Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If the Hogs go 4-4 or worse in the SEC this season...

Started by HognotinMemphis, August 23, 2007, 08:00:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

I will directly place 100% of the blame on Houston Nutt for the following reasons:

1. Running off Malzahn by hiring a co-OC (Lee) without telling him and after Malzahn was named national OC of the year;
2. Running off Gatorade Player of the Year Mitch Mustain, particularly when the Hogs have no good QB returning and only 1 scholarship QB returning this year;
3. Hiring David Lee for the 3rd time, especially given that Lee has never proved very successful in any of his previous coaching endeavors;
4. Not firing Shibest, and worse, leaving him in charge of special teams after a multi-year debacle on special teams under Shibest's watch;
5. Running off our 2nd best WR, freshman Damian Williams, who is an intelligent and quality human being. Not the quality of person you want to run off your team;
6. Letting the top 2 seniors within the state last year sign with Auburn, a competitor in our own conference.

I'm sure there are more valid reasons but the above come to mind in the first 60 seconds of considering the issue.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HOGWILD_F4I

Houston Nutt will get an extension.  He'll come out with a post-season press conference quoting:

"I'm really proud of our team.  We gave it all we had.  A few breaks here and a few breaks there, we could have been something really special."

Tripod1

Anything less than a BCS bowl is not acceptable for the fans.  Sure, the BOT will be happy with any bowl, not me.

kimjongsqUeAl

The head coach is the CEO of Razorback football.  He should be held responsible for the company's failure to produce (if any-I hope not).

We should be 7-1 or better in our conference. No less. No excuses.
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

McKdaddy

My hugger friends state that if DMW goes 4-4 in SEC play this year, that they would finally capitulate to the darkside and support his leaving.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

swinearefine

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on August 23, 2007, 08:00:33 am
I will directly place 100% of the blame on Houston Nutt for the following reasons:

1. Running off Malzahn by hiring a co-OC (Lee) without telling him and after Malzahn was named national OC of the year;
2. Running off Gatorade Player of the Year Mitch Mustain, particularly when the Hogs have no good QB returning and only 1 scholarship QB returning this year;
3. Hiring David Lee for the 3rd time, especially given that Lee has never proved very successful in any of his previous coaching endeavors;
4. Not firing Shibest, and worse, leaving him in charge of special teams after a multi-year debacle on special teams under Shibest's watch;
5. Running off our 2nd best WR, freshman Damian Williams, who is an intelligent and quality human being. Not the quality of person you want to run off your team;
6. Letting the top 2 seniors within the state last year sign with Auburn, a competitor in our own conference.

I'm sure there are more valid reasons but the above come to mind in the first 60 seconds of considering the issue.

And if he doesn't and is very successful who will you give the credit?

Emmet Ray

Within a couple of years, we will probably see three Arkansas kids starting at quarterback for USC, Michigan, and Auburn.

And an Arkansas running back looks to see significant playing time at USC this year as a freshman.

Hogginitall

Quote from: swinearefine on August 23, 2007, 08:54:34 am

It'll be kind of hard to give credit to all of the guys that left the program, but I'm sure they'll find a way.

bill_bakerDW

Quote from: HOGWILD_F4I on August 23, 2007, 08:30:43 am
Houston Nutt will get an extension.  He'll come out with a post-season press conference quoting:

"I'm really proud of our team.  We gave it all we had.  A few breaks here and a few breaks there, we could have been something really special."

He'll probably add in something about how the drama took away the focus...He'll blame the off-season turmoil and not his coaching ability for any downfall we might have.

junkyardhog

Mike Williams
'UA 03

Have had the handle junkyardhog since 2002(WP)

abraHAM_lincoln

Quote from: HOGWILD_F4I on August 23, 2007, 08:30:43 am

Exactly right...  Nutt is coaching to do enough to keep his job...and will coach to be able to claim Moral Victories..(Which seems to be of more value to the huggers than real ones)..

Unless we just fall apart...being average is enough for him to keep his job.  We are stuck with him.

BILLYBOB

That's fine to hold HDN accountable for his decisions.  But if we win the West AGAIN and have ANOTHER 10 win season, I hope you're prepared to admit that Nutt does know what he is doing.

Furthermore, it was not Nutt's decision for Mustain to transfer...Mustain made the decision to quit.  It was not Nutt's decision for Malzahn to quit, again that decision was made by Malzahn.  He did not run off Damian WIlliams, Damian made the decision to quit.  And he did recruit Burns and Ziebma, they elected to go elsewhere.

Every post I read of yours is apoplectic; you act like the sky is falling and Razorback football is in the crapper.  Pull you head out and take a look around:  We're coming off a 10 win season, we are the defending Western Champions, we have the best running back duo in the nation, our coach is defending SEC coach of the year, we're having a killer recruiting class, we put 4 -5 guys on the NFL last year, and the fan base is pumped and excited for the new season.  These are good times.

Quit your crying and bitching...Get behind the team and the coach or go support another program.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

hawg_racer

August 23, 2007, 10:43:08 am #12 Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:45:50 am by hawg_racer

Malzahn left Arkansas High and Dry for the SECOND time in his life. Many people dog Nutt for leaving to go to a different school with his tail tucked between his legs, Gus did it too, left Arkansas for Henderson

Quote2. Running off Gatorade Player of the Year Mitch Mustain, particularly when the Hogs have no good QB returning and only 1 scholarship QB returning this year;

Listening to MM himself, I say the fans ran him off more than anyone. He has stated in several interviews that the fans put too much pressure on him and expected too much (paraphrasing there)

Quote3. Hiring David Lee for the 3rd time, especially given that Lee has never proved very successful in any of his previous coaching endeavors;

I can go along with these two.

Quote5. Running off our 2nd best WR, freshman Damian Williams, who is an intelligent and quality human being. Not the quality of person you want to run off your team;

Damian QUIT on his team before the SECCG, not to mention, how was he the 2nd best when he was dropping balls that hit him in the hands?

Quote6. Letting the top 2 seniors within the state last year sign with Auburn, a competitor in our own conference.
If one of these was Herrings son, we all know that Adam wasn't going to any school that his dad coached at, per the agreement between them.

QuoteI'm sure there are more valid reasons but the above come to mind in the first 60 seconds of considering the issue.

Like someone else asked, will you give Nutt credit if he leads us to a SECCG Win and a BCS Bowl Win?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: BILLYBOB on August 23, 2007, 10:41:53 am

That's fine to hold HDN accountable for his decisions.  But if we win the West AGAIN and have ANOTHER 10 win season, I hope you're prepared to admit that Nutt does know what he is doing.

Furthermore, it was not Nutt's decision for Mustain to transfer...Mustain made the decision to quit.  It was not Nutt's decision for Malzahn to quit, again that decision was made by Malzahn.  He did not run off Damian WIlliams, Damian made the decision to quit.  And he did recruit Burns and Ziebma, they elected to go elsewhere.

Every post I read of yours is apoplectic; you act like the sky is falling and Razorback football is in the crapper.  Pull you head out and take a look around:  We're coming off a 10 win season, we are the defending Western Champions, we have the best running back duo in the nation, our coach is defending SEC coach of the year, we're having a killer recruiting class, we put 4 -5 guys on the NFL last year, and the fan base is pumped and excited for the new season.  These are good times.

Quit your crying and bitching...Get behind the team and the coach or go support another program.

Your 2nd paragraph makes you one of two things: either completely naive or completely stupid. Which is it?

And, I do support another program. Check my avatar.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 10:43:08 am

Malzahn left Arkansas High and Dry for the SECOND time in his life. Many people dog Nutt for leaving to go to a different school with his tail tucked between his legs, Gus did it too, left Arkansas for Henderson

Quote2. Running off Gatorade Player of the Year Mitch Mustain, particularly when the Hogs have no good QB returning and only 1 scholarship QB returning this year;

Listening to MM himself, I say the fans ran him off more than anyone. He has stated in several interviews that the fans put too much pressure on him and expected too much (paraphrasing there)

Quote3. Hiring David Lee for the 3rd time, especially given that Lee has never proved very successful in any of his previous coaching endeavors;

I can go along with these two.

Quote5. Running off our 2nd best WR, freshman Damian Williams, who is an intelligent and quality human being. Not the quality of person you want to run off your team;

Damian QUIT on his team before the SECCG, not to mention, how was he the 2nd best when he was dropping balls that hit him in the hands?

Quote6. Letting the top 2 seniors within the state last year sign with Auburn, a competitor in our own conference.
If one of these was Herrings son, we all know that Adam wasn't going to any school that his dad coached at, per the agreement between them.

QuoteI'm sure there are more valid reasons but the above come to mind in the first 60 seconds of considering the issue.

Like someone else asked, will you give Nutt credit if he leads us to a SECCG Win and a BCS Bowl Win?

Mustain got a Code Red by his teammates and was only a freshman. And, it was likely Nutt who told Olajabutu to do it. Not the way you treat a freshman who is trying to adapt to college life and college football. Thus, he was run off by his teammates and his coaches. No player has ever been run off by fans, regardless of what they may say in public.

Not  talking about Herring's son. He'll likely never be anything but a special teams player in Div 1-A, if that. I'm talking about Ziemba and Burns. Have you heard of them?

I'll give Nutt all the credit if he takes this team to a SECCG win and a BCS Bowl win. I'll also bet you any amount of money that Nutt will never do either if he's here another 25 years.

Feralhog

Who was that masked man wearing DW's uni against UF?
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Feralhog on August 23, 2007, 11:35:23 am

Further evidence that some of these so-called fans who like Nutt know very little about the team and it's personnel.

BILLYBOB

Quote from: MarkinMemphis on August 23, 2007, 11:28:21 am
Quote from: BILLYBOB on August 23, 2007, 10:41:53 am

Your 2nd paragraph makes you one of two things: either completely naive or completely stupid. Which is it?

And, I do support another program. Check my avatar.

OK, please tell me what I wrote in my "2nd paragraph" that is incorrect or false.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ~Charles Bukowski

artyhog

Further evidence some people don't get the fact that the season has not started.

DaForsaken

Billy,

Yeah, my niece's husband just up and left her.  He was selfish.  Should have stuck it out.

It shouldn't have mattered that she told him that she didn't love him anymore, that she hated him, that she talked down to him, then stopped talking to him at all.  I think that when she started seeing someone else (his replacement) her husband should have just accepted the co-husband title.

She did everything but throw his stuff out on the lawn.

Yeah, he should have stuck it out.  Instead the coward just left her.

I guess when you are lied to and mistreated, sometimes it is just better to walk away.  That is what Mitch, Damian and Gus did.

You are an idiot IF you don't realize that.  Notice, I didn't say you were an idiot.  Jury is still out on that.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: DaForsaken on August 23, 2007, 11:48:59 am
Billy,

Yeah, my niece's husband just up and left her.  He was selfish.  Should have stuck it out.

It shouldn't have mattered that she told him that she didn't love him anymore, that she hated him, that she talked down to him, then stopped talking to him at all.  I think that when she started seeing someone else (his replacement) her husband should have just accepted the co-husband title.

I guess when you are lied to and mistreated, sometimes it is just better to walk away.  That is what Mitch, Damian and Gus did.

You are an idiot IF you don't realize that.  Notice, I didn't say you were an idiot.  Jury is still out on that.

Thanks for the perfect answer to the naive Billy for me.

hawg_racer

Eh, I slipped on that one, nice catch, still, the point is that he QUIT.

Bacon The Saddle Again

Ok, I'm guess I'm considered a "hugger" because I don't think we should set fire to anything and everything Houston Nutt has ever touched. 

But....I can go with this.  If we don't do any better than .500 in the SEC with the talent we have, we've blown it.  Aside from major injury situations, this team should be able to hit up 6-2 in the SEC if we take care of business at home. 

But....there are a few problems with some of the logic in the reasons given by MIM

Ok, fair enough.  I won't get into semantics about being run off or leaving because he didn't get his way.  Malzahn had the potential to be one of the best offensive minds in the SEC.  Bad loss.

Again, semantics on whether or not he was run off or just didn't like not being held in higher esteem, but blaming it on this is a little since Casey was playing at a higher level than Mitch last year.  I know Mitch was 8-0 as a starter, but one of those wins was South Carolina which in all reality was Casey's win and Mitch got pulled in favor of Casey.  To say that Mitch would without question be better this and thus produce more wins, is a little bit speculative.
This is just wrong.  Stoerner, Matt Jones, Tony Romo have all given David Lee high remarks and each of these guys improved under Lee.

Quote4. Not firing Shibest, and worse, leaving him in charge of special teams after a multi-year debacle on special teams under Shibest's watch;
I agree to some degree.  Shibest's special teams are usually good at coverage (LSU and Florida game aside) and his returns are ho-hum unless Felix breaks one.
Again, semantics.  But he was a big loss.  Could have used him over the next three years.
Not sure a lot could have been done about them.  I hear Kodi didn't want to play behind Mitch for three years and big Lee's folks were Auburn grads so that had a sway.  But, I'm sure something could have been done.  I think more likely than anything was the fact that we had back to back losing seasons before that recruiting class.

Feralhog

Quote from: artyhog on August 23, 2007, 11:39:20 am
Further evidence some people don't get the fact that the season has not started.
Since coach for life began gesulating our sideline, If I had a dime every time someone used this phrase , compared to me, Nick Saban would look like a milk farmer.
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

hawg_racer

Billy,

Lied to and mistreated huh? So are you going to tell me Gus does not have a history of leaving places when things dont go his way?

Arkansas as a WR, left for Henderson

Benton for Shiloh, only after being there for 12 days

Arkansas for Tulsa

QuoteMalzahn's 12 days as Benton's coach

On February 5, 1999 the Benton School Board was called to a special meeting by Benton superintendent Frank "Corky" Chenault. The board was called to together to witness the hiring of a new athletic director, Ronnie Kerr, and to vote on the new Panther head coach.

From 1986 until December 1998, the Benton Panthers were coached by Dwight Fite. Fite had just came off a 6-4 season but missed the playoffs after the Panthers were upset by Little Rock McClellan.

Fite said he had wanted to resign for a few years, but finally decided that it was time to hang it up after the 1998 season. Fite ended his tenure with the most victories of any coach in Benton history with 80 wins, and 6 playoff victories.

At the meeting, Shiloh Christian's Gus Malzahn, 33, was unanimously approved as the Benton head coach.

Malzahn's seven year coaching career was highlighted by a 63-24 overall record as well as three state championship appearances.

Malzahn had coached Hughes into a playoff state final before moving on to Shiloh Christian, leading the team to a state title game in 1997 before winning it all a year later.

Malzahn said that he was encouraged by Kerr's hiring since they were both Henderson alumnus.

"I see all kinds of possibilities here (at Benton)," Malzahn told the Courier. "It seems the timing is right, and I see a great opportunity at Benton High School."

Malzahn promised to bring his no-huddle spread offense to Benton.

During his interview, Malzahn said it would be very hard for him to move from Northwest Arkansas. "I'm real close to a lot of people here, and I really like to get involved with the kids. It's going to be tough, but I'll be leaving (Shiloh) program in good hands."

Malzahn met the Benton players and assistant coaches on Monday, Feb. 8.

However, the honeymoon lasted only 12 days. On Wednesday, Feb. 17, Malzahn's wife, Kristi, released a prepared statement that told the Benton community that Malzahn has decided to back out of the coaching job.

"I feel that the Lord is calling my family to remain in Shiloh," Malzahn's statement read. "I apologize to the people of Benton, In no way is this decision a negative reflection upon the people, players or administration. This was strictly a personal decision."

Superintendent Chenault told the Courier that Malzahn had called then Benton High School Principal Dan Jordan at 3 p.m. to tell him he had changed his mind about taking over as Benton's head coach.

Malzahn was in Texas visiting his father, whom the family had just learned had a brain tumor. His wife Kristi told the Courier that her husband had been struggling with a "personal conflict" over the move to Benton for the past two weeks.

Reaction to Malzahn's decision to stay in Northwest Arkansas was met with disbelief and disappointment.

Jim Landers, the longtime voice of Panther's football told the Courier, "I was completely devastated.

"I was hopeful when the decision to hire Coach Malzahn was made. I felt like it was a breath of fresh air the program needed. I had the same excitement (with Malzahn) as Houston Dale Nutt when he was hired (as head coach of the Razorbacks)."

Rumors began to circulate that the real reason that Malzahn did not take the job was because of the infighting among the assistant coaches. Other rumors began to circulate that Malzahn felt that the coaching staff would stab him in the back.

Courier sports writer Johnny McMahan opined that it was a combination of circumstances that led to his decision to stay at Shiloh. McMahan wrote:

"Gus Malzahn was probably "giddy" from the winning the state AA championship last fall and thought he had accomplished everything at that level and needed to move up in the classification. He applied for the Benton job without knowing all the "negatives."

"His ear was filled by local fans giving unsolicited advice on how to do his job... he possibly detected a "cold chill" when he reportedly called a coaches meeting and when two coaches showed up he realized he might be walking into a "lion's den"; he may or may not have been allowed to choose any of his assistant coaches; Shiloh Christian probably offered him a raise in pay if he would reconsider.

And last but not least, the possibility of his father having a brain tumor got him thinking maybe "the Lord is trying tell me I'm making a mistake by coming to Benton." ... These arguments and importantly, his wife's input, leaning heavily on the last ones plus the realization that he would probably have to "shock" the system here in Benton (the good old boy system) to jump start the program in his image, was more than he had bargained for, at this time."

Whatever the reason, athletic director Ronnie Kerr says that the situation worked out best for everyone. "Coach Malzhan made the right choice for himself by staying in Springdale and we made the right choice with Marc Jones."

Whatever the reason, athletic director Ronnie Kerr says that the situation worked out best for everyone. "Coach Malzhan made the right choice for himself by staying in Springdale and we made the right choice with Marc Jones."

Jones was chosen after Malzahn.

Jones has led the Panthers to a record three consecutive conference championships.

--END

~GO FIGURE

http://www.bentoncourier.com/articles/2006/12/12/sports

The main thins Gus needs to realize is that there is a "Right of Passage" just like there is in the military, or any other organization. You dont just go in and take over, you have to PROVE yourself. They wanted to bring in some help, and because Gus is a guy who appears to be all about him, he bailed. Like I said, this was not the first time in history he has done such a thing. Gus found out he was going to be moved to a roll where he was going to have someone working with him, and bailed, to a job at a lesser school. Just like the Benton situation.

longtimeHogfan

It won't be to Nutt.  If we go beyond 8-4 it will be in spite of Nutt, not because of him.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

BILLYBOB

Billy,

I'm not saying you are an idiot either...but that is most certainly an idotic comparison.  Your niece and her husband took a vow in front of God to stay together for life...on the other hand, you and I are talking about football here.  Granted, Razorback football is important, but no one is making promises before God to never split-up.

Also, you don't really know how Mitch, Damian, or Gus were treated.  I don't either because  none of them have come out and told their story.  You choose to believe they were mnistreated because you don't like the current SEC Coach Of The Year.

Get over it, Mitch and Damian are gone and they ain't coming back.  If you hate Houston Nutt so badly, go support another program like crybaby Mark does.

hawg_racer

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on August 23, 2007, 12:05:17 pm

It won't be to Nutt.  If we go beyond 8-4 it will be in spite of Nutt, not because of him.

Kind of like going 8-0 dispite MM, not because of him. A Good line, the best backfield in the nation, a kicker with a bad day and a gust of wind made us 8-0 under him, not him.

DaForsaken

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:00:41 pm

1.  You were wrong when he "quit" (I know you just missed it)
2.  He didn't just quit.
3.  Coaches considered him the second best since he played opposite Monk.
4.  He also had the second most catches on the team.

0-4

You look like Dick's passing stats.

rzrbaxfan

Houston will do that himself.  He might not want to stretch his arm too much patting himself on the back so that he can still lead the band....which begs the question...what is "successful"?  Another Jan 1 bowl (but lose it)?  A winning conference record (but still 3rd in West)?  Beating the cupcakes, but losing to the big dogs?

hawg_racer

Quote from: DaForsaken on August 23, 2007, 12:08:04 pm
Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:00:41 pm

1.  You were wrong when he "quit" (I know you just missed it)
2.  He didn't just quit.
3.  Coaches considered him the second best since he played opposite Monk.
4.  He also had the second most catches on the team.

0-4

You look like Dick's passing stats.

DW DID just QUIT. He did so because he left BEFORE the season was over, that is quitting.

Dicks passing stats and ratings were better than Mitch's, in lesser games, vs tougher teams.

go hogues

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:05:05 pm

The main thins Gus needs to realize is that there is a "Right of Passage" just like there is in the military, or any other organization. You dont just go in and take over, you have to PROVE yourself. They wanted to bring in some help, and because Gus is a guy who appears to be all about him, he bailed. Like I said, this was not the first time in history he has done such a thing. Gus found out he was going to be moved to a roll where he was going to have someone working with him, and bailed, to a job at a lesser school. Just like the Benton situation.
Bull.
I think he did plenty to prove himself.
He was the OC of the year.
He took an offensive strategy developed by chimps and made it highly successful.
He created beautiful trick plays and taught them so THAT THEY ACTUALLY WORKED.
He acknowledged that the strength of our program was the run but he wanted to get us into the 21st century with our passing game.
His players liked him.
He will now go on to turn a Tulsa team into a C-USA power.
He will go on to become a great OC or HC in the near future.

Now, how did he not prove himself? 
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

DaForsaken

Quote from: BILLYBOB on August 23, 2007, 12:06:19 pm
Billy,

I'm not saying you are an idiot either...but that is most certainly an idotic comparison.  Your niece and her husband took a vow in front of God to stay together for life...on the other hand, you and I are talking about football here.  Granted, Razorback football is important, but no one is making promises before God to never split-up.

Also, you don't really know how Mitch, Damian, or Gus were treated.  I don't either because  none of them have come out and told their story.  You choose to believe they were mnistreated because you don't like the current SEC Coach Of The Year.

Get over it, Mitch and Damian are gone and they ain't coming back.  If you hate Houston Nutt so badly, go support another program like crybaby Mark does.

The Jury is back.

hawg_racer

Quote from: go hogues on August 23, 2007, 12:18:14 pm
Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:05:05 pm

Bull.
I think he did plenty to prove himself.
He was the OC of the year.
He took an offensive strategy developed by chimps and made it highly successful.
He created beautiful trick plays and taught them so THAT THEY ACTUALLY WORKED.
He acknowledged that the strength of our program was the run but he wanted to get us into the 21st century with our passing game.
His players liked him.
He will now go on to turn a Tulsa team into a C-USA power.
He will go on to become a great OC or HC in the near future.

Now, how did he not prove himself? 

Gus came to Arkansas and wanted everything to be about HIM. That was proven when he left as soon as he found out Lee was being brought in, much like he left Benton when he found out things were not going to go his way there, and much like he left Arkansas when he wasnt going to be the stud receiver in college.

In every case, he has left for a smaller school where he will appear to be great, and people will worship him.

Not to mention, everyone complained about our WR corp, but who was the WR coach last season? GUS!

go hogues

Billy,

Billy,
He was making an analogy. Come on now, don't make HDN supporters look dumb.  ;)
Main Entry:   anal·o·gy
Pronunciation:   &-'na-l&-jE
Function:   noun
Inflected Form(s):   plural -gies
1 : inference that if two or more things agree with one another in some respects they will probably agree in others
2 a : resemblance in some particulars between things otherwise unlike : SIMILARITY b : comparison based on such resemblance
synonym see LIKENESS
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Razorback Jedi

To be a coach in the SEC for more than 5-7 years you must do just enough to keep your job. If you don't do enough, you'll be fired. If you do too much, you'll leave the program for the NFL or a higher profile job. This is a fact that no one can dispute.

Feralhog

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:14:07 pm

Dicks passing stats and ratings were better than Mitch's, in lesser games, vs tougher teams.

Well hell, coach for life did good running the kid off!  Check me here spanky but at the time we played, wasn't Auburn ranked number 2?   

go hogues

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:21:59 pm

Gus came to Arkansas and wanted everything to be about HIM. That was proven when he left as soon as he found out Lee was being brought in, much like he left Benton when he found out things were not going to go his way there, and much like he left Arkansas when he wasnt going to be the stud receiver in college.

Tell me one instance where he even implied he wanted things to be about him?
I would consider leaving somewhere too if I knew my job was going to be taken away.  That's a little thing called HUMAN NATURE.

go hogues

Quote from: Razorback Jedi on August 23, 2007, 12:25:40 pm
To be a coach in the SEC for more than 5-7 years you must do just enough to keep your job. If you don't do enough, you'll be fired. If you do too much, you'll leave the program for the NFL or a higher profile job. This is a fact that no one can dispute.
Some places that bar is higher than others...

hawg_racer

Quote from: Feralhog on August 23, 2007, 12:26:34 pm
Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:14:07 pm

Well hell, coach for life did good running the kid off!  Check me here spanky but at the time we played, wasn't Auburn ranked number 2?   

Auburn was over rated last season, and everyone knows it.

hawg_racer

Quote from: go hogues on August 23, 2007, 12:27:21 pm
Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:21:59 pm

Tell me one instance where he even implied he wanted things to be about him?
I would consider leaving somewhere too if I knew my job was going to be taken away.  That's a little thing called HUMAN NATURE.

He implied that when he left as soon as some competition showed up. Human Nature? No, far from it. If he is so confident in himself, he should have stuck around and PROVED he was better, instead, much like the 2 previously mentioned facts of him leaving Arkansas and Benton, he tucked tail and ran again to another school in a lesser conference where he will face lesser talent.

MJ2

Quote from: Emmet Ray on August 23, 2007, 08:57:00 am
Within a couple of years, we will probably see three Arkansas kids starting at quarterback for USC, Michigan, and Auburn.

And an Arkansas running back looks to see significant playing time at USC this year as a freshman.

Totally derpressing. But you're right.  Meanwhile we have a Tex reject for QB....

coach, my back hurts

August 23, 2007, 12:32:14 pm #42 Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:33:59 pm by coach, my back hurts
I dont think Gus should have left, but i cant blame him.  If Nutt did hire Lee before letting Malzahn know, that is a little cowardly.  However, Gus could have stuck it out for a few more yrs and maybe could have left to be a head coach somewhere or an OC at another institution.  Which i guess he did anyways, but i think he could have, in time, done himself better than Tulsa.  Kudos to him for having more pride in himself to not take a backseat to anyone.  Im indifferent on the situation.

IMO, with all the hype put on MM and Gus, they should have went elsewhere in the first place.  It seemed Mitch was doomed the day he decommited from UofA.  That pissed alot of ppl off including myself.  When he decided to come back on i was very happy again, but i'm sure alot of fans would have prefurred he went elsewhere at that point.  I, as well as alot of Hog fans and just citizens of Ark, get very propective of our University and our home state.  When i hear ppl talk about how sh!tty Ark is i tell them to get the hell out.  Its that simple.  When MM decided to decommit, i felt the same.  But.....had MM commited and stayed loyal to that committment throughout, the fan base wouldnt have been as divided on him and Casey at QB just as much as we are on Houston Nutt as coach.

hawg_racer

Answer me this, why is it that NONE of the kids who transfered, went to Tulsa with Gus? That is a serious question I have. I mean, according to many people, and news agencies, they tried going to Tulsa, but they ended up going to other places. Why is that?

BILLYBOB

August 23, 2007, 12:40:20 pm #44 Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 12:45:22 pm by BILLYBOB
Quote from: go hogues on August 23, 2007, 12:24:01 pm
Billy,

Billy,
He was making an analogy. Come on now, don't make HDN supporters look dumb.  ;)
Main Entry:   anal·o·gy
Pronunciation:   &-'na-l&-jE
Function:   noun
Inflected Form(s):   plural -gies
1 : inference that if two or more things agree with one another in some respects they will probably agree in others
2 a : resemblance in some particulars between things otherwise unlike : SIMILARITY b : comparison based on such resemblance
synonym see LIKENESS

It is a  stupid analogy.   S-T-U-P-I-D

PeytonManningSUCKS

Did someone steal your password and change your avatar and sigline?  cause that is obnoxious otherwise.    If not, why do you know so much about our team??

go hogues

Quote from: hawg_racer on August 23, 2007, 12:33:15 pm
Answer me this, why is it that NONE of the kids who transfered, went to Tulsa with Gus? That is a serious question I have. I mean, according to many people, and news agencies, they tried going to Tulsa, but they ended up going to other places. Why is that?
Because they got better offers at other places.

coach, my back hurts

My guess would be, that at first it seemed like the thing to do.  Kinda stick it to the UofA a bit and Houston Nutt.  Then the players realized that Tulsa isnt just a whole lot more of notch above UCA and realized they wanted more out of their talents then to end up at Tulsa.  Thats why 2 of them are at USC.  They feel like they could/can compete at that level.  I dont think they should have went to USC though.  MM should have went to UNC with Butch or Miami.  There is nothing wrong with Tulsa, but you dont see too many 4/5* recruits going there.

As for Gus, he could have done better, and will as time goes on.  He just wanted out and Tulsa was a good fit for him and his family i assume.  At Tulsa, Gus can run HIS offense and really prove himself either as a good college coach or a poor one.  He would not have gotten that chance at UofA.

Emmet Ray

Uh, one of them DID go to Tulsa.  He's there right now.

BILLYBOB

Maybe Gus is the jerk?  Maybe the spot light wasn't on him enough...maybe that's why he left?  I don't know.  Maybe he was a Prima Donna who expected to be treated in a certain fashion?  It is interesting that none of his players followed him.