Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All posts about Troy allegedly not being a cupcake GO HERE

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, August 21, 2007, 10:29:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Well, you know, they may be, but then again, maybe they won't be. We all know who WE probably have starting but before I lay out the score, here's who THEY have starting.

OFFENSE
Offensive Line- Avg Ht: 6-4  Avg Wt: 311  4 Juniors, 1 Sophomore

QB-Hougabook- 6-2, 220  2,425 yards passing last year with a 56.9 completion percentage. Experienced, a Senior, a JC transfer who started for them last year.

RB-Cattouse- 5-10, 207  810 rushing yards last year with an avg per carry of 4.8 yds. 16 receptions for 98 yards last year.

WR- Avg Ht: About 6-0 Avg Wt: 182  2 Sophomores, 1 Junior

Averaged 320 yards per game total offense last year. T/O ratio: -.40 per game
Avg Scoring Per Game-21.25

DEFENSE
D-Line- Avg Ht: 6-4  Avg Wt: 261  3 Seniors, 1 Sophomore

LB's- Avg Ht: 6-0  Avg Wt: 225   2 Seniors, 1 Sophomore

DB's- Avg Ht: 6-0  Avg Wt: 199  2 Seniors at CB and 2 Juniors at SS and FS.

Rushing Yards Allowed-129.5 yds per game
Passing Yards Allowed-214.8 yds per game

Avg Scoring Allowed Per Game-22.67

Arkansas has a tough time getting going but wears them down late in the second half, pulling away for a 34-20 win.

And your opinions are????????????
Go Hogs Go!

_Collin1

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 21, 2007, 10:29:38 pm
Well, you know, they may be, but then again, maybe they won't be. We all know who WE probably have starting but before I lay out the score, here's who THEY have starting.

OFFENSE

QB-Hougabook- 6-2, 220  2,425 yards passing last year with a 56.9 completion percentage. Experienced, a Senior, a JC transfer who started for them last year.

RB-Cattouse- 5-10, 207  810 rushing yards last year with an avg per carry of 4.8 yds. 16 receptions for 98 yards last year.

DEFENSE

LB's- Avg Ht: 6-0  Avg Wt: 225   2 Seniors, 1 Sophomore

Arkansas has a tough time getting going but wears them down late in the second half, pulling away for a 34-20 win.

Just read Phil Steele's pages on Troy.  For those of you that dont know, Steele is money on just about everything.

Lets just say I'm not looking past this game for ONE SECOND.
Arkansas Alumni: Undergrad 2000, Graduate 2002
Voter: Heisman | Ray Guy | Biletnikoff
Action Network: https://www.actionnetwork.com/article/author/collin-wilson
The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/author/collin-wilson/

SteelShot

I say thats about right.  I dont think it will be a blowout like alot of people think. 
"Dorothy Mantooth is a Saint!"

FootballHog

They gave up more points than they scored last year, and they played in the freakin Sunbelt.

Yes, I think it will be easy.

_Collin1

Quote from: SteelShot on August 21, 2007, 10:32:11 pm
I say thats about right.  I dont think it will be a blowout like alot of people think. 

They have seniors at the skill positions...  They can score points and our defense is never really stellar the first few games.  To use freakin like another guy did in this topic...

UTAH FREAKIN STATE ran our guys up and down the field last year.  Yeah they didnt score, ask anyone that was there how our defense looked?

arkjay19

McFadden and Jones SHREDDED the best defense in the nation (LSU) and the best run defense in the nation (Florida) as well as tearing up Auburn's defense.  Troy's defense is nowhere near talented enough to stop those two guys.  Any lack of a passing game will not matter. 

Troy may score 20 or more points, but Arkansas puts up 40+ points.

WBChogfan

Quote from: arkhog9 on August 21, 2007, 10:36:44 pm
McFadden and Jones SHREDDED the best defense in the nation (LSU) and the best run defense in the nation (Florida) as well as tearing up Auburn's defense.  Troy's defense is nowhere near talented enough to stop those two guys.  Any lack of a passing game will not matter. 

I'd like to see Jones and Smith get a greater opportunity tear their defense to shreds.  I hope DMAC is "lightly used" for Troy, maybe 15-20 carries.

humbucker311

Quote from: FootballHog on August 21, 2007, 10:34:45 pm
They gave up more points than they scored last year, and they played in the freakin Sunbelt.

Bingo

_Collin1

Quote from: WBChogfan on August 21, 2007, 10:38:28 pm

I'd like to see Jones and Smith get a greater opportunity tear their defense to shreds.  I hope DMAC is "lightly used" for Troy, maybe 15-20 carries.

Screw that... with a bye week next, run DMAC and get started on those Heisman numbers.

silvertip

And it's interesting to check out Troy's OC who was KY's OC during the Tim Couch, Jared Lorenzen years.

You have to go down to the last few paragraphs---looks like he runs the HUNH!!

I think their QB was Player of the Year in their conference last year.

http://www.troytrojans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87292&SPID=10377&DB_OEM_ID=17200&ATCLID=937178&Q_SEASON=2007

The Max Swineberg 7

This is the Lou Holtz thing.  Build up your cupcakes so they look tough.  Look, Arkansas wins this game easy.  We should be 11-0 going into the LSU game.  We have an easy schedule and harmony in the coaching staff. 

Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

_Collin1

This is also the same team that shocked #19 Missouri a couple of years ago.  They played nebraska close... for a half last year.  Guys I dont think we lose....

But bottom line we dont cover the spread.

silvertip

Quote from: The Max Swineberg 7 on August 21, 2007, 10:43:14 pm
This is the Lou Holtz thing.  Build up your cupcakes so they look tough.  Look, Arkansas wins this game easy.  We should be 11-0 going into the LSU game.  We have an easy schedule and harmony in the coaching staff. 

LMAO!!  Good one!

VandyHog

And I'm sure the fans will be chanting calming mantras in the stands by the 11th game too.

silvertip

Hogs ran for 132yds on 35 carries vs Florida. Hardly shredding, in fact it sucked.

Styflin

Quote from: silvertip on August 21, 2007, 10:48:53 pm

LMAO!!  Good one!

yah the schedule this year is a joke!  11-0 is gonna be easy. I'm just glad we don't play Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee or South Carolina this year...wheww...

Richard_white

True about those games.  But I was just looking at the stats against Miss St, not impressed with it.

I'm not predicting a loss but I'm surley not going to say a blowout.

Junkyard Hog

RedSatinHog

Easy?  Please tell us how it's going to be easy to get thru this year's conference schedule unbeaten going into Baton Rouge.

Tennessee has a big chip on their shoulders after last season.

The same can be said of Auburn.

Alabama and South Carolina BOTH left the games with us believing they should have won.

Then there's the Kentucky game.  And the trip to Vaught-Hemingway to play Ole Miss which is due to beat us.

This season is going to be anything but easy.  We will sneak up on absolutely no one.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

whatsshakinbacon

They can't stop the run.

Arkansas by 28.

Bacon out...

PigPusher

The problem also is we are perhaps going to see more fumbles on our side because our skilled guys are not getting hits. Damn the Nutt is smart.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

wildhogman

Quote from: PigPusher on August 21, 2007, 11:02:15 pm
The problem also is we are perhaps going to see more fumbles on our side because our skilled guys are not getting hits. Damn the Nutt is smart.
Complain about not getting hit, and complain about getting Monk and Hillis hurt by hitting them. Nutt cant win on this one, so he might as well please himself.

whostolemyhogs

Study Troy's history. They get up for big games. They lost to Arkansas State but played the pants off Florida State.
Watch out for these guys.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: humbucker311 on August 21, 2007, 10:40:49 pm
Quote from: FootballHog on August 21, 2007, 10:34:45 pm

Bingo

True, it is a Sunbelt team, no doubt about that and I am not saying that they are going to beat us. What I am saying is that our best WR is out, our Secondary is much less than it was last year and our O-Line is rebuilding. We usually don't fair too well in early season games....like Utah St. last year where though we had 457 yds of total offense, we only won 20-0. Yes, against "freakin" Utah State. It should have been much worse. Utah State only managed 249 yards of total offense. If they had any offense at all, it could have been closer. Still, we didn't cover the spread on that game, which was -28. In fact, in the last 6 years, we have only covered the spread against Sunbelt teams twice. Oh, we have won, just not covered the spread. I think this will not be the cakewalk that everyone is thinking it will be and not because Troy is so overwhelmingly underrated, but just because we tend to play poorly at the first of the season. Just my opinion.
Go Hogs Go!

Bigmac

I din't see the heights listed for their ladders. This is beginning to worry me.  ;)

Bigmac

Oh and I think we will win but won't cover the spread. Remember HDN is still our coach and plays not to lose. So we will get up by a couple of TDs then it's tighten the cheeks.

Ex-Trumpet

Troy is playing just about as many SEC teams as we are this year--how about last year?  Last year's stats reflect their non-conference schedule?

BTW...they are "Trojans."  Our record for opening day against "Trojans" hasn't been great ;)
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Buck Brewer

Its still hard to reconcile the fact that this team lost to Ark St. and be taken seriously.

MuskogeeHogFan

August 21, 2007, 11:25:14 pm #28 Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 11:27:33 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on August 21, 2007, 11:22:34 pm
Troy is playing just about as many SEC teams as we are this year--how about last year?  Last year's stats reflect their non-conference schedule?

BTW...they are "Trojans."  Our record for opening day against "Trojans" hasn't been great ;)

Yes, those stats include non conference games from last year.
Go Hogs Go!

whatsshakinbacon

2006 - Nebraska 56, Troy ZERO.

Arkansas wins going away.

Bacon out...

JEM

Buck Brewer

Quote from: whostolemyhogs on August 21, 2007, 11:16:03 pm
Study Troy's history. They get up for big games. They lost to Arkansas State but played the pants off Florida State.
Watch out for these guys.

AsU almost beat Ole Miss two years ago. they still lost and they are still ASU. and SMU handed their ass to them the next year.

blue

Well, I think we will get outcoached 10 times  this year. DMac will save the day 5 times, too bad this will have to be one of them. Hogs win a close one in the opener, and get tuned at Bama.

shanewayne

Our guys are alott tougher when they are in an actual game. When you are lacodasical in practice or a scrimmage u dont go as hard. Thats when you get hurt. We will be ready for TROY. You can count on it. GO HOGS!!!
The decisions that you make today WILL affect you for the rest of your life.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JEM on August 21, 2007, 11:26:41 pm
The Razorbacks will win by 30. Go Hogs

I think we win, but not cover the spread, which will probably wind up being about 30.
Go Hogs Go!

Richard_white

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 21, 2007, 11:25:49 pm

Bacon out...

Isn't that like comparing Arkansas to USC?

Buck Brewer

Fla St. is but as weak as they have been in decades. I'd throw that out. Troy ain't no Southern Miss.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: Richard_white on August 21, 2007, 11:29:22 pm
Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 21, 2007, 11:25:49 pm

Bacon out...

Isn't that like comparing Arkansas to USC?

Dare to dream.

Bacon out...

VandyHog

Troy played Nebraska on the road after playing Florida State and Georgia Tech on the road. That's three road games in a row against Top 25 teams. Using that score is like using the Southern Cal score from last year to predict how Arkansas will do.

whatsshakinbacon

Quote from: VandyHog on August 21, 2007, 11:32:56 pm
Troy played Nebraska on the road after playing Florida State and Georgia Tech on the road. That's three road games in a row against Top 25 teams. Using that score is like using the Southern Cal score from last year to predict how Arkansas will do.

Then look at it this way.  The ONLY quality win Troy had last year was over Rice....RICE!  When the players knew their head coach was gone and probably poorly prepared.

Other than that look at the balance of their marquis wins:

Alabama State
Louisiana Monroe
North Texas
Louisiana Lafayette
Florida Atlantic
Middle Tennessee
Florida International

This cache of wins does not make Troy a top program by any means.  They ranked 53rd in rushing defense against a Sunbelt Conference schedule and lost the interior defensive line to graduation.  Sure they have a passing game but rarely is a passing game clicking until a game or two into the season. 

This is the logic and breakdown I use to predict a 28 point win. 

Bacon out...

HoosierDaddy

I didnt see them play last year, so I can only go by the scoreboard.

Yes, they did play FSU and GT tough.  But....

They got rolled up by Nebraska, and lost to UAB and ASU.

Single-digit wins over Louisiana-Monroe, North Texas, Florida Atlantic, and Middle TN.

Yes, it is possible they can give us a scare, especially being the first game of the year.  But their past resume isnt too impressive.
"Objective Thinking Lives Here"

whatsshakinbacon

One other thing people might want to look at.  Troy lost 4 of its 5 offensive linemen.  That's very difficult to handle early in the season.  Herring's aggressive defense may eat their lunch.  They could have all the skill players in the world coming back but if that line has some weaknesses (which is highly probable) then their offense can be easily shut down. 

Bacon out...

Chad In Real Life

Funniest thing Ive read all day, + 1
Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: whatsshakinbacon on August 21, 2007, 11:54:47 pm
One other thing people might want to look at.  Troy lost 4 of its 5 offensive linemen.  That's very difficult to handle early in the season.  Herring's aggressive defense may eat their lunch.  They could have all the skill players in the world coming back but if that line has some weaknesses (which is highly probable) then their offense can be easily shut down. 

Bacon out...

It's a good point and obviously there will be a difference in quality of players as well or these kids would be at a SEC school, but, you could also say the same thing for us as we had to replace 3 of our 5 offensive linemen, 2 of our 4 defensive linemen, 2 of our 3 LB's and 2 of our 4 DB's. Herring does produce an agressive, "attacking" style defense, but they have a tendency to come out a little less effective early and then get better more quickly after the first few games. I'm sure as you know, coaches will tell you that the defense always gels more quickly than the offense does, so if that is the case, I believe the Hogs will have a sluggish first game but will win on the basis of better talent across the board. I'll stick with us winning but not covering.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Just sticking to the facts here, D-Mac and F-Jo combined for 41 rushes for 249 yards against Auburn, 37 for 324 against LSU, and 34 for 130 yards against Florida. They had a good day against Auburn, a great day against LSU and a less than stellar day against Florida. Take note for future games that even though they had perhaps their best game of the season against big time competition and their worst game, no matter how they performed, we still lost both games. It takes a team effort and a good game plan. I am not trying to use this to say that Troy is going to beat the Hogs, because that just is not going to happen. But with a sluggish early season performance, it can and probably will be, closer than we would like for it to be.
Go Hogs Go!

HoopS

August 22, 2007, 07:12:01 am #45 Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:54:57 am by HoopSlap
I've gone back and forth on this game.   Never as much as us losing, but certainly struggling a bit has crossed my mind.   I believe it us unfair to judge that Troy team on the Nebraska game alone.  To be fair, one would note that they had lost some key players off of a team lacking quality depth anyway.  And that game followed 2 emotional loses to BCS schools, FSU and Ga Tech.  And in those games, they held their own and had a chance to win both, but left beat up pretty good.

Thier advantage is their passing game vs our secondary.  However, that's from the standpoint of skills vs skills, and we may well hold our own anyway.  But it is their OLine that has to be considered.   It is young.  Sure to make some mistakes.  And that is where we beat them defensively.

Plus our Running game will likely roll up some good numbers.   

We win fairly big, but would I give 28?   Not sure.

RedRiverHog

We will beat the crap out of them. Troy simply can't stop our run. Regardless of what we think/want (Nutts head on a platter), They are as outclassed as a Lottie Dottie Tri-Dealt formal queen on a date with a crackhead.

Snap people......

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 23, 2011, 12:45:49 pm
Then I luuuuuvs the dick.

"Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is free to combat it"  - Thomas Jefferson

"You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." Ayn Rand

The Max Swineberg 7

You guys just don't get it.  Tennessee is implimenting a new offense that will take a while to master.  Auburn graduated many of their best players...off of a team we beat anyway.  Kentucky?  Come on!

We have a Heisman Trophy Candidate, a very easy non conference schedule, and a very favorable conference schedule.  I don't mean 11-0 is going to be easy, but my son could be 9-2 going into the LSU game.  Nutt is finally going to be able to get back to running his offense.  You know I'm not a huge Nutt fan, but even I have to admit that we are 11-0, 10-1 going into the battle of the boot.  There is absolutely no way this gets screwed up.

Get ready for another magical season.  We should experience our first BCS game under Houston.

Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

cbjagman

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 21, 2007, 10:29:38 pm

OFFENSE

DEFENSE

LB's- Avg Ht: 6-0  Avg Wt: 225   2 Seniors, 1 Sophomore

With all the "whatever" that seems to be going on around the program I try not to take anything for granted. For some time I've personally thought that the game might not be quite as easy as some people are thinking. WHile I do think we will win, I don't necessarily think it will be a total pushover. I just hope we take this team seriously and finally start the season 1-0 the way we haven't been able to do the past two seasons with another team from Troy. WPS

wholehog92

I'm just not confident that we are going to "Roll them up".  Their strength vs one of our question marks.  Passing game vs secondary.  The test will be can our d line get enough pressure on the qb to help out. 

I totally agree that our running game should drive for 7 at will.  That being said, I don't want to see that.  I would love for Nutty to work on our passing game when we have someone we know we can run for a score on when needed.  That way when we are playing LSU and they have stopped our run and we have to pass, it's not the first time it's been tried in live competition.  I will consider it a lost opportunity if we don't do this.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.