Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Interesting Quote from Urban Meyer

Started by Big Papa Satan, August 28, 2007, 08:16:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopS

Just curious, in this thread that you say it was not our offense, but our special teams that cost us, why should I start a new thread to discuss the OC and ST coach?

Tylerhog

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on August 28, 2007, 08:37:18 am
No thanks Urban.  That passing stuff won't work in the SEC.  In Birmingham, you were just crying about trying to be as good as USC.  Meanwhile, our coach was showing off his ring that celebrated a loss in Atlanta. 

Sarcasm off.

Yeah, and if you don't believe Fresh Legs just ask one of JFB's experts!

Richard_white

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2007, 09:26:04 am
Quote from: Tripod1 on August 28, 2007, 09:15:22 am
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 28, 2007, 08:26:55 am
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on August 28, 2007, 08:16:15 am
"If it's all equal and you got a guy back there like him (McFadden) ... and if you can throw the ball at all. I believe that's the one offense that's impossible to stop. If he's not the best tailback in the country, I haven't seen one better."

- Urban Meyer, Florida Head Coach

Hmmm.

And the key part of that statement is, "if you can throw the ball at all". What have I been saying? Do you think that Urban Meyer might know a little about what he is talking about? D-Mac and F-Jo or not, we HAVE to have an effective passing game to keep the defense loose and backed off the ball. This will open things up and give both of them the room to make those spectacular runs we all love to watch. No passing game = a longgggggg season and the increased potential for injury to one or both of these two great backs. In fact, not having an effective passing game is unfair to them. Let us pray that DL is not the Nutty Sock Puppet than many of us think he may be.

Everyone with a brain sees exactly what you see and agrees.  DMac can have a big year IF our passing game is just decent.  If it sucks, I hate to say this, BUT, I think he will end up injured.  Please Lord, don't let that happen!!

Again I say, look at last year.  We had no passing game to speak of, every team "stacked the box" and they still couldn't stop McFadden.  I agree that an EFFICIENT passing game would only add to our overall success, but it's not a necessity for McFadden/Jones to get their yards.

I don't care how many yards DMac/Felix has.  I care for wins.  If having an effective passing games helps us win more games, I would sacrifice DMac's heisman shot for us playing in a BCS game or for the NC game.  This isn't a one player game.  Games are won with more than just one player. 

Hogginitall

I was disputing the claim that our lack of passing game was the reason for our last 3 losses.  I contend that it was special teams blunders.

Frank and Swine

I would say we lost those games because we couldn't stop them from scoring and not just from special team mistakes.  Games are won and lost thoughout the game, not just in the last 3 minutes.  A fumbled punt, kick off return and missed field goals hurt your chances, but so does letting a receiver get open, a RB cut the corner, a run up the middle untouched.  You can point to several plays in any game and say that would have made a difference in the outcome.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Frank and Swine on August 28, 2007, 10:49:56 am
I would say we lost those games because we couldn't stop them from scoring and not just from special team mistakes.  Games are won and lost thoughout the game, not just in the last 3 minutes.  A fumbled punt, kick off return and missed field goals hurt your chances, but so does letting a receiver get open, a RB cut the corner, a run up the middle untouched.  You can point to several plays in any game and say that would have made a difference in the outcome.

I agree that there were additional reasons.  My contention is that special teams blunders was the main reason we lost those games.  Most certainly not the only reason.

Grateful Hog

You think Urban had Tebow throwing over ladders????

Frank and Swine

You pointed out in a previous response that the fumbled punt in the third quarter is what killed us.  We still had another quarter to play!  Why didn't we score in those fifteen minutes? If we hadn't fumbled the punt, would we have scored or 3 and out?  Would Florida have scored again? No one knows for sure, but I like our chances of coming back in the fourth quarter and scoring again if we could have passed effectively.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Frank and Swine on August 28, 2007, 11:02:19 am
You pointed out in a previous response that the fumbled punt in the third quarter is what killed us.  We still had another quarter to play!  Why didn't we score in those fifteen minutes? If we hadn't fumbled the punt, would we have scored or 3 and out?  Would Florida have scored again? No one knows for sure, but I like our chances of coming back in the fourth quarter and scoring again if we could have passed effectively.

We did score after that.  We scored 7 points and they scored 14 after that muffed punt.  Like I said, special teams wasn't the ONLY reason we lost, just the main one in my mind.  I'd like our chances a lot more of winning the game getting the ball back with a 21-17 lead rather than having a 24-21 deficit to overcome.  Plus, like I said previously, it killed ALL of our momentum.  Arkansas had scored 2 TDs in the 3rd quarter prior to that special teams blunder.  Our offense had scored 2 TDs on their defense already, why couldn't they do it again?

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2007, 10:53:28 am

I agree that there were additional reasons.  My contention is that special teams blunders was the main reason we lost those games.  Most certainly not the only reason.

Most fans only remember what they choose to remember in games that they lost. You single out special teams play as to the main reason you lost to LSU and Florida. I will only speak on behalf of the LSU game. Special teams play is NOT the main reason you lost.

Arkansas lost the LSU game because they had no passing game whatsoever.

You forgot that LSU had a 2 score lead for most of the second half. LSU still had a 2 score lead after Trindon Holliday ran back the kickoff for a TD. You forgot that Casey Dick was pathetic all game long and threw a horrible pass that got intercepted by LaRon Landry setting up an easy LSU TD in the 3rd quarter. You forgot that even after Trindon returned the kickoff for a TD, Arkansas returned the next kickoff to the LSU 37 yard line giving Arkansas outstanding field position. What happened is that it took Arkansas over 5 minutes to go 37 yards because they couldn't pass the ball. If Arkansas could have had any kind of passing game then they would have scored much quicker with that great running attack. When Arkansas finally got the ball back they had no passing game whatsoever to move the ball to score again.

We all like to remember certain plays that stick out in our minds as to why we lost a game. We, LSU fans, look at the 2 fumbles we lost on long drives that just killed us against you. We don't fumble the ball and who knows how much more LSU would have beaten Arkansas. However, the fumbles happened and turnovers are a part of the game.

With that great running game Arkansas had last year, the great crowd at Little Rock, and how well motivated your team was, all Arkansas needed was some efficiency in the passing game and that game would have been a W for you guys. 

wholehog92

Reggie Bush was a spectacular college RB by anyone's standards.  Yet somehow Pete Carol figured out that if he threw the ball on occasion, Bush would still be spectacular and the team would win games.  Urban Meyer figured out that if they mixed running and throwing on the same team, you don't even need spectacular to win.  I wouldn't have traded the FL tailbacks for Dmac or Felix, yet somehow they won.

We are close to winning because you make fewer mistakes running the ball than throwing and our starting talent is good enough to be on the field with the upper tier programs.  We lose those games because our talent is not superior.  We cannot line up against the top talent in the nation and run it down their throats.  We are not deep enough like a Nebraska in the 90s.  Yes we were in those games we lost by heartbreaking special teams play.  Did it occur to you that superior coaching realized they would win a close game with an overmatched team for one reason or another in a one dimensional game?

My Lord of the Razorback Nation, please come to HDN with a vision and make these things known to him even if his current followers can't understand it.  Amen.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Tammany Tom on August 28, 2007, 11:20:34 am
Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2007, 10:53:28 am

Most fans only remember what they choose to remember in games that they lost. You single out special teams play as to the main reason you lost to LSU and Florida. I will only speak on behalf of the LSU game. Special teams play is NOT the main reason you lost.

Arkansas lost the LSU game because they had no passing game whatsoever.

You forgot that LSU had a 2 score lead for most of the second half. LSU still had a 2 score lead after Trindon Holliday ran back the kickoff for a TD. You forgot that Casey Dick was pathetic all game long and threw a horrible pass that got intercepted by LaRon Landry setting up an easy LSU TD in the 3rd quarter. You forgot that even after Trindon returned the kickoff for a TD, Arkansas returned the next kickoff to the LSU 37 yard line giving Arkansas outstanding field position. What happened is that it took Arkansas over 5 minutes to go 37 yards because they couldn't pass the ball. If Arkansas could have had any kind of passing game then they would have scored much quicker with that great running attack. When Arkansas finally got the ball back they had no passing game whatsoever to move the ball to score again.

We all like to remember certain plays that stick out in our minds as to why we lost a game. We, LSU fans, look at the 2 fumbles we lost on long drives that just killed us against you. We don't fumble the ball and who knows how much more LSU would have beaten Arkansas. However, the fumbles happened and turnovers are a part of the game.

With that great running game Arkansas had last year, the great crowd at Little Rock, and how well motivated your team was, all Arkansas needed was some efficiency in the passing game and that game would have been a W for you guys. 

I'll say the same for you.  Just because you believe lack of passing game was our main downfall, does not make it a fact.  It's your opinion and that's fine.  My opinion is that special teams blunders was our main downfall in the last three games.

RazorsEdge

Arkansas under Nutt is the proverbial one legged man at an @$$ kicking contest.  You can always find other areas of the game that were lacking, the fact remains that being able to pass the ball effectively is a tremendous asset that we do not have.  Even Houston Nutt recognizes the need to improve the passing game.

311Hog

Yeah he recognizes it, but he doesnt have the intelligence and/or balls to do anything about it.

darth

Quote"If it's all equal and you got a guy back there like him (McFadden) ... and if you can throw the ball at all. I believe that's the one offense that's impossible to stop. If he's not the best tailback in the country, I haven't seen one better."

Fwiw, guys, the context of those quotes was a reporter asking him about Wildcat.  He wasn't talking about adding a passing element to our base offense (though that would sure be nice).

Meyer thinks Wildcat is the perfect offense, unstoppable if you've got a guy at QB that can run AND throw.  He may find out this year that Darren actually can throw a little.  And if he had Darren, he'd probably run Wildcat all game long, all season long.  (I don't know if he'd be right to do that.  Mike Irwin, for example, who I trust like crazy, thinks it should not be overused.  Based on the original interview, though, Meyer seems to disagree, as you'd almost expect him to, considering the schemes used by run oriented spread coaches like Meyer, Rich Rodriguez, etc.)

Mr. Hog

Hey here's a thought, why don't we work on our passing game and special teams, they both have historicaly killed us !

Go Hogs !
Go Hogs Go!

go hogues

"If it's all equal and you got a guy back there like him (McFadden) ... and if you can throw the ball at all. I believe that's the one offense that's impossible to stop. If he's not the best tailback in the country, I haven't seen one better."

Hmmm.
"That offense will never work in the SEC"
-Arkansas' illustrious, all knowing, AD god: J Frank Broyles
:puke:
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Houston h

Can you imagine the numbers that DMac would put up at Texas, Florida, LSU or USC?  Holy stuff!

Prosciutto

Let's forget about Mitch and Casey for a minute. Why do we not have a Junior or Senior QB running our team right now. If we wouldn't have burned Casey's redshirt in mid season he would still be a sophomore. Where are the junior and senior QB's?

Did Nutt put all his faith in Robert Johnson?

bullheaded

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2007, 09:38:48 am
Quote from: BigHog396 on August 28, 2007, 09:36:09 am

Hmmm.

And the key part of that statement is, "if you can throw the ball at all". What have I been saying? Do you think that Urban Meyer might know a little about what he is talking about? D-Mac and F-Jo or not, we HAVE to have an effective passing game to keep the defense loose and backed off the ball. This will open things up and give both of them the room to make those spectacular runs we all love to watch. No passing game = a longgggggg season and the increased potential for injury to one or both of these two great backs. In fact, not having an effective passing game is unfair to them. Let us pray that DL is not the Nutty Sock Puppet than many of us think he may be.

Everyone with a brain sees exactly what you see and agrees.  DMac can have a big year IF our passing game is just decent.  If it sucks, I hate to say this, BUT, I think he will end up injured.  Please Lord, don't let that happen!!

Again I say, look at last year.  We had no passing game to speak of, every team "stacked the box" and they still couldn't stop McFadden.  I agree that an EFFICIENT passing game would only add to our overall success, but it's not a necessity for McFadden/Jones to get their yards.
You obviously don't get the subtle nuances of football.  Who cares if McFadden/Jones get their yards.  Who cares if noone was able to "stop" McFadden?  I would say that LSU, UF and Wisc all stopped McFadden.  It doesn't matter if you have a RB that goes for 400 yards, if you lose because of the lack of a passing game, they must have stopped him enough to win the darned game.

If you want to make it to that next level... ie beating LSU, UF, and Wisc, you have to have a passing game.  None of those games would have been close if we simply could throw the ball effectively.  How hard is that to understand?

How hard is it to understand that passing was not the reason we lost ANY of these games?  The main reason we lost those games was special teams blunders and inopportune penalties.

slopinhogs

get ready for it Lee is a nutt boy yes man . and we will run till we are bvlue in the face and throw once in a while. whether it will be effective is yert to be seen. sometimes you know what to do and sometimes you don't.
ode to DMW go somewhere else. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

HawgWyld

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on August 28, 2007, 08:37:18 am
No thanks Urban.  That passing stuff won't work in the SEC.  In Birmingham, you were just crying about trying to be as good as USC.  Meanwhile, our coach was showing off his ring that celebrated a loss in Atlanta. 

Sarcasm off.
That's not completely accurate. That ring also celebrates the glorious loss in the Credit Card Bowl.

cbjagman

August 28, 2007, 02:19:36 pm #72 Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 02:21:14 pm by cbjagman
Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2007, 08:38:24 am

Hmmm.

Yeah, just like last year.  We'll have another horribly long year in which we are being talked about as a National Championship contender, take LSU and Florida down to the wire (we had chances to beat them if it wasn't for our Special Teams play), and lose a close game, that we dominated statistically, to the team that ends up #5 in the country.  Say whatever you want to say, but we had chances to win all of those games last year, passing game or not.  It was SPECIAL TEAMS that cost us those games, not lack of passing game.  We were beating Florida 24-21 when Fish muffed that punt.  We were getting the ball back with a lead until that happened!
I certainly don't argue with the notion that special team foul ups certainly helped cost us the SECC game. We weren't exactly great during the LSU game either; however, not having any credible passing attack during that game certainly didn't help us and possibly cost us a chance to come back at the very end of the game. By the way, while we're discussing it let's also throw in (no pun intended) the Capital One Bowl. If I recall correctly neither the defense or special teams can be blamed for that one. The pitiful offensive output, especially after DMc came up limping, definitely caused our downfall in that contest. One other thought: heaven forbid that we have injuries to DMc, Felix or both; however, in the event that we did what's the game plan then? Do we even really have one without the "dynamic duo"? While I think M. Smith is a talented player, it would be difficult for me to envision him carrying most of the load. IMHO one or more ball games this year will come to whether or not we can come up with a half way legitimate passing attack. It usually has in the past and I certainly see no reason not to believe it won't in the future. Besides, no one's demanding or expecting us to throw it around like Hawaii or BYU.

abraHAM_lincoln

Quote from: jabohog on August 28, 2007, 09:00:09 am
If you go back and take a look at it, we have a great running game. Short yardage situations are where we can't seem to get the one or two yards we need running the ball. An effective passing game would help this.

Which shows that when it is obvious running downs and the defense knows..they can stop it.  McFadden's long run against LSU was because the defense didn't dream that late in the game we would just buckle down and run it right up the middle.  Until then his Performance wasn't a stunning performance at all..

Hogginitall

Quote from: cbjagman on August 28, 2007, 02:19:36 pm

Hmmm.

Yeah, just like last year.  We'll have another horribly long year in which we are being talked about as a National Championship contender, take LSU and Florida down to the wire (we had chances to beat them if it wasn't for our Special Teams play), and lose a close game, that we dominated statistically, to the team that ends up #5 in the country.  Say whatever you want to say, but we had chances to win all of those games last year, passing game or not.  It was SPECIAL TEAMS that cost us those games, not lack of passing game.  We were beating Florida 24-21 when Fish muffed that punt.  We were getting the ball back with a lead until that happened!
I certainly don't argue with the notion that special team foul ups certainly helped cost us the SEC game. We weren't exactly great during the LSU game either; however, not having any credible passing attack during that game certainly didn't help us and possibly cost us a chance to come back at the very end of the game. By the way, while we're discussing it let's also throw in (no pun intended) the Capital One Bowl. If I recall correctly neither the defense of special teams can be blamed for that one. The pitiful offensive output, especially after DMc came up limiting, definitely caused our downfall in that contest. One other thought: heaven forbid that we have injuries to DMc, Felix or both; however, in the event that we did what's the game plan then? Do we even really have one without the "dynamic duo"? While I think M. Smith is a talented player it would be difficult for me to envision him carrying most of the load. IMHO one or more ball games this year will come to whether or not we can come up with a half way legitimate passing attack. It usually has in the past and I certainly see no reason not to believe it won't in the future. Besides, no one's demanding or expecting us to throw it around like Hawaii or BYU.

I'm tired of talking about this, but I'll comment one last time.  The defense played well against the run in the Capital One Bowl, there's no denying that.  They played ok against the pass (gave up 206 yards to an average passing offense).  Our offense was average overall.  BUT, we missed a field goal early on in a game that was ultimately decided by 3 points.  I definitely agree that this was a game that we should've played better in.  We should've have been able to pass the ball more effectively against them.  Florida and LSU were two of the best passing defenses in the nation.

Look at ND vs. LSU.  Brady Quinn went 15-35 for 148 yards and 2 INTs
Look at Ohio St vs. Florida.  Troy Smith went 4-14 for 35 yards and 1 INT

Hogginitall

Quote from: abraHAM_lincoln on August 28, 2007, 02:23:22 pm
Quote from: jabohog on August 28, 2007, 09:00:09 am
If you go back and take a look at it, we have a great running game. Short yardage situations are where we can't seem to get the one or two yards we need running the ball. An effective passing game would help this.

Which shows that when it is obvious running downs and the defense knows..they can stop it.  McFadden's long run against LSU was because the defense didn't dream that late in the game we would just buckle down and run it right up the middle.  Until then his Performance wasn't a stunning performance at all..

Well, he had 20 rushes for 102 yards and a TD minus that run.  Also, Jones had 16 carries for 142 yards and a TD.

Not stunning, but very good.

hvsupastar

"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

jkcrunch

Hogway

August 28, 2007, 03:41:47 pm #78 Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:43:57 pm by Hogway
We need some design to our passing game.  I know we won't get it but we need better design to help receivers get open and get Casey going.  He seems to play well when he hits a couple of passes early.  When he doesn't he struggles all game long.  I mean Hillis and DJW should be able to beat linebackers almost every time.  4-7 yard dump passes.  It doesn't sound like much but I promise it will go a long way during the course of the game.  We need to stretch the field early.  If we hit the play then great we have momentum.  If we miss it is second down and now they have to at least be aware that we will throw it.  I just never understand why we can't try to show intent early.  It just never seems like we run any plays to set up other plays.  I wish I could find time to watch some film.  Do our receiver ever cross?  How hard is it to defend when we don't even try to confuse anybody.  Play action package will be helpful but only if we carry out the fake properly.  Finally, quit giving away the play with the personnel!  Those are just a few ideas that might help.  The most frustrating thing I have ever watched in my life.  Then we always hear "receivers need to do a better job of separating".  Well fella, if we are having trouble separating on our hitches then design something to help them get open.  You can only get so much separation when the D-back knows your either going 5 yards and turning around or 8 yards and turning around.     

TDHog

Hmmm.

So we got a new special teams coach right??  Or did Nutt boy go behind the back of the offensive coordinator of the year to bring in David Lee?  Long live the mafia.

TDHog

Hmmm.

Does yards win games or points?  Bottom line is we lost the last 3 games, we need to improve.

TDHog

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2007, 10:27:22 am
Quote from: RazorsEdge on August 28, 2007, 10:00:30 am
The folks who post about being a muffed punt away from the SEC Championship never mention Alabama missing field goals from 30, 33 & 37 yards and missing a PAT.  If Alabama could have kicked as well as a high school team, we aren't in Atlanta muffing punts.  Vandy was a gift as well.

It's funny how "so close" is a one way street.

I'm not disputing those games at all.  We were close to losing those games.  And look at how we threw the ball against Vandy.  Where did that get us?

You guys saying, "if only we had a decent passing game, we would've beat LSU and Florida by 2+ touchdowns" are absolutely CRAZY.  Do you know how crazy that sounds?  It's easy to say, but that doesn't make it a fact!

We passed for more yards than we rushed for in the Florida game.  It is about more than a passing game.  The MAIN reason we lost these games was special teams blunders.

Our running game was not up to par against Vandy, you are not comparing apples to apples.

WilsonHog

August 28, 2007, 07:13:36 pm #82 Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 07:15:41 pm by WilsonHog
I'm not into numbers.

I could not care less about how many yards McFadden and Jones get UNLESS we win the football game.

Otherwise, it's all just for show.

That's why I love football, or any athletics for that matter. Want to separate the winners from the losers? Want to define people?

Just look at the darned scoreboard.

94 Hawg

psshaw!

like Urban Meyer knows something about football....

Head coaching record
Year    Team    Overall    Conference    Standing    Bowl Game    Bowl Opponent    Outcome    Rank#
Bowling Green State University Falcons (Mid-American Conference) (2001 — 2002)
2001    Bowling Green    8-3    5-3    2-T             
2002    Bowling Green    9-3    6-2    3             
At Bowling Green:    17-6    11-5    
Utah Utes (Mountain West Conference) (2003 — 2004)
2003    Utah    10-2    5-1    1    Liberty Bowl    Southern Miss    W 17-0    21
2004    Utah    12-0    7-0    1    Fiesta Bowl †    Pittsburgh    W 35-7    5
At Utah:    22-2    12-1    
Florida Gators (Southeastern Conference) (2005 — present)
2005    Florida    9-3    5-3    3rd East    Outback Bowl    Iowa    W 31-24    16/12
2006    Florida    13-1    8-1    1    BCS National Championship Game †    Ohio State    W 41-14    1
At Florida:    22-4    13-4    
Career:    61-12    
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

WilsonHog

August 28, 2007, 07:20:12 pm #84 Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 07:21:56 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: 94 Hawg on August 28, 2007, 07:17:43 pm
psshaw!

Head coaching record
Year    Team    Overall    Conference    Standing    Bowl Game    Bowl Opponent    Outcome    Rank#
2003    Utah    10-2    5-1    1    Liberty Bowl    Southern Miss    W 17-0    21
2005    Florida    9-3    5-3    3rd East    Outback Bowl    Iowa    W 31-24    16/12
2006    Florida    13-1    8-1    1    BCS National Championship Game †    Ohio State    W 41-14    1

I can't imagine why in the world I would lend credibility to anything Urban Meyer has to say about offensive football when I have a guy like Hogginitall who is willing to share his wisdom with me.

Hey, here is an idea. Instead of listening to what Steven Jobs has to say about computers I'll take a short drive and ask the first crackhead I see.

Reaganite

Hmmm.

So... Basically, Meyer is saying there's nothing to fear from Arkansas.

moley_russells_wart_hog

i maybe reading it wrong , but his statement sounds a little bit like running back envy, if i only running back like him i could develope a offense that would be unstopable

chortle

I just dream of a day where we have 2nd and 4 and Casey (or whomever) walks up to the line, sees 8 guys in the box and checks off to a go route to Monk or Crawford or anybody and we throw over the top for six and make somebody pay.

With this backfield, and Nutt's propensity for the run, there is no reason we shouldn't burn somebody deep at least one time per game.

HoopS

Going on the theory presented here by Hoggintall, our ST cost us the last 3 games.  So why would Shibest be retained?  But I know, start another thread since that question so obviously doesn't belong in this thread that pertains to special teams. 

And, it wasn't our passing game, or lack there of, yet that coach gets demoted. 

Would your theory be that Houston Nutt made some poor decisions in his coaching staff this off-season?

Also, why did USC see a need to have a passing attack when they had Bush and White?

How often do one dimensional teams win conference titles?   National championships?

When we threw 4 sorry passes against LSU, did you wish that we were at least competent in that area at that time?

Why did it takes us 5 minutes to drive around 35 yards?  Could we have used that time at the end of the game?  If yes, could we have then felt free to run or pass?

Why does Nutt proclaim that we need to improve the passing game but you do not?

Do you believe that with even a decent passing game, that Dmac would have even wider lanes to run through?

At the end of last year, was DMac healthy?  If not, what else could a normal football team do to take up the slack when their workhorse is banged up?

oldtimerhog

Hmmm.

Urban Meyer is a championship coach and HDN is a baffoon impersonating an average coach.....
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

Hogginitall

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 28, 2007, 07:20:12 pm
Quote from: 94 Hawg on August 28, 2007, 07:17:43 pm
psshaw!

Head coaching record

I can't imagine why in the world I would lend credibility to anything Urban Meyer has to say about offensive football when I have a guy like Hogginitall who is willing to share his wisdom with me.

Hey, here is an idea. Instead of listening to what Steven Jobs has to say about computers I'll take a short drive and ask the first crackhead I see.

Wow, I disagree with you and you liken me to a crackhead.  Real classy...

hoglady

Hmmm.

I agree - both LSU and Florida were lost by special teams as much as anything else - That LSU touchdown return was a killer and the muffed punt in the Florida was the game killer.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

clew

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2007, 09:35:08 am
Quote from: cityhog on August 28, 2007, 09:25:28 am

Hmmm.

Yeah, just like last year.  We'll have another horribly long year in which we are being talked about as a National Championship contender, take LSU and Florida down to the wire (we had chances to beat them if it wasn't for our Special Teams play), and lose a close game, that we dominated statistically, to the team that ends up #5 in the country.  Say whatever you want to say, but we had chances to win all of those games last year, passing game or not.  It was SPECIAL TEAMS that cost us those games, not lack of passing game.  We were beating Florida 24-21 when Fish muffed that punt.  We were getting the ball back with a lead until that happened!

Yeah, the Special Teams cost us in those games, HOWEVER..... IF we had an effective passing game I don't think the score is close enough in any of those games for the special teams to determine the outcome of the game. jmho

What are you talking about?  In the LSU game, we lost by 5 points and gave up a 92-yard kickoff return for a TD (7 points + huge momentum swing) and missed an extra point in the first quarter (1 pt) that caused us to go for 2 pts the next time we scored (which I didn't like), which we did not convert.

In the Florida game, we had a 21-17 lead and Florida was punting to us with 3:00 left in the 3rd Quarter.  Instead of having a 4 point lead and the ball, we ended up down 3 points and the momentum more than swung in their favor after that.  On top of that, Jeremy Davis missed a field goal.  So, that's 10 points right there + a huge momentum swing.

Is it me or do you never go for two unless you HAVE to?  That was a coaching mistake that may have cost us the game.  Even the announcers didn't like the attempts for two when it wasn't called for.
Pure as the dawn

Fatman

If you want to blame two losses on special teams then why did we keep the same coach in charge of special teams? I think most any other school would have made a change after such a debacle cost them a chance at a BCS bowl. Meyer just let out the secret he discovered to stopping our offense.

Hogginitall

Quote from: PhotHOGrapher on August 29, 2007, 12:36:34 am
Quote from: Hogginitall on August 28, 2007, 09:35:08 am
Quote from: cityhog on August 28, 2007, 09:25:28 am

Hmmm.

Yeah, just like last year.  We'll have another horribly long year in which we are being talked about as a National Championship contender, take LSU and Florida down to the wire (we had chances to beat them if it wasn't for our Special Teams play), and lose a close game, that we dominated statistically, to the team that ends up #5 in the country.  Say whatever you want to say, but we had chances to win all of those games last year, passing game or not.  It was SPECIAL TEAMS that cost us those games, not lack of passing game.  We were beating Florida 24-21 when Fish muffed that punt.  We were getting the ball back with a lead until that happened!

Yeah, the Special Teams cost us in those games, HOWEVER..... IF we had an effective passing game I don't think the score is close enough in any of those games for the special teams to determine the outcome of the game. jmho

What are you talking about?  In the LSU game, we lost by 5 points and gave up a 92-yard kickoff return for a TD (7 points + huge momentum swing) and missed an extra point in the first quarter (1 pt) that caused us to go for 2 pts the next time we scored (which I didn't like), which we did not convert.

In the Florida game, we had a 21-17 lead and Florida was punting to us with 3:00 left in the 3rd Quarter.  Instead of having a 4 point lead and the ball, we ended up down 3 points and the momentum more than swung in their favor after that.  On top of that, Jeremy Davis missed a field goal.  So, that's 10 points right there + a huge momentum swing.

Is it me or do you never go for two unless you HAVE to?  That was a coaching mistake that may have cost us the game.  Even the announcers didn't like the attempts for two when it wasn't called for.

You don't go for 2 that early.  I didn't like the call.  I've always heard that you don't chase points early in games.  It'll end up costing you.

josh_sec33

Davis is a punter. he was forced into kicking because there was no other choice. (because heaven forbid we try to go out and get a kicker or anything...oh wait, we finally did...)

If you let Davis just launch them without worrying about the uprights, he'll do quite well.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Wooisme

Developing a passing game means having the 'nutts' to pass on first down...

...to pass on second and one, two, or three.

...to pass on third and less than a yard.

Taking those "shots" gives an offense a chance for success.  Passing only on obvious passing downs is a sure sign that the "whiner & the crier" is oblivious to "what it takes" to leave one dimension in the rear view.

Nutt is oblivious.
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

Roadrunner

Hmmm.

What he is really saying is "We're a one-dimensional team and our plays are predictable."
When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you.

fourche creek

Quote from: swisshog on August 28, 2007, 08:32:27 am
We miss you Mitch and Gus.

why,,,, mitch would be no better...  after i saw him play in the high school all-star game in texas,, uh ohh he is over rated... couldnt complete anything

toshortrock

quit bitching,about how good so and so is,if we can;t throw at least a little,,Dmac will be in for a long season,,maybe Felix can throw it also,,where;s mitch?
Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////