Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All posts about Troy allegedly not being a cupcake GO HERE

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, August 21, 2007, 10:29:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2007, 03:45:33 pm
Quote from: NEAHawgfan on August 22, 2007, 03:00:01 pm
Quote from: FootballHog on August 21, 2007, 10:34:45 pm
They gave up more points than they scored last year, and they played in the freakin Sunbelt.

Yes, I think it will be easy.

THANK YOU!!! My God guys come on!!!!!!!! If we can't roll these guys it's gonna be a looooooooong year.

Well get ready for a long year.
I'm packing it in for a long year. However, I DO think it is likely that we will hang 45 on Troy. We're simply superior athletically. I'm not saying Troy's not a great team in their conference, I just think we SHOULD blow them out. It wouldn't surprise me if we didn't, but we should. If the Utah State Hogs show up, we should still win by at least two touchdowns. If the Auburn Hogs show up (not possible I realize at QB but still) we should win by 30 or more. Dmac and Felix should score two or three apiece by themselves against these guys. All I'm saying is that if you go into the season worried about the likes of Troy at home, how do you expect to even win eight games?

HoopS

And all we are saying is you better respect each and every opponent.   Particularily at a point in which we have some unanswered questions and are facing a giant killer.

Mark Lericos

Bacon your comments about losing to Nebraska that big don't relate. What you fail to mention is that Troy was coming off three straight games against FSU, Georgia Tech and then Nebraska, all ON THE ROAD. They were exhausted. They then came back and won the Sun Belt and demolished Rice.

So keep throwing out 56-0 likes that's what will happen and be an easy win. You'll be in for a shock. This team will be jacked first game of the year, SEC school, huge crowd. They have more to play for, and Arkansas is dropping down to play a lesser opponent. It's a trap.

Now, after playing Georgia, Florida and OKlahoma State, then Troy would be weak and get splattered b/c they don't have the numbers.

BTW... we talked to Troy coach Larry Blakeney about Arkansas... you can see his comments on 40/29 later this week.

hawaiianhogster

TroyTrojan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2007, 03:39:11 pm
Quote from: TroyTrojan on August 22, 2007, 03:20:19 pm
Quote from: NEAHawgfan on August 22, 2007, 03:00:01 pm
Quote from: FootballHog on August 21, 2007, 10:34:45 pm
They gave up more points than they scored last year, and they played in the freakin Sunbelt.

Yes, I think it will be easy.

THANK YOU!!! My God guys come on!!!!!!!! If we can't roll these guys it's gonna be a looooooooong year.

Troy averaged 41ppg and allowed 17ppg. Tell me how we could have given up more points than we scored?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/teams/troy/

The NCAA has you down as having scored an avg of 22.77 points per game, and allowing 22.23 per game.

You're right. I see what they did. I think SI accedentally used the score (Troy, 41-17) from the last game Troy played in (The New Orleans Bowl).

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: Smoke501 on August 22, 2007, 03:41:46 pm
Quote from: BigC51 on August 21, 2007, 10:36:35 pm
Quote from: SteelShot on August 21, 2007, 10:32:11 pm
I say thats about right.  I dont think it will be a blowout like alot of people think. 

They have seniors at the skill positions...  They can score points and our defense is never really stellar the first few games.  To use freakin like another guy did in this topic...

UTAH FREAKIN STATE ran our guys up and down the field last year.  Yeah they didnt score, ask anyone that was there how our defense looked?

Our D looked like a Sun Belt D

Don't forget 2 years ago when Mizzou St went into the 4th qtr down by only 11 and their starting QB finished with nearly twice the 88 yards that our QB passed for.  That final score was not a true representation of how poorly we played.

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: HoopSlap on August 22, 2007, 05:11:32 pm
And all we are saying is you better respect each and every opponent.   Particularily at a point in which we have some unanswered questions and are facing a giant killer.
Seriously, what Giants have they killed? I mean they played a weak FSU team to the gun last year but they did lose. They had one big win a couple years ago against somebody, but one win doesn't make them a Giant killer does it? It's not about a lack of respect for Troy. I just think we should expect a decent margin of victory. If it doesn't happen, then we can all bitch about how HDN screwed another one up. Either way we win!!!! Just kidding on the last part..........sort of.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Mark Lericos on August 22, 2007, 05:39:39 pm

Bacon your comments about losing to Nebraska that big don't relate. What you fail to mention is that Troy was coming off three straight games against FSU, Georgia Tech and then Nebraska, all ON THE ROAD. They were exhausted. They then came back and won the Sun Belt and demolished Rice.

So keep throwing out 56-0 likes that's what will happen and be an easy win. You'll be in for a shock. This team will be jacked first game of the year, SEC school, huge crowd. They have more to play for, and Arkansas is dropping down to play a lesser opponent. It's a trap.

Now, after playing Georgia, Florida and OKlahoma State, then Troy would be weak and get splattered b/c they don't have the numbers.

BTW... we talked to Troy coach Larry Blakeney about Arkansas... you can see his comments on 40/29 later this week.

Mark, in my opinion we handle this team by 4 touchdowns.  It's nothing more than my opinion and I stand by it.

I may be wrong, I often am.  We'll see after the game and I'll eat my crow if I am.

Bacon out...

HoopS

I hope we destroy them.  And we may.  I just believe the ones who are only looking at the Nebraska game need to consider a little more of the available info.   Anybody expecting 56-0 will be in for a rude awakening I'm afraid. 

Having played a little ball myself, I'd say Troy is right where they want to be.  We will need to play better than we did against Utah St and Mississippi St. 

Our fans can blow them off all we want, but the players better bring it or they will look up in the 4th Quarter and have some work to do.

They've won some games, but maybe giant killer isn't the right term...but then again, are we considered a giant anyway?

jry04

August 22, 2007, 07:01:42 pm #109 Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:09:16 pm by rsvl_hogfan4
Quote from: BigC51 on August 21, 2007, 10:36:35 pm
Quote from: SteelShot on August 21, 2007, 10:32:11 pm
I say thats about right.  I dont think it will be a blowout like alot of people think. 

They have seniors at the skill positions...  They can score points and our defense is never really stellar the first few games.  To use freakin like another guy did in this topic...

UTAH FREAKIN STATE ran our guys up and down the field last year.  Yeah they didnt score, ask anyone that was there how our defense looked?
Yet we shut out a team for the first time in years. I don't care who it was, we hadn't done it in years past so it was still good. We held USC til halftime but due to turnovers and lack of offense USC had good field position and didn't have to go far for points on their drives. Wasn't all our defens' fault considering everytime they got off the field they had to go right back out there. They were the ones keeping us in the game up til halftime but our offense couldn't capitalize.

Yes, Utah State got quite a few first downs on us, but we shut them out. I think our offense fumbled 2 times. I wouldn't really say our defense is what you have worried about early in the season. We only scored 21 on Vandy to win 21-19, 20 on Utah State to win 20-0, and 14 on USC...one coming in garbage time. Our offense was horrible in the USC game. Our offense really wasn't very good against Bama either. We just got a good break and scooped up a fumble and got lucky on the missed field goals and the miracle catch by Ben Cleveland in double coverage.

Troy won't be a 30-40 point blow out win like we usually have over most Sun Belt teams. However, it will still be a big win. Everyone is looking at their stats from last year. Keep in mind, those stats were made in what has been the worst conference for 3 or 4 years straight. We should win by at least 17-21 pts if not more.

Chris

That's all well and good Bacon, but we're talking about a team coached by Houston Nutt! He'll be the reason that this will be closer than it should be. No Monk, his boy Casey is struggling he'll rein it all in. Simplify the playbook, control the clock, play field position, punt on 3rd down, kick field goals. You know 1950's style....old school. Hang on for a 6 point win and then gush about how all wins are precious, so precious. 
Ready for the Hogs to take the next step.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Chris on August 22, 2007, 07:47:19 pm
That's all well and good Bacon, but we're talking about a team coached by Houston Nutt! He'll be the reason that this will be closer than it should be. No Monk, his boy Casey is struggling he'll rein it all in. Simplify the playbook, control the clock, play field position, punt on 3rd down, kick field goals. You know 1950's style....old school. Hang on for a 6 point win and then gush about how all wins are precious, so precious. 

We'll see.  Like I said, it's my opinion.  I think our running game will maul these guys.

Bacon out...

silvertip

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2007, 12:40:28 pm
Quote from: silvertip on August 22, 2007, 12:06:18 pm
Quote from: press ham on August 22, 2007, 10:42:03 am
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 21, 2007, 10:29:38 pm
Well, you know, they may be, but then again, maybe they won't be. We all know who WE probably have starting but before I lay out the score, here's who THEY have starting.

OFFENSE
Offensive Line- Avg Ht: 6-4  Avg Wt: 311  4 Juniors, 1 Sophomore

QB-Hougabook- 6-2, 220  2,425 yards passing last year with a 56.9 completion percentage. Experienced, a Senior, a JC transfer who started for them last year.

RB-Cattouse- 5-10, 207  810 rushing yards last year with an avg per carry of 4.8 yds. 16 receptions for 98 yards last year.

WR- Avg Ht: About 6-0 Avg Wt: 182  2 Sophomores, 1 Junior

Averaged 320 yards per game total offense last year. T/O ratio: -.40 per game
Avg Scoring Per Game-21.25

DEFENSE
D-Line- Avg Ht: 6-4  Avg Wt: 261  3 Seniors, 1 Sophomore

LB's- Avg Ht: 6-0  Avg Wt: 225   2 Seniors, 1 Sophomore

DB's- Avg Ht: 6-0  Avg Wt: 199  2 Seniors at CB and 2 Juniors at SS and FS.

Rushing Yards Allowed-129.5 yds per game
Passing Yards Allowed-214.8 yds per game

Avg Scoring Allowed Per Game-22.67

Arkansas has a tough time getting going but wears them down late in the second half, pulling away for a 34-20 win.

And your opinions are????????????

their d-line is averaging 261lbs. that's too light. 44-10 hogs.

That Dline weight average is deceiving, because they play a 3-4 and one of the DEs is a 6'5', 220 Soph who also spent a season at Hargrave.

At NT they have a 6'6', 290 JR, backed up by a 6'4", 280 JR who had 7 starts last years.

At the DT, a 6'5", 280lb JR, who was a JC All-American.

They also have a "Bandit" LB who is 6'4", 230 JR with 23 career starts.

Overall, their LBs are bigger than the Hogs, and the WLB is 6'3", 214 with 4.4 40 speed.

In the last 2 seasons, these guys have gone on the road to FSU (17-24), GA TECH, Nebraska, S. Carolina, and MO. In '04, they beat 19th ranked MO at home.

A dangerous team that runs the style of offense that gives the underdog a chance. Hogs better be ready.

Silvertip, normally you and I agree, but some of those heights you are getting....I took mine right off THEIR site and none of the starting backers on their depth chart were over 6-0 tall. Their depth chart doesn't indicate a 3-4 at all. It does list a NG and DT and 2 DE's, but that is still your basic 4 man front with overshifts. So, not to dispute you dude, but I did get these stats off their site directly, though they could be fudging as well.

I got mine from Phil Steele---meaning yours are probably more accurate.

UNLESS their web-site is as lame as Hogwired, which could mean you have LAST YEAR'S depth-chart?

I'll go check their site. Meanwhile, are you seeing a "Bandit" that is 6"4, 230lb? Kenny Mainor.

fordhog

GET REAL, Troy will not beat the Hogs, no matter how bad you hate HDN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Lericos

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 22, 2007, 06:44:40 pm

Mark, in my opinion we handle this team by 4 touchdowns.  It's nothing more than my opinion and I stand by it.

I may be wrong, I often am.  We'll see after the game and I'll eat my crow if I am.

Bacon out...

Actually 4 touchdowns, Troy still covers the point spread (is it still 29)... which is what I've been saying all along!  :)

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoopSlap on August 22, 2007, 06:46:51 pm
I hope we destroy them.  And we may.  I just believe the ones who are only looking at the Nebraska game need to consider a little more of the available info.   Anybody expecting 56-0 will be in for a rude awakening I'm afraid. 

Having played a little ball myself, I'd say Troy is right where they want to be.  We will need to play better than we did against Utah St and Mississippi St. 

Our fans can blow them off all we want, but the players better bring it or they will look up in the 4th Quarter and have some work to do.

They've won some games, but maybe giant killer isn't the right term...but then again, are we considered a giant anyway?

Bingo.........the key will be to come out and physically dominate them in the first half and again the first two series of the second. You do that, and then step on their throats and go for the jugular, and it will be over by halfway through the 3rd qtr. On the other hand, come out and stumble and bumble and be sluggish and let them hang around, and come the fourth qtr, no matter what anyone on here says, the Hogs could be fighting for their lives. It should not be that way, but often winds up that way when you let a team continue to just hang around.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mark Lericos on August 22, 2007, 09:19:09 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 22, 2007, 06:44:40 pm

Bacon out...

Actually 4 touchdowns, Troy still covers the point spread (is it still 29)... which is what I've been saying all along!  :)

34-20 dude, and I can eat crow as well, but I'll need a cold Corona to wash it down, thanks. :)
Go Hogs Go!

fordhog

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! Not even close no matter if we stumble or not. ;D

Qbackinman

I think they'll catch the Hogs by surprise early and it'll be close for well into the third.

Hogs prevail.

Nutt dissenters howl.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: fordhog on August 22, 2007, 09:30:09 pm
PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!! Not even close no matter if we stumble or not. ;D

I'm telling you, if you are a student of the game, never say never. We can't just roll our helmets out on the field and expect Troy to lay down.
Go Hogs Go!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 21, 2007, 11:02:00 pm
They can't stop the run.

Arkansas by 28.

Bacon out...

I bet they can if that is all they practice all week.

I predict an upset.  AND I HOPE for one..
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

press ham

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 22, 2007, 02:21:28 pm
Quote from: press ham on August 22, 2007, 02:11:32 pm
Quote from: T-ROY on August 22, 2007, 02:04:13 pm
Hello Razorback fans
Making my first trip to Fayetteville,  Looking forward to coming home with a victory... It's going to be a tough game, I don't believe it will be a cakewalk for either team. Practices have looked good here in Troy.  Our O-Line may be without returning starters, but I do believe the offense and defense are both much improved over last years team..... and yes I do believe we will be able to stop the run.... I'm sure your running backs will put up some good yardage..... I just think our offense will put up more....  Look forward to seeing you.... Win or Win  I'm just ready for Football.!

good post, but how do guys plan on stoping our running game?

if troy stops our runnig game, nutt is fired on sunday and our season in over.

If you think that we aren't going to run into anyone who can stop our running game this season, I am afraid you are going to be pretty disappointed. Everyone in every stadium we play in that has a helmet on is going to be keying on D-Mac and F-Jo and if our "ladders" system and 3 time re-tread, coach Lee, hasn't produced an effective passing game, we are going to experience some difficult moments this season. I thnk even the Nutt Lovers may be calling for his head by end of the Tennessee game.

not saying we can't be stopped, just if troy stops our run our season is over. sec defenses will kill us if that happened.

troy boy never answered the question of how/why he thought they could stop us.

VandyHog

I'll answer. Troy has a defense that is better than a couple of the SEC teams Arkansas plays (Ole Miss and Mississippi State come to mind).  Which probably explains why they beat Mississippi State every time they play them. They held Florida State to 35 yards on the ground in their first major game last year.  I think McFadden and Jones will have good games against them, but they around going to tear off 400 yards a piece or anything like that. Troy has a competent defense that will do ok.

whatsshakinbacon

Florida State was 7-6 last year and had the 103rd rushing attack in the country.  They averaged less than 100 yards per game on the ground.  Everybody is pointing to the Troy loss to FSU like it was a great triumph.  Not so fast my friends.

Bacon out...

Richard_white

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 22, 2007, 11:25:50 pm
Florida State was 7-6 last year and had the 103rd rushing attack in the country.  They averaged less than 100 yards per game on the ground.  Everybody is pointing to the Troy loss to FSU like it was a great triumph.  Not so fast my friends.

Bacon out...

Don't you know, moral victory.... ???

VandyHog

Bacon, you crack me up.  We'll see what happens on the 1st.

The Max Swineberg 7

Quote from: VandyHog on August 22, 2007, 11:16:56 pmWhich probably explains why they beat Mississippi State every time they play them.

Every time they play them?

They've beaten Mississippi State once and lost once.  But don't let the facts get in the way of your argument.

By the way, I think one of the reasons the Troy-FSU game was so close last year was that FSU had just beaten Miami in the season opener 13-10.  And they had a short week (just 5 days) to get ready for Troy, with Clemson to follow.  Miami, Troy, Clemson.  That is what is called a donut game.
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 22, 2007, 11:25:50 pm

Bacon out...

You are right Bacon, FSU averaged only 97 yards rushing per game last year. However, against Troy they only rushed for 45 yards while rushing for 102 against Clemson, 287 against Rice, 172 against Maryland, 117 against Virginia, and 105 against UCLA. What we haven't mentioned here is that they also threw for 336 yards against Troy and that was the only way they won. I'm not saying that Troy can completely shut down our running game, it is far too prolific. All I am submitting here for everyones consideration is the old adage of "on any given Saturday". We do not want to overlook an ambitious team and we certainly do not want to allow them to just keep hanging around in the second half. That spells trouble for teams that should normally be head and shoulders above the competition.
Go Hogs Go!

Hogginitall

Quote from: VandyHog on August 22, 2007, 11:16:56 pm
I'll answer. Troy has a defense that is better than a couple of the SEC teams Arkansas plays (Ole Miss and Mississippi State come to mind).  Which probably explains why they beat Mississippi State every time they play them. They held Florida State to 35 yards on the ground in their first major game last year.  I think McFadden and Jones will have good games against them, but they around going to tear off 400 yards a piece or anything like that. Troy has a competent defense that will do ok.

Sorry, but they do not have a better defense than ANY team from the SEC.  That's just not true.  And to all of you guys saying "we don't need to overlook any team", that's obvious.  I promise you that the players on the team won't be overlooking anyone in the first game of the season, especially since they have an open week after Troy.  WE can overlook anyone we want, just as long as the players on OUR team don't.  And they won't.

HoopS

To be clear, I expect us to win.  And we may kill them.  And maybe 28 isn't unreasonable.  But if we aren't sharp, they can keep it within the number...which has been mine and a few others main point.   I very seriously don't expect an upset, but for them to keep it close....way stranger things have happened.

Let's also be honest about our passing defense, South Carolina picked us apart.  And we lost our top Anderson, KJack, Butu, Simms, Houston, Vinnette, Johnson, and Kelly.   To face a team who likes to throw it around like Troy should be helpful.  The risk is getting into this game and not getting pressure on him, or we get caught in a blitze and they hit a long ball or 2. 

Will we lose?  I doubt it.  But this will give us an indication of things to come.

Look at Bama and then Kentucky, they will both have an experienced QB and some good receivers to challenge us.  Troy also has an experienced QB and receivers....and they improved late in the season.  A good passing attack can give a team fits.  It can also get a team blown out.  Remember the blowout of Boise a few years ago?   Now, go back to the first time we played them.  We had them beaten badly only to barely hang on late.  Also, when we blew them out, we knocked the QB out early. 

This game could go easily or it could be touch and go if things go well for them.   A factor that bodes well for us is that we are off the next week.   We will be ready to hit somebody other than teammates.  Surely the intensity will be there and they will not overlook Troy.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HoopSlap on August 23, 2007, 08:17:29 am
To be clear, I expect us to win.  And we may kill them.  And maybe 28 isn't unreasonable.  But if we aren't sharp, they can keep it within the number...which has been mine and a few others main point.   I very seriously don't expect an upset, but for them to keep it close....way stranger things have happened.

Let's also be honest about our passing defense, South Carolina picked us apart.  And we lost our top Anderson, KJack, Butu, Simms, Houston, Vinnette, Johnson, and Kelly.   To face a team who likes to throw it around like Troy should be helpful.  The risk is getting into this game and not getting pressure on him, or we get caught in a blitze and they hit a long ball or 2. 

Will we lose?  I doubt it.  But this will give us an indication of things to come.

Look at Bama and then Kentucky, they will both have an experienced QB and some good receivers to challenge us.  Troy also has an experienced QB and receivers....and they improved late in the season.  A good passing attack can give a team fits.  It can also get a team blown out.  Remember the blowout of Boise a few years ago?   Now, go back to the first time we played them.  We had them beaten badly only to barely hang on late.  Also, when we blew them out, we knocked the QB out early. 

This game could go easily or it could be touch and go if things go well for them.   A factor that bodes well for us is that we are off the next week.   We will be ready to hit somebody other than teammates.  Surely the intensity will be there and they will not overlook Troy.

Hoop, I agree that we will win.....perhaps in a close one because this may be viewed as nothing more than a scrimmage by our guys, or perhaps we will blow them out, but I think this scenario is not likely. Why? I said it before, I will say it again. Over the past 5 years we have played 10 Sunbelt caliber teams and have covered the spread only twice. Maybe this will be number three and that would certainly be preferred, but the odds are not in our favor. We just seem to have tendency to take these teams lightly and also have a tendency to be sluggish in the first game or two of a season. The important thing is that we win and I believe that is absolutely secure. Troy will not beat Arkansas, but I also believe that Arkansas will not cover the spread and perhaps this will give them an early wake up call.
Go Hogs Go!

tball275

I understand that Troy is a quality... rather decent opponent.  This won't be like playing Tenn-Chattanooga, however, I still think that the Hogs will run all over the Trojans, anytime they want.  We have too much speed, experience and quite frankly arrogance for them to keep it close.  I'm sorry.. i'm just not buying into the "close game".

Hogginitall

Quote from: tball275 on August 23, 2007, 08:39:03 am
I understand that Troy is a quality... rather decent opponent.  This won't be like playing Tenn-Chattanooga, however, I still think that the Hogs will run all over the Trojans, anytime they want.  We have too much speed, experience and quite frankly arrogance for them to keep it close.  I'm sorry.. i'm just not buying into the "close game".

They're considering a "close game" as covering the 28 point spread.  So, if we beat them 41-14, it will be considered a "close game".  I don't think we'll beat them by 40 or anything, but I'd say it will be somewhere between 17-30 points. 

BartIV

August 23, 2007, 08:48:55 am #133 Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 08:54:53 am by BartIV
How has Arkansas done in their first game of the season under Houston Nutt? anyone know? 
USC, which doesn't count because they are in a different league than us.

Mark Lericos

Well as far as stopping the running game, what's to keep Troy from stacking 9 or 10 in the box if Monk is out like we all expect him to be?  No dissrespect to London and the rest, but if I were Troy, I'd focus on Dmac and Felix and dare the Hogs to beat me downfield.

And in talking to some Troy alumni that know, believe me it's what they'll do.

Hogginitall

USC:  14-50 (L)
Missouri St:  49-17 (W)
New Mexico St:  63-13 (W)
Tulsa:  45-13 (W)
Boise St:  41-14 (W)
UNLV:  14-10 (W)
Missouri St:  38-0 (W)
SMU:  26-0 (W)
Louisiana-Lafayette:  38-17 (W)

BartIV

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 23, 2007, 08:53:34 am
USC:  14-50 (L)
Missouri St:  49-17 (W)
New Mexico St:  63-13 (W)
Tulsa:  45-13 (W)
Boise St:  41-14 (W)
UNLV:  14-10 (W)
Missouri St:  38-0 (W)
SMU:  26-0 (W)
Louisiana-Lafayette:  38-17 (W)
I think this is a good sign on how Arkansas will do against Troy.  Other than USC and a close one against UNLV, Arkansas has done really well against these no talent teams in the first game of the season.

Hogginitall

Quote from: Mark Lericos on August 23, 2007, 08:52:55 am

Well as far as stopping the running game, what's to keep Troy from stacking 9 or 10 in the box if Monk is out like we all expect him to be?  No dissrespect to London and the rest, but if I were Troy, I'd focus on Dmac and Felix and dare the Hogs to beat me downfield.

I don't care if they stack 88 in the box, they will not STOP our running game.  LSU put 8, 9, 10 in the box last year and look what happened.  And they are a MUCH MORE TALENTED defense than Troy.  I'm not worried about our offense getting their yards.  I think we'll even pass for a good amount of yards.  I'm worried about our defense.  Not necessarily in this game, but for the SEC games this year.  Hopefully, Herring will have our secondary in a good place come our game against Alabama.

I'm expecting heavy penetration from our DL against Troy.  Although their QB is good, I don't think he'll have sufficient time to find a receiver downfield.  If he does have time, there's no doubt in my mind they'll score some points through the air.  All in all, Troy will probably score a few points, but we'll score many more.

HOG RED UMP

does troy have enough firepower to seriously challenge our defense..........and will Reggie Herring be
able to use this 'challenge' as a motivational tool in the 2 week interim before Bama.........

"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

ronnie.lambert

i dont think they are a pushover. but its not even going to be close.

WizardofhOgZ

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2007/08/23/columns/harry_king/082307king.txt

I predicted Hogs 27 - 10 in June, and I see no reason to change that prediction now.  Those expecting them to roll over need to look at where they've been and the quality of athletes that they're beginning to get (DeMarcus Ware, anyone?).  We are better, but not by as much as most Hog fans want to believe.

We'll win - but it will be close enough to allow the coaches to keep the players' attention during off-week preparation for Alabama - and that's a good thing!

Conway Cool Daddy

"At the risk of sounding like a Houston Nutt apologist, ..............."

Too late Harry, you lost your objectiveness and credibility a long time ago.

kimjongsqUeAl

troy will be destroyed.  hey that rhymed....cool
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
- Thomas Jefferson

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge...
- God

Theolesnort

There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogginitall on August 23, 2007, 09:03:57 am
Quote from: Mark Lericos on August 23, 2007, 08:52:55 am

I don't care if they stack 88 in the box, they will not STOP our running game.  LSU put 8, 9, 10 in the box last year and look what happened.  And they are a MUCH MORE TALENTED defense than Troy.  I'm not worried about our offense getting their yards.  I think we'll even pass for a good amount of yards.  I'm worried about our defense.  Not necessarily in this game, but for the SEC games this year.  Hopefully, Herring will have our secondary in a good place come our game against Alabama.

I'm expecting heavy penetration from our DL against Troy.  Although their QB is good, I don't think he'll have sufficient time to find a receiver downfield.  If he does have time, there's no doubt in my mind they'll score some points through the air.  All in all, Troy will probably score a few points, but we'll score many more.

I don't disagree, but let's keep in mind that two of our four lowest rushing totals for the year last year were not against defensive stalwarts like USC or LSU, but against Ole Miss and Miss State(141 and 128 respectively). So, can our rushing game be limited? Obviously it can, and need I remind us all, that was with a O-Line that was senior and experienced. That is not the case this year. Don't misunderstand, I am not saying that Troy is going to "way-lay" us. All I am saying is that having a healthy respect for ones opponent is a good thing. If our team comes out echoing the sentiments and overwhelming self confidence of many on this board, that all we essentially need to do is show up and roll our helmets out on the field for Troy to roll over, then we may find ourselves in for a more difficult day than we anticipated. You never, ever take an opponent, regardless of who they are or who you perceive them to be, for granted. That is the kind of thing that leads to unanticipated upsets.
Go Hogs Go!

PolishPigPower

There is no way Troy beats us.  The Trojans employ a hurry-up, no huddle offense, and any old expert knows that won't work against an SEC team.  C'mon...    ;)
Quote from: Cooper on November 16, 2008, 10:35:46 pm
I might try my hand at some porn.

Quote from: Breems on May 02, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
Last post in the Tavern here.  See you guys.  Have fun.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: HOG RED UMP on August 23, 2007, 09:26:37 am
does troy have enough firepower to seriously challenge our defense..........and will Reggie Herring be
able to use this 'challenge' as a motivational tool in the 2 week interim before Bama.........

I think they have the firde power at the skill positions but a brand new offensive line.  Reggie's blitzing should cause alot of problems for them.