they won't go with just one car, they send two or three as a minimum.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

VandyHog

By the way, your comment is offensive to me.  Why are you singling out coaches at Southern schools? Why are you pointing out their race?  Is that your way of trying to say that all coaches of a certain race at Southern schools are racists?  I don't understand why Al Sharpton should be the judge. Are you saying only a Northerner from New York can decide what is right and what is wrong? I think you need some sensitivity training.  You clearly have an anti-Southern bias.

Landonhog

Settle down, Francis...  Don't go callin the NAACP on the guy...  You guys are pretty easily excited, these days...  Good lord...

wincrimson

Larry Blakeney is a blithering idiot.

He single handedly landed Auburn on probation about a decade ago.  After lining players' pockets with cash, he instructed them to, "Keep it down home, cuz."

This doesn't surprise me in the least bit.

Porkem

Rocker spent three years at Livingston...talk about paying your dues.  Still, bashing Livingston and making light of the poor blacks' situation there reflects very badly on humanity.
Quote from: weresoclose on August 28, 2007, 05:38:12 pm
:puke:

Well if anybody had ever been to Livingston, you would know what he's talking about.  I don't think black people are allowed on the golf course there.  The n-word is used just like any other, and OPEN racism is the norm -- THE NORM.  I have never witnessed so as much widespread ignorance as I did in West and South Alabama.    I was thankful to be from Arkansas when I was there.  

To make a reference like that is sadly appropriate.

luvinlife

If Nutt has said this very thing, everyone on this board would be up in arms.  But since it was another coach, he didn't really mean it that way.

Are you people for real????????

Landonhog

Quote from: luvinlife on August 28, 2007, 06:07:50 pm

If Nutt has said this very thing, everyone on this board would be up in arms.  But since it was another coach, he didn't really mean it that way.

Who cares?.......................  ??? 

IndyHog76

If you care about what Sharpton thinks about anything, you've got much bigger issues in life than the non-importance of the Troy coach's comment.

Mark Lericos

I've known Coach Blakeney a long time... did the Troy coaches show with him for a year, and covered him for a lot longer. If you don't know him... you don't understand it. He's as southern and country as you get. But he's awesome. If you put the quote in the story, you get the context.
   If you're looking for a problem, you'll find it somewhere. Plus, a quote in the paper can't always put a word or statement into perspective. You don't get tone, humor, or context as you would in person.

Let it go... if there's one guy who isn't racist or insensitive... it's Larry Blakeney. I promise you.

Porkem

Mark...I don't know how old you are but Blakeney was the fall guy in the Eric Ramsey case at Auburn that landed them on probation.  Blakeney grew up with former Auburn AD David Housel in Gordo, Alabama and they are both as dirty as they come.   
Quote from: Mark Lericos on August 28, 2007, 06:16:06 pm

I've known Coach Blakeney a long time... did the Troy coaches show with him for a year, and covered him for a lot longer. If you don't know him... you don't understand it. He's as southern and country as you get. But he's awesome. If you put the quote in the story, you get the context.
   If you're looking for a problem, you'll find it somewhere. Plus, a quote in the paper can't always put a word or statement into perspective. You don't get tone, humor, or context as you would in person.

Let it go... if there's one guy who isn't racist or insensitive... it's Larry Blakeney. I promise you.

luvinlife

Quote from: Landonhog on August 28, 2007, 06:11:14 pm
Quote from: luvinlife on August 28, 2007, 06:07:50 pm

Who cares?.......................  ??? 

I agree...it was a nonissue to begin with.  My only point is that if Nutt had said it, people would be on here wanting to crucify him for it.  It is just the mentality of some on this board.

Mark Lericos

Quote from: butchdavisisback on August 28, 2007, 06:34:48 pm
Mark...I don't know how old you are but Blakeney was the fall guy in the Eric Ramsey case at Auburn that landed them on probation.  Blakeney grew up with former Auburn AD David Housel in Gordo, Alabama and they are both as dirty as they come.  
Quote from: Mark Lericos on August 28, 2007, 06:16:06 pm

I do know about it, and I've talked to him about it, off the record. So I reiterate my statement that Blakeney is a good guy, and is a hell of a coach. Regardless... people are complaining about a racist comment, what happened at Auburn has no bearing on that.