Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time to Review Fan Etiquette

Started by PAHog, August 27, 2007, 04:36:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

McKdaddy

August 28, 2007, 12:36:02 pm #150 Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 04:15:49 pm by McKdaddy
I don't get too caught up in someone wearing a jersey or not, though it's not my choice of game attire.
I get fired fired up about those people that wear green, yellow, blue, etc. to Hog games.  Why?  I realize, as another poster stated, that it's your $ and you'll do as you please.  But why?  Are you that interested in expressing your individualism, rather than your love of the Hogs?

Story I like to tell:
I have a friend that will remain nameless that refuses to wear any colors or logos of his beloved team and university to the games.  He found out I had a ticket available to the USC game last year as my wife couldn't go.  He asked if he could sit with me and I told him no b/c he won't wear something Hog related to the games.  He said that was his choice and that he didn't want to look like everyone else, nor did he want to wear red just b/c everyone else does.  Additionally, he asked me why I cared what he wore to games.
I congratulated him on watching the game from his couch.  I gave away the ticket to a stranger / red-clad Hog fan that walked by our tailgate party prior to the game.

If you're sitting w/ me you'll be in some form of Hog gear . . . red, white, black w/ Hog logos, etc.
I
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

HDale

August 28, 2007, 12:36:05 pm #151 Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:38:23 pm by HDale
Quote from: hogrocker on August 27, 2007, 04:41:37 pm
1.  Please don't get hammered drunk and drop an F-bomb at Houston Nutt loud enough for my five-year-old to hear (guy who sits behind me).
Take the kid to Chucky Cheese instead.

I hate it when some guy brings a kid into an adult situation and then complains about adult behaviour.
I will always hate the Dork

EastexHawg

Quote from: HDale on August 28, 2007, 12:36:05 pm
1.  Please don't get hammered drunk and drop an F-bomb at Houston Nutt loud enough for my five-year-old to hear (guy who sits behind me).

I hate it when some guy brings a kid into an adult situation and then complains about adult behaviour.

I just laughed out loud at that one...

It's probably not politically correct, but it's dang funny.

Vandyhog4

I'm sorry, I missed the part where Razorback games are strictly for adults.

HDale

Quote from: Vandyhog4 on August 28, 2007, 12:50:11 pm

Not many five-year-olds enjoy spending 4 hours at the stadium anyway.
Why don't you leave junior at home and take him to the park on Sunday? Not very many F-Bombs are slung around at the park.

I wish the UofA would designate an area for you 2% who insist on all of us adhereing to your code of ethics.
You could sit down there with your kids and talk about soccer.

bythelake

Quote from: BartIV on August 28, 2007, 11:59:06 am
Quote from: rlh06 on August 28, 2007, 11:56:21 am
Quote from: BartIV on August 28, 2007, 11:52:06 am
Quote from: eclipse on August 28, 2007, 11:50:50 am
Quote from: BartIV on August 28, 2007, 11:47:24 am
Quote from: eclipse on August 28, 2007, 11:44:05 am
Quote from: BartIV on August 28, 2007, 11:39:11 am
Quote from: PigPusher on August 28, 2007, 11:36:40 am
Quote from: opozone12 on August 28, 2007, 11:31:38 am
Quote from: BartIV on August 28, 2007, 11:27:18 am
But you would think someone could cheer just as good sitting down, than standing up.  Am I wrong?

I am a stander, but at times, I think it would be nice to be a sitter.  Am I wrong to feel that way?  I pay for the seat, don't I. Should I sit in it?

You bought the seat, so do as you please in it. But you didnt buy 71,999 seats, so it wouldn't be right to tell everyone else what to do.

Look at the top Programs in the SEC : LSU, Florida, Auburn, Tennessee...
ALL of these programs have fans that are loud, jumping up and down, and once again just too loud for opposing defenses. Maybe we should take something from these examples.

Perhaps future stadium designs would have sections for standing only with no seats.  If you are a stander, fine just buy a ticket in the standers section.  We could squeeze in more people that way.  The rest of the stadium would still stand when it is desired, but they would not remain standing.
There definitely needs to be a smoking-sitting section.

LOL, your reasons for wanting to sit are becoming clearer. 
Well, maybe a smoking-sitting-stripper section would help, but that is all of us "sitter fans" ask for.  You "stander fans" hold strong to your "fan"atical beliefs.

LMAO.  The strippers could be on top of the BAC for entertainment at halftime and breaks.
I am afraid now they might distract Houston Nutt, so its probably not a good idea.

Hhhmm, you could simulcast the game into BWA and have a stripper-sitter-smoker-drinker section in the private boxes.  They could charge $175 per ticket and sell a few I'm sure.
or i could go to a farmington gentlemans club and sit and drink and smoke and watch the strippers and the RAzorback game on tv while only paying about 30 dollars in 1 dollar bills and some change.

The problem with the strippers is that some people would want a table dance at their seat.  Now that might block some peoples view as the stripper does the booty shake.

The Marmot

They're definitely not geared toward small kids. I know its sometimes difficult to find alternative means of childcare so that parents can attend events... but tell me... do you really think an infant child enjoys being at a loud, intense game?

I'm not telling anyone how to raise their kid... I just don't understand the logic.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

SC-RAZOR

Quote from: HDale on August 28, 2007, 12:58:15 pm

Why don't you leave junior at home and take him to the park on Sunday? Not very many F-Bombs are slung around at the park.

I wish the UofA would designate an area for you 2% who insist on all of us adhereing to your code of ethics.
Now that you mention it, I hate soccer :puke:

Anon2

The kind of stander-upper I dislike is the one that stands up immediately when the ball is snapped on every play no matter which team has the ball.  Stands up, doesn't yell or clap, then sits back down until the next snap.

Vandyhog4

I don't have a dog in the fight because I'm not a father, nor do I plan on being one anytime soon; however, I can assure you that it's not just parents who dislike this type of behavior, most people at the game do not enjoy it.  You have every right to speak freely, but please try to be courteous and cognizant of the fact that there are others around you.  As grotesque as they are, people who behave in this manner are actually helpful tools in raising children.  Parents point at them and tell their kids, "Don't grow up and act like that." 

As for those who question bringing children to games, I can assure you that they enjoy it.  Some of my earliest and fondest memories are from games in Fayetteville and Little Rock at the age of 5 or 6.  That is how the next generation of Razorback fans is reared.  By no means do you have to be a Saint. Yell as loud as your heart desires, I'm sure I'll be doing the same, but please, keep it clean and don't act like a jerk.

dianne fineswine

Don't boo anyone who is not getting paid for what they are doing.
Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

The Marmot

Quote from: dianne fineswine on August 28, 2007, 01:31:10 pm
Don't boo anyone who is not getting paid for what they are doing.

The coaches and refs are getting paid. They are fair game.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

kitshicker

That is just the stupidest thing I have ever read. Believe it or not, there are adults who don't like hearing the f-bomb throughout the entire game. It shows lack of character to continue doing that when you know it offends alot of people.

eclipse

Quote from: kitshicker on August 28, 2007, 01:38:32 pm

That is just the stupidest thing I have ever read. Believe it or not, there are adults who don't like hearing the f-bomb throughout the entire game. It shows lack of character to continue doing that when you know it offends alot of people.

Agree.   He somehow thinks only adults(with no manners mind you) attend Hog games.  I have been going since I was about 5 or 6.  Not sure why he feels it is ok to sling F-bombs at a game regardless of who is around.  Have fun, cheer, get rowdy, scream and yell, stand do whatever, but have some respect for the people around you who don't want to have some jacka$$ using the F word all day because they are uneducated to the point of not being able to express themselves any other way.

The UnderHog

9.  When leaving the game in your car, let one person out.  For those of you that don't do this, quit being a jerk.  For those of you that let everyone out, you're making the people behind you mad.

I agree, if everyone would let one car go, things would work well........additions:

100. If someone allows your car out ahead of them please acknowledge them with a tip of the hat, a nod or a wave of thanks. They didn't have to let you out but did so out of courtesy.

101. If someone driving a car allows you to walk in front of them, please acknowledge them with a wave and a thank you. If nothing else if you are able bodied, don't walk as slow as my granny getting across the street. At least make a little effort to move out of the way promptly.

McKdaddy

Quote from: eclipse on August 28, 2007, 01:43:53 pm

Agree.   He somehow thinks only adults(with no manners mind you) attend Hog games.  I have been going since I was about 5 or 6.  Not sure why he feels it is ok to sling F-bombs at a game regardless of who is around.  Have fun, cheer, get rowdy, scream and yell, stand do whatever, but have some respect for the people around you who don't want to have some jacka$$ using the F word all day because they are uneducated to the point of not being able to express themselves any other way.
My first season of games was in '78 (I was 5 and would turn 6 in October).  I don't remember much about those games, in fact next to nothing.  But my parents and grandparents tell me how much they enjoyed those early experiences and watching me call the Hogs.

H&D

Quote from: jethro on August 28, 2007, 11:40:14 am
DO NOT give anyone a reason to think lowly of our fans , team, or state in general.  At the Miracle on Markham I was there with some friends.  He is from La. and his small girls, age 6 and 4 at the time accompanied us dressed in mini cheerleader uniforms.  They got their pic taken with LSU  cheer team and even our cheerleaders said hi to them and shook hands and encouraged them to cheer when they got older for a school.  We WON that game and still people were yelling everything that could be yelled at them, and especially the young girls.  They were called sluts, [CENSORED], whores MF's etc.  even had a couple of beers thrown at the kids to try and mess up their clothes.  I do not care who you are.  IT is uncalled for and ruins the attractiveness of sports events for everyone.  Embarrassed me to be represented in anyone's eyes by that bunch of lowlife.

Nice rant.
\\\"Camp Sather 2003\\\"

HDale

What about your online name, Kitshicker?
I'm appauled! My five-year old may be online and want to ask me about that.

Agree.   He somehow thinks only adults(with no manners mind you) attend Hog games.  I have been going since I was about 5 or 6.  Not sure why he feels it is ok to sling F-bombs at a game regardless of who is around.  Have fun, cheer, get rowdy, scream and yell, stand do whatever, but have some respect for the people around you who don't want to have some jacka$$ using the F word all day because they are uneducated to the point of not being able to express themselves any other way.
I don't cuss, smoke or chew.
I also don't take my small children into a group of 70,000 adults and expect ALL of them to behave like adults.
You world savers kill me.

hogsanity

After actually reading much of this thread, the 2 main points of contention seem to be cursing and standing

1.  While it is probably your right to curse, why do you feel you have to?  Are you not able to get your point across ( as if those around you actually care what your point is ) without using curse words?  Will anyone be offended if you DO NOT curse? 

2.  I don't get the standing thing.  I completely understand jumping up on an exciting play/turnover, etc, but all the time? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

prhogs22

I AGREE ABOUT THE WAVE, ITS THE DUMBEST THING ANY CROWD CAN DO.

softserve

I hate authority, and to be told what to do.  But this is a reasonable list.

Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

The Marmot

Quote from: hogsanity on August 28, 2007, 01:58:05 pm

2.  I don't get the standing thing.  I completely understand jumping up on an exciting play/turnover, etc, but all the time? 

I've learned over the years that people stand the whole time at games because:

A. They think thats what "real" and "true" and "dedicated" fans do.

B. They want to piss others behind them off.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

opozone12

Quote from: prhogs22 on August 28, 2007, 01:58:59 pm

I think it is pretty sweet. Has to be done at the right time though. Has to be a blowout game towards the 4th quarter, or else you're missing game action. Gives you a reason to watch the whole game.

opozone12

Quote from: The Marmot on August 28, 2007, 02:02:01 pm

C. When making noise from the mouth, you get deeper breaths thus louder yells if you are standing up

Michaelt

I dunno; I enjoyed going to games with my father when I was a lad; after the games we could get on the field and bounce around on the astroturf...lol.

But that was a different time; adults of that generation had a common courtesy to others, most adults would even watch for kids who weren't theirs, just enjoying the time as well because they remembered when they were kids too...and the cussin, well it just wasn't much a part of things then...again, it was a different time and the adults then, a majority of them, respected others and didn't feel like they were being robbed of their first amendment rights to hold back on the language around women and kids.

Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

eclipse

Quote from: HDale on August 28, 2007, 01:56:55 pm
I also don't take my small children into a group of 70,000 adults and expect ALL of them to behave like adults.

If you don't do these things, why defend those that do with your "designate an area for the 2%"comment??  By the way, I would bet more than 2% of the crowd don't want to hear the F word during the game.

LOL at not wanting myself or my child to hear people screaming the F word making me a "world saver".  Standards must be low in your neck of the woods.

hogsanity

Quote from: opozone12 on August 28, 2007, 02:03:29 pm

C. When making noise from the mouth, you get deeper breaths thus louder yells if you are standing up

So thats why you stand and blick the view of the 85 year old who has been to every game for 50+ years, or at his first game, but can not AND SHOULD NOT have tos tand the whole time to see.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

McKdaddy

Quote from: opozone12 on August 28, 2007, 02:02:40 pm
Quote from: prhogs22 on August 28, 2007, 01:58:59 pm

I think it is pretty sweet.  Gives you a reason to watch the whole game.
Wow, is all I can say.

vbtj

I agree with the cursing leave it at home.   It's simply called respect for other people and their kids.   As far as standing I don't sit down at home when the games are televised much less in the stadium. 

kitshicker

There is a BIG difference between my username and slinging the f-bomb around. But i will change it, if it truly offends you or anyone else.

softserve

Baton Rouge is consistently the worst sporting experience that can be had IMO.  I never want anyone to feel like that here.  I had to fight my way out of a bar in Shrevepit once, because some one overheard me and my best friend(an LSU grad) discussing the hogs.  It was the OFFSEASON for Christ's sake!
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

The Marmot

When I yell, I stand, however I don't yell the entire game either. I do like to have the occasional conversation with people around me, and I see no purpose in yelling at anyone during the timeouts.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

HDale

Quote from: eclipse on August 28, 2007, 02:04:35 pm

If you don't do these things, why defend those that do with your "designate an area for the 2%"comment??  By the way, I would bet more than 2% of the crowd don't want to hear the F word during the game.

LOL at not wanting myself or my child to hear people screaming the F word making me a "world saver".  Standards must be low in your neck of the woods.
If you CHOOSE to expose YOUR children to 70,000 adults (some intoxicated) that is your right.
The 2% remark was aimed straight at YOU.

eclipse

Quote from: hogsanity on August 28, 2007, 02:05:25 pm

So thats why you stand and blick the view of the 85 year old who has been to every game for 50+ years, or at his first game, but can not AND SHOULD NOT have tos tand the whole time to see.

I would guess he stands because he wants to cheer the team in his own way(with half the stadium doing the same).  If the old people want to sit the whole time they have choices to do so.  Get indoor seats, get front of section seating, get Hog heaven seats.  People whining about others standing can do things to make sure they are not behind them at games.

HDale

Quote from: kitshicker on August 28, 2007, 02:07:48 pm

There is a BIG difference between my username and slinging the f-bomb around. But i will change it, if it truly offends you or anyone else.
It doesn't offend me. (I'm not a world saver)
I just thought that it was ironic how you were chastising everyone for vulgarity when your username is Kitshicker.

eclipse

Quote from: HDale on August 28, 2007, 02:12:19 pm
Quote from: eclipse on August 28, 2007, 02:04:35 pm

If you CHOOSE to expose YOUR children to 70,000 adults (some intoxicated) that is your right.
The 2% remark was aimed straight at YOU.

Amazingly, my comment went right over your head(or through it).  Good luck getting a grip on reading comprehension in the future.

hogsanity

Quote from: eclipse on August 28, 2007, 02:12:49 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on August 28, 2007, 02:05:25 pm

I would guess he stands because he wants to cheer the team in his own way(with half the stadium doing the same).  If the old people want to sit the whole time they have choices to do so.  Get indoor seats, get front of section seating, get Hog heaven seats.  People whining about others standing can do things to make sure they are not behind them at games.

I won't even bother buying anything other than upper deck seats, as close to the top as possible, to avoid this very thing.  Even then, 2 years ago at the South Car game, the 3 "fans" infront of me and my 7 year old stood the entire time.  Thing was, there were 4 rows empty infront of them. 

opozone12

Quote from: HDale on August 28, 2007, 02:15:46 pm
Quote from: kitshicker on August 28, 2007, 02:07:48 pm

It doesn't offend me. (I'm not a world saver)
I just thought that it was ironic how you were chastising everyone for vulgarity when your username is Kitshicker.

+1 for paying attention to details lol

Boardon Hamsay

I don't think too many people stand just to piss off the people behind them unless the people behind them kick them in the back repeatedly.  My guess is as people down front stand, the people behind them stand so they can see, and so on and so on.....chain reaction 101.  It just so happens that a lot of people now have been "trained" to stand so much that they remain standing, which apparently is the source of a lot of frustration.  Seems to me a lot of this "stand despite less than exciting play" debate really boils down to the before mentioned chain reaction and way fans have been "trained".
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

opozone12

Quote from: rlh06 on August 28, 2007, 02:25:38 pm

I don't think too many people stand just to piss off the people behind them unless the people behind them kick them in the back repeatedly.  My guess is as people down front stand, the people behind them stand so they can see, and so on and so on.....chain reaction 101.  It just so happens that a lot of people now have been "trained" to stand so much that they remain standing, which apparently is the source of a lot of frustration.  Seems to me a lot of this "stand despite less than exciting play" debate really boils down to the before mentioned chain reaction and way fans have been "trained".

that analysis is alittle too deep for this board.

The Marmot

Quote from: opozone12 on August 28, 2007, 02:27:46 pm

Yes it is. I've been going to games for 20 years and I've always enjoyed sitting and taking a break when the action is slow or its a timeout.

And I know for a fact that some people stand constantly just to piss those behind them off. By reading this thread, I gather some of those people probably posted in here.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

mattjonesjags

my dad took me to games when i was young and i loved it!! thats why kids go!! so they will grow up loving the hogs!! thats why kids are there and i say my fare share of f bombs but ive got enough respect not to say it in front of kids or elder people!!

HDale

The standing issue stems from the student section, they stand the entire game.

How many times have you seen the players asking the fans to stand? (every game)

Boardon Hamsay

August 28, 2007, 02:41:29 pm #193 Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 02:48:51 pm by rlh06
Quote from: opozone12 on August 28, 2007, 02:27:46 pm

Sorry I went over your head, maybe I should have gone with a theory like some people stand to feel younger, maybe taking a cue from the student section.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

BigArkyintheRock

Start the FIRE!! NUTT!! chant early and keep it going until the fat lady sings.

One side of the stadium yells...FIRE!!!!!

Then the other side yells, in response...NUTT!!!!!

Like our ARKANSAS------RAZORBACKS chant we do.

Get it?

FIRE!! ................. NUTT!!

No retreat!

WPS! :razorback:
And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

hawgslop00

I don't agree with the F-bombs being used, I don't want really to hear them, and I would feel pretty stupid if someones kid heard me drop one.  But on the other hand, you can't come to the game and expect your kid (kid not infant babies) not to see a drunk person or hear a cuss word.  As far as infants go, if you can't find someone to watch the baby stay at home and watch the baby yourself.  It is one of the most terrible experiences to go somewhere and listen to a baby cry four 4 hours, trust me I know.  All I ask is that people know what they are getting into.  People are going to bump into you, there will be drunk people there, there will be people who cuss there, don't be so shocked or act like you own the whole stadium and everyone better do what you say.  There are more people who drink and stand up throughout most of the game, than people who don't.  Everyone might not think that is the way it should be, but that is the way it is.

deltahogfan

Thanks for the comment. I thought I was going to have to literally beat the snot out of a drunk last year at the LSU game. I do not understand people that think because they are drinking it is OK to act like a total ass. If you can not hold your liquor,DON'T DRINK!
Quote from: hogrocker on August 27, 2007, 04:56:50 pm
My child doesn't live in a bubble.  I guarantee you that she's both seen drunk people and heard profanity.  I don't care if people are drunk at the game-I have been.  I just think screaming the f-word at the top of your lungs is only gonna really do three things:  1.  Cause my kid to ask me what it means:  2.  Make anyone who isn't from here think Arkansans have no class, just like they heard on TV, and 3.  Potentially get someone arrested.
Those who get there first with the most.

hog_heaven_2000

August 28, 2007, 03:26:31 pm #197 Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 03:30:53 pm by hog_heaven_2000
I have always thought of a football game as something you should take your kids to (by kids I mean 5 or 6 and up). A football stadium is not a bar. Sure there's a lot of drinking being done outside before the game (I do a lot of it myself), but that's no reason to make a complete fool out of yourself. We can have a good time while being respectful of others as well.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

hog_heaven_2000

Here's a picture of my nephew at the LSU game last year. I'm the big guy in the white shirt. You can see him over my right shoulder. When he got bored, he just laid his head down. He has always done just fine at games.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

PAHog

Standing also provides another essential benefit for attendees: when everyone around you is standing, you can sit and add the bourbon to your coke without worry of anyone seeing you.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!