Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If the Hogs go 4-4 or worse in the SEC this season...

Started by HognotinMemphis, August 23, 2007, 08:00:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawg_racer

Quote from: go hogues on August 23, 2007, 12:43:27 pm
Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:33:15 pm
Answer me this, why is it that NONE of the kids who transfered, went to Tulsa with Gus? That is a serious question I have. I mean, according to many people, and news agencies, they tried going to Tulsa, but they ended up going to other places. Why is that?
Because they got better offers at other places.

Why was MM turned down by Oklahoma and Louisville?

Feralhog

Quote from: go hogues on August 23, 2007, 12:28:19 pm
Quote from: Razorback Jedi on August 23, 2007, 12:25:40 pm
To be a coach in the SEC for more than 5-7 years you must do just enough to keep your job. If you don't do enough, you'll be fired. If you do too much, you'll leave the program for the NFL or a higher profile job. This is a fact that no one can dispute.
Some places that bar is higher than others...

At arkiesaw, the Crowe / Ford era is our watermark!
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

Feralhog

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:44:58 pm
Answer me this, why is it that NONE of the kids who transfered, went to Tulsa with Gus? That is a serious question I have. I mean, according to many people, and news agencies, they tried going to Tulsa, but they ended up going to other places. Why is that?

Maybe they believed the emails from DN and TP?  Wonder why Pete took him?  Afterall, that drive according to you guys, was against their scrubs.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

hawg_racer

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on August 23, 2007, 12:43:38 pm

My guess would be, that at first it seemed like the thing to do.  Kinda stick it to the UofA a bit and Houston Nutt.  Then the players realized that Tulsa isnt just a whole lot more of notch above UCA and realized they wanted more out of their talents then to end up at Tulsa.  Thats why 2 of them are at USC.  They feel like they could/can compete at that level.  I dont think they should have went to USC though.  MM should have went to UNC with Butch or Miami.  There is nothing wrong with Tulsa, but you dont see too many 4/5* recruits going there.

As for Gus, he could have done better, and will as time goes on.  He just wanted out and Tulsa was a good fit for him and his family i assume.  At Tulsa, Gus can run HIS offense and really prove himself either as a good college coach or a poor one.  He would not have gotten that chance at UofA.

So Gus will get to run his offense even though Tulsa's coach was on the Sports Animal  a few weeks ago saying they will be a "run first team because if he (Gus) runs the HUNH all game it will wear my defense down, and we do not have enough depth to run it."?

Also, look at how he did Major Applewhite as well, took all of the credit for the offensive scheme MA came up with, do you think Gus will go for that if he does the same with him?

DaForsaken

Yeah, bunch of suckers...went to a little ole school in California.  What were they thinking?

Oh, and where is Andrew Norman now?

How many times are you going to be wrong today?

hawg_racer

Quote from: Feralhog on August 23, 2007, 12:47:35 pm

Maybe they believed the emails from DN and TP?  Wonder why Pete took him?  Afterall, that drive according to you guys, was against their scrubs.

The drive was against the scrubs. They had the game won and didnt care, MM led th TD drive, then look what happened, the USC defense bucked up and picked him off on the next drive, that is how long it took them to figure him out.

Also, ever heard of coaches brining a kid in just to keep other teams from getting them? Bear Bryant was famous for doing that.

cbjagman

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on August 23, 2007, 08:00:33 am
I will directly place 100% of the blame on Houston Nutt for the following reasons:

1. Running off Malzahn by hiring a co-OC (Lee) without telling him and after Malzahn was named national OC of the year;
2. Running off Gatorade Player of the Year Mitch Mustain, particularly when the Hogs have no good QB returning and only 1 scholarship QB returning this year;
3. Hiring David Lee for the 3rd time, especially given that Lee has never proved very successful in any of his previous coaching endeavors;
4. Not firing Shibest, and worse, leaving him in charge of special teams after a multi-year debacle on special teams under Shibest's watch;
5. Running off our 2nd best WR, freshman Damian Williams, who is an intelligent and quality human being. Not the quality of person you want to run off your team;
6. Letting the top 2 seniors within the state last year sign with Auburn, a competitor in our own conference.

I'm sure there are more valid reasons but the above come to mind in the first 60 seconds of considering the issue.
IF your Sec record "plays out" then I think more and more will be diving off the Nutty Love Boat.

DaForsaken

Quote from: BILLYBOB on August 23, 2007, 12:44:32 pm

Maybe Gus is the jerk?  Maybe the spot light wasn't on him enough...maybe that's why he left?  I don't know.  Maybe he was a Prima Donna who expected to be treated in a certain fashion?  It is interesting that none of his players followed him.

I'll repeat:  They went to a little no name school in California.

AND

Norman is in Tulsa as we speak.

hawg_racer

Quote from: DaForsaken on August 23, 2007, 12:48:58 pm

Yeah, bunch of suckers...went to a little ole school in California.  What were they thinking?

Oh, and where is Andrew Norman now?

How many times are you going to be wrong today?

Andrew Norman is at Kansas now.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/breaking_news/story/233346.html

hawg_racer

Quote from: DaForsaken on August 23, 2007, 12:51:08 pm

Maybe Gus is the jerk?  Maybe the spot light wasn't on him enough...maybe that's why he left?  I don't know.  Maybe he was a Prima Donna who expected to be treated in a certain fashion?  It is interesting that none of his players followed him.

AND

And I'll repeat, Andrew Norman is at KANSAS, NOT TULSA

Arkansas receiver transfers to Kansas
By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH
The Kansas City Star

The Kansas football program has added another talent to its receiving corps of the future.

Former Arkansas receiver Andrew Norman has transferred to KU and has enrolled in fall classes. Norman, who redshirted last season with the Razorbacks, will have three years of eligibility remaining once he sits out a year at Kansas due to NCAA transfer rules.

Norman was a three-star recruit out of Springdale (Ark.) High School and was part of the heralded "Springdale Four" that included quarterback Mitch Mustain, wide receiver Damian Williams and tight end Ben Cleveland. Mustain and Williams both transferred to Southern Cal this offseason, leaving Cleveland as the only one of the four still at Arkansas.

KU recruited Norman, who stands 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds, heavily out of high school, but Norman chose to follow his high school coach, Gus Malzahn, to Arkansas. Malzahn left his post as Arkansas offensive coordinator this winter to take the same position at Tulsa, which explains why Norman had narrowed his school choices to KU and Tulsa.

Norman caught 63 passes for 1,189 yards and 11 touchdowns as a senior at Springdale. Rivals.com ranked Norman as the 49th-best wide receiver in the 2006 class, a higher ranking than any receiver on KU's roster received in their senior year of high school. He also was recruited by Louisville and Michigan State out of high school.

He'll join freshman receivers Dezmon Briscoe and John Wilson, who have already drawn rave reviews from Kansas coach Mark Mangino this fall.

PeytonManningSUCKS

umm, you do know where he's playing right now don't you? 

Feralhog

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:50:11 pm

The drive was against the scrubs. They had the game won and didnt care, MM led th TD drive, then look what happened, the USC defense bucked up and picked him off on the next drive, that is how long it took them to figure him out.

Also, ever heard of coaches brining a kid in just to keep other teams from getting them? Bear Bryant was famous for doing that.
If Mitch sucked, why would Pete care where he went?  And it's been pointed out numerous times on this board, the drive wasn't against scrubs.  How is it you are so offended by a kid quitting the team before the season was over yet can ignore the fact that Nutt lied to Gus and the Springdale recruits to save his job, then tosses them under the Bus when the first opportunity presented itself?

jrparrish

PeytonManningSUCKS

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:52:39 pm
Quote from: DaForsaken on August 23, 2007, 12:51:08 pm

AND

And I'll repeat, Andrew Norman is at KANSAS, NOT TULSA

Arkansas receiver transfers to Kansas
By J. BRADY McCOLLOUGH
The Kansas City Star

The Kansas football program has added another talent to its receiving corps of the future.

Former Arkansas receiver Andrew Norman has transferred to KU and has enrolled in fall classes. Norman, who redshirted last season with the Razorbacks, will have three years of eligibility remaining once he sits out a year at Kansas due to NCAA transfer rules.

Norman was a three-star recruit out of Springdale (Ark.) High School and was part of the heralded "Springdale Four" that included quarterback Mitch Mustain, wide receiver Damian Williams and tight end Ben Cleveland. Mustain and Williams both transferred to Southern Cal this offseason, leaving Cleveland as the only one of the four still at Arkansas.

KU recruited Norman, who stands 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds, heavily out of high school, but Norman chose to follow his high school coach, Gus Malzahn, to Arkansas. Malzahn left his post as Arkansas offensive coordinator this winter to take the same position at Tulsa, which explains why Norman had narrowed his school choices to KU and Tulsa.

Norman caught 63 passes for 1,189 yards and 11 touchdowns as a senior at Springdale. Rivals.com ranked Norman as the 49th-best wide receiver in the 2006 class, a higher ranking than any receiver on KU's roster received in their senior year of high school. He also was recruited by Louisville and Michigan State out of high school.

He'll join freshman receivers Dezmon Briscoe and John Wilson, who have already drawn rave reviews from Kansas coach Mark Mangino this fall.

nope, he's at tulsa,... Yer story is a week and a half old an incorrect at the present time.  It was believed to be true a week and a half ago though.
http://www.fox23.com/sports/story.aspx?content_id=ca3761cb-777c-443b-8b9f-cdf9a33b94ac

Ugly Uncle

"we are going to turn Gus loose."

Did that happen?

OCOY (national, not just SEC) gets demoted?  HdN said that he didn't know who would call the plays, could be one or all three.  Then it comes out that HdN promised Lee he would have full control of the offense and be calling plays.

Lets see, you are honored as being the best at what you do on a national level.  Then your boss takes the credit, brings in a "has been" to take over all of your duties.

Plus, one of the reasons you won that award is because you adjusted to your inept leaders plan of attack, and still made it work (mostly), when you had been told you would be, "turned loose" to do your thing.

HdN is a  horrible leader.  He has a darkside that is darker than any "darksider" ever thought about having.

He is also a very poor coach.
Retired Radio Host

Emmet Ray

Unbelievable.

Racer, your link is from August 15.  Norman has since moved on to Tulsa.

Good grief, try to keep up.

hawg_racer

Quote from: Feralhog on August 23, 2007, 12:55:37 pm

If Mitch sucked, why would Pete care where he went?  And it's been pointed out numerous times on this board, the drive wasn't against scrubs.  How is it you are so offended by a kid quitting the team before the season was over yet can ignore the fact that Nutt lied to Gus and the Springdale recruits to save his job, then tosses them under the Bus when the first opportunity presented itself?

Gus sold out to get them boys just like Houston did. The drive was against scrubs. There were guys on the field who were not even listed on the depth chart, seen it on Tivo, looked it up with other posters of this board.

Like I said, coaches will sign kids just to keep others from getting them, the greatest coach ever did it all of the time.

hawg_racer

Quote from: Emmet Ray on August 23, 2007, 12:58:13 pm

Unbelievable.

So he left KU for TU? Why is Kansas saying he enrolled at Kansas then? BTW, the 21st was my BDay, and I had better things to do than follow some kid who will ride the pine for most of his college career.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:58:36 pm

Gus sold out to get them boys just like Houston did. The drive was against scrubs. There were guys on the field who were not even listed on the depth chart, seen it on Tivo, looked it up with other posters of this board.

Like I said, coaches will sign kids just to keep others from getting them, the greatest coach ever did it all of the time.

How many schollies were available to Bear back then?  Do you know that?

Pete Carrol has said that he would not take any player that he didn't believe would be an NFL player someday.

Amazing.  You truly amaze me.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 01:00:31 pm

Unbelievable.

So he left KU for TU? Why is Kansas saying he enrolled at Kansas then? BTW, the 21st was my BDay, and I had better things to do than follow some kid who will ride the pine for most of his college career.

So, you are admitting that you don't know what you are talking about?
Retired Radio Host

Pigmund Freud

It's amazing to me how some people will continually defend this 2nd rate, selfish coach who ran off more talent this past year than we've seen in a decade, because he didn't want to share the limelight. Then,  his camp tried to make it look  like their fault by revising history. I can't figure out the blindness to the faults of this mediocre, self-centered , job-preserving -at- the- expense- of -the -program loser . MM, Gus, DW and the rest went off to places that they will be developed and not stifled. They are so lucky to be away from the talent-killer.  Unfortunately, the program will remain middle of the road(like Frank apparently wants) as long as the medium talent bunch stays.

hawg_racer

Quote from: uglyuncle on August 23, 2007, 01:01:51 pm

Pete Carrol has said that he would not take any player that he didn't believe would be an NFL player someday.

So Bear Bryant was lying when he said he got some kids just to keep Auburn from getting them?

True, I believe that MM will make the NFL, USC has proven that the NFL will take their QB's even if they are back ups.

I think MM knew that as well when he went there, he can sure make more money selling Nike shoes than Addidas in the NFL.....

Emmet Ray

Unbelievable.

Yes, Norman left Kansas for Tulsa.  How hard is that for you to understand?  If you would quit reading news that's a week old, maybe you would know what's going on today.

hawg_racer

Quote from: uglyuncle on August 23, 2007, 01:02:36 pm

Unbelievable.

No, I am saying I was not aware he went to Tulsa. I rarely visit this board, and I have not seen the news on any other board that I visit, as far as I've seen on a few others, they are still talking about him going to Kansas.

hawg_racer

Quote from: Emmet Ray on August 23, 2007, 01:04:45 pm

Unbelievable.

Yes, Norman left Kansas for Tulsa.  How hard is that for you to understand?  If you would quit reading news that's a week old, maybe you would know what's going on today.

Sounds like a very unstable young man who does not know what he wants.

coach, my back hurts

August 23, 2007, 01:07:56 pm #75 Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 01:12:30 pm by coach, my back hurts
Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:48:34 pm

My guess would be, that at first it seemed like the thing to do.  Kinda stick it to the UofA a bit and Houston Nutt.  Then the players realized that Tulsa isnt just a whole lot more of notch above UCA and realized they wanted more out of their talents then to end up at Tulsa.  Thats why 2 of them are at USC.  They feel like they could/can compete at that level.  I dont think they should have went to USC though.  MM should have went to UNC with Butch or Miami.  There is nothing wrong with Tulsa, but you dont see too many 4/5* recruits going there.

As for Gus, he could have done better, and will as time goes on.  He just wanted out and Tulsa was a good fit for him and his family i assume.  At Tulsa, Gus can run HIS offense and really prove himself either as a good college coach or a poor one.  He would not have gotten that chance at UofA.

So Gus will get to run his offense even though Tulsa's coach was on the Sports Animal  a few weeks ago saying they will be a "run first team because if he (Gus) runs the HUNH all game it will wear my defense down, and we do not have enough depth to run it."?

Also, look at how he did Major Applewhite as well, took all of the credit for the offensive scheme MA came up with, do you think Gus will go for that if he does the same with him?

Why are the Springdale5 hatters so caught up on the HUNH?  The offense he runs is the spread.  The HUNH is just gimik to keep defenses off balance.  I NEVER believed for one second that when Gus was hired we would LITERALLY run "no huddle" 100% of the time.  That is just plain foolish.  I did however expect him to bring the philosophy of spreading the field by throwing the football to further open up bigger holes in the running game.  Virginia runs the spread also.....through RUNNING the football.  "Spreading" the field is a 100x's more important than implementing the HUNH.

Coach Pel wants to play a full court game.  Do you not think that when we play a fundamentally sound team that he wont have us back in a half court game if they repeadilly keep breaking the press for easy layups.

IMO, the HUNH wont work in college football if ran ALL THE TIME.  You are right, it will wear out your offense as well as your defense for not having enough rest.  However, the Spread is plenty successfull in college/pro football and that is what Gus runs with just a bit of twist to it.....called....the HUNH.

Oh, Springdale ran the football more than they passed.  Or about 50/50, or close to it.

Again, the HUHN isnt nearly as important as the spread offense.  Most teams that are successful in todays game run some variation of the spread.  Except for the Dallas Cowboys and Arkansas Razorbacks who like to line up in max protect and send 2WR's on 10yrd curl routes.  Thats gotta be hard to cover.  Oh, and dont we have Dallas Cowboys film man coaching our offense?  I dont know about ya'll, but i cant wait.  I'm ecstactic.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 01:04:02 pm

So Bear Bryant was lying when he said he got some kids just to keep Auburn from getting them?

True, I believe that MM will make the NFL, USC has proven that the NFL will take their QB's even if they are back ups.

I think MM knew that as well when he went there, he can sure make more money selling Nike shoes than Addidas in the NFL.....

Did I say Bear was lying?  Could you point that out to me?  I said, "how many schollies did Bear have available back then?"

I can't wait while you look it up.

(hint:  More than 25 a year and 85 total.)
Retired Radio Host

Feralhog

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 01:05:20 pm

Unbelievable.

No, I am saying I was not aware he went to Tulsa. I rarely visit this board, and I have not seen the news on any other board that I visit, as far as I've seen on a few others, they are still talking about him going to Kansas.

You're so full of crap.  We aren't talking about lying to a kid to get him to sign.  Nutt didn't want any part of Gus or the Springdale players.  He lied simply to save his own ass, to them AND the fans, then kicked them into the ditch at the first opportunity.

hawg_racer

Quote from: coach, my back hurts on August 23, 2007, 01:07:56 pm
Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:48:34 pm

Why are the Springdale5 hatters so caught up on the HUNH.  The offense he runs is the spread.  The HUNH is just gimik to keep defenses off balance.  I NEVER believed for one second that when Gus was hired we would LITERALLY run "no huddle" 100% of the time.  That is just plan foolish.  I did however expect him to bring the philosophy of spreading the field by throwing the football to further open up bigger holes in the running game.  Virginia runs the spread also.....through RUNNING the football.  "Spreading" the field is a 100x's more important than implementing the HUNH.

Coach Pel wants to play a full court game.  Do you not think that when we play a fundamentally sound team that he wont have us back in a half court game if they repeadilly keep breaking the press for easy layups.

IMO, the HUNH wont work in college football if ran ALL THE TIME.  You are right, it will wear out your offense as well as your defense for not having enough rest.  However, the Spread is plenty successfull in college/pro football and that is what Gus runs with just a bit of twist to it.....called....the HUNH.

Oh, Springdale ran the football more than they passed.  Or about 50/50, or close to it.

Again, the HUHN isnt nearly as important as the spread offense.  Most teams that are successful in todays game run some variation of the spread.  Except for the Dallas Cowboys and Arkansas Razorbacks who like to line up in max protect and send 2WR's on 10yrd curl routes.  Thats gotta be hard to cover.  Oh, and dont we have Dallas Cowboys film man coaching our offense?  I dont know about ya'll, but i cant wait.  I'm ecstactic.

I agree with everything you said, which is why I dont understand why people say they dont blame Gus for leaving, he didnt do anymore here than he did anywhere else, nor did he do anything less, he was just not the "Head Hog" in charge, so he went somewhere where he could be in charge, or at least have a better shot.

BILLYBOB

August 23, 2007, 01:11:57 pm #79 Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 01:13:51 pm by BILLYBOB

This is a stupid argument.  Pete C. took MM because he obviously thinks he has the tools to be a great college q-back.  The thing we don't know, and neither does Pete, is if MM is a head case.  We don't know what happened on The Hill becasue the people involved aren't talking.  For all we know, Mitch was a spoiled crybaby and Gus was a prima donna.  Or, on the other hand, maybe Nutt was an ego driven maniac who couldn't stand the spotlight falling on others.  The truth is probably somewhere in between.  The FACT is, you do not know what happened...neither do I.

But just like politicians, you're going to spin the facts to favor your agenda. 

Here are some indisputable facts:  Houston Nutt is the coach, he had a ten win season last year and was SEC coach of the year.  We have the best backfield in the nation, and fan interest is very high.  We're in good shape.  The past is the past.  It's time to either get onboard with the coach and the players or go support another program.

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

I will directly place 100% of the blame on Houston Nutt for the following reasons:

1. Running off Malzahn by hiring a co-OC (Lee) without telling him and after Malzahn was named national OC of the year;
2. Running off Gatorade Player of the Year Mitch Mustain, particularly when the Hogs have no good QB returning and only 1 scholarship QB returning this year;
3. Hiring David Lee for the 3rd time, especially given that Lee has never proved very successful in any of his previous coaching endeavors;
4. Not firing Shibest, and worse, leaving him in charge of special teams after a multi-year debacle on special teams under Shibest's watch;
5. Running off our 2nd best WR, freshman Damian Williams, who is an intelligent and quality human being. Not the quality of person you want to run off your team;
6. Letting the top 2 seniors within the state last year sign with Auburn, a competitor in our own conference.

I'm sure there are more valid reasons but the above come to mind in the first 60 seconds of considering the issue.
If the Hogs go 13-1 and lose the NC game you will lay the blame on Nutt for that one loss. If the Hogs go 14-0 you will lay 100% of the blame on Houston Nutt for the fact that we lost 4 games last year, your job isn't going as well as you'd like, and that you have to take a blue pill a few hours before you want to have a "special evening" with your lady friend.

Razorrected

These are facts, not blame.  I will agree with these facts whether we go 4-4 or 0-8!

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 01:05:47 pm

Unbelievable.

Yeah, I guess he just has a quick trigger when it comes to where he wants to go to college.

You are backing an inept coach, and attacking a kid to do so?  Talk about being unstable.
Retired Radio Host

hawg_racer

Quote from: Feralhog on August 23, 2007, 01:09:54 pm

Unbelievable.

You're so full of crap.  We aren't talking about lying to a kid to get him to sign.  Nutt didn't want any part of Gus or the Springdale players.  He lied simply to save his own ass, to them AND the fans, then kicked them into the ditch at the first opportunity.

Gus and Houston BOTH sold out to get the kids, if you cant see that, or admit that, you are blind and full of crap.

HDN did everything he could do to get Gus to get the kids. Gus did everything he could do to get the kids, the kids came, and they really didnt want to be here, that proved out in the end, and it bit everyone in the butt.

hawg_racer

Quote from: uglyuncle on August 23, 2007, 01:13:06 pm
Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 01:05:47 pm

Unbelievable.

Yeah, I guess he just has a quick trigger when it comes to where he wants to go to college.

You are backing an inept coach, and attacking a kid to do so?  Talk about being unstable.

Where did I ever say I back Houston? I'm just no blinded by hate that I dont see GM's history.

And a kid who commits to a school, leaves, commits to another, and a week later leaves for another school, that is instablity if Ive ever seen it.

BILLYBOB

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 01:13:22 pm
Quote from: Feralhog on August 23, 2007, 01:09:54 pm

Unbelievable.

Gus and Houston BOTH sold out to get the kids, if you cant see that, or admit that, you are blind and full of crap.

HDN did everything he could do to get Gus to get the kids. Gus did everything he could do to get the kids, the kids came, and they really didnt want to be here, that proved out in the end, and it bit everyone in the butt.

That is the most honest post in this thread.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: Karma on August 23, 2007, 01:12:05 pm

If the Hogs go 13-1 and lose the NC game you will lay the blame on Nutt for that one loss. If the Hogs go 14-0 you will lay 100% of the blame on Houston Nutt for the fact that we lost 4 games last year, your job isn't going as well as you'd like, and that you have to take a blue pill a few hours before you want to have a "special evening" with your lady friend.

Under the leadership of Hdn, we have lost to every SEC team at least once.  Since 98, only 4 other teams have done that:  Vandy, Ky, SC, and MSU.  Can I blame Nutt for that?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: BILLYBOB on August 23, 2007, 01:11:57 pm

This is a stupid argument.  Pete C. took MM because he obviously thinks he has the tools to be a great college q-back.  The thing we don't know, and neither does Pete, is if MM is a head case.  We don't know what happened on The Hill becasue the people involved aren't talking.  For all we know, Mitch was a spoiled crybaby and Gus was a prima donna.  Or, on the other hand, maybe Nutt was an ego driven maniac who couldn't stand the spotlight falling on others.  The truth is probably somewhere in between.  The FACT is, you do not know what happened...neither do I.

Here are some indisputable facts:  Houston Nutt is the coach, he had a ten win season last year and was SEC coach of the year.  We have the best backfield in the nation, and fan interest is very high.  We're in good shape.  The past is the past.  It's time to either get onboard with the coach and the players or go support another program.

This is what we know to be a fact:

HdN IS a head case.  He is insecure and arrogant.  He has never taken blame for anything going wrong, and takes the credit when ever he can for anything going right. 

We do know of his mistreatment of players in the past.  I do know the people close to the situation that said this is what happened again.  I know, it isn't first hand knowledge, but it is closer than what you are saying.

Gus did have Norman go with him to Tulsa.  I thought that was already addressed.  Also the fact that the other players went to a larger school.

It is true, they are still gone.  They aren't coming back.  However, the one that cost us 2-3 games a year is still here.  The one that barely paid attention to Kodi is still here.  The one that takes all the credit is still here.  The one that has split the fan base is still here.  The one that has a posse is still here.

I could go on and on.  Did I address enough for you?
Retired Radio Host

Jim Harris

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:28:29 pm
Quote from: Feralhog on August 23, 2007, 12:26:34 pm
Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:14:07 pm

Dicks passing stats and ratings were better than Mitch's, in lesser games, vs tougher teams.

Well hell, coach for life did good running the kid off!  Check me here spanky but at the time we played, wasn't Auburn ranked number 2?   

Auburn was over rated last season, and everyone knows it.

It might be time to recognize Tommy Tuberville for getting his talent to over achieve, at least last year's team did (and yes, they weren't up for overachieving against Arkansas, not with Florida coming up the next week). Overrate? Perhaps when they sat No. 2 in the country with a hurt quarterback, average running back and average receivers, and a new defensive coordinator who wasn't quite on the same page with the boss, himself a good defensive coordinator. But they did beat Florida at home and LSU at home (and lost to Arkansas at home and Georgia at home). They also beat Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl when UT and Arkansas were stumbling around losing to plodding Big 10 teams who weren't named Michigan or Ohio State.
Auburn had a schedule that certainly benefited them last year, and it won't this year. Also, you have to figure that that cloud of 2003 when the powers that be were trying to run Tuberville off had to hurt recruiting in the meantime, and that has cut into the talent level the past couple of seasons, dropping them from where Tub has built them up to by 2004.
You know, Tuberville is able to build his program mostly by recruiting from outside Alabama, which would seem more his base. Most of those Alabama guys go with the Tide. Tub still manages to build a solid program with a base that isn't as natural as some of the other SEC programs.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

While I'm not a "hugger" and wish it had worked out that we had Butch Davis as coach rather than Nutt, its some of the things in this post that (in my opinion) make the darksiders seem so unreasonable.  If Arkansas wins less than 8 games, its all Nutt's fault. If they win more than 8 games, its despite him and he gets no credit.  Gus was the OC of the year, but Nutt ran him off by not giving him enough control.  It goes on and on.  Some people will never like or support not regardless of what he does from here on out.  All of this arguing on this board about the "reasons" why Nutt is disliked or should be gone are futile as everyone (huggers and darksiders alike) start with a set of beliefs and shove every fact into that paradigm whether they fit or not.

9 days till kickoff.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: uglyuncle on August 23, 2007, 01:20:03 pm
Quote from: BILLYBOB on August 23, 2007, 01:11:57 pm

HdN IS a head case.  He is insecure and arrogant.  He has never taken blame for anything going wrong, and takes the credit when ever he can for anything going right. 

We do know of his mistreatment of players in the past.  I do know the people close to the situation that said this is what happened again.  I know, it isn't first hand knowledge, but it is closer than what you are saying.

Gus did have Norman go with him to Tulsa.  I thought that was already addressed.  Also the fact that the other players went to a larger school.

It is true, they are still gone.  They aren't coming back.  However, the one that cost us 2-3 games a year is still here.  The one that barely paid attention to Kodi is still here.  The one that takes all the credit is still here.  The one that has split the fan base is still here.  The one that has a posse is still here.

Actually, UU you didn't.  You left off Hdn's horrible record against the better SEC teams, Hdn's inability to develop a QB, Hdn's poor management of assistant coaches (running off good ones (joe), keeping inept ones or better yet, being forced to get rid of inept ones), no quality kickers...you left all of that out.  :)

hawg_racer

Quote from: drakehog on August 23, 2007, 01:24:31 pm

Dicks passing stats and ratings were better than Mitch's, in lesser games, vs tougher teams.

Well hell, coach for life did good running the kid off!  Check me here spanky but at the time we played, wasn't Auburn ranked number 2?   

It might be time to recognize Tommy Tuberville for getting his talent to over achieve, at least last year's team did (and yes, they weren't up for overachieving against Arkansas, not with Florida coming up the next week). Overrate? Perhaps when they sat No. 2 in the country with a hurt quarterback, average running back and average receivers, and a new defensive coordinator who wasn't quite on the same page with the boss, himself a good defensive coordinator. But they did beat Florida at home and LSU at home (and lost to Arkansas at home and Georgia at home). They also beat Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl when UT and Arkansas were stumbling around losing to plodding Big 10 teams who weren't named Michigan or Ohio State.
Auburn had a schedule that certainly benefited them last year, and it won't this year. Also, you have to figure that that cloud of 2003 when the powers that be were trying to run Tuberville off had to hurt recruiting in the meantime, and that has cut into the talent level the past couple of seasons, dropping them from where Tub has built them up to by 2004.
You know, Tuberville is able to build his program mostly by recruiting from outside Alabama, which would seem more his base. Most of those Alabama guys go with the Tide. Tub still manages to build a solid program with a base that isn't as natural as some of the other SEC programs.

I'm glad you pointed that out, I feel we are facing the same thing right now. People other than the coach hurting recruiting because they want him gone.

Mr. Porkleone

Regardless, I feel coach is gone after this season for 2 reasons:

1) Wins enough games to attract a school to offer him job, how much can a man and family take

2) Loses enough games and new AD wants fresh everything

Either can or will happen

Bacon The Saddle Again

Actually, everything that is in bold would be considered an opinion on standardized testing.

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 01:27:05 pm

I'm glad you pointed that out, I feel we are facing the same thing right now. People other than the coach hurting recruiting because they want him gone.

There is no comparison between Tubby and Nutt.  Tubby got some heat and he decided to bring in better assistants and let them do their job.  Nutt cannot and will not ever do that. 

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: Bacon The Saddle Again on August 23, 2007, 01:29:36 pm

Actually, everything that is in bold would be considered an opinion on standardized testing.

Here is a standardized question for you...How many times has an HDN led hog team beat an SEC that went on to finish at or above .500 in SEC play?

A) 8
B) 13
C) 18
D) 23

Bacon The Saddle Again

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on August 23, 2007, 01:34:42 pm

Here is a standardized question for you...How many times has an HDN led hog team beat an SEC that went on to finish at or above .500 in SEC play?

A) 8
B) 13
C) 18
D) 23

The question has grammatical problems, so they would throw it out of the pool of questions to be asked.  Beat an SEC and then what?

Hogginitall

Take all those "facts" out and it doesn't leave much.

DaForsaken

Actually, I think it is a fact that he barely paid attention to Kodi Burns.  That is what his dad said anyway.  Could it be also a fact that he does have a posse?  I'm thinking fact.

hawg_racer

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on August 23, 2007, 01:29:37 pm
Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 01:27:05 pm

There is no comparison between Tubby and Nutt.  Tubby got some heat and he decided to bring in better assistants and let them do their job.  Nutt cannot and will not ever do that. 

We'll see how this year pans out before we say he can not and will not do that.