Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All posts about Troy allegedly not being a cupcake GO HERE

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, August 21, 2007, 10:29:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sao Ming

Here's all you need to know.

Cummulative rushing stats for UA in 2006 were 5.9 ypc - 228.5 ypg.

USC:    27 for 130 - 4.8 ypc without DMac5 100%.  Then #6 in the polls
Bama:  31 for 172 - 5.5 ypc
Aub:    45 for 270 - 6.2 ypc  #2
SC:     50 for 267 - 5.3 ypc 
TEN:   45 for 259 - 5.8 ypc  # 13
LSU:    39 for 298 - 7.6 ypc  # 9
FLA:    35 for 132 - 3.8 ypc  # 4
WIS:   34 for 232 - 6.8 ypc  # 7

Even with a re-tooled OL, the guys we have moving up to fill the lost slots could play for any team in the Sunbelt. 

Troy was SEVENTH of 8 Sunbelt teams in Total Defense in 2006.  Theorize all you want to about returning 9 starters on D, but they were, again, SEVENTH of 8.

Game of two halfs.  Reserves play in the 3rd and 4th and we all cheer that they are.  The more rest for Bama, the better.

bearcathog

They lost to Arkansas State 33-26:

Gave up 233 yards on the ground.

Even rebuilding I think the Razorback O-Line is better the StAte's, I know our backs are better.

But somehow they held Fla. St. to 45 yards rushing??? How did that happen?

If they are fired up it could be a different game.
"Never Trust a Bunny" Wolf to Twitchy

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2007, 06:22:44 am
Quote from: arkhog9 on August 21, 2007, 10:36:44 pm
McFadden and Jones SHREDDED the best defense in the nation (LSU) and the best run defense in the nation (Florida) as well as tearing up Auburn's defense.  Troy's defense is nowhere near talented enough to stop those two guys.  Any lack of a passing game will not matter. 

Troy may score 20 or more points, but Arkansas puts up 40+ points.

Just sticking to the facts here, D-Mac and F-Jo combined for 41 rushes for 249 yards against Auburn, 37 for 324 against LSU, and 34 for 130 yards against Florida. They had a good day against Auburn, a great day against LSU and a less than stellar day against Florida. Take note for future games that even though they had perhaps their best game of the season against big time competition and their worst game, no matter how they performed, we still lost both games. It takes a team effort and a good game plan. I am not trying to use this to say that Troy is going to beat the Hogs, because that just is not going to happen. But with a sluggish early season performance, it can and probably will be, closer than we would like for it to be.

You can change that day against Auburn to a great day.  We only threw the ball 10 times (maybe only once in the second half).  They knew we were going to run every play and it did not matter.  That was our best rushing performance of the season.  Total domination.  I don't think that was the first time we've done that to Auburn either.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bearcathog on August 22, 2007, 09:21:29 am
They lost to Arkansas State 33-26:

Gave up 233 yards on the ground.

Even rebuilding I think the Razorback O-Line is better the StAte's, I know our backs are better.

But somehow they held Fla. St. to 45 yards rushing??? How did that happen?

If they are fired up it could be a different game.

There is no doubt that the overall quality of our players is higher then the overall quality of their players. But, with us replacing 3 of 5 offensive linemen and yet another somewhat different offensive scheme supposedly in the works, plus a weaker defense this year, particularly in the secondary, I expect this to be closer than anyone would like for the first 3 quarters. We struggle early and make some mistakes, but superiror talent and strength wins out and wear them down, pulling away in the late 3rd and 4th for a 34-20 win.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on August 22, 2007, 09:23:57 am
McFadden and Jones SHREDDED the best defense in the nation (LSU) and the best run defense in the nation (Florida) as well as tearing up Auburn's defense.  Troy's defense is nowhere near talented enough to stop those two guys.  Any lack of a passing game will not matter. 

Just sticking to the facts here, D-Mac and F-Jo combined for 41 rushes for 249 yards against Auburn, 37 for 324 against LSU, and 34 for 130 yards against Florida. They had a good day against Auburn, a great day against LSU and a less than stellar day against Florida. Take note for future games that even though they had perhaps their best game of the season against big time competition and their worst game, no matter how they performed, we still lost both games. It takes a team effort and a good game plan. I am not trying to use this to say that Troy is going to beat the Hogs, because that just is not going to happen. But with a sluggish early season performance, it can and probably will be, closer than we would like for it to be.

You can change that day against Auburn to a great day.  We only threw the ball 10 times (maybe only once in the second half).  They knew we were going to run every play and it did not matter.  That was our best rushing performance of the season.  Total domination.  I don't think that was the first time we've done that to Auburn either.

Well, in comparison to the other two, I still say, "good" not "great". You have your opinion and I have mine. As for them "knowing we were going to run"........how is that different from any other team we played last year, or any year for that matter?
Go Hogs Go!

HoopS

34-17 is what I had originally picked, and I guess I will stay with that.

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2007, 09:33:13 am

Well, in comparison to the other two, I still say, "good" not "great". You have your opinion and I have mine. As for them "knowing we were going to run"........how is that different from any other team we played last year, or any year for that matter?

Because there was not even a threat of a pass.  Even against LSU we threw it twice as many times.  We didn't complete many of them, but we attempted to pass.

Hogdomer

Quote from: BigC51 on August 21, 2007, 10:44:12 pm
This is also the same team that shocked #19 Missouri a couple of years ago.  They played nebraska close... for a half last year.  Guys I dont think we lose....

But bottom line we dont cover the spread.

They played Nebraska close?  They lost 56-0!  Although they did play Florida State very close and were competitive against Georgia Tech.

BartIV

I think Troy ranked #71 is like another Vandy that we played the last two years.  This QB may be some trouble and RB Sean Dawkins, both Seniors.
SI wrote,  "Troy has Omar Haugabook, he threw 17 interceptions against 21 TD''s while directing the trojans high octane offense as a junior.  But some believe his final three games, in which he threw for 8 Td's and was intercepted twice, were a better indication of what to expect this year."

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Junkyard Hog on August 22, 2007, 09:36:42 am

Because there was not even a threat of a pass.  Even against LSU we threw it twice as many times.  We didn't complete many of them, but we attempted to pass.

You are right, we attempted to throw twice as many times against LSU as we did against Auburn and with lesser results. Against Auburn, where MM was QB, he completed 7 out of 10(70% completion avg) passes for 87 yards and 1 TD. Against LSU where CD was the QB, we completed 5 of 20(25% completion avg) passes for 62 yards and 1 TD. Seems we should have thrown more or at least better against LSU. That would have been nice.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogdomer on August 22, 2007, 09:37:22 am
Quote from: BigC51 on August 21, 2007, 10:44:12 pm
This is also the same team that shocked #19 Missouri a couple of years ago.  They played nebraska close... for a half last year.  Guys I dont think we lose....

But bottom line we dont cover the spread.

They played Nebraska close?  They lost 56-0!  Although they did play Florida State very close and were competitive against Georgia Tech.

Naw, they didn't play Nebraska very close. It was 28-0 at halftime and Nebraska cruised scoring 14 points in each quarter. But, let's keep in mind that they also threw for 281 yards, 47% of their total yards in that game. I am wondering if our ladders are going to produce that kind of passing game with Monk out?
Go Hogs Go!

Junkyard Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2007, 09:49:51 am
Quote from: Junkyard Hog on August 22, 2007, 09:36:42 am

You are right, we attempted to throw twice as many times against LSU as we did against Auburn and with lesser results. Against Auburn, where MM was QB, he completed 7 out of 10(70% completion avg) passes for 87 yards and 1 TD. Against LSU where CD was the QB, we completed 5 of 20(25% completion avg) passes for 62 yards and 1 TD. Seems we should have thrown more or at least better against LSU. That would have been nice.

It definiteley would have been nice to throw the ball better against LSU.  If we could have, we would have won the game.  But I will argue that if you can't throw it better, then you should throw less, not more.

jst01

its both teams FIRST game.  What is easier to do on your first game?  run routes and pass the ball, or take a hand off and do what comes natural(run TD's).   add in the first game of year on OUR turf and there shouldnt be a fan in the stands with any doubt how this one will end. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jst01 on August 22, 2007, 10:15:03 am
its both teams FIRST game.  What is easier to do on your first game?  run routes and pass the ball, or take a hand off and do what comes natural(run TD's).   add in the first game of year on OUR turf and there shouldnt be a fan in the stands with any doubt how this one will end. 

We'll win, no doubt, but I am not expecting us to cover, especially since we have only covered the spread twice in the last 6 years against Sunbelt teams. We usually get a slow start. Not a crime or a sin, just how it is, we'll win we just won't blow them out like everyone wants.
Go Hogs Go!

jst01

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2007, 10:20:00 am
its both teams FIRST game.  What is easier to do on your first game?  run routes and pass the ball, or take a hand off and do what comes natural(run TD's).   add in the first game of year on OUR turf and there shouldnt be a fan in the stands with any doubt how this one will end. 

We'll win, no doubt, but I am not expecting us to cover, especially since we have only covered the spread twice in the last 6 years against Sunbelt teams. We usually get a slow start. Not a crime or a sin, just how it is, we'll win we just won't blow them out like everyone wants.

ok, we may not cover.  But I still think we will play most of the 2nd half with the 2nd team and still win this one.  And to me when you can play your 2nd team and beat another team, that is "winning easy". 

press ham

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 21, 2007, 10:29:38 pm
Well, you know, they may be, but then again, maybe they won't be. We all know who WE probably have starting but before I lay out the score, here's who THEY have starting.

OFFENSE
Offensive Line- Avg Ht: 6-4  Avg Wt: 311  4 Juniors, 1 Sophomore

QB-Hougabook- 6-2, 220  2,425 yards passing last year with a 56.9 completion percentage. Experienced, a Senior, a JC transfer who started for them last year.

RB-Cattouse- 5-10, 207  810 rushing yards last year with an avg per carry of 4.8 yds. 16 receptions for 98 yards last year.

WR- Avg Ht: About 6-0 Avg Wt: 182  2 Sophomores, 1 Junior

Averaged 320 yards per game total offense last year. T/O ratio: -.40 per game
Avg Scoring Per Game-21.25

DEFENSE
D-Line- Avg Ht: 6-4  Avg Wt: 261  3 Seniors, 1 Sophomore

LB's- Avg Ht: 6-0  Avg Wt: 225   2 Seniors, 1 Sophomore

DB's- Avg Ht: 6-0  Avg Wt: 199  2 Seniors at CB and 2 Juniors at SS and FS.

Rushing Yards Allowed-129.5 yds per game
Passing Yards Allowed-214.8 yds per game

Avg Scoring Allowed Per Game-22.67

Arkansas has a tough time getting going but wears them down late in the second half, pulling away for a 34-20 win.

And your opinions are????????????

their d-line is averaging 261lbs. that's too light. 44-10 hogs.

stevenwayneslane

Don't count on the offense putting up those kind of numbers. We won't have the same offensive mind standing on the sidelines this year. It will be tough.

silvertip

Quote from: wildhogman on August 21, 2007, 11:11:45 pm
Quote from: PigPusher on August 21, 2007, 11:02:15 pm
The problem also is we are perhaps going to see more fumbles on our side because our skilled guys are not getting hits. Damn the Nutt is smart.
Complain about not getting hit, and complain about getting Monk and Hillis hurt by hitting them. Nutt cant win on this one, so he might as well please himself.

Nutt might as well "please himself", because Ms DI impresses me as one to hold a grudge.

akp4105

44-17....but at halftime it will be much closer..around 20-14

silvertip

Quote from: press ham on August 22, 2007, 10:42:03 am
Well, you know, they may be, but then again, maybe they won't be. We all know who WE probably have starting but before I lay out the score, here's who THEY have starting.

OFFENSE

QB-Hougabook- 6-2, 220  2,425 yards passing last year with a 56.9 completion percentage. Experienced, a Senior, a JC transfer who started for them last year.

RB-Cattouse- 5-10, 207  810 rushing yards last year with an avg per carry of 4.8 yds. 16 receptions for 98 yards last year.

DEFENSE

Arkansas has a tough time getting going but wears them down late in the second half, pulling away for a 34-20 win.

That Dline weight average is deceiving, because they play a 3-4 and one of the DEs is a 6'5', 220 Soph who also spent a season at Hargrave.

At NT they have a 6'6', 290 JR, backed up by a 6'4", 280 JR who had 7 starts last years.

At the DT, a 6'5", 280lb JR, who was a JC All-American.

They also have a "Bandit" LB who is 6'4", 230 JR with 23 career starts.

Overall, their LBs are bigger than the Hogs, and the WLB is 6'3", 214 with 4.4 40 speed.

In the last 2 seasons, these guys have gone on the road to FSU (17-24), GA TECH, Nebraska, S. Carolina, and MO. In '04, they beat 19th ranked MO at home.

A dangerous team that runs the style of offense that gives the underdog a chance. Hogs better be ready.

H()G

Those do appear to be good #'s, but don't forget what conference they play in.   If they played in the GREAT SEC, I have a small hunch thier #'s would be a bit different.

Arkansas wins by 21 easy, and probably more. DMAC has 250+ and CD as 200+ with NO INT's and at least 1 TD.

H()G

Quote from: stevenwayneslane on August 22, 2007, 11:06:29 am

Don't count on the offense putting up those kind of numbers. We won't have the same offensive mind standing on the sidelines this year. It will be tough.

So you are saying Malzahn did call all the plays last season?

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 21, 2007, 11:44:44 pm
Quote from: VandyHog on August 21, 2007, 11:32:56 pm
Troy played Nebraska on the road after playing Florida State and Georgia Tech on the road. That's three road games in a row against Top 25 teams. Using that score is like using the Southern Cal score from last year to predict how Arkansas will do.

Then look at it this way.  The ONLY quality win Troy had last year was over Rice....RICE!  When the players knew their head coach was gone and probably poorly prepared.

Other than that look at the balance of their marquis wins:

Alabama State
Louisiana Monroe
North Texas
Louisiana Lafayette
Florida Atlantic
Middle Tennessee
Florida International

This cache of wins does not make Troy a top program by any means.  They ranked 53rd in rushing defense against a Sunbelt Conference schedule and lost the interior defensive line to graduation.  Sure they have a passing game but rarely is a passing game clicking until a game or two into the season. 

This is the logic and breakdown I use to predict a 28 point win. 

Bacon out...

Looks a lot like the Hogs' schedule...lots of familiar teams!  They also play several SEC teams, so they see comparable teams to UA; we may be in for a closer-than-expected game if we take them lightly...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ronnie.lambert

Bacon said it right. If Nebraska scored 56 on them then we should easily beat them. the ony reason they did so well last year was due to the crappy teams they were against.

TroyTrojan

August 22, 2007, 12:28:40 pm #74 Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 12:36:45 pm by TroyTrojan
Quote from: ronnie.lambert on August 22, 2007, 12:20:41 pm
Bacon said it right. If Nebraska scored 56 on them then we should easily beat them. the ony reason they did so well last year was due to the crappy teams they were against.

Bacon failed to mention we had ten injured players, most of them starters going into that game, and it was the third road game in a row after giving everything they had to FSU and GT.  This is the first game, you are not playing the same team that played Nebraska. Secondly, the Sunbelt is the worst conference in IA Football, thus when you hear that our defense was 7th out of 8 in the Sunbelt, people autoomatically assume 118th out of 119th in the nation, where it was actually 72nd in total defense. Expect the defense to be loads better this year as we have twice as much depth in the Defense than we had in 2006. The offensive line is coming together great according to head coach Larry Blakeney. Also, the first two games of the season weren't bad as far as the passing game goes. We beat ASU 38-0 and then lead FSU 17-10 in the 4th Quarter. For the 3rd game, we were tied with GT 17-17 in the 4th Quarter.

Hogs 35-21.

HoopS

Ronnie, maybe you and Bacon should make a little $$$ next weekend.

I love how everybody only looks at one game to determine the future.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: silvertip on August 22, 2007, 12:06:18 pm
Quote from: press ham on August 22, 2007, 10:42:03 am

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

That Dline weight average is deceiving, because they play a 3-4 and one of the DEs is a 6'5', 220 Soph who also spent a season at Hargrave.

At NT they have a 6'6', 290 JR, backed up by a 6'4", 280 JR who had 7 starts last years.

At the DT, a 6'5", 280lb JR, who was a JC All-American.

They also have a "Bandit" LB who is 6'4", 230 JR with 23 career starts.

Overall, their LBs are bigger than the Hogs, and the WLB is 6'3", 214 with 4.4 40 speed.

In the last 2 seasons, these guys have gone on the road to FSU (17-24), GA TECH, Nebraska, S. Carolina, and MO. In '04, they beat 19th ranked MO at home.

A dangerous team that runs the style of offense that gives the underdog a chance. Hogs better be ready.

Silvertip, normally you and I agree, but some of those heights you are getting....I took mine right off THEIR site and none of the starting backers on their depth chart were over 6-0 tall. Their depth chart doesn't indicate a 3-4 at all. It does list a NG and DT and 2 DE's, but that is still your basic 4 man front with overshifts. So, not to dispute you dude, but I did get these stats off their site directly, though they could be fudging as well.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jst01 on August 22, 2007, 10:29:01 am
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2007, 10:20:00 am

ok, we may not cover.  But I still think we will play most of the 2nd half with the 2nd team and still win this one.  And to me when you can play your 2nd team and beat another team, that is "winning easy". 

You are assuming that is how it is going to be, just as I assume that we will come out sluggish. IF the Hogs are ahead 28-0 at midway through the third qtr, you'll see a lot of reserves. If not, say it is 24-14, you won't see a reserve player the entire game.
Go Hogs Go!

VandyHog

Anyone who thinks Middle Tennessee is a crappy team hasn't played them up there. Take it from a Vandy fan who knows. Vandy lost to them on their field after beating Arkansas in Fayetteville. They were a bowl team last year and Troy came from behind to beat them.

I will say this again, Troy will make this a very tough game. They are a much better team than people here think. The Arkansas State game was a down day for them and the Nebraska and UAB games were played after they had beat themselves to pieces on the road against Florida State and Georgia Tech. They opened with four road games against larger opponents, three of them against top 25 opponents. They played very well against the first two but suffered a lot of injuries and wore themselves out. It showed by the time they made the long trip out to play Nebraska. I can tell you this, Arkansas (nor any other team I can think of) would want to open the season on the road against Florida State, Georgia Tech and Nebraska all in a row.

Idle bragging is one thing and that's fine. But Troy has a record of playing very well in early games on the road against major opponents. And they win somewhere around 20% of those games. The beat Marshall when Marshall was ranked. They beat Missouri when Missouri was ranked. They were leading Florida State late in the 4th Quarter last year. They had a 4th quarter lead on LSU a couple of seasons ago. Georgia Tech had to score 14 late points to get away from them last year. In their very first season as a D-1A team they came to play Arkansas in Fayetteville and, if I remember right, Arkansas was only able to score around 20 points on them. They hadn't even moved up to the Sunbelt then.

Troy is a team that went 8-1 after installing their new offense last year (the loss being the one to Arkansas State). They got better and better and better. Their offensive coordinator is the same guy who made Couch a star at Kentucky and who made the "air raid" offense dangerous up in the Bluegrass. He has credentials as a winner and if you look at the improvement in Troy's offensive production from 2005 to 2006, you will see that something is going on there.

As far as losing the starters on their line, I don't see this as a huge issue. Troy rotates players a lot more during games as a way of improving their second team and building depth. Most of the guys on their line have significant playing time.

I feel like Arkansas will win this game, but if they have a down day or if the secondary is as bad as some on here like to say, watch out. As much negative as has been said on Hogville about the coach, qb, passing game, secondary and injuries to our receivers, it amazes me to see people thinking this will be an easy blowout. Yes, without a doubt McFadden and Jones should be able to run on them. The question is, will Troy's QB be able to pass on the Hogs? We should know really fast on September 1st. I expect them to come in and play with heart and think it will be a good game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: VandyHog on August 22, 2007, 12:48:08 pm
Anyone who thinks Middle Tennessee is a crappy team hasn't played them up there. Take it from a Vandy fan who knows. Vandy lost to them on their field after beating Arkansas in Fayetteville. They were a bowl team last year and Troy came from behind to beat them.

I will say this again, Troy will make this a very tough game. They are a much better team than people here think. The Arkansas State game was a down day for them and the Nebraska and UAB games were played after they had beat themselves to pieces on the road against Florida State and Georgia Tech. They opened with four road games against larger opponents, three of them against top 25 opponents. They played very well against the first two but suffered a lot of injuries and wore themselves out. It showed by the time they made the long trip out to play Nebraska. I can tell you this, Arkansas (nor any other team I can think of) would want to open the season on the road against Florida State, Georgia Tech and Nebraska all in a row.

Idle bragging is one thing and that's fine. But Troy has a record of playing very well in early games on the road against major opponents. And they win somewhere around 20% of those games. The beat Marshall when Marshall was ranked. They beat Missouri when Missouri was ranked. They were leading Florida State late in the 4th Quarter last year. They had a 4th quarter lead on LSU a couple of seasons ago. Georgia Tech had to score 14 late points to get away from them last year. In their very first season as a D-1A team they came to play Arkansas in Fayetteville and, if I remember right, Arkansas was only able to score around 20 points on them. They hadn't even moved up to the Sunbelt then.

Troy is a team that went 8-1 after installing their new offense last year (the loss being the one to Arkansas State). They got better and better and better. Their offensive coordinator is the same guy who made Couch a star at Kentucky and who made the "air raid" offense dangerous up in the Bluegrass. He has credentials as a winner and if you look at the improvement in Troy's offensive production from 2005 to 2006, you will see that something is going on there.

As far as losing the starters on their line, I don't see this as a huge issue. Troy rotates players a lot more during games as a way of improving their second team and building depth. Most of the guys on their line have significant playing time.

I feel like Arkansas will win this game, but if they have a down day or if the secondary is as bad as some on here like to say, watch out. As much negative as has been said on Hogville about the coach, qb, passing game, secondary and injuries to our receivers, it amazes me to see people thinking this will be an easy blowout. Yes, without a doubt McFadden and Jones should be able to run on them. The question is, will Troy's QB be able to pass on the Hogs? We should know really fast on September 1st. I expect them to come in and play with heart and think it will be a good game.

I agree, I think it will be more difficult than we would like for it to be.
Go Hogs Go!

cosmodrum

August 22, 2007, 12:58:49 pm #80 Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:00:47 pm by cosmodrum
Quote from: humbucker311 on August 21, 2007, 10:40:49 pm
Quote from: FootballHog on August 21, 2007, 10:34:45 pm
They gave up more points than they scored last year, and they played in the freakin Sunbelt.

Yes, I think it will be easy.

Bingo

True, it is a Sunbelt team, no doubt about that and I am not saying that they are going to beat us. What I am saying is that our best WR is out, our Secondary is much less than it was last year and our O-Line is rebuilding. We usually don't fair too well in early season games....like Utah St. last year where though we had 457 yds of total offense, we only won 20-0. Yes, against "freakin" Utah State. It should have been much worse. Utah State only managed 249 yards of total offense. If they had any offense at all, it could have been closer. Still, we didn't cover the spread on that game, which was -28. In fact, in the last 6 years, we have only covered the spread against Sunbelt teams twice. Oh, we have won, just not covered the spread. I think this will not be the cakewalk that everyone is thinking it will be and not because Troy is so overwhelmingly underrated, but just because we tend to play poorly at the first of the season. Just my opinion.
[/quote]

Our 4-7 2004 squad smoked NM St in the season opener. That was pretty early in the season. That being said, Troy is a better team. It won't be a matter of what time in the season we're playing these guys. What will matter is not looking past these guys and having our heads out of our arses.

We simply have more talent than these guys. I'm sure they are the best...in the Sunbelt. So we SHOULD beat them handily. Again, if our heads are out of the aforementioned oriface, and if we take these guys seriously, we shouldn't have any real problems.
Go away, batin'

HoopS

I agree VandyHog. 

I hope we crush them, and at times I think we may manhandle them, but I get the sense people are overlooking a pretty good team.  It would almost be acceptable if we had a history of smoking teams like Troy...but a quick glimpse into the history books has a way of reminding us of loses to Vandy, UNLV, Kentucky, Minnesota, The Citadel....and a near lose just last year to Vandy.  Again I remind you all, we were inches away from being swept by Vandy...and who here seriously thought that was possible?  And our team last year was one of our best ever according to some.  We lost of best DE, Linebacker, Corner, Safety and KJack....among many others.

We are circled and they are barely noticed.

I think we are too much on most days, but I respect them enough to know we dangwell better show up.

Troy is a team made up of guys who many S.E.C schools considered.  Maybe they were an inch short, or an academic risk.  But they have some good players and an offensive scheme that will hurt some teams big time.

34-17 Hogs
Unless our players feel like a bunch of the posters here and then ???

deltahogfan

No doubt Troy is no push over. However, this will be one game where running the ball without any passing will work just fine. With D-Mac, Jones, Hillis and Smith, we will simply run all over them. Of course, if they pass as well as it seems, a lot of teams will get to see how weak our pass defense is.
Those who get there first with the most.

T-ROY

Hello Razorback fans
Making my first trip to Fayetteville,  Looking forward to coming home with a victory... It's going to be a tough game, I don't believe it will be a cakewalk for either team. Practices have looked good here in Troy.  Our O-Line may be without returning starters, but I do believe the offense and defense are both much improved over last years team..... and yes I do believe we will be able to stop the run.... I'm sure your running backs will put up some good yardage..... I just think our offense will put up more....  Look forward to seeing you.... Win or Win  I'm just ready for Football.!

press ham

August 22, 2007, 02:11:32 pm #84 Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:27:10 pm by press ham
Quote from: T-ROY on August 22, 2007, 02:04:13 pm
Hello Razorback fans
Making my first trip to Fayetteville,  Looking forward to coming home with a victory... It's going to be a tough game, I don't believe it will be a cakewalk for either team. Practices have looked good here in Troy.  Our O-Line may be without returning starters, but I do believe the offense and defense are both much improved over last years team..... and yes I do believe we will be able to stop the run.... I'm sure your running backs will put up some good yardage..... I just think our offense will put up more....  Look forward to seeing you.... Win or Win  I'm just ready for Football.!

good post, but how do guys plan on stoping our running game?

if troy stops our running game, nutt is fired on sunday and our season in over.

Hogs4Ever

We have a history of coming out sluggish and making mistakes our first game or two of the season.  I expect no less against Troy.  If we keep from giving Troy a short field and don't turn the ball over, we should win going away.  A lot of ifs and shoulds in that statement.  That's why you have to play the games no matter how they look on paper.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: press ham on August 22, 2007, 02:11:32 pm
Quote from: T-ROY on August 22, 2007, 02:04:13 pm
Hello Razorback fans

good post, but how do guys plan on stoping our running game?

if troy stops our runnig game, nutt is fired on sunday and our season in over.

If you think that we aren't going to run into anyone who can stop our running game this season, I am afraid you are going to be pretty disappointed. Everyone in every stadium we play in that has a helmet on is going to be keying on D-Mac and F-Jo and if our "ladders" system and 3 time re-tread, coach Lee, hasn't produced an effective passing game, we are going to experience some difficult moments this season. I thnk even the Nutt Lovers may be calling for his head by end of the Tennessee game.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: deltahogfan on August 22, 2007, 01:15:25 pm
No doubt Troy is no push over. However, this will be one game where running the ball without any passing will work just fine. With D-Mac, Jones, Hillis and Smith, we will simply run all over them. Of course, if they pass as well as it seems, a lot of teams will get to see how weak our pass defense is.

Gee, good thing those guys snap the ball, do the blocking up front, hand it off to themselves and run the ball...........otherwise, there might be other issues to be considered. I'm glad to know they do it all, I can relax now. :)
Go Hogs Go!

Oliver

Quote from: BigC51 on August 21, 2007, 10:31:04 pm

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

LB's- Avg Ht: 6-0  Avg Wt: 225   2 Seniors, 1 Sophomore

Just read Phil Steele's pages on Troy.  For those of you that dont know, Steele is money on just about everything.

Lets just say I'm not looking past this game for ONE SECOND.

I never overlook a game coached by HDN.  I remember going to the game where we had to pick off a Louisiana-Lafayette pass near the endzone in order to secure a win.

VandyHog

I hope you enjoy the visit out T-Roy. Arkansas is the most beautiful state in the Union and there is no place else like the stadium at sunset with the lights on, the crowd fired up and the sun going down over the mountains.  I've been to a lot of games in a lot of places (Notre Dame in South Bend, FSU in Tallahassee, the Iron Bowl, you name it), but I have to say that watching Arkansas play at home is an experience you will never forget. It is one of the greatest game experiences in college football.

rzrbaxfan

MuskogeeHogFan,  I like your posts.  You always state numbers and that is great.  I am working on one for you that is taking some time, but look for it in a few days.  It will be a complete break down of every SEC team's conference record since 98.  I've done Ark, LSU Bama and Aub so far and I plan on working on the rest some more tonight.  Some interesting trends are already starting to show.

To your original thread, I think it will be a bit like the opener a few years ago against that 1-AA Mizzou school.  Poor passing, closer at times than we would like, and in the end, we'll be handing the ball off to every running back on the squad trying to play keep away.  We will win, but it will be too close for comfort.  Troy will not be a pushover.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rzrbaxfan on August 22, 2007, 02:37:43 pm
MuskogeeHogFan,  I like your posts.  You always state numbers and that is great.  I am working on one for you that is taking some time, but look for it in a few days.  It will be a complete break down of every SEC team's conference record since 98.  I've done Ark, LSU Bama and Aub so far and I plan on working on the rest some more tonight.  Some interesting trends are already starting to show.

To your original thread, I think it will be a bit like the opener a few years ago against that 1-AA Mizzou school.  Poor passing, closer at times than we would like, and in the end, we'll be handing the ball off to every running back on the squad trying to play keep away.  We will win, but it will be too close for comfort.  Troy will not be a pushover.

I'll be watching for it. I love those stats and a good discussion of football.
Go Hogs Go!

The Max Swineberg 7

I remember when everyone was trying to tell us South Florida was a really good team and we better watch out for them. 

Yeah, Matt Jones put that baby to bed by halftime.  DMac will do the same with Troy.
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

NEAHawgfan

They gave up more points than they scored last year, and they played in the freakin Sunbelt.

THANK YOU!!! My God guys come on!!!!!!!! If we can't roll these guys it's gonna be a looooooooong year.

TroyTrojan

August 22, 2007, 03:20:19 pm #94 Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 03:22:01 pm by TroyTrojan
Quote from: NEAHawgfan on August 22, 2007, 03:00:01 pm

THANK YOU!!! My God guys come on!!!!!!!! If we can't roll these guys it's gonna be a looooooooong year.

Troy averaged 41ppg and allowed 17ppg. Tell me how we could have given up more points than we scored?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/teams/troy/

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: TroyTrojan on August 22, 2007, 03:20:19 pm

Troy averaged 41ppg and allowed 17ppg. Tell me how we could have given up more points than we scored?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/teams/troy/

The NCAA has you down as having scored an avg of 22.77 points per game, and allowing 22.23 per game.
Go Hogs Go!

PrepareforGlory

Coming from a fellow Troy fan here:

You do know that those scoring averages only represent one game versus Rice?

Smoke501

Quote from: BigC51 on August 21, 2007, 10:36:35 pm
Quote from: SteelShot on August 21, 2007, 10:32:11 pm
I say thats about right.  I dont think it will be a blowout like alot of people think. 

They have seniors at the skill positions...  They can score points and our defense is never really stellar the first few games.  To use freakin like another guy did in this topic...

UTAH FREAKIN STATE ran our guys up and down the field last year.  Yeah they didnt score, ask anyone that was there how our defense looked?

Our D looked like a Sun Belt D

MuskogeeHogFan

Well get ready for a long year.
Go Hogs Go!

hawgslop00

It depends on what team shows up for this game, whether or not we can cover the spread.  If we show up with the stomp #2 Auburn team or the only put up 21 on Utah State team.